The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Old January 11th, 2013, 12:46 AM
Ω Ruby and α Sapphire
Ω & α... Join the Bandwagon!

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Ω Ruby and α Sapphire
Now with not much being know about Pokemon X and Y, we can discuss this due to not knowing the about the region. If and will Gamefreak be able to develop a decent looking surfing animation, and would you be okay having a region like Hoenn where lots of surfing is involved? Would you like the encounter rate to be lowered or made higher? Will their be diving and whirlpools? Do you think the player will be able to swim themselves or need a Pokemon to ride on and do you think that's likely/viable, and if so how would they do it? Do you think it would actually be possible to fish on a Pokemon? Discuss!
Old January 11th, 2013, 12:52 AM
skyluigi2
L-let's-a go...!

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to skyluigi2
I know I'm probably the only one, but I loved Hoenn's waterways; the huge ocean and all the spots where you could dive underwater.
I'd love to see something similar (maybe slightly less water) and I'd like to see dive make a return (and not just for one underwater ruin like in B/W either)!

☆ 3DS FC: 5069-3912-3062
☆ Let me know if you've added me!

☆ Next most anticipated game(s): Super Smash Bros. for 3DS, Bayonetta 2, Fantasy Life, Hyrule Warriors and Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

☆ Currently playing: Pokémon Platinum and Animal Crossing: New Leaf

☆ I'm known on Twitter as skyluigi2 as well

skyluigi2
Old January 11th, 2013, 01:14 AM
Platinum Lucario
The Legendary Master of Light!
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
First of all, I would absolutely love it if the region had alot of ocean, like the days of Ruby and Sapphire.

And as for the encounter rate should be at the same level as in previous games, which makes it alot more easier to navigate along the water for a while before running into a wild Pokémon.

I'd also like to see Diving and Whirlpool involved as well, but perhaps either Dive or Whirlpool could just be a TM that could use for unlocking secret areas in the game.

I think the player should still require a Pokémon to Surf, 'cause this makes progressing through the game just as it normally should, otherwise you'd be bound to access areas too early in the game. xD

As for how the player gets on the Pokémon... instead of having some sort of dark blue shaped thing which the player rides on, the game should use the Pokémon that you chose to surf on and would perform their animation for allowing the player to get on their back and start moving along the waters.

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm really looking forward to learning how to understand what the hex values mean and how to create programs using Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old January 11th, 2013, 01:18 AM
BLOOOD-La-ti-
This is the place to try!

THE RETURN OF DIVE!!!LOL
What if the player would drown while swimming?

oh check this out:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/member.php?u=373174
My new account. :3
Old January 11th, 2013, 01:19 AM
Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokémonShinySilver View Post
ill require a Pokémon to Surf, 'cause this makes progressing through the game just as it normally should, otherwise you'd be bound to access areas too early in the game. xD
Hmmm, maybe we could get a new item, the swimsuit?
Old January 11th, 2013, 01:26 AM
C Payne
Hoenn in 3D!
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Calm
I'm glad I am not the only one who loved Hoenn's vast ocean routes. We have always gotten cave/land systems that offered a bit of exploration but, aside from the little exploration the Whirl Islands in Gen II gave us, Hoenn was the first time we were able to get the much needed exploration for water-based routes.

As someone who loves exploring, I'm glad to say a lot of my pre-E4 gametime was spent checking out every last corner of the ocean routes and even occasionally getting lost back then(which was part of the enjoyment really). I just hope they throw in more variety of water-types.

Back on topic a bit more, ha, I'd have to say I'd welcome more water routes again in this region, especially if they can actually show us which pokemon we're riding instead of a generic blue lump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokémonShinySilver View Post
I think the player should still require a Pokémon to Surf, 'cause this makes progressing through the game just as it normally should, otherwise you'd be bound to access areas too early in the game. xD
Exactly, lmao.

