The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 10th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Darkrai Lv.1000
The Ultimate Dark Pokémon...

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via AIM to Darkrai Lv.1000
I'm not going to use Pokemon from past generations. As always, I'm going to use my starter (most likely Chespin), 4 current-gen Pokemon, and the game's main legendary (which, since I'm getting Y first, will be Yveltal/Skybacon). I do this for all first playthroughs of a Pokemon game. I change it up for the 3rd/other version and use whatever I want.
Old January 10th, 2013, 04:12 PM
Arlo

I always try out the new pokemon first. I usually take the time to catch some of the older ones I particularly like, but they usually just go into the PC, and often never come out again. Sometimes - for instance, if it's one I haven't seen in a long time or never got a chance to use in the past, or if it's one I discover I really need to fill out my team, or if it got some nice new move or a new evolution or something - then I might add it, but otherwise I stick with the new ones, since learning new pokemon is far and away my favorite part of the game.
Old January 10th, 2013, 04:26 PM
Ω Ruby and α Sapphire
Ω & α... Join the Bandwagon!

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Ω Ruby and α Sapphire
I'll be using just new ones! I like learning about all the new Pokemon and getting a feel for who's good or not, that is the most fun part of the game! I probably going to use Chespin for my starter, but then again that could change when the evolutions are unveiled. Even though Pokemon X holds one of the most beautiful legendaries in Xerneas, I won't be using him on my team, because I don't like using them. It's possible that I'll use a old Pokemon if it has a new evolution, but apart from that I'm sticking with the new Pokemon.
Old January 10th, 2013, 04:55 PM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Hm... I'll probably be having a mix of different Pokémon on my team, some from older generations and some from Pokémon X and Y.
And not to also mention the legendary Pokémon as well.
During while I'm playing the main series Pokémon games, I always capture every single Pokémon in the wild that I see. So I'd be pretty much doing the same sort of thing with Pokémon X and Y.

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old January 10th, 2013, 05:20 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
I'll definitely put one or two older generation Pokemon in my team, but I'm more interested in trying out the new Pokemon first and seeing what their full potential is.
Old January 10th, 2013, 05:28 PM
tente2
"Outta my way, dammit!"

Nature: Bashful
I want to have a team with only new Pokemon! The reason, as everybody else has stated, is to get to know the new Pokemon more. Not in terms of statistics, but more in terms of their design and their "personalities", so to speak. I like how Black/White forced everybody to do that; even if previous generation Pokemon are available, I'll try to avoid them.
Old January 10th, 2013, 05:32 PM
TheUglyDucklett
Quack.

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to TheUglyDucklett
I would be so mad if they made Fennekin's evolutions dual fighting like they have with the last three gens. It probably won't happen a fourth time, but I have my finger hovering over the shiny red button as we speak. As for my possible 6th gen team, it'll likely include a majority of the new gen pokemon. I may use a couple of the older pokemon available, but I will certainly catch a good number of the new ones that are interesting in design regardless.

What they really need to do though is make a game where you adventure through 3-5 different regions in one game. I don't really care if it's a portable or tv console game but it needs to happen darnnit... in my honest opinion.
Old January 10th, 2013, 06:05 PM
Xlugon Pyro
Dragon Tamer

Nature: Bold
It all depends on the Pokemon they release. I like to use all new Pokemon but I also like building dragonesque teams but that won't happen most likely since the starters aren't reptiles.

BAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAGAGH...

In a world without substance, a nonsense signature is only appropriate!
Old January 10th, 2013, 06:39 PM
Aryan143
The Fennekin Fan!

Nature: Modest
I usually go for pokemon on the types. A Fire,Water,Grass,Electric,Flying and a filler type.

Please click both of these links once in a day and help us grow:

Old January 10th, 2013, 08:07 PM
BlockedHeart
Pokemon Master

Nature: Brave
It's really early on, but I ALWAYS go for only the current Gen Pokemon... So are, the three starters and legendaries look GREAT! I'm hoping the rest of the region is similar, I'll probably pick Froakie, just cause of the awesome name and look. (I'll have to see the evolution chain though, because it could turn out like Emboar D I have a basic team set up that I always use... Fire, Water, Grass, Electric, Flying, and then one random type that I think will help me get through the game more easily. I'll do the first two playthroughs with only Gen 6, and then most likely, do a Nuzlocke with all the Pokemon from every region.
Old January 10th, 2013, 09:44 PM
Taeshan
Unhatched Egg

