The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old Posted February 10th, 2013 (07:30 AM).
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
This, omg.

I'm going to tell you guys this right now, if Fennekin becomes Fire/Psychic, there is absolutely no way that it's going to become OU in any sense of the word. Shadow ball spammers are everywhere(read: Alakazam/insert other faster, more powerful psychic types here), and not only that, that would leave Fennekin completely walled by every single water type that exists. And not only this, but it would be walled by every single Pokemon that remotely resembles something like Blissey. It just wouldn't really be a good matchup at all, nevermind the stealth rock weakness. Plus, let's not mention the disappointing Dark weakness here.
To be fair, I wouldn't judge that it won't be OU yet. People have said that when Volcarona was revealed, it was never going to be OU because it was x4 weak to SR, and Rock moves are everywhere in OU. But, it's stats were quite powerful, and Quiver Dance is just amazing. So despite it's possible ghost weakness, It can still have a very decent moveset and stat structure that might prove overpowering for UU. Plus, Ghost moves aren't that common in OU other than a few pokemon users of course.

...Then again it can still have trouble against Drizzle teams and Sandstorm teams, so that an be something.

But, we'll just have to see. If anything, I'm still betting that it might be part electric somewhere; Fire/Electric miiight be an interesting typing!

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old Posted February 10th, 2013 (07:34 AM).
Forever
let it go

Quote:
I'm going to tell you guys this right now, if Fennekin becomes Fire/Psychic, there is absolutely no way that it's going to become OU in any sense of the word. Shadow ball spammers are everywhere(read: Alakazam/insert other faster, more powerful psychic types here), and not only that, that would leave Fennekin completely walled by every single water type that exists. And not only this, but it would be walled by every single Pokemon that remotely resembles something like Blissey. It just wouldn't really be a good matchup at all, nevermind the stealth rock weakness. Plus, let's not mention the disappointing Dark weakness here.
On the plus side it could be interesting for NU at least, assuming that the dark etc mons outspeed it in the other tiers, which'd leave it fitting in perfectly in NU. It definitely needs a strong mon, and fire/psychic will fill something great - replace what Emboar had and keep Sawk in line, as well as having a STAB to destroy Gardevoir/Musharna.

I'd really like it to be NU if it has that typing :x
Old Posted February 10th, 2013 (07:39 AM).
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Doronjo View Post
To be fair, I wouldn't judge that it won't be OU yet. People have said that when Volcarona was revealed, it was never going to be OU because it was x4 weak to SR, and Rock moves are everywhere in OU. Despite it's possible ghost weakness, It can still have a very decent moveset and stat structure that might prove overpowering for UU. Plus, Ghost and Dark moves aren't that common in OU other than a few pokemon users of course.

But, we'll just have to see. If anything, I'm still betting that it might be part electric somewhere; Fire/Electric miiight be an interesting typing!
But let's be completely honest here: If it wasn't for Volcarona getting Quiver Dance, I really highly doubt that it would've been OU in the first place. iirc, wasn't the very reason Volcarona was used so much was -because- of it's typing at the same time, that it could abuse sun as well as subs to deal maximum damage to it's opponents? That's all fair and well, but QD is what gives it that extra edge, especially dealing massive damage to even special walls that resist it.

And I'll admit, Dark moves aren't particularly overwhelming in OU, but there's still that bit of Pursuit fear linging here and there. ._. Mainly my point, I guess, which is the risk of Fennekin's typing.

But then again, Celebi has way more weaknesses and it's a complete monster to use(when used correctly, of course!). So we'll just have to see whether or not Fennekin(if it -IS- Fire/Psychic) has the moves to balance out it's typing.

But I agree with you, I think Fire/Electric would be interesting(at least, a heck of a lot better than Fire/Psychic imo).
Old Posted February 10th, 2013 (07:41 AM).
Pinkie-Dawn
Airman ga Teosenai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
On the plus side it could be interesting for NU at least, assuming that the dark etc mons outspeed it in the other tiers, which'd leave it fitting in perfectly in NU. It definitely needs a strong mon, and fire/psychic will fill something great - replace what Emboar had and keep Sawk in line, as well as having a STAB to destroy Gardevoir/Musharna.

