The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General

Notices

Pokémon General Theories, experiences and other discussions regarding the Pokémon franchise that can't be covered in any of the other boards.
Feel like talking about Pokémon manga? Check this out! Want to discuss and share Pokémon music and videos? Click here!

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 8th, 2013, 02:59 AM
CloysterOyster
Master of Ice

Nature: Lax

Advertise here
I took a hiatus when the Johto series ended and the Hoenn and Sinnoh series aired. I hadn't watched Pokémon full-time since 2002 and through 2003-2009 is when I missed out on the show. I was going through personal problems and high school around that time, so I inadvertently stopped watching the show but still played the games. Another reason was when in 2008, my Crystal version for my Gameboy Color dried up and erased all my data, so that also was a cut-off point. When I became very ill and bedridden in the summer of 2009, that's when I started watching Pokémon again. I love it that my interest in Pokémon has been sparked again. I can't wait for the new ones to be released this fall.
I have made Facebook pages of all 721 existing Pokémon plus Mega evolutions. If you want to join them, search for them in this format: [Pokémon's name], Pokémon # [Pokédex number], or for Mega evolutions, just type in Mega [Pokémon's name]
Old February 8th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Mochi

Nature: Sassy
I've never actually 'quit' Pokemon but there will be months where I won't play it much, but I usually pick it back up whenever new games come out or I restart one of my older games.
Old February 8th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Aeon
Now face the avalanche

Nature: Quiet
Never in entirety. I was always somewhere.
Old February 8th, 2013, 10:42 AM
Fossil Fusion
Unhatched Egg

Not really. Sometimes I phase more of my attention to other things!
Old February 8th, 2013, 12:30 PM
.EJ
Arrow<3
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Relaxed
Yes, multiple times and then I relapse and play again. Lately what I do is replay through the story again...my current one is Black.
Old February 8th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Killjoy
"He was a laser fish."

Nature: Quiet
Yep, between Gen 3 and the start of Gen 5. One day I found my gameboy and a copy of gold in my closet, and ended up getting back into it. Played through Gold, then picked up a DSi with White, that's were it all started again. Within 2 months I was through B/W, HG, Pl, and a copy of Emerald on an SP that I borowed from a friend
Old February 9th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Febbe

Nature: Quirky
I Just came back to pokemon :D the last game i played before Quitting was pokemon Fire Red, i just found other things interestingfor some years (i thought pokemon was childish and i wanted to be an Adult...) but then i found Pokemon again and said to my self that i can enjoy whatever i want to, even though pokemon may be childish. my friends think that, but i just imagine my sandslash Rips everything in pieces with Slash, with the blood spraying out of the enemies :D not so childish anymore......
Old February 9th, 2013, 11:32 AM
KKN
A Borrowed Cat

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Yahoo to KKN
I never quit it, but I did give away all my Pokémon stuff (except cards and games) away sometime during middle school. Sometime in high school or college, I started to regret giving it all away. My collection has grown since, but there are still some things I used to have that I still wish I had, like my talking Mew doll, Squirtle candy dispenser, and Togepi lollipop topper.

However, I did quit the anime. I lost interest in it sometime during Pokémon Advanced. I still watch the movies, though.

Ice-type Trainer & Dunsparce Fanatic | 3DS Friend Code: 4081-5742-6200
Karite-Kita-Neko @deviantARTKjKun Neko @GPXPlus

Last edited by KKN; February 9th, 2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old February 9th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Toutebelle
Banned

I quit twice.

The first was in 2001, when I was 9. By then I thought I had gotten too old. I remember back in 1999 and 2000 almost every kid I knew liked Pokemon. Then, around 2001, so many of them quit. I was one of them. I didn't even think about Pokemon much for two years.

In 2003, I got interested in again after playing Pokemon Gold. Since I had a GBA, I was able to get Pokemon Sapphire. I also got LeafGreen when it came out. However, in 2006 I started to fall behind since I didn't have a DS. I gradually lost interest in Pokemon, and by 2007 it was over again.

