The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon Clubs

Notices

Pokémon Clubs This forum is for those who wish to start a club within the community. This forum is for Pokémon clubs; Fan Clubs & Groups is for everything else.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 7th, 2013, 08:59 AM
Major Ziggs
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Strongest Normal type eh? Hmm... I think in terms of strength alone it has either be Slaking or Regigas (choosing not to count Arceus 'cos he's a spoil sport!), but obviously they both have drawbacks from their abilities. Then there's Blissey who's probably the most used Normal type, but I wouldn't call what she has strength so much as vitality, so she's out of the question... I think I'll go for Porygon 2, he's an utter beast when it comes to dealing strong attacks and when he's got a boost or two behind him he becomes pretty much unstoppable in no time. Obviously there are areas that let him down, but strength-wise and moves-wise I think Porygon 2 easily outshines a lot of the other Normal types.

(It's strange but whilst making this post I've realised how few Normal types there are in OU! Maybe they aren't as strong as I thought...)
Old February 7th, 2013, 10:15 AM
CourageHound
Trust & Courage. Nothing More

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexOzzyCake View Post
Strongest Normal type eh? Hmm... I think in terms of strength alone it has either be Slaking or Regigas (choosing not to count Arceus 'cos he's a spoil sport!), but obviously they both have drawbacks from their abilities. Then there's Blissey who's probably the most used Normal type, but I wouldn't call what she has strength so much as vitality, so she's out of the question... I think I'll go for Porygon 2, he's an utter beast when it comes to dealing strong attacks and when he's got a boost or two behind him he becomes pretty much unstoppable in no time. Obviously there are areas that let him down, but strength-wise and moves-wise I think Porygon 2 easily outshines a lot of the other Normal types.

(It's strange but whilst making this post I've realised how few Normal types there are in OU! Maybe they aren't as strong as I thought...)
Actually with eviolite chansey can take hits alot better than blissey. And also I think you mean porygon Z? Cuz in terms of sheer power porygon-z is by far mone of the most heavy hitting normal type with tri attack/hyper beam, a single nasty plot boost, along with its adaptability abillity. Ursaring being a physical yet slower equivilant.

A few of previous OU contending normal types moved down to UU on the generation shift. Such as Snorlax, and Togekiss. I also beleive stoutland was OU for a short time before he moved down.
Old February 7th, 2013, 10:25 AM
Major Ziggs
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

Oh duh of course, Porygon Z is the one I meant yes haha. Also holy poop I never noticed Usaring's base 130 Attack before, that's incredible o.o Why on earth is it only in the NU tier? It has pretty reasonable defences so I can't imagine it's terrible speed being that bad a problem? Or does it have something to do with having to rely on Toxic/Burn orbs...?
Old February 7th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Chaos Fork
So I heard you liek Mudkipz

Nature: Calm
Yeah, Smogon can put an epic pokemon into NU just for being weak to stealth rock

My NEW black 2 FC: 0347-8844-0065
Old February 7th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Hikamaru
out of this world
Community Supporter

Quote:
Oh duh of course, Porygon Z is the one I meant yes haha. Also holy poop I never noticed Usaring's base 130 Attack before, that's incredible o.o Why on earth is it only in the NU tier? It has pretty reasonable defences so I can't imagine it's terrible speed being that bad a problem? Or does it have something to do with having to rely on Toxic/Burn orbs...?
I tried out Porygon-Z once in-game and with the right moveset and a boost from Adaptability can make its Tri Attack hit pretty darn hard. I guess the reason Ursaring is NU is because it has to rely too much on Toxic/Burn Orbs with the Guts ability for that mighty Attack boost. And it also has Quick Feet to bypass its slow Speed.

When Ursaring's Guts gets activated, you better watch out.

Quote:

I have to say Slaking is one heck of a powerhouse, given how hard it was for me to defeat Norman in Ruby, but Truant is basically there to stop Slaking getting too overpowered. However, it's great for abusing Hyper Beam/Giga Impact, the latter of which helps Slaking's high Attack. And it's not as slow as you thought, and has solid defensive stats too.

Porygon2 is also pretty good when it has the Eviolite, making it outshine Porygon-Z in some fields. But yeah I do sorta feel about the lack of Normal-types in OU, maybe most have to rely on certain abilities/items.

Paired with AWsquared, Isaac and Starry Windy
Battle Server | Tumblr | TWL | Profile | Supporter

i'll be gone for a while, here's why

Old February 7th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Isaac
Ahola Bith

Nature: Careful
Answering the topic:

Wait wut???? I don't know, I love normal types...hmm...maybe because it can't hit ghost types...yeah that's it, I think.

