The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 4th, 2013, 04:04 AM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicune™ View Post
I'd like Beedrill to get a boost too, a BST of 385 is pretty poor given that it's at the final evolution. If it were to gain Speed Boost I think Butterfree would have to get an equally enhancing ability, same goes for Dustox & Beautifly.
They already have Quiver Dance at least.
Old February 4th, 2013, 06:47 AM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

Nature: Quirky
The only way to save NU Pokemon from being NU is a base stat revamp, which is a possibility given that each even-numbered gen changes something from the game mechanic. Gen II had the special stat split, and Gen IV had the physical/special move split.
Old February 4th, 2013, 07:42 AM
CycloneGU
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporeon7 View Post
Actually in my experience in battling competitions, I'd say more than half of the top players used Amoonguss.
So? Not a single World Championship finalist last year used one. Clearly the users of Amoonguss didn't make it!

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old February 4th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Hm... it makes me think about which older Pokémon would end up with improved BST and when the new Pokémon get revealed... seeing how high their BST would be in Pokémon X and Y.

It'll be interesting to see what happens.

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old February 4th, 2013, 09:20 AM
vaporeon7
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
The only way to save NU Pokemon from being NU is a base stat revamp, which is a possibility given that each even-numbered gen changes something from the game mechanic. Gen II had the special stat split, and Gen IV had the physical/special move split.
Nope, as mentioned earlier, Politoed used to be NU and thanks to one addition in Drizzle, it is now one of the most common Pokémon in OU.

Quote:
So? Not a single World Championship finalist last year used one. Clearly the users of Amoonguss didn't make it!
Well at my local one, the winner did in fact use one. Pokémon that may not be in OU can still easily be used there. Such as Riolu.
Old February 4th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Cordelia
Banned

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Nope, as mentioned earlier, Politoed used to be NU and thanks to one addition in Drizzle, it is now one of the most common Pokémon in OU.

Well at my local one, the winner did in fact use one. Pokémon that may not be in OU can still easily be used there. Such as Riolu.
Doubles definitely allows Pokemon who aren't used much or at all in singles a chance to shine. Zapdos is UU in singles but crazy awesome in doubles... along with Cresselia. Amoonguss is another favorite along with Dusclops. Just nice to have different options.
Old February 4th, 2013, 12:09 PM
vaporeon7
Community Supporter

I think they'll keep the seasons, if they didn't, what would happen to Deerling and Sawsbuck?
Old February 4th, 2013, 12:11 PM
MarrMii
Unhatched Egg

I think they have the idea of the new X and Y version wrong...Since its on the 3DS...The pokemon adventure is fully 3 dimensional. The X,Y and Z axis are responsible for the creation of this 3 dimensional view of the pokemon world and each legendary represents an axis.Without their existence the world would be void. The bad guys are gonna be called team oblivion and their goal is to destroy the three legendaries to somehow start a new world...
Old February 4th, 2013, 12:38 PM
.EJ
Arrow<3
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Relaxed
Naturally that makes sense to ask about Deerling and Sawsbuck, but let's look at Leafeon, Glaceon, Magneton, etc. You couldn't evolve them in HeartGold/SoulSilver unless you traded back to D/P/Pt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarrMii View Post
I think they have the idea of the new X and Y version wrong...Since its on the 3DS...The pokemon adventure is fully 3 dimensional. The X,Y and Z axis are responsible for the creation of this 3 dimensional view of the pokemon world and each legendary represents an axis.Without their existence the world would be void. The bad guys are gonna be called team oblivion and their goal is to destroy the three legendaries to somehow start a new world...
[citation needed]

Last edited by .EJ; February 4th, 2013 at 01:01 PM.
Old February 4th, 2013, 01:39 PM
vaporeon7
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by .EJ View Post
Naturally that makes sense to ask about Deerling and Sawsbuck, but let's look at Leafeon, Glaceon, Magneton, etc. You couldn't evolve them in HeartGold/SoulSilver unless you traded back to D/P/Pt.
There are always Pokémon you can't catch in every game though. You can't really explain Deerling and Sawsbuck.
Old February 4th, 2013, 01:44 PM
ilovejirachi123
Unhatched Egg

i don't mean to sound stupid but what exactly is a UN and a OU pokemon.
Old February 4th, 2013, 01:56 PM
CycloneGU
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejirachi123 View Post
I want to know this, too. For now, I found this: OU Pokémon - Smogon University.

EDIT: Clicking a link there tells me "UN" is a typo. OU is "Overused", NU is "Never Used".

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old February 4th, 2013, 01:58 PM
zoroarkrules25

I believe that it is based on the legend that was brought up where they represent the land, air, and sea. I think the new villains will be knights and another team of scientists. It would be one team conquering the region with methods that were used in the past like fighting with swords and pokemon. The scientist team could represent trying to conquer the region with new technology and maybe genetically alerted pokemon like porygon, etc. It probably won't happen though. I saw an interesting rumor for the game that states that the starters evolutions become European based. It said that froakie became electric and water and resembles a viking, fennekin becomes fire and psychic and resembles a wizard and chespin becomes grass and fighting and looks like a knight with chestnut armor. It also mentioned some other pokemon, some of which were based on European culture.
Old February 4th, 2013, 01:59 PM
vaporeon7
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneGU View Post
I want to know this, too. For now, I found this: OU Pokémon - Smogon University.

Cyclone
It's actually NU.

They're some of the tiers in Smogon's tier system.
Tiers are as follows: NU, RU, BL2, UU, BL, OU and Uber.
There is also LC, Limbo and NFE.