However, in 2009 I joined FanFiction.Net and saw there were many Pokemon fics. I had obtained my first DS in Christmas of 2008, so now I had something to play it on. In October of 2009, I purchased a used Pokemon Pearl copy. I got Platinum as a graduation gift in 2010, and I got Pokemon Black the day it came out. I'm now on Black 2. So far, I've been a consistent fan since 2009.

I did quit the anime after the Orange Island arc. A few years later, I would occasionally watch the Johto arc in secret. I quit for good by the time Ash & co. reached Clair.

I quit the trading card game in 2001. I still have the old cards stowed away.
Old February 10th, 2013, 04:38 PM
Wandering~Leaf
-Mordor and Eldar Supporter :3

Nature: Modest
Well, I doubt I will ever officially stop doing anything Pokemon-related.

However, I do sometimes have hiatus-es from anything related to Pokemon, but, eventually, I get back into Pokemon again. It's just a cycle, really.

"Now the Elves made many rings; but secretly Sauron made One Ring to rule all the others, and their power was bound up with it, to be subject wholly to it and to last only so long as it too should last."
Old February 10th, 2013, 05:47 PM
RenegadeClyde
....'-'.

Nature: Bold
I've quit once. Me and my friend, when younger, loved Pokémon more than anything. We used to play together, make challenges and bets, trade pokémon...we even played some kind of "Pokémon rpg" with other kids. (Everyone had a little book to store information, like Pokémon, items and money.)

But then when 4th generation came out, he said he wouldn't buy a DS to get the new games and that had lost interest in Pokémon, and stopped. I've done the same thing when I noticed I was the only one that still had a passion for the games, animes, mangas...But then, somewhere around 2009, I was watching TV, and a Pokémon episode started, and I remembered why I liked it so much.
Old February 10th, 2013, 06:50 PM
Lugia16

Yeah after ruby and sapphire i lost interest but then i bought white 2 and now im a pokemaniac again.
Old February 10th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Rϵd
Ahola Bith

Nature: Careful
never. yes, i mean, no, AH! i never forgot pkmn but started playing other games

Theme | Pairs | PC Battle Server

I am gone bye
Old February 27th, 2013, 12:48 PM
Altair
Incognito

Nature: Brave
I started to lose my interest in Pokemon late last year and I've been playing since 2000, I've started to play again today though. I only play the games by the way, I rarely watch the series and if I do I watch the original season. I have all the DS mainstream games, yet I haven't even played half of them, I also haven't finished B/W2. But I'll soon change that! ;D
Old February 27th, 2013, 12:57 PM
stp
ShootThePuck

All the time. I'll take periodic brakes for months and months and then just start playing again all of a sudden.

Old February 27th, 2013, 01:42 PM
Otter Mii-kun
Molly, you're cute ;)

In early 2006, I had almost entirely quit Pokémon, turning in all my games, and getting rid of much of my Pokémon merchandise, primarily because I felt there was something "evil" about it, and I also thought I was getting too old for that sort of thing.
However, in recent times, I have been looking back at my memories of when I was really into the franchise, and have been playing the first two generations' games via emulators, particularly since I've been going through some personal issues IRL.
Old February 28th, 2013, 03:27 PM
EGKangaroo
Tail-bumps for all 'roolovers!

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to EGKangaroo Send a message via Skype™ to EGKangaroo
I never really quit explicitly, but around halfway the third gen, I sort of started slipping away from the episodes, and I hardly played the newer games. I wasn't really acquainted with the fandom any longer and hardly even knew the names of any of the third gen pokémon. I guess it happened when my time was occupied with school, because at the time, I entered high school, but even before that, in my last two years of primary -- just after I moved to Tilburg -- I started getting out of touch with pokémon. I guess most of my classmates got me discouraged from watching and playing pokémon because I was teased about it. They found me infantile for liking it and I was sort of proselytised to act more like them, like one of those "gangsta" 11 year olds, if you get the drift. To be honest, I never really liked that school, and they even tried to convince me to go to a much lower quality high school afterwards because it would be more "fun" there. That's when I decided to hell with them, and I turned my back on my class.

