The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 8th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Jak
where the fairy flies

Nature: Timid
How would you feel if they redid the EV/IV system? Or even changed natures? Or removed them? Not to be confused with the thread on changing stats on older Pokemon btw. This is for these specific systems.

I personally hope they don't do that. I think it's pretty on point and a decent concept to grasp and use, and it's been in place for three generations so far. Had it not worked in gen III when it was initially changed, I think it would have been fixed in gen IV or V, so yeah. It's probably staying. I don't see them scrapping natures either. This is coming from a non-competitive battler, though. So I assume someone that actually battles might have something different to say.
Old January 8th, 2013, 02:44 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
I would hate to see it changed. It would be very annoying to learn it all again. Plus when the changed how it worked in Gen II to Gen III, we were unable to connect between the two Gens because of it.
Old January 8th, 2013, 02:45 PM
masaru3
Chespin, I choose you!

I hope that we can actually see the amount of EVs we have in our pokémon. Seriously, on the pokémon page. How much Attack have we trained... A bar or something beneath the stat.
As for IV breeding, I wouldn't mind if they changed it in a way that it would be easier to get our desired offspring. About the natures I wouldn't care if they cut all the neutral natures to just one.
Black 2:
5244 5521 1042
◄ Masaru's Dream World Shop ►
Old January 8th, 2013, 02:45 PM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
Yeah, it was a total annoyance to learn all about it and to get the hang of it in the first place. xD Although, maybe if they re-did them to make the total number of EVs a pokemon can have smaller, it can be easier. But yeah, I would rather not have them remove or add any more natures either. @__@

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old January 8th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Captain Fabio
The Shadow Pokémon

Nature: Lax
I would be sad because it took me ages to learn everything inside out! XD
However, if there was a new/altered system, I would end up learning it anyway. -___-
Old January 8th, 2013, 02:49 PM
Jak
where the fairy flies

I agree with what y'all are saying. I think they should leave it the same, and if anything be done to it, just improve on what we already have, like letting us have an EV calculator and a more accurate IV checker. I think that'd help a lot!

And like Vaporeon7, I really don't want gen III-V Pokemon being incompatible because of EV/IV system changes. That would really suck.
Old January 8th, 2013, 02:49 PM
Mama-Mamo
Togepi

Nature: Brave
I really hope they don't touch this...

Just like everyone else has said, it already took a lot to be able to learn how to manipulate what we want from it... Changing it would just be... uncool.

I feel like the system is solid enough to where it doesn't need to change.

Yellow|HeartGold|Sapphire|Platinum|White

Working on HeartGold!
Old January 8th, 2013, 03:06 PM
Toujours
Howling Poros

Nature: Sassy
Honestly I would love it. I feel like the way EVs work right now they're so boring when you learn them, and they're very simple to learn. I feel like I would like a more dynamic system that didn't lend itself to grinding out EVs tbh.
Old January 11th, 2013, 12:49 AM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!

Nature: Calm
I'd think that it would be good to revamp the EV/IV, as long as it balances it out for every Pokémon, so that no Pokémon would be useless. But I wouldn't like them changing every Pokémon's nature. But I think they should add in new natures into the second slot of Pokémon that only have one nature, depending on what the new nature really is about.

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old January 11th, 2013, 01:25 AM
BLOOOD-La-ti-
This is the place to try!

Nature: Jolly
I wouldn't like that,
plus its pointless to do that.

oh check this out:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/member.php?u=373174
My new account. :3
Old January 11th, 2013, 01:48 AM
Platinum Lucario

Do you think there'll be any new natures in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y? Personally, I would think that there should be some new natures implemented into the game.

I'm thinking of new natures like Creative nature would be nice to have.

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old January 11th, 2013, 02:37 AM
XSky RiderX

I sort of doubt there will be new natures. If there were, I could possibly see them adding a whole new set of them that alter the HP stat, since it's the only stat (other than accuracy/evasion, but those shouldn't count) that isn't affected by natures. Which would be interesting for Pokemon that need the extra HP if 252 EVs wasn't enough.
Old January 11th, 2013, 02:57 AM
Wings Don't Cry
Maybe she's born with it
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Naive
I hope they don't change it except like everyone else is saying they make it possible to see the EVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokémonShinySilver View Post
But I think they should add in new natures into the second slot of Pokémon that only have one nature
I'm a bit confused at what you're trying to say here.