I'd really like it to be NU if it has that typing :x
No powerful Pokemon deserves to be NU. In fact, the majority of those Pokemon don't deserve to be in that tier at all. Not only because it will leave them as targets for newcomers to poke fun for being inferior to the Pokemon in OU, but it will also ruin these Pokemon's dreams to facing Pokemon like Gyarados and Conkeldurr. From what I've learned from Kingdom Hearts RE: Coded, it's that data do indeed have hearts. It's important that Fennekin, along with Chespin and Froakie, should avoid being NU at all cost.
Old Posted February 10th, 2013 (08:08 AM).
pokemonmasteraaron
The blind Pokémon Master!

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to pokemonmasteraaron
What kind of Pokémon, other than Xernias and Yveltal, do you think are going to be version exclusive?
I'm hoping there is some interesting new Pokémon which are version spesific.
I liked the concept of Lunitone and Solrock, sun and moon Pokémon make perfect rivals.
Old Posted February 10th, 2013 (08:45 AM).
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
No powerful Pokemon deserves to be NU. In fact, the majority of those Pokemon don't deserve to be in that tier at all. Not only because it will leave them as targets for newcomers to poke fun for being inferior to the Pokemon in OU, but it will also ruin these Pokemon's dreams to facing Pokemon like Gyarados and Conkeldurr. From what I've learned from Kingdom Hearts RE: Coded, it's that data do indeed have hearts. It's important that Fennekin, along with Chespin and Froakie, should avoid being NU at all cost.
Um... NU mons are actually really good. It's like not being a staff member on a forum - NU mons are the regular users (which are just as good as anyone else, they just lack the power). Then there's supporters, which are RU mons, mods are UU mons, smods are OU mons and admins are Ubers mons. There's nothing wrong with being a regular member in this case. :) But yeah, it wouldn't be bad if they were in NU, it would create variety there~

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokemonmasteraaron View Post
What kind of Pokémon, other than Xernias and Yveltal, do you think are going to be version exclusive?
I liked the concept of Lunitone and Solrock, sun and moon Pokémon make perfect rivals.
Maybe like a sky/ground theme for the version exclusives could be interesting this generation, imo.
Old Posted February 10th, 2013 (08:48 AM).
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
Just because a Pokémon is placed in the NU tier, doesn't mean someone couldn't use it in an OU battle. However, there are certain Pokémon that are strong in their own right, but compared to the majority of Pokémon that fit the OU tier, they just don't stand up well enough to be used as much in that tier. By all means, if someone wants to use Fennekin's final evolution in their OU team, they can, but if it's outclassed by a lot of the older and upcoming new Pokémon, competitive players will be less keen on using it.

Quote:
I think an Orca and Dolphin Pokémon could make for great version exclusives. Surely, their will be quite a handful of version exclusives other than just the mascots. It's an important marketing tool to persuade people to purchase both versions rather than one or to help promote global trading via Wi-Fi or Wireless Communication.

Speaking of Lunatone and Solrock specifically, I wouldn't mind seeing them each be given a new stage in evolution.
Old Posted February 10th, 2013 (10:17 AM).
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Maybe GF will make another pair of four legends, however they could divide it between the two versions much like how they did so with Groudon and Kyogre in HgSs, and Lati@s for both HgSsB2W2, and Tornadus and Thundurus in BW, in order to make is buy both/increase trade.
Old Posted February 10th, 2013 (11:49 AM).
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaruby and Aquasapphire View Post
Maybe GF will make another pair of four legends, however they could divide it between the two versions much like how they did so with Groudon and Kyogre in HgSs, and Lati@s for both HgSsB2W2, and Tornadus and Thundurus in BW, in order to make is buy both/increase trade.
Since we've seen it happen in more recent Pokémon games, it would be likely for it to happen once again in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y.

