The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Video Games

Notices

Video Games For non-Pokémon related game discussion. This area is for talking about computer and video gaming, from Nintendo to Sony, Microsoft to Sega, PC to Commodore.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 5th, 2013, 04:01 AM
Spinosaurus

Advertise here
Now iss a better time than ever to get a 3DS. Pokemon X/Y isn't worth waiting for when you can play better games like this one, Luigi's Mansion 2, and Kid Icarus Uprising right now, to name some.

And whatever you do, regardless if this is your first Fire Emblem, always always play on classic. It's not very fun without that, and the game's easy enough anyway.
Old May 5th, 2013, 04:08 AM
Teanji
Wielder of the Sol Blade!

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinosaurus View Post
Now iss a better time than ever to get a 3DS. Pokemon X/Y isn't worth waiting for when you can play better games like this one, Luigi's Mansion 2, and Kid Icarus Uprising right now, to name some.

And whatever you do, regardless if this is your first Fire Emblem, always always play on classic. It's not very fun without that, and the game's easy enough anyway.
Hmm.. Well, perhaps I'll look around for a good deal then. As for classic mode, I'm very much a hard-mode player when it comes to tactical games that I'm playing at my own rate, so that seems very natural for me to choose.
Old May 5th, 2013, 06:13 AM
machomuu
Fueled by Pepsi
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Also is newcomer "spoiling" anyone? My brother refuses to play other Fire Emblems just because of the whole death *l+r+start* thing. Wonder if I can get him to play Advance Wars instead.
Get him to play Shin Monshou no Nazo for the DS, that one also has a Casual Mode.
Old May 5th, 2013, 07:06 AM
Yoshistar64
Kanrinin-saaannnnnn!!!

Quote:
Also is newcomer "spoiling" anyone? My brother refuses to play other Fire Emblems just because of the whole death *l+r+start* thing. Wonder if I can get him to play Advance Wars instead.
I think that the main difference between Classic and Casual (pardon me for oversimplifying) is that you have to employ completely different tacticals depending on whether or not you can sacrifice a soldier on the field without any real consequences, and this was probably addressed earlier in the thread. This really can't be emphasized enough; to refuse to play because of that soft reset aspect is to say that there is absolutely no difference between both modes. If I played on Casual, a legitimate strategy would be to get my blob of troops to rush recklessly into the enemy's line of attack. This is not the case in Classic mode; the game is much slower and you must consider a plethora of other offensive/defensive tacticals so that you don't have to reset or say goodbye to one of your units. The frustration of not wanting to lose any units and having to reset when they die is part of what makes Fire Emblem an awesome and unique strategy game. Really, the only people who take the permadeath-and-that's-final thing to heart are the people who want to play the game a little differently, Nuzlocke style, and that's great for them! I'm actually considering playing like that someday.
Old May 7th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Spinosaurus

Should I use a master seal on Donnel right now or wait until he's level 15 to get the underdog skill? Can't decide. I broke my "no grind" rule and from just two random fights from the map most of my units are all kinds of overpowered so I have no problem babysitting Donny a little more. In chapter 9 right now.
Kinda regret grinding, though, even for a bit. Makes the game less fun. But honestly I don't have time restarting a whole chapter from one simple mistake right now. :x

Gotta say, even though I haven't played all Fire Emblems, Chrom is so boring. My least favorite lord by far. If he gets in Brawl over Ike I'd be pissed. (luckily Marth is irreplaceable.) Also, after seeing his support with Donnel, Kellam is adorable! I need to find him a girl. Him, and Virion in fact. I already got Donnel planned to marry Lissa.
Old May 7th, 2013, 12:59 PM
shadowdueler474
Muffins for all!

^Donnel can't master seal as a villager. He needs to second seal first. Classes that go up to level 30 (Dread Fighter, Lodestar, Bride, Villager) can't master seal.

Old May 8th, 2013, 05:30 AM
Spinosaurus

Ah good to know. I've also got a second seal anyway. Which class is better for Donny? Mercenary or Fighter? I'm thinking of mercenary right now.
Old May 8th, 2013, 12:43 PM
shadowdueler474
Muffins for all!

Mercenary fits him better because he gets armsthrift and Donnel has great luck so he would get some good use out of it.

Old May 9th, 2013, 07:41 PM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

So.. there's new DLC ready to purchase!

There's the third vacation map, which is the Hot Spring Scramble, which you can get for $3.00. There's also the first of a new set of DLC, which is called The Future Past, that costs $3.00. Like with all sets, you can get the pack of the Future Past DLC sets as well.

Does anyone plan to get either of them? I'm aiming to get the Future Past DLC. :3

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old May 9th, 2013, 07:49 PM
shadowdueler474
Muffins for all!

I can't get the future past ones (I like future of despair better). No money. But I like how the fathers don't have generic convos with their children in it.

I got the spa one but haven't played it.

Old May 14th, 2013, 01:47 PM
Spinosaurus

I finally beat the game!

But I have a confession. By chapter 20, I grew very impatient all of a sudden and just wanted the game to end so bad, and solo'd the rest of the game with a Hero class Donnel paired with Chrom. Is this guy the most overpowered Fire Emblem character? With armsthrift and sol, I'd say yes.

These are the pairings that I did:
Chrom x Sumia (was automatic. Would have went with it anyway.)
Lon'Qu x Sully
Donnel x Lissa
Virion x Cherche (Their kid makes so much sense.)

That pretty much covers all the females that I used, plus Anna who doesn't have anyone to have a romantic relationship with. I'd also have used Flavia and Basilion had I not decided to make the game Donnel Emblem.