Hope to god you can get a magikarp somewhere as Gyarados is one of my favs....Have one of the starters (whichever one i like the final morph of the best) a Gyarados, and the new Dragon type. Plus a bird of some sort, and two others i pic eventually.
Old January 11th, 2013, 03:55 AM
Forever
let it go

I'll probably have just generation 6 Pokemon plus some Unova ones if they're included because I love Unova mons and I'd hate to live without them. If there's anything else available, I'll just stick to Generation 6 ones if I can't get Unova ones.
Old January 11th, 2013, 04:44 AM
Kouzan
It's another wolf bite.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Kouzan
I'm gonna use mostly Gen VI Pokemon so I can get use to them. I know for a fact that when I was "forced "to use all Unova Pokemon in White until after beating the main story, I was pretty upset at first. But then once I started using more and discovering more of them I slowly gained alot of favorites. Such as Scrafty, Krookodile, Hydreigon, Joltik, Chandelure, Volcarona, Carracosta , Braviary (though I already planned on using him even before getting the game. ), Pawniard, Bisharp , Reuniclus etc. So I have a feeling if I use mostly gen 6 Pokemon, I'll end up with alot of favorites from that region too!

Mega Sceptile and Treecko for life yo.
DeviantArt |Tumblr | Art Gallery| Ask Me Stuff |Paired to | Avatar source:[x]
Old January 11th, 2013, 04:49 AM
Rivvon
Unburden Belly Drum
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
I'll be using my favorites from gen 6! If any can be replaced by a more battle-useful Pokemon, I will probably do that as my game progresses--but if I love the Pokemon enough it will stay on my team!
Old January 11th, 2013, 06:11 AM
BLOOOD-La-ti-
This is the place to try!

I'll be using anyone in gen 6 that suits me well,
but ofc I'll also be using pokemon from Prev. gens especially gen 3

oh check this out:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/member.php?u=373174
My new account. :3
Old January 11th, 2013, 06:26 AM
Correspondence

I'll try to use all new pokemon but it i guess depends on which ones can be found where.
Old January 11th, 2013, 06:30 AM
enigmα.
Community Supporter

I'd have to use most of the new Pokemon introduced to get used to them, I'll probably use those cool-looking or tough-looking ones. My plan is usually to use types that can counter the Elite 4 via type weaknesses before the game ends. I'll go through some info site & jot down some notes.

Along the way, I'll collect some older Gen 'Mon that fancies me tho, maybe I'll use them once in a while
Old January 11th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Minnew
Lurker

Nature: Quirky
I like to use the new region's pokemon exclusively.
On my team I always like to have Grass, Water, Fire, and Psychic. (My fire will be Fennekin, and if the speculation is correct then she'll also be my psychic.)

Of course, I also use a Pokemon that can learn fly. Whether or not they are actually a flying type depends on what Pokemon the Elite 4 have. I like to research beforehand and build a team that has an advantage over the Elite 4. I usually have my team and moves picked out before the game's even released! Haha

So my team in X will most likely look something like this: (Assuming that Fennekin will double as my psychic type.)

1: Fire-Psychic
2: Water
3: Grass
4: "Flying" (It will probably be Dragon, unless a flying type is better against E4)
5: Ice/Dark/Normal/Ground/Electric
6: Ice/Dark/Normal/Ground/Electric

I occasionally use Ghost, Rock, and Fighting.
I rarely use Bug, Poison, and Steel.

Typically I'll give other-type Pokemon those moves. Ex. I'll get a normal to learn fighting moves, ground to learn rock, and grass will always have one poison move.

What the Pokemon look like and effectiveness over the E4 are the ultimate deciding factors.

I'm going to make my entire team female, and name them after Studio Ghibli characters. This idea is new for me because I usually do 3 female and 3 male, and I don't always nickname them.

This also may be the first time I ever use a legendary in my main team. I absolutely love X. It reminds me of the Deer God in Princess Mononoke.
Old January 17th, 2013, 12:30 AM
alecr9
Unhatched Egg

My first playthrough is always with new pokemon, and I always pick the ones i find most appealing, be it aesthetically or type wise. All I know is that I always aim for a balanced team with various types. My mainstays are usually Fire, Water, Dragon, Electric, and Psychic, with maybe a Ground or Grass type thrown in, depending on what moves the others can use.
Old January 17th, 2013, 01:20 AM
ZetaZaku
AEUG Pilot

First play-through will definitely be with only Gen VI Pokemon, unless they add my favorite old ones early in the game. But I'll try to keep it Gen VI in the first play-through. Who knows what it will be like. Johto games for example have new Pokemon, but they are still few, unlike Hoenn games which had new Pokemon, but there were mostly Hoenn Pokemon in the beginning.