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old Posted February 10th, 2013 (12:09 PM). Edited February 10th, 2013 by Victini.
Victini

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderO View Post
It wasn't obvious what Fennekin used in the trailer. Some thought it was a psychic attack, some thought it was a ghost attack, and recently some said it was growl cause the animation surrounding Kirlia looked like a stat down animation to the one who mentioned it.

Other than that, Fennekin can be physical or special bases regardless of what it evolves into. Fire/Fighting we could get a Special Attack Fennekin. Fire/Psychic we can get a Physical Fennekin.
I remember hearing about the Growl animation. However, the waveyness and purpleish color tends to resemble Psychic pretty well in my opinion. Not to mention, Kirlia staggered upon being 'hit' by the supposed Growl. Why would Kirlia stagger if it was just a stat-down move that is just a cute growling sound? It doesn't make any sense. But arguably Fennekin using Psychic in the trailer would be pretty out on a limb.. but maybe not so impossible either. On that note, not everyone worries over competitive prowess, though. Most of us would rather have something different to use, rather than yet another Fire/Fighting. We have plenty of those if you're that concerned over how well Fennekin's final evolution would perform competitively. ^^;

I dunno about you but I'm really tired of that dual type already, and a lot of other people are as well.

That's not to say I'll 'throw a fit' or something though if Fennekin becomes another Fire/Fighting type... I'm just saying that it's terribly boring and redundant. vwv;

.. notthati'llbepickingfennekinanyways. >w>;
Old Posted February 10th, 2013 (12:50 PM).
Hoenn
ロゼリア
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
As long as the Legendary count is below eight for this Generation, I'll be happy. I thought they introduced waaay too many in Gen IV & Gen V..

Playtime : 35:03 | Badges : 6 | Pokédex : 69
Old Posted February 10th, 2013 (12:58 PM).
Guy
just a guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicune™ View Post
As long as the Legendary count is below eight for this Generation, I'll be happy. I thought they introduced waaay too many in Gen IV & Gen V..
Each generation seems to grow in the number of Legendary Pokémon. Only Gen V bucked the trend by having one less ─ not counting Phione in Gen IV. I think the odds are in favor of having about the same number of legendaries as we've had most recently. Although, I too wish they would dial it back down again.
Old Posted February 10th, 2013 (01:08 PM).
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

I don't mind the abundance of legendary pokemon, but, if you've seen my thread about the challenges of finding legendary pokemon, I'm just concerned that they are becoming more and more easier to find, so, I just hope that they will be more mysterious and harder to capture and find.

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old Posted February 10th, 2013 (01:26 PM).
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Quote:
Actually I think eight is the right number. Two version mascots, one third mascot, legendary trio, cute legendary like Mew and one other event legendary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerilyn View Post
Each generation seems to grow in the number of Legendary Pokémon. Only Gen V bucked the trend by having one less ─ not counting Phione in Gen IV. I think the odds are in favor of having about the same number of legendaries as we've had most recently. Although, I too wish they would dial it back down again.
Phione is a legendary btw.
Old Posted February 10th, 2013 (01:29 PM).
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victini View Post
Not to mention, Kirlia staggered upon being 'hit' by the supposed Growl. Why would Kirlia stagger if it was just a stat-down move that is just a cute growling sound? It doesn't make any sense.
If you are trying to refer to older 3D Pokemon games, Gamefreak did this one themselves. None of the Animations in Pokemon X and Y are from older games. For all we know, the Pokemon may stagger for every attack listed in the game. We don't know yet. I still personally think it was Confuse Ray since it was not said what they attack was by official sources.
Old Posted February 10th, 2013 (02:38 PM).
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporeon7 View Post
Actually I think eight is the right number. Two version mascots, one third mascot, legendary trio, cute legendary like Mew and one other event legendary.

