Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y
Reload this Page CoroCoro Discussion Thread

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in one of the newer installments of the core Pokémon series.

Closed Thread

Old February 15th, 2013 (01:07 AM).
let it go
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Sabrewulf238:
In terms of types....is it possible that they might split Flying into:

Flying and Wind types? I think there's a fakemon website where some of the fakemon they create have the wind type. (Pokefactory) The Wind type fakemon are able to manipulate wind but they can't fly (at least not traditionally with wings) or use bird-like moves.
I don't see them doing this just for Sylveon. :( It's an interesting idea but they've had Flying for so long, changing it up would be quite strange/hard to get used to, as opposed to Light type imo.

Also guys I was just thinking, Cinccino has a scarf attached to itself p much! So Sylveon's ribbons aren't as weird :3
Old February 15th, 2013 (01:07 AM).
Master of Ice

Nature: Lax
So it's not Ninfeon anymore but it's Sylveon? What does the prefix "Sylv" derive from? I still think Sylveon's a Normal-type, it has alot of Normal-type characteristics, although in some art it shows it flying using its ribbons, so it could also be a Flying-type. That would make it only the second Pokémon to be a pure Flying-type, next to Tornadus. Some thing it's ridiculous for it to be a Normal-type since Eevee is already Normal, but Eevee could still evolve into a Normal-type, thus covering 8 of the 17 types. I don't see any Bug, Fighting or Dragon characteristics, so that's out of the picture for me (although Altaria, a bird, is a Dragon/Flying type, so looks can be deceiving). Eevee has not evolved into a dual type yet, so maybe Sylveon is but we'll have to wait and see.

Not sure about this "Love" type, but the speculated Light type sounds good to me. Probably would see alot of the older Pokémon gain a secondary type with it, like Cleffa's evolutionary line and other fairy-looking Pokémon.
I have made Facebook pages of all 721 existing Pokémon plus Mega evolutions. If you want to join them, search for them in this format: [Pokémon's name], Pokémon # [Pokédex number], or for Mega evolutions, just type in Mega [Pokémon's name]
Old February 15th, 2013 (01:16 AM).
let it go
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by CloysterOyster:
So it's not Ninfeon anymore but it's Sylveon? What does the prefix "Sylv" derive from? I still think Sylveon's a Normal-type, it has alot of Normal-type characteristics, although in some art it shows it flying using its ribbons, so it could also be a Flying-type. That would make it only the second Pokémon to be a pure Flying-type, next to Tornadus. Some thing it's ridiculous for it to be a Normal-type since Eevee is already Normal, but Eevee could still evolve into a Normal-type, thus covering 8 of the 17 types.
Well y'know, what if Sylveon actually ISN'T just Flying, and is instead Flying/Normal? It would make sense for those who think normal, and those who think flying too, which will keep Tornadus unique, and cover two typings. It's not really dual typing imo because it's happened for so many flying types before, so...
Old February 15th, 2013 (01:32 AM).
Platinum Tier

Nature: Relaxed
Well, the majority of flying types have a dual Normal typing anyway, so to give Sylveon only one type being Flying would make it the only non-legendary Pokemon to be pure Flying which would be pretty neat IMO, they're long overdue IMo.
Old February 15th, 2013 (01:44 AM).
let it go
Crystal Tier

But it looks like it could easily be Flying or Normal, and because of that it could just follow the old pattern. The only way to break said pattern is if it's a new type or a dual type of anything else. ;( Normal/Flying wouldn't really imo.
Old February 15th, 2013 (02:10 AM).
Platinum Tier

I think a dual type of any kind would break the chain, each eeveelution has a specific stand alone type so to give Sylveon any combination would be a change regardless. I also don't see any benefits from slapping on an extra Normal type assuming its primary typing is Flying.
Old February 15th, 2013 (02:55 AM).
Master of Ice

Nature: Lax
Quote originally posted by Forever:
Well y'know, what if Sylveon actually ISN'T just Flying, and is instead Flying/Normal? It would make sense for those who think normal, and those who think flying too, which will keep Tornadus unique, and cover two typings. It's not really dual typing imo because it's happened for so many flying types before, so...
I was thinking Flying/Normal too. That has never been done in that order. That would certainly break the chain.
I have made Facebook pages of all 721 existing Pokémon plus Mega evolutions. If you want to join them, search for them in this format: [Pokémon's name], Pokémon # [Pokédex number], or for Mega evolutions, just type in Mega [Pokémon's name]
Old February 15th, 2013 (03:01 AM).
My life would suck without you
Crystal Tier