Source: http://pokemon-diamond.deviantart.co...-map-251951922
Old January 11th, 2013, 03:24 AM
Azure
» Flame!
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Azure
I think they could utilize surfing very well in 3D, especially with the likes of Dive and Waterfall.

Old January 11th, 2013, 03:30 AM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
Dear God, no. I hate surfing. Hoenn had everything I absolutely dread about surfing: never-ending water routes in the middle of nowhere, annoying labyrinths of fast currents... It's not a thing I remember fondly, definitely not.

Never understood the point of diving, too. None of the Pokémon you could get with Dive were worth it (Clamperl, Relicanth). Relicanth's only ever use was to unlock the Regis.

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

I like Lyra so take my opinions with a grain of salt.
Old January 11th, 2013, 03:49 AM
SolarAbusoru
Go Go PokéRangers

Nature: Adamant
I personally wanna see more water routes, Surf was a bit heavily underused in Unova and so I'd wanna see more of it.

Lover of all things Pokémon and Nintendo, and Atlus
Signature Pokémon: Luxray
Old January 11th, 2013, 04:32 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zupplu View Post
Do you think it would actually be possible to fish on a Pokemon? Discuss!
Fishing while surfing wouldn't be something new. If I remember correctly, neither Black and White or B2/W2 took this option away. Unless it did, and I can't remember. Unova's surfing was very limited to begin with, so...

I'd definitely like more surf / dive areas than what was made available in Unova but probably not as much as what was in Hoenn. Don't get me wrong, I love the Hoenn region, but too much surfing can be a bit tedious. Being on the 3DS and a change of the overworld, I sincerely hope we can move past the surfing on a blue whale and actually see the Pokémon we're swimming on, and if it's a small Pokémon, then have us swimming next to it instead.
Old January 11th, 2013, 05:52 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
For some reason, I think they're going to keep the blue whale animation that they've had for a while, but that's just me. .-.

Either way, I'd love it if there were more surfing areas! What made me happy in the days of R/S/E was the fact that there was a flipping underwater city(sootopolis), and I'd like to see something like that appear in these games~! n_n
Old January 11th, 2013, 06:18 AM
enigmα.
Community Supporter

I think they need to fix levels like encounters in tall grass, I don't want to run up into Lv.7 Magikarps all the time, ugh.

But the idea of bringing Dive back is totally rad, I know it was there in BW/B2W2, but I didn't like the time limit. Bring it back like in RSE.

Anyways, more surf would be a nice thing, if like I said, they set a level erm... you know, the final route full of strong Pokemon when a Lv.12 Tentecool pops up :c
Old January 11th, 2013, 06:24 AM
Correspondence

Well maybe not as much as Hoenn but more than the last two versions.I mean Sinnoh and Unova barely had a surfing spot.And hopefully they'll implement Dive as well.
Old January 11th, 2013, 06:35 AM
Raichupacabra
Villain

Nature: Hasty
I loved the ocean in RSE, but since I'm a perfectionist, I like to battle every single trainer and grab every single item. So it became tedious trying to go through the ocean and do everything. Other than that, I don't mind what the size of the ocean is.

Currently Playing: Pokemon X | 3DS Friend Code: 4313-1107-3365
(PM me with your Friend Code and tell me if you have added me)
Old January 11th, 2013, 06:40 AM
Autumn Reverie
The world bores you when you're cool.

Nature: Modest
I like surfing, but too long a distance of water routes aren't really my thing; I like to see ground every once in a while. About the rate of Pokemon encounters, I would like it to be moderate - not too little, not too much, just nice (of course).

Diving and crossing whirlpools would be a fine addition, but the moves should be TMs that can be used outside of battle such as Headbutt, Sweet Scent etc, allowing them to be easily removed if needed while replacing the HM spaces for other more powerful and reliable HMs.

As for the action of surfing, I would really like for the actual surfer instead of a blue unchanging shape to actually come out of their Pokeball and hop onto the water along with the player as initially stated by PokemonShinySilver, given the better animation that comes with 3D.

