The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > The PokéCommunity Archives > Tabletop Games

Notices

Tabletop Games For non-Pokémon discussion about traditional gaming, without the console. Talk about card games, board games, war games, and role playing games here.

Old January 9th, 2013, 09:29 PM
tabor62
PONPONPON
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Seems like no one posted anything related to it here ):

I was wondering if anybody here played Magic the Gathering or not

If you do answer the following questions if you feel like doing so, if not, skip to the last bullet point.

• If so, what deck format do you run? What kind of deck do you use?
• How often do you play?
• What is your opinion on Magic the Gathering?

To answer my own questions:
• I run a Mono Red Burn deck in the Vintage format
• I don't play very often since I don't have many friends to play with
• I think it's a pretty cool game with really good art. My only complaint would have to be all the effects you have to remember.

This kind of sounds like a survey, sorry.
And if this breaks any rules here that I somehow was not aware of, feel free to close it.

Friend Codes
Y

Trade Reviews
Click Here

Ever wonder what goes through my head as I breed Pokemon? Want to see all the steps and pains I take to provide Pokemon for all of you? Well clicky clicky [here].
Old January 9th, 2013, 10:38 PM
digi-kun
Hourai NEET

I generally play Mill in Limited formats, usually booster drafts. I used to have a modern mill deck back when it was standard, but it shifted out and I haven't touched it since. I used to play casual every day, but it ended up kinda fading out. Did limited for the longest time til I ran out of money to casually spend on Magic, so I'm currently on break. The new Ravniva block looks really nice and i want to collect it just for the artwork, but it's all on dual-lands which cost so much ;_;

Overall, it's a pretty well-made game, though recently they've been on a bit of a power creep. It's really nice that they've gone back into a simple theme in Ravnica with the two-color clans.

Partner in crime and fellow singbot: the devilicious iruchii
Old January 10th, 2013, 03:36 AM
Cirrus
dreaming a transient dream.

Nature: Mild
Vintage RDW?! Patrick Sullivan suggests maindeck Searing Blaze.

I am an avid reader of various strategy articles, though I'm too poor to actually play anything other than EDH and my cube ... oh well. I also play limited from time to time.

~あさきゆめみし君と~

さくらの色 いとしさの花 あさきゆめみし君と
そっとそっと口づけをして 涙あふれてく

pair · in tempore momenti · personal vloid playlist
d.c. ii art assets belong to circus. text: tororo.
Old January 11th, 2013, 04:00 PM
tabor62
PONPONPON
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Quote:
Originally Posted by digi-kun View Post
I generally play Mill in Limited formats, usually booster drafts. I used to have a modern mill deck back when it was standard, but it shifted out and I haven't touched it since. I used to play casual every day, but it ended up kinda fading out. Did limited for the longest time til I ran out of money to casually spend on Magic, so I'm currently on break. The new Ravniva block looks really nice and i want to collect it just for the artwork, but it's all on dual-lands which cost so much ;_;

Overall, it's a pretty well-made game, though recently they've been on a bit of a power creep. It's really nice that they've gone back into a simple theme in Ravnica with the two-color clans.
I don't like Mill decks, they mill all my damage cards.

Hmm, I haven't been keeping up with MTG lately so I've no idea what the new set looks like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Vintage RDW?! Patrick Sullivan suggests maindeck Searing Blaze.

I am an avid reader of various strategy articles, though I'm too poor to actually play anything other than EDH and my cube ... oh well. I also play limited from time to time.
I actually have 3 Searing Blaze in my deck so I'm covered there.

Random question time:
Who's Patrick Sulliven? What's cube? Is that a deck type? How are tournaments?

Also, it's a shame this part of the forums get so little traffic.

Friend Codes
Y

Trade Reviews
Click Here

Ever wonder what goes through my head as I breed Pokemon? Want to see all the steps and pains I take to provide Pokemon for all of you? Well clicky clicky [here].
Old January 11th, 2013, 04:55 PM
Cirrus

A cube is basically a limited format where you make your own set and so on and then draft it. (Tons of replay value and oodles of fun! etc.) Patrick Sullivan is a decently well-known Red mage in the tournament scene - and friend of Mike Flores. As for tournaments, I am really happy to see so many cool cards in the tournament scene right now being used from the RTR block (things like Sphinx's Revelation is being played in ... 4-color midrange?!).

~あさきゆめみし君と~

さくらの色 いとしさの花 あさきゆめみし君と
そっとそっと口づけをして 涙あふれてく

Old January 11th, 2013, 07:37 PM
digi-kun
Hourai NEET

I enjoy mill decks for the alternate victory conditions (Poison counters don't count. After killing people too fast with infect, it kinda got boring =_=). Plus the color combo lets me play a bit of control on top of that. My favorite colors have always been Red, Blue and Black, so it's relatively compatible with my playstyle.

Quote:
A cube is basically a limited format where you make your own set and so on and then draft it. (Tons of replay value and oodles of fun! etc.) Patrick Sullivan is a decently well-known Red mage in the tournament scene - and friend of Mike Flores. As for tournaments, I am really happy to see so many cool cards in the tournament scene right now being used from the RTR block (things like Sphinx's Revelation is being played in ... 4-color midrange?!).
One of the guys here played that 5 color Omniscience Door deck. That deck looks so fun but so expensive.