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
It could always be a fighting type and whip people like Meinshao does.
Old February 15th, 2013 (04:04 AM).
Riddled with pokerus

Nature: Naughty
What does the prefix "Sylv" derive from? I still think Sylveon's a Normal-type, it has alot of Normal-type characteristics, although in some art it shows it flying using its ribbons, so it could also be a Flying-type.
The closest I can think of is the word "sylvania" which refers to forests and trees. It does kinda look like Deerling's spring form, but I can't imagine they'd do another grass type.

I have a nice video of Sylveon in battle from X & Y - It uses Trump Card, Focus Blast (I think) and Swift and some sort of dark-coloured stat affecting move I can't identify.

What if Sylveon is a powered-up Normal type evolution for Eevee? It would be nice for that Adaptability attribute which Eevee has to be passed onto something with a bit of kick.
Old February 15th, 2013 (07:24 AM). Edited February 15th, 2013 by Miss Doronjo.
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
Maybe the love theme is pretty strong in Sylveon, as posted above. It might be a new type, or it might be an old, but either way, maybe it will be a running theme. It can be pretty love-themed without being of the "love/emotion" type (emotion for more applicability), seeing as its ability can reflect most traits GameFreak care to give it. We all know Primeape is notoriously angry, and thus it has Anger Point and Vital Spirit as its abilities. Slaking is lazy, with Truant (and moves like Slack off and Yawn). Dragonite is said to be able to control the weather, and thus gets almost all the weather moves in the game, and so on. Even without restorting to a new type, GameFreak can make Sylveon pretty love-ey.

A Love-type seems like an interesting idea, but it would be very hard to make type matchups that would make sense with it, bar against Dark-type (and maybe Steel-type - as machines don't feel emotions, but this is very debatable as Magnezone FEELS emotions according to its PokéDex entry). Then again, A Love type would be a good replacement for a Light type, though I can't imagine what types it could hit super-effectively, or not very effectively, or what it would resist or be weak to. Speaking of which, imagine if they changed the Attract mechanics so that it could affect same-sex Pokémon. It would be an act of respect from Game Freak to recognize that homosexuality is natural and that gay couples should have their rights recognized, Although Game Freak would possibly have problems with the Church.

What does the prefix "Sylv" derive from?
Right now, I'm thinking the Slyph theory may be the most likely. According to what I've read about Sylphs:

Quote:
Sylphs are winged air elements or fairies. They ride the wind, flying high with eagles, Sylphs are almost transparent. They're slender and graceful, with large glistening eyes and huge wings. Sylphs befriend and protect other flying creatures, such as birds, moths and butterflies. Sylphs can move as fast as lightning, but they may also drift along on draughts or puffs of wind.
Almost transparent - Slight stretch, but Sylveon is predominately white-coloured.
They ride the wind - I believe some made the connection between the bows and scarfs with kites, which would make sense as kites can "ride the wind".
They're slender and graceful - The lightest Eeveelution.
Large glistening eyes - Sylveon has massive blue eyes.
Butterflies - Some people thought the bows looked like butterflies, and this is where they could come in.

I think there are more definitions of Sylphs which... I'll check out. Again, maybe knowing the origin of this mon can give us a hint towards its stat spread? Sylphs are described as moving as fast as lightning, and they befriend and protect other flying creatures. Perhaps a fast, defensive Flying type? Something along the lines of 65/60/110/65/95/130, though more HP would be nice. And just an extra: if Sylphs move as fast as lightning, and Jolteon is an Electric type, it's possible that Sylveon will have the same speed as Jolteon.

I'm actually more interested on how it evolves. Maybe this is a stretch but:

Spoiler:
+

Maybe? Although, we can already technically trade Eevee holding a Prism Scale in Gen V. Another thing I'm wondering about is it's ability. What's it's ability going to be? Something new, or related to Flying/Wind in general? Or something basic like Adaptability?

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old February 15th, 2013 (07:39 AM).
fighter WINNER »
Platinum Tier

Nature: Quiet
I actually have a pretty interesting theory that a good friend of mine told me, and I've really no reason to doubt it, especially if GF is really bent on utilizing the 3DS features.