That's to give you the backstory of why my love for pokémon began to fade. Kind of like a poor kid who was missing an identity, I am pretty sure I've been a Yoshi fanboy, then I went through a period I was obsessed with moose (don't ask), then one insuspicious afternoon, I was surfing the web, and I am not sure what the heck I searched for, but for some reason, a blue jackal showed up on my screen in one of the results, and it piqued my interest so much that I wanted to know what it was from. I wasn't really sure. It could have been a digimon, it could have been from some obscure but probably awesome cartoon I didn't know about. I eventually got a hunch that it was a pokémon, and sure enough, when I searched all over bulbapedia I found that blue jackal named Lucario again, and I re-discovered pokémon.

My absence has still left a big gap for me. A big chunk of the third generation, and almost all of the fourth generation anime is just a big question mark for me. I rarely even watch fifth generation because of how bad I think it is, but the games, that's where I am back, that and the roleplaying. I've sort of gotten to that point where I think the fan-created content has become more interesting than the actual franchise, but forget pokémon I will never again.
Old February 28th, 2013, 05:45 PM
imevil
Biggest Scyther Fan
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
I did for a while. From about when I was 8-9 to when I was like 13/. I got back into and just hated all that I had missed.
Emerald Second City Challenge- COMPLETE
ULTIMATE MONOTYPE WATER!
Fire Red (COMPLETE) -> Crystal (COMPLETE) -> Emerald (COMPLETE) -> Platinum(COMPLETE -> Black 2

Hunger Games Challenge- District 8: Ruby 2/8

Old February 28th, 2013, 07:19 PM
CloysterOyster
Master of Ice

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by EGKangaroo View Post
I never really quit explicitly, but around halfway the third gen, I sort of started slipping away from the episodes, and I hardly played the newer games. I wasn't really acquainted with the fandom any longer and hardly even knew the names of any of the third gen pokémon. I guess it happened when my time was occupied with school, because at the time, I entered high school, but even before that, in my last two years of primary -- just after I moved to Tilburg -- I started getting out of touch with pokémon. I guess most of my classmates got me discouraged from watching and playing pokémon because I was teased about it. They found me infantile for liking it and I was sort of proselytised to act more like them, like one of those "gangsta" 11 year olds, if you get the drift. To be honest, I never really liked that school, and they even tried to convince me to go to a much lower quality high school afterwards because it would be more "fun" there. That's when I decided to hell with them, and I turned my back on my class.

That's to give you the backstory of why my love for pokémon began to fade. Kind of like a poor kid who was missing an identity, I am pretty sure I've been a Yoshi fanboy, then I went through a period I was obsessed with moose (don't ask), then one insuspicious afternoon, I was surfing the web, and I am not sure what the heck I searched for, but for some reason, a blue jackal showed up on my screen in one of the results, and it piqued my interest so much that I wanted to know what it was from. I wasn't really sure. It could have been a digimon, it could have been from some obscure but probably awesome cartoon I didn't know about. I eventually got a hunch that it was a pokémon, and sure enough, when I searched all over bulbapedia I found that blue jackal named Lucario again, and I re-discovered pokémon.

My absence has still left a big gap for me. A big chunk of the third generation, and almost all of the fourth generation anime is just a big question mark for me. I rarely even watch fifth generation because of how bad I think it is, but the games, that's where I am back, that and the roleplaying. I've sort of gotten to that point where I think the fan-created content has become more interesting than the actual franchise, but forget pokémon I will never again.
I am really touched by your story. I'm glad you rediscovered Pokémon. Who cares what age we end up to be, Pokémon is one of those things that'll be close to our hearts forever. I have been called alot of bad things and seen as childish for my love of Pokémon but I don't care, they don't know how important the memories and everything about it mean to me.
I have made Facebook pages of all 721 existing Pokémon plus Mega evolutions. If you want to join them, search for them in this format: [Pokémon's name], Pokémon # [Pokédex number], or for Mega evolutions, just type in Mega [Pokémon's name]
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here