The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 12th, 2013, 02:38 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporeon7 View Post
Let's look back a bit. In gen I there weren't many legendaries, but let's not worry about it too much, as Pokémon was still growing. Gen II only had 6 legendaries, but I think that is because the regional Pokédex also contained all of gen I's legendaries as well, making a total of 11. From then on, every gen has had 10 or more legendaries. If gen II had released more, they would have had the same problem as gen IV, with too many. Now I know that most of the legendaries aren't able to be caught in the gen II games, but they're still in the regional dex. So that is why I think anywhere under 10 legendaries is fine for gen VI. A couple of event legendaries is important for promotional purposes.
To be really honest, part of me says that it'll be within the 6-7 range, but part of me also says it'll also be around 10 or so. I mean, when I actually counted Gen IV's legendaries, Gen V almost had as much, and I don't think anyone really complained about those(unless I'm missing something?). Maybe this is just my personal bias kicking in because I wouldn't mind having a few more legendaries here and there just for the experience of the new generation, but I really think that there's going to be around 8 or 9 at the most.
Old January 12th, 2013, 03:02 AM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
To be really honest, part of me says that it'll be within the 6-7 range, but part of me also says it'll also be around 10 or so. I mean, when I actually counted Gen IV's legendaries, Gen V almost had as much, and I don't think anyone really complained about those(unless I'm missing something?). Maybe this is just my personal bias kicking in because I wouldn't mind having a few more legendaries here and there just for the experience of the new generation, but I really think that there's going to be around 8 or 9 at the most.
Yes, I pretty much agree with you fully. 8 or 9 gives enough side quests and challenges for everyone, without having too many legendaries.
Old January 12th, 2013, 03:04 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

As long as it wasn't like Gen III and had like 6 cause thats just too low. u_u
Old January 12th, 2013, 03:09 AM
vaporeon7
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
As long as it wasn't like Gen III and had like 6 cause thats just too low. u_u
Actually Gen III had 10:
Groudon
Kyogre
Regirock
Registeel
Regice
Latios
Latias
Rayquaza
Jirachi
Deoxys
Old January 12th, 2013, 03:13 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

WHOOPS mis-counted when I was counting from Serebii rofl I knew something was missing. x_X;

So that being said, if we always had around 10 legendaries since Gen III(give or take a few more), then I suppose it's safe to assume that we'll have the same amount this generation?
Old January 12th, 2013, 03:14 AM
Mujahid
Sir Froakie is impressed.

Nature: Quiet
He probably means Gen 2 .
However, first Gen had only 5.
Old January 12th, 2013, 03:21 AM
vaporeon7
Community Supporter

I think Gen III had the perfect amount. Three mascots, a trio, two event only, and another legendary duo, with one being available and the other becoming an event Pokémon. Perfect if you ask me.
Old January 12th, 2013, 03:50 AM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporeon7 View Post
If the legendaries are NU, I hope they're like Regirock and not Regigigas.
Just as long as they're useful I don't mind what kind of legendaries are in NU. :3 But yeah, some weaker legendaries would be great to see for the lower tiers where they can be embraced.
Old January 12th, 2013, 03:57 AM
Ω Ruby and α Sapphire
Ω & α... Join the Bandwagon!

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Ω Ruby and α Sapphire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
Just as long as they're useful I don't mind what kind of legendaries are in NU. :3 But yeah, some weaker legendaries would be great to see for the lower tiers where they can be embraced.
Hm, but it's not a good look if a Pokemon with the title "Legendary" is scrapping at the bottom of the pack. And with the power creep from Gen to Gen, as much as I'd like it I don't see it happening. But if it did, I'd like it to have a significant impact on the tier, and not just become never used by people who play Never Used.
Old January 12th, 2013, 04:04 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zupplu View Post
Hm, but it's not a good look if a Pokemon with the title "Legendary" is scrapping at the bottom of the pack. And with the power creep from Gen to Gen, as much as I'd like it I don't see it happening. But if it did, I'd like it to have a significant impact on the tier, and not just become never used by people who play Never Used.
Yeahh you do raise a good point, but there are certain legendaries that don't seem to quite make it up there with the rest in OU. :x I mean, take Entei for instance. I mean, my assumption of it(not that I've really faced/played with it) was the fact that it's pretty limited and easy to counter, which is why it doesnt really belong in the higher tiers.

Wouldn't be surprising if there was more Pokemon like that.
Old January 12th, 2013, 05:28 AM
pokemonmasteraaron
The blind Pokémon Master!

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to pokemonmasteraaron
5 legendaries in gen I was a good number for the time though. 5 out of 150 does, in my opinion, make them rare. I think there should be only 5-8 every generation, but I am pretty sure XY will have 9-10
Old January 12th, 2013, 05:35 AM
Azure
» Flame!
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Azure
I think this could possibly give us an in sight to how the legendaries might be designed;

Spoiler:

Old January 12th, 2013, 05:38 AM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Hm... in regards to legendary Pokémon, I've seen it increase 'till Generation V where it was one less than Generation IV.