Theme | Pairs | PC Battle Server
Old February 7th, 2013, 05:40 PM
Starry Windy
Osha, Oshawott!
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Starry Windy
I think Slaking is the strongest if it doesn't get hindered by its Truant ability.
Pairs | PC Family | My PC Blog | Twitter | Tumblr
Old February 7th, 2013, 07:42 PM
CourageHound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari10 View Post
I have to say Slaking is one heck of a powerhouse, given how hard it was for me to defeat Norman in Ruby, but Truant is basically there to stop Slaking getting too overpowered. However, it's great for abusing Hyper Beam/Giga Impact, the latter of which helps Slaking's high Attack. And it's not as slow as you thought, and has solid defensive stats too.
For slacking and its godly stats, I would abuse its massive powwer with a choice band. It suites it abillity in the way that Slacking performs a hit and run style of play. Switch in, launch an attack like a nuke, and switch out. Fits choice band nicely, and you wont realy be effected by traunt as long as you switch(albeit still loosing a turn while switching to an appropriate counter to your opponent's current pokemon)
Old February 7th, 2013, 11:53 PM
Chaos Fork
So I heard you liek Mudkipz

Nature: Calm
I think Togekiss is strongest. With serene grace, air slash and kings rock it's a hax master

My NEW black 2 FC: 0347-8844-0065
Old February 8th, 2013, 09:11 AM
CourageHound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Fork View Post
I think Togekiss is strongest. With serene grace, air slash and kings rock it's a hax master
Well yea the hax factor is pretty daunting but sometimes(alot of the time) its just not enough.
Old February 8th, 2013, 10:54 AM
ChocolateCrunch
Not an old man. x]

Strongest Normal Type Pokemon in my opinion is Lickilicky. It's such a good staller with a few curse's set up!
Old February 8th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Major Ziggs
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourageHound View Post
For slacking and its godly stats, I would abuse its massive powwer with a choice band. It suites it abillity in the way that Slacking performs a hit and run style of play. Switch in, launch an attack like a nuke, and switch out. Fits choice band nicely, and you wont realy be effected by traunt as long as you switch(albeit still loosing a turn while switching to an appropriate counter to your opponent's current pokemon)
If this worked it would be amazing, but I'm pretty sure Truant doesn't let you switch out on the turn after you attack, I think you have to wait 'till he's finished truanting. So you'd be using up 4 turns and an unclean switch in for the next Pokémon all to launch one nuke... Albeit an amazingly powerful nuke, but still haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Fork View Post
Oh god parahax Togekiss is the devil itself in Pokémon form. Facing those in battles is like ripping your teeth out :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateCrunch View Post
Strongest Normal Type Pokemon in my opinion is Lickilicky. It's such a good staller with a few curse's set up! ^_^
That's not one I ever expected to come up lmao. What can Lickilicky offer that other Normal types can't? Is it sturdy enough to survive using Curse? xD
Old February 8th, 2013, 11:39 AM
ChocolateCrunch
Not an old man. x]

Quote:
If this worked it would be amazing, but I'm pretty sure Truant doesn't let you switch out on the turn after you attack, I think you have to wait 'till he's finished truanting. So you'd be using up 4 turns and an unclean switch in for the next Pokémon all to launch one nuke... Albeit an amazingly powerful nuke, but still haha.

Oh god parahax Togekiss is the devil itself in Pokémon form. Facing those in battles is like ripping your teeth out

That's not one I ever expected to come up lmao. What can Lickilicky offer that other Normal types can't? Is it sturdy enough to survive using Curse? xD
Usually, yes! I use the moveset - Curse, Dragon Tail, Rest and Sleep Talk. For me, a nooby competitive battler it's a great Pokémon to use!
Old February 8th, 2013, 02:59 PM
Isaac
Ahola Bith

The strongest...I guess it has to be Snorlax for its strenght.?

Old February 8th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Sheep

Nature: Timid
Name: Cirno
Partner Pokemon: Skitty, Aipom, Cinccino
Reason for Joining: Normal types are adorable and have a whole slew of awesome moves they can learn, so I find them awesome!
What is the strongest normal type in your opinion? After being walled by Lickilicky to the point where the match was a draw twice... I'd say Licky. But if we're talking potential I think Snorlax has a lot of it! Bulky and pretty great movepool.
Favorite Normal Type Move: Metronome~

Old February 9th, 2013, 04:22 AM
ChocolateCrunch
Not an old man. x]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Heart View Post
I think Slaking is the strongest if it doesn't get hindered by its Truant ability.
Ermahgerd, I hate Slaking! v_v It's so annoying with Truant and the only good thing about it really for me is that it has pretty good stats, but that's it. c;
Old February 9th, 2013, 05:00 PM
Isaac
Ahola Bith

Oh yeah, and for the voting, I vote for Eevee. I don't know why, but...it fits...I think.