PM for Happy Hour Smeagles
Old January 17th, 2013, 01:28 AM
Sirius
Wrong Thread.

Nature: Hardy
It all depends on what's available for me. If there are a bunch of Gen 6 pokemon but then a few previous gen pokemon, it'll depend on which those are. If it's something like Gen 6's Patrat that's just an annoyance versus say a Pinsir, you can bet I'm going with the Pinsir. Variety is nice, but I can say I'll only use the pokemon if it's got a better design over other stuff around.

Old January 17th, 2013, 01:49 AM
GreatTornado
other in a month When you,

On my first playthrough I am planning to use Gen VI pokemon only with Fennekin. I have already planned for my team for the second playthrough though, assuming transfering pokemon to X & Y is possible.

Charizard
Meganium
Blaziken
Empoleon
Samurott
Chespin's final evolution.

Challenges Completed:
The Favourites Challenge - Black 2 - 28/01/13

Challenges In Progress:
The Location Challenge - Black 2
The Random Pokemon Challenge - Black 2
Old January 17th, 2013, 05:30 AM
Hiroshi Sotomura

Nature: Lax
In Black, I found I was very interested in the new generation of Pokémon and ended up constructing my entire team of native Pokémon in the region.

Since I stayed out of doing anything like second play throughs, I never actually felt compelled to actively train Pokémon from previous generations. So when Black 2 came out, that changed - I used Black to migrate Pokémon from my 3rd and 4th generation games, bred them, skidded around Skyarrow Bridge until the eggs were close to hatching, and sent the eggs to Black 2 so I knew what kind of Pokémon I'd be training in my playthrough. It made the experience predictable but different.

Whatever the case, even if I have the opportunity I'm probably not going to send anything over until I've finished the game, bought another game, or some enhanced cut or sequels come out within the same generation. (Whereas if it were a remake, I'd probably use the native Pokémon again.)

tl;dr: new adventure? Start fresh. Going again? Don't start fresh.

That's Our Switch.
Pre-Service Teacher. Tech Guy. Web Designer. PokéCommunity Administrator. Wanderer. Novice Hockey Player. rijonAdventures Developer. #westjournal. Views are my own.
Old January 17th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Superfox

Well, for me, what usually happens is that in the first set of games for a new generation, I have only pokémon of the new generation. However, when the sequels to those games come out, I dip into other generation for my team. For example, in both my Diamond and Black games, I have strictly Generation IV and Generation V pokémon on my teams, respectively. But in my Platinum and Black 2 games, I have pokémon from other generations as well on my teams, like I have a Houndoom and Poliwrath on my Platinum team and a Claydol, Magneton, and Growlithe on my Black 2 team. I think its because, by the sequels, the shine has come off the pokémon of the new generation.

Anyway, I'll have to actually see the pokémon of the new generation before I make any decisions about it. I do have an idea of the types I want, though. I'm listing more than six because I'm assuming that I'll be having mostly double-types on my team. This is also assuming that I like Fennekin's evolutions (and that they are neither Fire/Fighting or Fire/Psychic):

-Fennekin (Fire/???)
-Grass
-Water
-Dragon
-Flying (unless I find a non-flying type that can learn Fly. Perhaps the Dragon type I plan on picking up?)
-Fighting
-Ghost
-Ice or Electric
-Dark
-Supposed new type that's being introduced this generation (just a rumor that I heard, btw)
-Maybe one the new Eeveelutions if I like them or their typing (it'd be the first time I had an Eeveelution on my team)

Last edited by Superfox; January 17th, 2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old January 17th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Sabrewulf238

Well thinking about it some more, in the last gen (Pokemon White & White 2) I used:

White: Samurott (Water), Darmanitan (Fire), Cofagrigus (Ghost), Scolipede (Bug/Poison), Reuniclus (Psychic), Conkeldurr (Fighting)

White 2: Emboar (Fire/Fighting), Weezing (Poison), Flygon (Ground/Dragon), Sigilyph (Psychic/Flying), Magnezone (Electric/Steel), Octillery (Water)

So for the 6th gen if possible I'll use some types I haven't used in my main teams recently. (So that's Ice, Grass, Normal, Rock and Dark) I like keeping things varied rather than relying on the same pokemon over and over.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links