Generation I had 5
Generation II had 6
Generation III had 10
Generation IV had 14
And finally... Generation V had 13.

So I'm guessing that Generation V is the tipping point where less new legendary Pokémon are made. I'd assume it could go down as low as 7 legendary Pokémon in Pokémon X and Y.

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old January 12th, 2013, 05:41 AM
Azure
» Flame!
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Azure
I hope so, I didn't like how they introduced so many in Gen IV & V. I wonder if they will actually keep it real and introduce a reasonable amount this time, something like 5 would be nice.

Old January 12th, 2013, 05:50 AM
pokemonmasteraaron
The blind Pokémon Master!

Send a message via Skype™ to pokemonmasteraaron
phione doesn't really count as a legendary, does it? I mean, you can get hundreds in just a few hours of nonstop walking and talking.
Old January 12th, 2013, 05:56 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicune™ View Post
I think this could possibly give us an in sight to how the legendaries might be designed;

Spoiler:
I think it's likely that the "Z" mascot ─ calling it that for now ─ could turn out to be an underground or deep sea serpent. That's what I've been thinking anyway.

As far as how many legendaries we'll see, I think we can assume we'll have at least three main title legendaries, the legendary trio, a baby legendary, and possibly another legendary for promotional purposes. That's a total of eight so far. So, anywhere from eight to at least twelve I think could be a good number.

I never like the idea of having too much, especially if we don't get as much new Pokémon compared to previous generations.
Old January 12th, 2013, 06:12 AM
AWsquared
It's another wolf bite.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to AWsquared
I really hope they don't introduce a ton of legendaries. Don't get me wrong, I love alot of the newer legendaries,(Genescet, for example is beast) but Gen IV and V just had too many legendaries. I hope we get only about 5-7 of them, 10 at most.

Mega Sceptile and Treecko for life yo.
DeviantArt |Tumblr | Art Gallery| Ask Me Stuff |Paired to | Avatar source:[x]
Old January 12th, 2013, 07:03 AM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
Eh, I honestly don't mind the number of legendaries this time, as long as they don't have an excessive amount, like... 25 or so. xD

I also hope that the legendaries will be a liiiiit bit more tricky and complex to find this time. I mean, remember how we found out how to get the Regi-trio legendaries in R/S/E? Where we have to get a Wailord and Relicanth and switch them in our party at a specific order, and then we had to solve a puzzle at each of their caves?

Yeeeeah I'd like something like that; it adds to the mystery of them imo. n___n

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old January 12th, 2013, 07:13 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
The puzzle and complexity for unlocking the Regies in RSE was so much fun, I'd love for something like that to come back again. It's an extra challenge, and I think the Pokémon games could use more of that when it comes to finding legendaries. It's especially useful post-game when there's usually nothing left to do plot-wise.
Old January 12th, 2013, 07:23 AM
shubham2207
Metallurgy Master (Excadrill)

Nature: Naughty
I really loved d mirage island concept back in rse, bt dt in-game event was completely based on luck...

If it this concept is cming in 6th gen den it should be based on puzzles just like back in 2nd gen, moving d panels or even like regi one....
Old January 12th, 2013, 07:36 AM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

I do love harder and harder puzzles. n___n Well, especially since I'm a LoZ fan. :3 I wish they'd make harder puzzles on gyms too; make us work for the gym badges just a little bit more. D=

Well, maybe not during the normal playthrough, but, for say, expert / challenge mode?

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old January 12th, 2013, 07:46 AM
Vapie
Togepi

Better puzzles would be awesome!
I also think rather than adding tons of legendaries, they add more interactable Pokemon that aren't always legendary. I think someone brought this up already, but like Sudowoodo and whatnot. I love Pokemon like that, and it makes me want to use them because I feel the game is giving me something special (Red Gyarados).
Either way, if they do release a crap ton I hope they are really cool and have a good back story.
Old January 12th, 2013, 08:05 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

I'm...pretty indifferent about gym puzzles. Just don't make something that's ridiculously/unnecessarily hard, and we're cool. XD
Old January 12th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Perrie ✿
11/05/1982 - 13/07/2013
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
I like a good gym puzzle but not like Sabrina type because that was the bane of my childhood. Along with Pryce's gym. I hope that they are a bit challenging since BW/BW2 were kinda bad except for Clay's BW2 layout.

1349 6159 4149 // 1174 [TSV]
(feel free to add)
Old January 12th, 2013, 08:16 AM
Vapie
Togepi

I'm more rooting for puzzles for legendaries, like Rayquaza. That one was so frustrating, but it was the major one so it should've been difficult.

Sponsored Links