The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General

Notices

Pokémon General Theories, experiences and other discussions regarding the Pokémon franchise that can't be covered in any of the other boards.
Feel like talking about Pokémon manga? Check this out! Want to discuss and share Pokémon music and videos? Click here!

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 24th, 2013, 08:18 PM
GhastlyGastly
Crazy Pokémon Lady

Nature: Sassy

Advertise here
I was once a Light-type desirer too, like many Pokémon fans out there. Having looked into the origins of the Psychic-, Fighting-, and Dark-types however, I have come to believe that there will never be a 'Light-type'; and that there really shouldn't be one.

First off, we must begin with the addition of the Dark-type in Generation II. It is effectively known that it was done specifically as a foil to the Psychic- and Ghost-types, which had been virtually invincible in Generation I.

However, many have since complained that Dark-types need a Light-type to balance the situation, along with Psychic (which, in most logic, would be effective against 'Light'). I once shared this view. Indeed, the Psychic-Dark relationship can appear rather one-sided and polarized; if one doesn't think of the third type which completes the triad. Fighting-type.

In its original Japanese, the type which is given as 'Fighting' in English (and most translations) is 格闘 (かくとう) (kakutō): which can be translated as approximately 'to fight', 'to grapple', 'to battle'. Thus, 'Fighting' is a fair translation; but how does that make it appropriate as the third member of the Psychic-Dark type trio I hear you ask? I'm getting to it.

In Japan, there is a very long, ancient history of samurai, the warrior class of feudal Japan. The martial arts of Japan, as well as war, battle, and fighting in general are typically associated with samurai; as are honor, nobility, chivalry, and righteous. Understanding where I'm going yet? If not, don't worry, I'll explain further.

In some sense, the Fighting-type can be considered a sort of 'Hero-type'.

The Dark-type, in Japan, is called 悪 (あく) (aku): meaning literally 'evil' or 'wicked'. The Dark-type, therefore, could be dubbed a sort of 'Villain-type'. Get it yet?

The Psychic-type is a sort of mind-over-matter, magical, almost wizard-like type; the Fighting-type is a straight battling, martial-arts-wielding, hero-like type; the Dark-type is a brutal, unforgiving, shadowy, malicious, villain-like type. Psychic trumps Fighting because it's brain-over-brawn; Fighting trumps Dark because it's good beating evil; Dark trumps Psychic because it's underhanded tactics and chaos doing a number on restricted, calculated logic and reason. Dark beats Psychic almost the way that the Joker can outwit Batman in most cases, to use a non-Pokémon analogy: the Joker is ruthless, reckless, and completely insane, and thus, calm, calculating, intellectual Batman is unable to predict his moves. But Batman is also a bit of a powerhouse fighter, and so even though he can seldom predict the Joker's underhanded and vicious attacks, good wins against evil, and virtue triumphs over wickedness, etc., etc...

So, in short, there will never be a Light-type. Because there already is one. We just happen to call it the Fighting-type.
Old January 24th, 2013, 08:48 PM
pokemanmdj
Random Passerby

Nature: Relaxed
Oh my goodness.

This...

This is pure genius, good sir.
Though I still think Physic not even affecting Dark is still conversational in the Physic-Dark-Fighting complex, it looks as if you did your research, and it all adds up.

...I have nothing else I can really say; great job on figuring this out!
Old January 24th, 2013, 08:52 PM
Whistler
Questioner

Nature: Gentle
If there were light types, I think they'd be strong against dark, bug, and flying types, but maybe weak against ground, rock, and grass types.
Old January 25th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Cassino
A TPC classic.

I can be thankful that I seem no longer to be the only person who realises this.
This will be good to link to when the topic is inevitably brought up again... maybe it should be added to a trivia sticky somewhere?

DA | YT | In the navy, yes, you can sail the seven seas. In the navy, yes, you can put your mind at ease.

Last edited by Cassino; January 25th, 2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old January 25th, 2013, 06:47 PM
Sweets Witch
I just love ham jerky.

Nature: Adamant
This is the best explanation for it that I've ever read. I applaud you for this.
Old January 25th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Seki
You idiot!

Nature: Jolly
This guy... is absoulutely right. You deserve a 'like' and a sticky. I never liked the idea of Light types after all.

VM | PM | MyAnimeList | Theme | Pairs | Previously
Old January 26th, 2013, 10:39 AM
KingHm01
Unhatched Egg

Send a message via Skype™ to KingHm01
Wow, never thought of it like that! Glad I read this! :D
Old January 26th, 2013, 03:58 PM
Wandering~Leaf
-Mordor and Eldar Supporter :3

Nature: Modest
Hmm...that's interesting. I've never thought of it that way at all. Nice job, this deserves a like.

"Now the Elves made many rings; but secretly Sauron made One Ring to rule all the others, and their power was bound up with it, to be subject wholly to it and to last only so long as it too should last."
Old January 26th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Keyaki

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Keyaki
And what about Bug types? They beat both Psychic and Dark.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old February 8th, 2013, 03:53 AM
CloysterOyster
Master of Ice

Nature: Lax
If there was a Light-type, what kind of Pokémon would that type represent...angels or fairies or what? I could see it being a nice secondary type to Cleffa's evolutionary line or other benevolent ones. Light would probably be the only type to be super effective and weak against Dark. Not only Dark, but Light could also beat Psychic and Ghosts types too. These are all typical strengths and weaknesses in real life.
I have made Facebook pages of all 721 existing Pokémon plus Mega evolutions. If you want to join them, search for them in this format: [Pokémon's name], Pokémon # [Pokédex number], or for Mega evolutions, just type in Mega [Pokémon's name]
Old February 14th, 2013, 07:06 PM
Atomic Pirate
I always win.

