Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Computers & Technology
Reload this Page "Mouses and Trackpads and Touchscreens, oh my!"

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Computers & Technology The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

View Poll Results: What do you use to control the cursor on your computer
Mouse 21 91.30%
Trackpad 2 8.70%
Touchscreen 0 0%
Other (e.g. trackpoins and trackballs) 0 0%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 8th, 2013 (09:46 AM).
Boomburst
Community Supporter

Nature: Rash
Do you use a Mouse, Trackpad or anything else to control your computer?

I use a ASUS that came with one of my dad's old laptop and it's the best mouse I have ever used. It's very easy to hold and it comes with a button to boost it's sensitivity.

The laptop I have has a multitouch trackpad and a trackpoint. They are both useful as well. The trackpad is good for web browsing and the trackpoint is great for games which use the keyboard.

Speaking of keyboards, I use the one I have in my laptop and it's quite nice. It also has a numpad, something which too many laptop keyboards lack.

TYRANNASNORE.
REVIEW BLOG.
Old January 8th, 2013 (02:47 PM).
Brendino

Nature: Quiet
I much prefer using a mouse over a trackpad (even when I was using a laptop for a while, I plugged in my USB mouse to use that instead). I also like using touch screens, but I think that they're better suited for something like a smartphone or tablet, as I don't think I could see myself sitting there at a desk and preferring a touch screen monitor over a simple mouse.
Pokémon Poll of the Week #5: Literal Pocket Monsters

Moderator of Pokémon General
Old January 11th, 2013 (03:14 AM).
Aeon
Dayum, son. Where'd you find this?
Community Supporter

I always go for a mouse first, despite mine being the verge of replacement. The track pad is okay for when I'm in a situation where I don't have a mouse, but touch screens are only something I can do with mobile devices only (that includes tablets.)
Old January 11th, 2013 (09:54 AM).
Axeliira
Buoysel is best 🍐

Nature: Brave
I prefer mouse since it's more manageable to use. Lately, however, I am very intrigued by the use of touchscreens on computers and laptops. But I'm still *attached* to the use of mice though...it's so comfortable! D:

Old January 11th, 2013 (09:56 AM).
JayD
I‘m not going to die. Because I’m the one who will protect you.
Community Supporter

Mouse. Since I'm a PC gamer, I prefer using the mouse over every other cursor controllers.
Old January 11th, 2013 (02:53 PM).
Tsutarja
not so smug

Nature: Jolly
I use both trackpads and mice. Although, I will choose mice because I do use my desktop more than my laptop.

I can't actually stand using a mouse on my laptop since I tend to lie back and relax often when using my laptop, and if I am on a flat surface, it's just gotten to me that I associate a trackpad with a laptop. Also, I don't like tapping at all on trackpads either.
Old January 13th, 2013 (10:27 AM).
Hybrid Trainer
My Secrecy. My Advantage.

It depends on what I'm using really. I don't really have a preference for controling my cursor when it comes to general computer work. If I'm using a laptop I'll probably use the track pad and if I'm using a desktop chances are I'll be using a mouse.
If I'm playing a game that uses the mouse quite a lot though, such as first person games where the camera is controlled through the mouse movements, I'll tend to always use a mouse no matter what I'm using. The same goes for if I'm designing something I'll tend to go with a mouse instead of the track pad since I can work more precisely with it.

As for touchscreens though, unless it's made for a phone or something where the software/OS I'm using is made to work best with a touch screen I'll tend to avoid them.

"I am confident that if anyone actually penetrates our facades, even the most perceptive would still be fundamentally unprepared for the truth of House Dimir."
-Szadek, Lord of Secrets

Old January 13th, 2013 (11:23 AM).
Kura
twitter.com/kuraberrym

Nature: Serious
I mostly use the trackpad since I have a laptop but I also use a tablet (for drawing) and when I'm at work I use the mouse. Either the mouse or trackpad are good for general stuff but I couldn't live without the tablet for art!
Old January 13th, 2013 (01:59 PM).
Mr Cat Dog
<insert witty eloquence here>

Nature: Relaxed
Trackpad for my laptop. Mouse for my desktop at work. The reverse of both just feels weird... and yes, I've tried both.
Old January 13th, 2013 (02:42 PM).
Arcturus.
Chews nails and spits napalm

Mice all the way. I just can't use trackpads easily. Touchscreens are really best suited for mobile devices.
CSS|VM/PM|THEME
Old January 14th, 2013 (02:33 AM).
Starry Windy
Bring your melody to life
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Starry Windy
I usually use Mouse to control my PC.
Old January 14th, 2013 (11:34 AM).
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

Nature: Adamant
I use a mouse 99% of the time unless I'm in the kitchen and I bring my laptop with me. The trackpad is tolerable for a short amount of time, but it just doesn't give me as much freedom as I'd like.
Old January 19th, 2013 (08:21 PM).
Hannah
the seasons pokémon
Community Supporter

I use a mouse even though I'm on a netbook. It's much easier to draw with, and since I don't have a Crafts tablet, a mouse is all I have.

