Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

Old February 3rd, 2013 (08:15 PM).
Shadow Ninja
Unhatched Egg

As the name dictates, I am creating an online game but cannot create a custom logon screen that will acess a certain users saved game when signing in, if someone could point me in the right direction that would be awesome.

I did search for it through the forums but i didnt find it or related topics (but i could have missed it)f

Thanks,

Shadow Ninja
Old February 4th, 2013 (01:21 PM).
andytu
Ditto engine developer

Quote originally posted by Shadow Ninja:
As the name dictates, I am creating an online game but cannot create a custom logon screen that will acess a certain users saved game when signing in, if someone could point me in the right direction that would be awesome.

I did search for it through the forums but i didnt find it or related topics (but i could have missed it)f

Thanks,

Shadow Ninja
Really need more info - what are you developing in? Depending on whether your game is web-based or an applet like Java etc makes it different. Also are you intending for each command to be dealt with server-side MMORPG style, or are you simply wanting to let players store their saves online, as many flash games do?

That said, simplest way for a server-side game would be using PHP to look up an SQL table. I would have a table for the usernames, user ids and their hashed passwords, give the client a session key based on that (by hashing their username with a timestamp), and then a separate table mapping each user id to the location of the save data on your server. Then any requests for data would be made through the session key.
Old February 4th, 2013 (03:16 PM).
DaSpirit
Mad Programmer

Nature: Quiet
You need to either rent a web server (GoDaddy is cheap) or use a spare computer. You cannot use a free web host as most don't allow to use databases for games and you cannot use a spare computer as most internet providers don't allow or have enough bandwidth that you'll need.

Whichever you use, it needs MySQL and PHP as andytu suggested, so make sure you find a host that provides it. It would probably cost you $300 every 3 years for a common host that provides these features.
Old February 15th, 2013 (06:36 PM).
Ooka
<3
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Ooka
Quote originally posted by DaSpirit:
You need to either rent a web server (GoDaddy is cheap) or use a spare computer. You cannot use a free web host as most don't allow to use databases for games and you cannot use a spare computer as most internet providers don't allow or have enough bandwidth that you'll need.

Whichever you use, it needs MySQL and PHP as andytu suggested, so make sure you find a host that provides it. It would probably cost you $300 every 3 years for a common host that provides these features.
Actually feel free to use http://freehostia.com. Completely free hosting with the languages you need.

If you get a paid host you'll have a few more options. One with Ruby installed means you can just use that, if you're already familiar with RGSS (You'll probably want Ruby on Rails).
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links