3DS Friend Code: 5155 - 3990 - 6891
Old January 11th, 2013, 03:13 AM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
Natures won't change unless they create a new stat.

EVs aren't exclusive to Pokémon, similar systems are used in many RPG games. I would like to be able to see them in the game, like in those other games. So EVs would become "official".

IVs won't change unless they give them a bigger spread, so instead of going 0-31, they go like, 0-51 or something like that. IVs are one of the core aspects of Pokémon, they're there since 1st gen, and they're what makes all Pokémon different from each other. The probability of having two exactly equal Pokémon is incredibly slim.

Anyway, there's nothing complex about IVs and EVs. I didn't have any trouble learning them when RS were first introduced. What has become fairly complex and requires some time to study, is breeding. Personally I think the PokéGen-like programs take a lot out of the game, because breeding a strong Pokémon takes much effort and knowledge about the game mechanics. It does take very long as well, however, and none of us are paid to play Pokémon, so the time it takes to breed a very strong team could be better spent on other things like actual battles.

Gamefreak, if you ever read this, I want to know why you troll Pidgeot. Talonflame has Gale Wings, Staraptor has good stats and Close Combat, Swellow has Guts, even freaking Fearow has Drill Run. And you troll Pidgeot with Big Pecks, Hurricane, and 10 measly base Speed points. Why, Gamefreak? Is the original bird not good enough for you?
Old January 11th, 2013, 05:00 AM
Platinum Lucario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings Don't Cry View Post
I hope they don't change it except like everyone else is saying they make it possible to see the EVs.

I'm a bit confused at what you're trying to say here.
Actually, what I meant to say was... "I'd think that it would be good to revamp the EV/IV, as long as it balances it out for every Pokémon in gaining more stats and leveling up, so that no Pokémon would be useless. But I wouldn't want any changes to the nature system though, just some new natures."

(I got mixed up with the words Abilities and Natures at the time, oops. :x )

Old January 11th, 2013, 06:32 AM
Cat

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Cat
It's complicated enough as it is for me, removing them wouldn't be such a tragedy either but I don't bother with Natures or EVs/IVs.

Old January 11th, 2013, 06:33 AM
Correspondence

I hoping they don't change the nature system but hopefully they might change the EV/IV system to make some of the weaker pokemon a bit stronger.
Old January 11th, 2013, 06:41 AM
Lockmaster24
Wise words of FizzyStardust

I hope they don't change, I would be annoyed if connectivity between old generations was lost and I would really hate to learning the system again, really they aren't even that hard.

Dialga and Palkia's Loud Adventures
Dialga and Palkia's Loud Adventures 2
Old January 11th, 2013, 06:52 AM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
I hope they don't change the EV/IV system and natures in Gen VI. They made Pokémon training rather...interesting to say the least.

Old January 11th, 2013, 07:03 AM
dragonnathan025
Pokemon Breeder

Send a message via Skype™ to dragonnathan025
I saw something in the description on the preorder for X and Y that the more the Pokemon bonds with you, the more powerful it gets.

I don't know if this simply means that if the happiness gets higher, the stats actually increase, or if this means that the happier it is, that means that it's been in a lot of battles, and has a lot of EVs naturally.

I have to say, I would love it if the Happiness was tied in with IVs, so the happier it got, the more powerful the IVs, gradually increasing throughout the game (to represent how a Pokemon tries harder for someone it trusts), and I guarantee this will make a lot of people happier with the IV system, to get something powerful easier, but it will take a lot of the uniqueness out of most of the Pokemon, so I'm not sure they'd do that in exchange for keeping them unique.

Either way, I wasn't really paying attention to descriptions, does anyone know what this could mean, or if previous games had this same description?
Human hearts are so easily robbed of their hope, and by spending so much time searching for their desires they subject themselves to suffering. Ridiculous! It is because of the human heart that the future is destroyed! Little boy, this is despair. Turn end.
-Aporia

3DS FC: 4613-7043-8558
Black 2 FC: 4471-2023-7231

Friend Safari type: Water
Pokemon:
Bibarel
Gyarados
Frogadier
Old January 11th, 2013, 10:38 AM
MegamanDX
Pokemon/Megaman fan

Nature: Hardy
Send a message via Skype™ to MegamanDX
I put it like this...Any change to the IV/EV system and the competitive people are going to be really pissed off...

