Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 15th, 2013 (04:24 PM).
pokemonmasteraaron
The blind Pokémon Master!

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to pokemonmasteraaron
I've previously mentioned 2 or more times how likely I find unova being a second region in X/Y . It makes too much sense.
Old January 15th, 2013 (04:37 PM).
Blue
c'est la vie
Community Supporter

The transition from the DS to the 3DS and adjusting to the leap in graphics will be most difficult for me.
Old January 15th, 2013 (04:40 PM).
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
If they change the four direction walking to the circle pad, that'll take getting used to as well.
Old January 15th, 2013 (05:06 PM).
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Quote originally posted by vaporeon7:
If they change the four direction walking to the circle pad, that'll take getting used to as well.
I've got news for you...most 3DS games do that. Frankly, I like having both pads useable; it helps my Audino hunting, if you think about it, by being able to push on both pads in opposite directions and being able to manipulate the circle pad go in such a way that one goes back and forth without stopping.

If they disable the normal control pad from this function, I will be VERY disappointed.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old January 15th, 2013 (08:12 PM).
Yuoaman
Legen- wait for it...
Community Supporter

Giving free control would make it much more difficult on the hands of the developers. A tile-based movement system allows them to control under what circumstances you'll be challenged to battle by a trainer, with free control you'd get situations like, "HE BARELY EVEN SAW ME!" which would make avoiding them next to impossible.

Suit Up!
Awesome REGULAR MEMBER THAT OCCASIONALLY FREQUENTS FORUMS.

"pps new screenie" - No, really shut up yuoaman.

Haaave you read my LP?
Pokémon Quartz - The only one of mine really worth reading.

What about my [Un]Abridged series?
Aquaman the Unabridged Parody Series - Language warning.

The Playbook: My Anime List | Raptr | BackLoggery | Twitter

83% of this signature is empty space.

-dary!
Old January 15th, 2013 (08:13 PM).
pokemonmasteraaron
The blind Pokémon Master!

Send a message via Skype™ to pokemonmasteraaron
Besides, serebii says that it keeps grid based movement, right?
Old January 15th, 2013 (08:18 PM).
jfuze174
Elite Trainer Joey

Nature: Calm
Hope the starters grow on me same way as gen V I hated the starters at first now I need a snivey for my back up party

Safari Grass: PanSage - Maractus - Sawsbuck
Old January 15th, 2013 (08:38 PM).
Alli
kong

Nature: Timid
I hope it keeps grid based movement. I don't like the sound the circle pad makes. I know that sounds weird but I just don't. XD Especially when you're running back and forth. But idk, Pokemon works so well grid based. I can't imagine being able to run all over the place in any direction I wanna go.
paired to diddy

Old January 15th, 2013 (08:41 PM).
Echidna
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote originally posted by Sydian:
I hope it keeps grid based movement. I don't like the sound the circle pad makes. I know that sounds weird but I just don't. XD Especially when you're running back and forth. But idk, Pokemon works so well grid based. I can't imagine being able to run all over the place in any direction I wanna go.
I second this. At least wait till we move on to bigger better things (aka better quality 3D game-play, similar to the likes of Gale of Darkness and what not) to introduce free roaming movement system .-.

Old January 15th, 2013 (09:05 PM).
.EJ
Arrow<3
Community Supporter Tier 1

I'd like a break from the grid system we're all accustomed to but I doubt GF would break away from that.
Old January 15th, 2013 (09:09 PM).
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

It works best grid-based, yes. But remember that The Legend of Zelda was entirely grid-based (ALTTP as well, and other later games in the series), but Ocarina of Time removed grid-based completely and made it a lifelike world. The fact it exists on the 3DS proves it is indeed possible to put such a lifelike game on a handheld. They could very well do it if they want to here, as well.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old January 15th, 2013 (09:09 PM).
Forever
let it go

I like the way we can walk now :( Learning a new way would take a while to get used to, and even still when I'm playing my GBA I get confused as to what I'm doing because I'm used to the DS. It's different, but I mean it's still something. XD; I'd rather not have to change to using a new pad for that. :x
Old January 15th, 2013 (09:12 PM).
.EJ
Arrow<3
Community Supporter Tier 1

I don't doubt that they CAN do it, but the grid system is also tied in to the grass, repel, and encounter system isn't it?
Old January 15th, 2013 (09:42 PM).
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Quote originally posted by .EJ:
I don't doubt that they CAN do it, but the grid system is also tied in to the grass, repel, and encounter system isn't it?
I'd imagine it is. Kinda hard to change that. They could use a co-ordinate system but then the risk of a grassy area generating no battles - or the opposite, no grass and wild encounter - exists.