Old February 10th, 2013, 02:01 AM
ChocolateCrunch
Not an old man. x]

Why haven't I been added to the Member List?
Old February 10th, 2013, 12:11 PM
CourageHound

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateCrunch View Post
Why haven't I been added to the Member List?
T-T Sorry dude, I havnt been able to get to a solid cpu(on mobile), but I should be able to make all adjustments and updates when I do. That includes the featured pokemon will be displayed in the OP.
Old February 11th, 2013, 04:05 AM
Hikamaru
out of this world
Community Supporter

Welcome to the club Cirno! Always happy to have new members on board!

And I like your partner choices, Skitty is just super adorable, Cinccino is a beast with Technician and Aipom (along with its evo Ambipom) is among my fave Normal-types.

And as for the current topic of strong Normal-types, Togekiss is definitely one that has to be feared in competitive battling. With a combination of Air Slash, Serene Grace and a King's Rock this thing becomes a flinch hax spammer like no other. I totally agree with ya Alex on Togekiss, it's deadly with that flinch-crazy combo.

Paired with AWsquared, Isaac and Starry Windy
Battle Server | Tumblr | TWL | Profile | Supporter

i'll be gone for a while, here's why

Old February 11th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Seki
You idiot!

Nature: Jolly
C'mon, the strongest Normal type got to be a Snorlax right? It has good defence, attack and that obvious high HP.

I have to give credit to Togekiss though, it has an awesome movepool and its always used in Competitive battling like what Hikari said.

VM | PM | MyAnimeList | Theme | Pairs | Previously
Old February 11th, 2013, 09:04 PM
CourageHound

Hey guys, everything is updated, including the member list and topics.

So firstly I'd like to welcome Cirno for joining us! It seems you picked some adorable looking pokemon.

Also I'd like to congradulate AlexOzzyCake for reaching 10 posts, and acheive your first simple vanilla star next to your name.

As for the voting for the club mascot, not surprisingly at all the winner is Eevee! And I cant blame all who voted for the little furball, cuz he's downright adorable!

As for the current topic:

I think alot of people are agreeing tha Togekiss is among the strongest normal types. And yea I agree. Just look at its movepool, its stats(great phsical and special bulk, along with killer sp attack, and decent speed), it can perform a wide variety of tasks and functions for its team. It can sweep with nasty plot, support with wish and heal bell, flinch hax with air slash/thunder wave, double battle support, etc. etc. Really, Togekiss is one of those pokemon you can really get creative with. I've seen people use it on a rain team with water pulse abusing the rain boost along with its abillity(serene grace) to boost confusion chance. I use Togekiss on my OU team consistently so I'm familiar with its potential.

If you guys want to continue discussing the current topic you all are free to do so. However I do have some new topic ideas in mind.

EDIT/NOTICE: Ok guys I changed my mind. We are going to have a featured pokemon every so often instead of a permanent mascot. Simply because I find it awkward to have eevee as the mascot seeing as there is already an eevee and eeveelution club. Nonetheless, eevee is still our featured pokemon winner.

Last edited by CourageHound; February 11th, 2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old February 12th, 2013, 06:55 AM
AWsquared
It's another wolf bite.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to AWsquared
What is the strongest normal type in your opinion?

I'd would say Slaking if not for Traunt slowing it down. Without that ability it would be the strongest. So I'm gonna say Togekiss is the strongest. From what I read on Smogon ,it's a sweeper, a defensive tank, a Nasty Ploter and Baton Passer all in one! And along with Serene Grace, great stats and movepool to top it off.

Mega Sceptile and Treecko for life yo.
DeviantArt |Tumblr | Art Gallery| Ask Me Stuff |Paired to | Avatar source:[x]
Old February 12th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Jiggly
in a relationship with Jynx

Nature: Sassy
Name: Jiggly

Partner Pokemon: Pink Floyd the Jigglypuff, Proxy the Ditto, and Patronus the Stantler

Reason for Joining: I've loved normal type pokemon since I can remember. They're strong, and very capable of taking out the best of the best. I'm also infatuated by their appearance too! From the cute and the fluffy to the badass and the sassy, there's a normal type Pokémon for everyone! Also, normal type moves are very impressive. You have totally devastating moves like Hyper Beam & Giga Impact, but as well as those you have moves like Attract or Sing. Urgh they're just so great.

Answer the current topic: Which is the strongest normal type Pokémon? I've always loved Blissey because it's probably one of the toughest walls out there. It's cute as heck too! Porygon & it's evo's are pretty slick too.

Favorite Normal Type Move: Metronome
Old February 15th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Olli
we keep this love in a photograph

What is the strongest normal type in your opinion?

As stated earlier, I've never really actually used that many Normal type Pokemon, and I've never really battle competitively, so it's kinda hard to answer while mentioning a Pokemon that is actually strong. From the ones I've used though, I think I'd have to say Snorlax. I tried it out in Pokemon Online once a while back, and with the right moveset, it did really well in battle. Of course a lot of the reason for that is due to the effect of the moves, especially Curse that with enough uses could turn it nearly unstopable from anything other than critical hits, however it's still one of the strongest I've yet used.

Sponsored Links