Enter the Infinite + Omniramp -> =_= o O (........................)

Partner in crime and fellow singbot: the devilicious iruchii

Last edited by digi-kun; January 11th, 2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old January 12th, 2013, 03:14 AM
Cirrus

Yeah, Enter the Infinite will definitely be very cool in Omniscience.dek (if only in Legacy, when combined with Burning Wish - but I suspect if Omniscience combo is playable in standard it will be good there as well) - in fact Show and Tell -> Omniscience is actually a solid deck because of Emrakul, Griselbrand, et cetera.

~あさきゆめみし君と~

さくらの色 いとしさの花 あさきゆめみし君と
そっとそっと口づけをして 涙あふれてく

Old January 15th, 2013, 06:57 PM
Haunter Master
Yveltal Fan
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
I run W/U control in Standard format
Like 10 times a week on a good week.
I think it's one of the best card games out, and I think it will be there until the end of time.
Old January 19th, 2013, 07:01 PM
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
Been playing Magic the Gathering quite a while now; can't wait for Gatecrash.

Anyway, for a while, I've been doing Red/Blue burn/control decks, but since Izzet seems hard to manage in the metagame, I've switched to making Aggro rush decks.

Rakdos is looking like my new best friend this time around.
Old January 20th, 2013, 07:32 AM
Hybrid Trainer
My Secrecy. My Advantage.

I have quite a few decks I like to use in MTG. My favourite has to be my B/R standard (I think, it might be modern idk) vampire deck. I'm just a few cards away from making it perfect!
I'm also running a colourless legacy artifact deck and a W modern soldier deck that I'm really enjoying playing though.

I only started playing in late November, early December but since I joined a tabletop society at my uni I've been playing it pretty much none stop and gotten pretty decent at it pretty quickly!

"I am confident that if anyone actually penetrates our facades, even the most perceptive would still be fundamentally unprepared for the truth of House Dimir."
-Szadek, Lord of Secrets

Last edited by Hybrid Trainer; January 20th, 2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 07:33 AM
Gymnotide
8377 | Scorpaeniform

Nature: Naughty
Guys I only logged on to TPC because I saw this MTG thread.

Quote:
Dual lands are ruining the game. Now that we have two dual lands for every color, people are splashing every friggin' color in any given deck. Even though Innistrad is my favorite block so far, I desperately want it and M13 to cycle out so we are only left with Shocklands.

Quote:
One of the guys here played that 5 color Omniscience Door deck. That deck looks so fun but so expensive.

Enter the Infinite + Omniramp -> =_= o O (........................)
Quote:
Yeah, Enter the Infinite will definitely be very cool in Omniscience.dek (if only in Legacy, when combined with Burning Wish - but I suspect if Omniscience combo is playable in standard it will be good there as well) - in fact Show and Tell -> Omniscience is actually a solid deck because of Emrakul, Griselbrand, et cetera.
Eh, Enter the Infinite is an over-hyped card. It is only viable with Omniscience and is a complete dead draw until then. On top of that, once Omniscience is out, you most likely win anyway.

Omnidoor is a thing because it actually works. You ramp to five; Farseek / Ranger's Path gets you access to Overgrown Tomb for black mana. Four Increasing Ambition lets you either get the one copy of Omniscience or Door to Nothingness. You Flash Door to Nothingness on your opponent's end phase with Alchemist's Refuge and exile target player next turn with all the mana ramp you get from Gilded Lotus and Chromatic Lantern. If you picked up Omniscience, you have enough mana left over to flashback Increasing Ambition for Thragfire, to great and humorous effect.

You don't run Enter the Infinite here because you don't run counterspells and ETI makes you die to Sign in Blood. Omnidoor is really only a two-and-a-half color deck though. However, I'm fairly afraid to say that this deck isn't going to be as playable next set because aggro is only getting better.

Furthermore, Cirrus is very right about it being better in Legacy because of Burning Wish. But that's only because Enter the Infinite is a ****** maindeck card.

edit What the hell happened to my signature? :(

"I want to tear myself from this place, from this reality, rise up like a cloud and float away, melt into this humid summer night and dissolve somewhere far, over the hills. But I am here, my legs blocks of concrete, my lungs empty of air, my throat burning. There will be no floating away."

Khaled Hosseini

→ Refresh for a different picture
→ White FC: Haruka 0347 0171 1756

whoever disabled my signature:
my signature is not even close to 300px tall.
i dont understand why it was disabled.

Last edited by Gymnotide; January 22nd, 2013 at 07:40 AM.
Old January 28th, 2013, 06:55 PM
Haunter Master
Yveltal Fan
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Oh my god people.
Gatecrash.
So effing awesome.

Anybody else go to the prerelease?
How did you do?
What Guild did you choose?
What were your best pulls?

I went 2-2-0, it was okay, bad draws for the losses.
I chose Gruul, simply because I prefer really quick aggro decks, and Bloodrush is AMAZING!!
My first pack, I pulled Stomping Ground. That's about it.

I won two packs, and got squat.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links