I think the least they'll do is 10 as they usually have a duo as well in each generation except V (genetic/clone duo, sun-moon/johto bird duo, Eon/yin yang/sex(gender) duo, and dream/lunar phases duo). Though I can't think of anything they could base it off on...no wonder Unova lacked one...
Old Posted February 10th, 2013 (02:53 PM).
Pinkie-Dawn
Airman ga Teosenai

I don't get the need for less legendaries. GF has found a fitting pattern: a legendary trio, , an endgame trio, a mirage legendary, three event legendaries, and, apparantly common to only odd-numbered gens, two version-exclusive field legendaries.
Old Posted February 10th, 2013 (04:29 PM).
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

I find it actually really highly unlikely that they would include anything less than at least 7 or 8 legendaries in this game. The highest that they'll go is probably 9 or 10, but absolutely no more than that, I feel.
Old Posted February 10th, 2013 (04:46 PM).
Guy
just a guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporeon7 View Post
Some may consider that debatable.

I did make a slight error in my last post though. If Phione is not counted, then Gen V had just as much Legendary Pokémon as Gen IV. If Phione is counted, however, then Gen V has one less like I said.

Quote:
I find it actually really highly unlikely that they would include anything less than at least 7 or 8 legendaries in this game. The highest that they'll go is probably 9 or 10, but absolutely no more than that, I feel.
Gen V introduced thirteen new legendary Pokémon. I wouldn't put it passed GameFreak to reach or pass that if they wanted to. I would like to have around eight to ten though. I feel like that's a reasonable amount.
Old Posted February 10th, 2013 (05:31 PM).
Hoenn
ロゼリア
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
The fact that they have increased the number of legendaries for each generation over the years, even more so for the recent Generations leads me to believe that they will introduce another high amount which will make it even more difficult to adjust too.

Playtime : 35:03 | Badges : 6 | Pokédex : 69
Old Posted February 10th, 2013 (05:33 PM).
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
The fact that they have increased the number of legendaries for each generation over the years, even more so for the recent Generations leads me to believe that they will introduce another high amount which will make it even more difficult to adjust too.
I like what Shivi said, so I'm going with 8 to 10 as a more reasonable amount, but I don't think they're going to do something like introduce 15 or more legendaries, that seems a bit excessive.
Old Posted February 10th, 2013 (05:40 PM).
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
12 legendaries this time round, no doubt about it. 3 events, 3 mains, 1 pixie, a trio, and 2 sidequest legends. Roamers are out, as is the silly notion that 2 trio's are needed. 2 sidequest legends means I'm expecting something like Darkrai/Cresselia, but more fleshed out.
Old Posted February 10th, 2013 (06:07 PM).
Forever
let it go

I don't think there will be too many legendaries. I mean I'm not opposed if there's a lot but just because there was a lot in the past it doesn't mean there will be this time around as GF likes to break patterns. :(
Old Posted February 10th, 2013 (07:09 PM).
pokemonmasteraaron
The blind Pokémon Master!

Send a message via Skype™ to pokemonmasteraaron
People have a way of posting what I want to say right before I am going to say it.
Gamefreak has no pattern now. Too much has changed with 5th gen.
I'm not sure if there will be as many legends this time. The hints seem to leen toward less new Pokémon in general, so less legends makes sense
Old Posted February 10th, 2013 (07:46 PM).
Community Supporter

Quote:
People have a way of posting what I want to say right before I am going to say it.
Gamefreak has no pattern now. Too much has changed with 5th gen.
I'm not sure if there will be as many legends this time. The hints seem to leen toward less new Pokémon in general, so less legends makes sense
True, even gens tend to release less new pokemon compared to the odd generations (two out of three had 150 +, well one being the first one). However Sinnoh had the most legends yet despite having 107 leaving 12-13 percent (depending in how one thinks of phione) of it's new mon to be legends...so they could go back to gen III number or go beat gen IV's record.

Sponsored Links