I'm sure you all know Streetpass, right? The one thing that Nintendo is pretty much more or less obsessed with glorifying, if anything. I feel that, especially given that X/Y is a 3DS game, that Streetpass would make more or less an immediate presence in the game. What I want to know is whether or not it'll play a role in evolving Pokemon, in which there's a pretty good chance that it would, at least imo.

Today, we fight our way to victory
VMPMAMA
And to fight to create our legacy.
Old February 15th, 2013 (10:12 AM).

Nature: Jolly
Quote originally posted by Forever:
I don't see them doing this just for Sylveon. It's an interesting idea but they've had Flying for so long, changing it up would be quite strange/hard to get used to, as opposed to Light type imo.

Also guys I was just thinking, Cinccino has a scarf attached to itself p much! So Sylveon's ribbons aren't as weird :3
Well I never said it would be just for Sylveon. Of course it would be used for new pokemon too.

Maybe Normal/Flying types would become Wind/Flying?
Old February 15th, 2013 (10:33 AM).
let it go
Crystal Tier

Well I never said it would be just for Sylveon. Of course it would be used for new pokemon too.

Maybe Normal/Flying types would become Wind/Flying?
I guess although I'd rather just keep them flying/normal as it makes it a little easier for fighting types :( but ya maybe if Sylveon launches it but I kinda doubt it that's all. But by doing it for Sylveon I meant that being the original reason then spreading to everything else lmao.
Old February 15th, 2013 (10:46 AM).
Freaking annoying!

Nature: Brave
Quote originally posted by XanderO:
What show? We only get News two major ways in Japan, during the Sunday Episodes of Pokemon Smash (Saturday afternoons for Americans) and on or around the 15th of every month when the Coro Coro Scans are released.

There aren't any other schedueled news releases other than this. Internationally we have to wait for one of these to align and watch Pokemon's Twitter/Pokemon.com to see if we get the international version of it. We still have 2 days to see if the Coro Coro leak is japanese exclusive (which is possible seeing as its more Movie related than game related with Ninfia headlining the Pikachu Short with Eevee.) If we don't get any info on Ninfia for English viewers by the 15th than its Japanese exclusive release.
thats it, pokemon smash. whatever site it was i was reading about ninfea on said that smash said to expect news on Wednesday, guess not. its the 15th now so maybe we get typing? the pokemon website is dropping some really heavy hints that its gonna be a new type, almost like, a never used before on anything type. darn, i wanted a dragon.

pokemon black 2 friend code: 1979 8164 1100
my best battle video: 72-38989-76548. tell me your thoughts!
"Believe it or not, angels crap much more than other beings. Ever wonder why the phrase "holy crap" is so popular?" -macomuu
Old February 15th, 2013 (11:17 AM).
Platinum Tier

I wonder if Smash will reveal the typing tomorrow? They heavily hinted at the Eeveelutuons for next weeks preview (last week) and with CoroCoro being the first to reveal Sylveon, they could just give us a little more infomation..
Old February 15th, 2013 (01:16 PM).

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Skype™ to Xander Olivieri
Quote originally posted by Suicune™:
I wonder if Smash will reveal the typing tomorrow? They heavily hinted at the Eeveelutuons for next weeks preview (last week) and with CoroCoro being the first to reveal Sylveon, they could just give us a little more infomation..
Its a large shot in the dark for that. Doesn't really seem to make sense that they reveal it on the 15th and build up the Secret Hype only to reveal it two days later like that. They may keep it a Secret until June/July when the movie airs to keep from possibly spoiling a small part of the movie.
Old February 15th, 2013 (02:35 PM).
just a guy
CS

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote originally posted by XanderO:
Its a large shot in the dark for that. Doesn't really seem to make sense that they reveal it on the 15th and build up the Secret Hype only to reveal it two days later like that. They may keep it a Secret until June/July when the movie airs to keep from possibly spoiling a small part of the movie.
Waiting till June or July to reveal Sylveon's type is far too long in my opinion. It's just too much hype over one new Pokémon's type, and at that point I don't think many people will even care as much. Plus, it'll only lead to disappointment if it's anything but a new type altogether. It would be like someone saying, "I waited that long for something I pretty much already guessed was going to happen?"