Cyclone

Old January 15th, 2013 (10:34 PM).
CynicalGiant
Unhatched Egg

I suppose it'll work just like Colosseum movement system did, just slightly more advanced.
Old January 15th, 2013 (11:44 PM).
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
Quote originally posted by CynicalGiant:
I suppose it'll work just like Colosseum movement system did, just slightly more advanced.
I think it'll be like that as well.

It just feels weird to me that a completely 3D game would use a grid-lock system.

My Proposed PokeCommunity Dungeons & Dragons game. Leave a comment if interested.
Old January 16th, 2013 (01:20 AM).
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Quote originally posted by CarcharOdin:
I think it'll be like that as well.

It just feels weird to me that a completely 3D game would use a grid-lock system.
I agree, but in the trailer it did look a bit grid-locked.
Old January 16th, 2013 (03:17 AM).
Blue
c'est la vie
Community Supporter

If its anything like Colosseum I'm sure it will be fine.
Old January 16th, 2013 (04:31 AM).
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Eh. I don't think it'll be that big of a deal, but then again, I'm the kind of person that welcomes change! Like others have said before me, if it has worked previously with Colosseum and XD, then I don't see why we shouldn't at least give this game's battle system a chance!
Old January 16th, 2013 (04:59 AM).
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
I... don't think it's likely that they'll skip over the big 360 degree circle control pad. ;-; I mean, if it's akin to 3D-axis, then... they'll have directional movement, I mean, why not?

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old January 16th, 2013 (05:02 AM).
NightGlider
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Calm
Here's my theory. Iwata, during the announcement, seemed to be making a big deal of worldwide such as worldwide release. Could this mean that you can go all around the world in X/Y and visit the other regions?
Old January 16th, 2013 (05:12 AM).
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

The possibility is in the air~ In a thread I made called Dimensions in Space, I've kiiiind of asked how maybe if these games were named after the 3D dimensions of well, the axis of the 3DS, perhaps dimensions, or... other familiar places could come to play there. Then again, with that, I've wondered about a theory about the region being set on another universe.. xD

Well, anyway, while the possibility is in the air, I'm not entiiiiirely sure about it, because perhaps GF would much rather put emphasis on this new region instead of the old ones? Well, even if that's the case, they could have little cameos or small islands that link to previous regions.

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games

Sylvie
Old January 16th, 2013 (05:27 AM).
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
I think GameFreak is still pretty attached to the grid system to give it up, but do think it'll eventually happen one day to come.

Quote originally posted by NightGlider:
Here's my theory. Iwata, during the announcement, seemed to be making a big deal of worldwide such as worldwide release. Could this mean that you can go all around the world in X/Y and visit the other regions?
Maybe, maybe not. It's never entirely out of the question. But it definitely wouldn't be all of the regions. There are some who think Unova will be connected to replicate Kanto and Johto, but I sort of have my doubts since Unova is said to take place in New York, while this new region seems to be based off of France.
Old January 16th, 2013 (05:31 AM).
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Quote originally posted by Aerilyn:
Maybe, maybe not. It's never entirely out of the question. But it definitely wouldn't be all of the regions. There are some who think Unova will be connected to replicate Kanto and Johto, but I sort of have my doubts since Unova is said to take place in New York, while this new region seems to be based off of France.
Travel via air-travel to Mistralton City maybe? :3

Well, then again, it takes about... I dunno, 20 hours to go from NY to France? Then again, it is the pokeworld.

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games

Sylvie
Old January 16th, 2013 (05:45 AM).
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote originally posted by Miss Doronjo:
Travel via air-travel to Mistralton City maybe? :3

Well, then again, it takes about... I dunno, 20 hours to go from NY to France? Then again, it is the pokeworld.
This is true actually. Since the inclusion of newer transportation like airplanes, it wouldn't be necessary for regions to be attached if they wanted to include more than one. But with Unova having Black and White and a direct sequel, I'm not sure how much more they could really put into the region to make it worthwhile where they could instead use to develop this new region.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links