If there is any change to the system...Too bad for them,I don't care about IV/EV anyways...

I don't battle competitively and it shows,but I again...don't care...I battle the way I want to anyways.
Old January 11th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Arlo

First - I'd love to be able to see IVs and EVs in-game. That'd make life a whole lot easier.

I've toyed with the notion of leaving the natures as they are, but decreasing the effect - maybe instead of +/- 10%, make them all +/- 5% or something like that. As it stands, I think nature has a bit too much of an impact. I'm not sure, but I don't think that'd have any lasting effect on the competitive metagame, since everything would change - sweepers would have 5% less attack, but walls would have 5% less defense, so it'd even out. And it would make it less punishing to use different natures in-game, which would make it more feasible to use natures that just seem appropriate aesthetically, instead of just Adamant or Jolly physical sweepers and Modest or Timid special sweepers and so on. It'd also make mixed stats and split EVs more viable.

IVs are fine as they are, IMO.

EVs are a bit strange - it doesn't really make sense to gain a greater ability for something solely because of the opponent's ability at it - but I don't know if they could be done better. They could be tied to what the pokemon does - using special attacks gains special attack EVs for instance - and that would make more sense in a way, but that runs into a whole bunch of problems that I won't go into here, so I guess the current system is about the best, odd though it is.

I'd love to see happiness have more of an effect, in part because that'd reward people who are loyal to their pokemon (which has been a fundamental part of the underlying message of the games all along, though only expressed in a handful of evolutions and the base power of Return), and in part, honestly, because there are some players who already rage at the apparently intolerable burden of happiness evolutions, and it'd amuse me to see them rage that much more because they have to actually spend time with a pokemon before it reaches its peak of power.

That last - having happiness have an effect on stats - is one I wouldn't be surprised to see, especially, as noted, with the hint they already dropped. It'll be interesting if they do.
Old January 11th, 2013, 01:04 PM
Vehks

I posted this in a thread before it was locked, but it seems appropriate here:

"Why does the RNG get to decide my Pokémon's ultimate potential? and Don't give me that "it's like a pokemon's DNA!" crap. The player should have full control of a pokemons battle statistics through training.

If they want a DNA system, then damn it, make a proper DNA system! The game has gone 3d, now would be a great time to have pokemon that have different height values, or larger/smaller body types, differing hair/fur styles, ETC. Come on Gamefreak it's 2013, get creative"

I have been saying this for a long time now, the IV system is bad. It has always been bad, in a a turn based game where your pokemon's statistics are so important they should never be handed over to the computer and randomized. Especially, IN THE BACKGROUND!

The worst part about them? IVs can roll ZERO! What the hell? out of 31 they can roll 0... Who at Gamefreak thought that was a good idea? Now your Gardevoir is totally ruined because her Sp. Atk IV has rolled a zero....

Anyway, the point is, something as important as stat allocation should be left up to the effort of the player, not predetermined before they even get a chance to start training. Also, EVs should be made visible to the player, plain as day, in the summary page of your pokémon.

Last edited by Vehks; January 11th, 2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old January 11th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Toujours
Howling Poros

Nature: Sassy
I wouldn't say "rolling a 0" is the worst part, because tbh, there has to be a lowest value. If the numbers were 5 to 36 rolling a 5 would be the exact same thing as rolling a zero.
Old January 11th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Vehks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujours View Post
I wouldn't say "rolling a 0" is the worst part, because tbh, there has to be a lowest value. If the numbers were 5 to 36 rolling a 5 would be the exact same thing as rolling a zero.
The values should never reach that low at all. The whole battle system and how well your pokemon performs is dependent on these values. The fact that they can roll that low at all is just punishing the player and the pokemon for no other reason then to make a haphazard attempt at making pokemon unique. So making some pokemon inherently weaker then others that can NEVER BE CHANGED OR IMPROVED UPON is uniqueness?

Just terrible.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links