The tiers system is explain in detail here.
Old February 4th, 2013, 02:00 PM
Azure
» Flame!
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Azure
NU - Never Used. These are the Pokemon that aren't often used, this is mainly due to those Pokemon that are over looked or have poor statistics.

OU - Over Used. These are Pokemon that are used more than others, this is mainly due to useful abilities or a sturdy BST.

Old February 4th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote:
Not a stupid question. In competitive battling, there are tiers that help divide Pokémon into certain brackets based on how frequent they are used and how useful they are in competitive battling. There are more than just "NU" (I believe that's what you mean) and "OU" as listed below:

Uber
: Typically Pokémon banned from being used in other tiers. They usually consist of legendaries but not always.

Over-Used (OU): The most popular tier in the metagame. This consists of Pokémon you're more than likely to see used in the metagame.

Borderline (BL): Pokémon that exceed the expectations for the tier Under-Used, but doesn't exactly fit in the OU bracket.

Under-Used (UU): Pokémon that aren't used very often in competitive battles and you're not likely to see them used most often in the OU tier.

Never-Used (NU): The title isn't to be taken literal, but these are Pokémon that you're not typically going to see being used very much or at all.

Not Fully Evolved (NFE): I think this one speaks for itself.

I think that covers most of it. I haven't been in the competitive scene for such a long while honestly.

Edit: Got my butt whopped by the above posters. But you get the idea now!

I'm expecting X and Y to shake up the metagame scene a bit. At least I hope so, maybe I might get back into it again...or maybe not. But hey, you never know!
Old February 4th, 2013, 02:05 PM
ilovejirachi123
Unhatched Egg

thanks thats good to know now i can join in on the conversation.

something wierd i've noticed is that the professers are named after trees.
Oak,Juniper,Burg.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.

Last edited by ilovejirachi123; February 4th, 2013 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old February 4th, 2013, 02:50 PM
vaporeon7
Community Supporter

Quote:

Oak,Juniper,Burg.
Yes, it's a tradition Pokémon has had. I hope we get another female professor, maybe a younger one that is like a genius.
Old February 4th, 2013, 02:51 PM
zoroarkrules25

Quote:

Oak,Juniper,Burg.
And up to gen 4 almost all the regions towns with gyms were named after colors.
Old February 4th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Azure
» Flame!
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Azure
Maybe they'll choose to divert away from the whole Tree based names for Professors, as much as I'd like to see Professor Maple it's something they could choose to do, they've already changed to letters from Colours.

Old February 4th, 2013, 02:57 PM
vaporeon7
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoroarkrules25 View Post
And up to gen 4 almost all the regions towns with gyms were named after colors.
Hoenn's cities and town weren't named after colours.
Old February 4th, 2013, 03:26 PM
zoroarkrules25

Quote:
Hoenn's cities and town weren't named after colours.
Hm i thought it had a few of them named after colors.
Old February 4th, 2013, 03:42 PM
CycloneGU
Eye of the Storm

Quote:

Oak,Juniper,Burg.
Yes, we've noticed this too and even had a discussion at one point about what the new professor's name will be. We've had Oak, Elm, Birch, Rowan, and Juniper. We also have Ivy...

(Brock: "DON'T MENTION THAT NAME!")

...sorry! I mean, we have this Orange Islands chick who used to be Brock's love interest. She is an anime exclusive as far as I know.

Back to Gen. VI. Professor Pine is an option, as the Swiss Pine is apparently a common tree in France. In fact, I'm going to say this is as good as money in the bank. My call is Pine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoroarkrules25 View Post
Hm i thought it had a few of them named after colors.
Nope. Here's a list (Gym locations italicized):

- Littleroot Town
- Oldale Town
- Petalburg City
- Rustboro City
- Dewford Town
- Slateport City
- Mauville City
- Verdanturf Town
- Fallarbor Town
- Lavaridge Town
- Fortree City
- Lilycove City
- Mossdeep City
- Sootopolis City
- Pacifidlog Town
- Ever Grande City

I defy you to find a name based on a colour.

Cyclone

Last edited by CycloneGU; February 4th, 2013 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Added another reply.
Old February 4th, 2013, 03:59 PM
vaporeon7
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneGU View Post
Yes, we've noticed this too and even had a discussion at one point about what the new professor's name will be. We've had Oak, Elm, Birch, Rowan, and Juniper. We also have Ivy...

(Brock: "DON'T MENTION THAT NAME!")

...sorry! I mean, we have this Orange Islands chick who used to be Brock's love interest. She is an anime exclusive as far as I know.

Back to Gen. VI. Professor Pine is an option, as the Swiss Pine is apparently a common tree in France. In fact, I'm going to say this is as good as money in the bank. My call is Pine.

Nope. Here's a list (Gym locations italicized):

- Littleroot Town
- Oldale Town
- Petalburg City
- Rustboro City
- Dewford Town
- Slateport City
- Mauville City
- Verdanturf Town
- Fallarbor Town
- Lavaridge Town
- Fortree City
- Lilycove City
- Mossdeep City
- Sootopolis City
- Pacifidlog Town
- Ever Grande City

I defy you to find a name based on a colour.

Cyclone

I DEFY YOU HEART MAN.

I like Syd's idea of Professor Mendal. After the guy who did that bean genetics experiment.
Old February 4th, 2013, 04:05 PM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Why not call the proffesor Pea after the plant Mendel observed genetics on. Thoguh when I think of Proffesor Pea I think of a short kid...

ORAS have been confirmed Remakes by Nintendo, they aren't Sequels so let go of that idea people.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links