Nature: Impish
Wow. You, sir, deserve a medal.

There is no point in a Light type, and there never will be.

PM me if you add me.

My Friend Safari is Water-type, with Gyarados, Azumarill, and Octillery.
Old February 17th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Plusleminun
Togepi

Nature: Quiet
AAARRGGGGHH (╯'□')╯︵ ┻━┻

Sorry, I was carried away, very interesting. Never thought of it before.
Old February 18th, 2013, 11:59 AM
FlameChocobo
Warrior of Hoenn

Nature: Lonely
What annoyed me the most is that the title Black and White just screams "Light type." But Game Freak didn't announce it. Black and White is a misleading title IMO.

I still consider it a theory even though I do agree that there won't be Light type. If there is gonna be one, I can imagine it being super effective against Ghost and Dark types which completely eliminates "no weakness," but doesn't deal as much damage as Fire, and Dragon type. It can resist Psychic, Fighting, and Bug types, and become immune to Ghost types, but is weak to Dark type moves.

Other than that, Game Freak shouldn't have bothered naming 5th Generation main stream games "Black and White" in a first place. That's my main gripe about the decision making in 5th Generation.
Old February 18th, 2013, 05:26 PM
AmericanWonderland
Sassmaster

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to AmericanWonderland
You sir are a genius. You clearly did your research and this makes absolute sense.

White 2 Friend Code= 3010 6901 0098
Old February 18th, 2013, 05:38 PM
LilJz
Zoeeyyyyy! ♥
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
You sir deserve a round of applause. I never really liked the idea of a light type anyways. I think the typing right now is just good as it is. Balanced all the way.

Except for Dark/ghost type.
Old February 18th, 2013, 05:43 PM
Altomare
Purupuru!

Wow! You clearly did your research. I'm impressed.
Old February 18th, 2013, 07:06 PM
BeanBag
Unhatched Egg

This blew my mind when I first read this. I had to read it again to see if I was reading the right thing. It all makes sense now, and I was one of the people that used to argue that there should be a light type lol.
Old February 19th, 2013, 02:49 AM
Synthet

Nature: Careful
*Slow clap*

Bravo sir. You've completely sold me on this concept, and also managed to make fighting types even more awesome. Bravo.
Old February 19th, 2013, 03:12 AM
SolarAbusoru
Go Go PokéRangers

Nature: Adamant
Thank you for giving this explanation, it makes a lot of sense. And also just makes all 3 types all the more awesome.

Lover of all things Pokémon and Nintendo, and Atlus
Signature Pokémon: Luxray
Old February 19th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Thougar
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Quirky
I'm honestly just rooting for a light type because it sounds like something I could add to my Sun team

Although Solar beam and flash cannon would be annoying.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 06:33 PM
FlameChocobo
Warrior of Hoenn

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilJz1234 View Post
Except for Dark/ghost type.
This! Except if you use moves like Foresight and Odor Sleuth on that Pokemon. Miracle Eye is dead useless thanks to Wonder Guard. I'd be angry if they announce that type....
Old February 22nd, 2013, 07:01 PM
Elaitenstile
➜is not the last B E A C O N

Send a message via Skype™ to Elaitenstile
Wow. Whatta great discovery. I read this up, and now I can't believe it. I thank you for making this discovery. I also wanted the 'Light Type' since long, and right now I've found the truth. More reasons why Fighting is the 'Hero':

★It has only two weaknesses
★It has FIVE advantages (WTF)

★'Aura Sphere' is a Light concerned move, and would certainly be the 'Light' type

Previously known as Elaitenstile 
Old February 23rd, 2013, 04:25 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
All I'll say is this: "FINALLY SOMEONE ACTUALLY READ THE JAPANESE "DARK" TYPE".
That is the most important aspect why there will never be a light type.
We have seen too many misstranslations but this one is probably my most hated as this always makes people wonder "why is there no light type?!?!?" when there was never "Yami" (dark) type to begin with.
And what's light without darkness...?

Anime List | PSN Trophy List

Last edited by Satoshi Ookami; February 23rd, 2013 at 04:30 AM.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 09:01 AM
Yazzo
Bad Egg

Nature: Brave
The Light type COULD exist as an equal to dark type-ish type, if it was effective/non-effective to the same types as light except that pokemon that are for example psychic and light got different moves than pokemon with psyichic and dark, so it would open up possibilities for more cool pokemon. I would think that was pretty cool ,since very many ghost, poison & psychic pokemon are dark, evil creatures :p

What about some light, good-hearted creatures that's still ghosts?
Old March 2nd, 2013, 10:33 AM
skyluigi2
L-let's-a go...!

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to skyluigi2
I'm thankful that, after reading this, people will see the light (ahem) and stop asking for a Light-type.
This late in the series, a new type would throw old concepts out of the window so to speak, and I don't think that's something Game Freak are willing to do

☆ 3DS FC: 5069-3912-3062
☆ Let me know if you've added me!

☆ Next most anticipated game(s): Super Smash Bros. for 3DS, Bayonetta 2, Fantasy Life, Hyrule Warriors and Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

☆ Currently playing: Pokémon Platinum and Animal Crossing: New Leaf

☆ I'm known on Twitter as skyluigi2 as well

skyluigi2
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here