— Abraham Verghese, Cutting for Stone
Old January 20th, 2013 (07:52 AM).
Cordelia
Banned

Nature: Sassy
I have a laptop, so I use a trackpad to move the cursor around. Since I sit in a chair and not at a desk, that makes it much easier for me than lugging a mouse around and having no where to use it.
Old February 16th, 2013 (01:35 PM).
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Since I generally use my laptop for everything I do on the computer, the trackpad would be my first choice. As for touchscreen, I think those work better for phones and tablets. I wouldn't want that as my main control for navigating a computer, not even with the basic stuff. It feels so foreign to me.
Old February 16th, 2013 (01:57 PM).
R.F.
Commander

Nature: Lonely
I'm using a mouse since I'm kinda attached to it. Even the fact that I'm owning a graphics tablet can't keep me away from using my mouse for drawing xD
Old February 16th, 2013 (02:11 PM). Edited February 16th, 2013 by Playful_Weasel.
Playful_Weasel
can I have a Pokepuff?
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Skype™ to Playful_Weasel
I use a regular basic and cheapest USB mouse I can find, on my PC, as long as the mouse works I'm good. I won't spend it on any fancy mouse or other similar items (all my extra funds I use for Pokemon merchandise).

Death Metal Fan - Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel, Deicide, Nile, Divine Empire ♪
Old February 16th, 2013 (02:13 PM).
awolfsquared
Not wearin glasses.I wanna look awesome.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to awolfsquared
I use a mouse since the only thing I have is a desktop. The only time I see myself using something else is if I'm using a phone or tablet and I don't have neither of those. I'm so used to using a mouse that I'll probably get one when I get a laptop eventually or learn to adjust to using a trackpad.
Old February 16th, 2013 (02:33 PM).
Caelus
Gone

I use a laptop more than a desktop so I tend to use a trackpad, but if I had the money and will I would buy a mouse for my laptop. I mean I don't have a problem using a trackpad at all, it's just that a mouse is easier to use.
Old February 24th, 2013 (05:41 PM). Edited February 24th, 2013 by Otter Mii-kun.
Otter Mii-kun
Molly, you're cute ;)

Although my primary system is a laptop, I have a USB mouse plugged into it most of the time, as I'm most comfortable using a mouse more than anything else. Trackpads are much more cumbersome for me to work with, although I have used trackpoints on some other laptops in the past, which seem to be easier for me to use than sliding my finger across a pad below the keyboard.
Old February 25th, 2013 (04:16 AM).
Twiggy
Slender snake
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
It depends on what I'm using, and how much room I have, and how I'm using the device. The click pad is very convenient - it's much better than regular track pads as I can click anywhere without resorting to a light tap. I prefer my things physical. It's also the only option when I don't have space or when I use up all 3 USB ports (I really need to get a BT mouse)

For precision work, though, I need a mouse. It's also more comfortable in the long run.

(I won't vote, because I'm both on average.)
Old February 25th, 2013 (06:36 AM).
Seki
You idiot!

Nature: Jolly
Mouse, because I don't really like using Trackpads, I can't stand touchscreens because I always like to touch them for no apparent reason.

VM | PM | MyAnimeList | Theme | Pairs | Previously
Old February 25th, 2013 (07:25 AM).
Talli
Tsunderes forever

Nature: Naughty
Mouse is easier for me to use that a trackpad and I hate using touch screens as I hate greasing screens up. Even though I use a laptop I need a mouse for it.
Old February 25th, 2013 (08:14 AM).
Renpuu
Gengar !

It's all about the USB wired mouse ! I use my PC for gaming, so I could not play without one ! Even when I use a laptop, I prefer it to be setup on a desk with a mouse !
Mice are very important depending on what you plan to use your computer for. I bought a gaming mouse and I don't think I will want to use anything without extra side mouse buttons as they can be very useful. Even wireless devices just gives this horrible delay which is noticeable if you're used to being on computers for long periods of time or have to input actions very quickly.
Wireless keyboard and mice combos are just horrible for me to use due to delay and also the battery usage can be annoying as sometimes it will delay more and sometimes you don't know if it's the battery or just the receiver being in a poor signal area.
I'm currently using a Cyborg Saitek V.3 Mouse and a Microsoft Sidewinder X4 keyboard. Very happy with both as they are budget input gaming devices and I'd recommend them to anyone.
Old March 3rd, 2013 (10:55 PM).
Emilia
Relapsed

Nature: Careful
Touch screens are very nice on tablets, and I don't mind trackpads for general use, but, for anything requiring accuracy, I like a mouse. One problem with trackpads is that, unless your laptop has a large one, you can't always traverse the screen in one swipe.

Emilia • 16 • Platinum • SoulSilver

the amber fuji & ambertwo club
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links