Or perhaps the player him/herself should have his/her very first swimsuit and join the other swimmers in the water? The player could have the option to either swim or surf! xD Perhaps swimming would slightly increase the rate of Pokemon encounters, as opposed to surfing, to give a difference.
Old January 11th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Esper

I've never really minded surfing as much as other HM moves like Cut or Strength so I wouldn't mind having it again. I'm sure the animation will look as good as the rest of the game and even if it's just the blue shadow I'd be okay with that.

What I would like to see is different types of water: ones you can surf on safely without fear or encounters and one like the surfing we've always had. Make it like it is on land where you can sometimes avoid some/all of the grass if you're just going through to another area.

deviantart blog pair
Old January 11th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
I was kind of in favor of the surfing in Hoenn, I would.. probably like surfing and diving to have more treasure finding purposes, well, rather than just ruins, because while I liked ruins, I wish there was something more, y'know? I'd like to have dive to find different treasure chests of some kind, or have some sort of function where you can only dive to find secret towns or cities where legendary pokemon might be, sort of like in the Hoenn region too.

But, well, Hoenn was more of a tropical region, so I'm not exactly sure if that much surfing will be incorporated in these games. D=

I think the encounter rates should be moderate instead of higher though; in fear of wild pokemon encounters perhaps being more cinematic this time?

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old January 11th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Arlo

I have no problem with surfing and don't even begin to understand the rage over the amount of water in Hoenn. If it's a problem - that's exactly what Repels are in the game for.

I expect the next games will have surfing, and if nothing else, the animation will have to be different just because it'll be rendered in 3D meshes instead of 2D sprites. I hope they have some fairly extensive water routes - Unova and Sinnoh were both a bit short in that regard IMO. And I'd love to see more diving, though I'm not sure if it'll be a part of X and Y or if they'll save it for the inevitable Hoenn remakes.
Old January 11th, 2013, 12:19 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
I think they'll keep Surf in Gen VI. The Surf move is useful in both the field and in battle.

Old January 11th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Sabrewulf238

I would like to see a few more chances to surf in this game. The 5th gen was lacking in that area.

I would love to see diving make a return too.
Old January 11th, 2013, 12:43 PM
JayTheKing
~~King Of Plegia~~

Yup i want a big ocean.After all i love sea especially if it is raining.AND of course an underwater legendary pokemon and of course an event like when you had to fight team aqua in the underwater cavern.

White 2:4814-8483-7594

3DS:4871 4138 8216
Old January 11th, 2013, 02:27 PM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
I liked how much Surf was used in Hoenn. It was another environment to explore and I also love water type Pokémon. I think surf outside of battle will happen on the dark blue mystery Pokémon again. Making separate animations for every Pokémon seems too much.
Old January 11th, 2013, 02:30 PM
Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTheKing View Post
Yup i want a big ocean.After all i love sea especially if it is raining.AND of course an underwater legendary pokemon and of course an event like when you had to fight team aqua in the underwater cavern.
I think that would be really cool, it would be a good place to find Lugia post game or maybe even anew legendary!
Old January 11th, 2013, 02:55 PM
pikakitten
You met with a terrible fate

Nature: Naughty
Yeah like what everyone else said about an underwater legendary, that would be fun. If they do reintroduce diving, I hope it has some destinations rather than just random items like in R/S/E but can dive in a lot of places unlike B/W.
Old January 11th, 2013, 03:00 PM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
What is this about Reintroducing Dive? Dive is still an active HM in Generation 5. It would either carry over to Gen 6 like HMs usually do or get cycled out for the generation. But Dive is already an active HM and so is its full function. You can Dive underwater in B/W/B2/W2.

As for carrying over, I don't see any use for it yet. Maybe once they have shown us move, but its not yet needed and has always been one of the lesser used HMs since its not used a lot.

Surf is a staple HM from Gen 1 along with Fly, Cut, and Strength. I don't see those getting removed in Gen 6.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links