Next month's issue of CoroCoro is said to have more details on Sylveon, I believe that's when they might reveal what type it will be. Revealing it by the time of the new movie's release just seems too long of a stretch to me, but we'll see...
Old February 15th, 2013 (03:27 PM).
Gaiden

Well, yeah, there had to be a reason why Sylveon's type was kept secret; it can possibly be a new type. Thennnn again this IS gamefreak, and they can find this imaginative speculations enjoyable, and *poof* Sylveon becomes a Normal type. The ultimate troll move. Not that I wouldn't mind, but who knows what they have up their sleeves.

So yeah, I guess our answers will be answered at the next edition of Corocoro. If the next Corocoro doesn't tell how Eevee evolves, then there's always the short that can tell us.

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games

Sylvie
Old February 15th, 2013 (03:58 PM).
Platinum Tier

The latest they'll leave it is next month, it's something that can be easily forgotten within two months. If not this month then I'd say the next Issue of CoroCoro will have further details including Sylveon's typing.
Old February 15th, 2013 (05:38 PM). Edited February 15th, 2013 by Platinum Lucario.
The Legendary Master of Light!
Crystal Tier

Nature: Calm
After the name "Sylveon" was announced, it made me want to search which word begins with "sylv". Then I saw this post, and it matched it perfectly!

You know what? I was thinking Light-type was going to become it's type, but then I realized that since it's name is based off the word "sylvania" which mean the trees and forests... it could still get a new type that relates to it's name. How about Natural-type? Not to be confused with "Grass-type" which does actually refer to nature, but there's more to nature than just plants. Nature consists of lighting, animals, plants, water, wind and pretty much anything that isn't man-made.

But even so, I could still be sticking to Light-type, but there's definitely a chance it could be Natural-type. So either one or the other. Also, on the Japanese Pokémon website, did anyone notice the typing below Sylveon saying "??? type" with the box as a bright pink colour? I know there's another type that has the colour pink... which is Psychic-type but Psychic-type has a darker pink to this one. And also... in nature, some flowers can be bright pink which could also mean it could be Natural-type.

But also, light is also natural and could also fit into the "Forests and trees" meaning, since light fills the forest during the day and the plants photosynthesize. So there's still a chance it could be a Light-type. ;)

But we'll see what the new type will be in the next CoroCoro.

sure does feel like a brand new adventure!

I'm gradually learning to use Microsoft Visual Studio!

Always focus on the present, best thing to do! Never look back into the past and never worry about anything bad of the future!
Old February 15th, 2013 (07:44 PM).
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Silver Tier

Nature: Careful
Perhaps the Light type will be called Natural type in Japanese and Light in the english speaking nations much like how Dark is called Evil type in Japanese, however it's more like trickery than real evil.
Old February 16th, 2013 (03:30 AM).

Nature: Jolly
Quote originally posted by Miss Doronjo:
Well, yeah, there had to be a reason why Sylveon's type was kept secret; it can possibly be a new type.
The legendary pokemon haven't had their types revealed either. Sylveon isn't alone.

So if you're using this logic than the two legendary pokemon must be new types too.
Old February 16th, 2013 (04:03 AM).
Reality Sculptor

I remember this same debate raging when Rerisham and Zekrom were revealed. their types were ??? as well, for months, until they were revealed. people thought they were gonna be new types, but nope, electric dragon and fire dragon. the same will happen here. not being told yet means nothing.

I highly HIGHLY doubt there will be a new type added. i will eat my hat if there is. For me, the Sylveon name comes from Sylph, which is a spirit of the air depicted in the mythology of europe (where this new land is supposedly based). They are usually seen as elegant and feminine, and linked to fairies. Sylveon is gonna be flying type, i tell you now!
Old February 16th, 2013 (06:11 AM).
Gaiden

The legendary pokemon haven't had their types revealed either. Sylveon isn't alone.

So if you're using this logic than the two legendary pokemon must be new types too.
Why not? That can also be a possibility. We won't know for sure until they're actually revealed.

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games

Sylvie
Old February 16th, 2013 (06:22 AM).
Pokemon Capture Specialist

Nature: Bold
If we just let things be, then maybe we can be genuinely excited over whatever we get C_c

With that being said, I've come to a solemn conclusion that Yvetal's typing will be Dark/Flying and Xermnas is still a mystery. If I'm wrong, oh well.

As for Sylveon, well, if it's Flying/Bug/Dragon/Love/Light/Aether, I'll still love it.

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links