I also intended to marry the other guys that I used. Was planning on:
Vaike x Panne
Kellam x Olivia
Gregor x (i'm drawing blanks. Who'd fit?)
But plans changed. The only children I used were Morgan (didn't plan to, but I wanted a berserker) and Owain. (didn't think I'd like him)

All and in all, I was disappointed. I felt the game, especially at later levels, was designed around grinding with second seals and support conversations. That strengthened the reason why I felt the whole game felt more like an RPG than a strategy. Early levels provided a perfect mix, but the game got worse each chapter. I also didn't like the story, well the one regarding Grima. I thought the Walhart arc was fantastic, and Gangrel proved to be an entertaining villain. But the end twist was deus ex machina at its worst. I grew to like most of the characters, but can't help but feel they're not what I expected. (especially the females. So one-dimensional.)

That's not to say it's a bad game by any means, far from it! It's still one of the best games on the 3DS by far. Maybe I had too much expectations for it, because I actually thought it could dethrone Luigi's Mansion 2 as the best game on the 3DS. It ended up being my least favorite Fire Emblem. Not that I have played many on the series, to be fair, but it's still something I feel the need to say. I'll see if I'll end up liking Fire Emblem 7 better, because that one's next.

I'll probably give the game another and proper go later, if I feel like it. A normal/classic playthrough with no grinding, or hard/classic with no grinding if I have the time. Going to try different pairings and stuff I suppose, and no Donny this time because I don't want anymore Donny Emblem.

Last edited by Spinosaurus; May 14th, 2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old May 14th, 2013, 01:55 PM
shadowdueler474
Muffins for all!

The plot was definitely lacking in this game compared to Path of Radiance or Blazing Sword.

Donny gets annoying to use in the harder difficulties. He's like impossible to use in Lunatic. But if you grind enough the game could become *insert name here* Emblem.

An aww you didn't get to see all the kids. You didn't get Brady or Laurent.

Also you ruined the experience by grinding. Makes the game no fun.

Old May 14th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Spinosaurus

The thing is I didn't grind much, just fought the random risens in the world map whenever I felt like it. DLC? Only used the free one once to get Marth early on. I also only used a second seal on Donnel and Morgan (to get a Berserker like I said). Some characters, if not most, still felt near-invincible. The challenge was by trying to keep the weaker units alive. Anna, for example, dies so quickly. Same for Kellam in later missions with all the magic users.

I'll probably get the rest of the kids some time. Maybe the next weekend. Would love to see all of them.
Old May 14th, 2013, 02:26 PM
shadowdueler474
Muffins for all!

Were you playing on Normal? Grinding even a little bit makes a unit OP. And yeah the kids are awesome. (get the GeromexInigo supports. They're amazing.)

Old May 14th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Spinosaurus

Hard/Classic. I admit that I can see that there's a big difficulty jump after chapter 19, but that's the point where I just used Donnel. When I tried using all my units on the last map they were slaughtered. lol
Old May 15th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Cordelia
Banned

Nature: Sassy
I beat Normal/Classic which was loleasy... but I tried Hard/Classic and I was slaughtered. There's no feasible way to grind without DLC which I can't get until I get my 3DS XL back. I'm playing on a friend's 3DS at the moment. I am, sadly, doing Hard/Casual which feels like a good amount of difficulty still but not as painful as Hard/Classic.
Old May 15th, 2013, 03:32 PM
shadowdueler474
Muffins for all!

Hard classic isn't thaaat bad. *shot*

Old May 15th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Cordelia
Banned

:< Maybe I'm just that bad. Lol, I had to reset every five minutes it seems... I got to Chapter 5 and just got slaughtered.
Old May 15th, 2013, 05:30 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
I'm at level 20 now, but currently getting a bunch of kids before continuing now. I plan to jump into Lunatic/Classic after I beat the game, so that should be fun!

Sheep in the Big City: General Specific
The BBS Forums!
Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!
Home of Wynaut? Webzine; looking for contributors!
Old May 15th, 2013, 07:19 PM
machomuu
Fueled by Pepsi
Community Supporter

Lunatic/Classic's first couple of Chapters are...just...just evil...
I thought Fire Emblem: Shin Monshou no Nazo's first couple chapters on its Lunatic equivalent was hard, but...ugh...
I mean, I love hard games. Heck, Touhou Project is one of my favorite series, but this kind of hard...it's not the same. It's more a matter of luck on the first couple of chapters than anything else. I've come across this before in other games, with varying entertainment and frustration in between. Whether it's the enjoyable frustration or the "This isn't fair game design" frustration varies as well.
Old May 15th, 2013, 07:36 PM
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
It took me several tries to get through the first chapter on Lunatic Classic.

There's a distinct strategy behind it and sometimes it just takes multiple tries, but be prepared for the dramatic deaths of Chrom or your Avatar multiple times before finding out the best way to get past the level.
Old May 16th, 2013, 05:13 AM
Cordelia
Banned

I tried Lunatic/Classic. Chrom died almost instantly, lol.
Old May 16th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Spinosaurus

I'd try Lunatic but some of the things that pissed me off on my first playthrough would piss me off much much more.

Actually, reinforcements alone will make me go with normal on my second playthrough because they don't move the same turn. Now, I have no problem with that normally, but maps, especially later maps, are pretty much designed around piling reinforcements on you from each side for a lot turns. This makes the maps a huge trial and error and requires memorization unless all of your units can defend themselves from anything, but this isn't possible unless you actually grind enough. This can get very frustrating. Not hard, but frustrating.

Thinking about it now, the design of the maps in this game are actually pretty disappointing (especially the later ones, the first 6 were fine but it got worse from there) and really highlight why I think this game is designed around overpowering your units instead of strategy. Of course, I only mean the main chapters. Side quest map design are great though, since they all require a different strategy considering it's mostly about recruiting new members or defending villagers/units or stuff like that.
Old May 16th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Mmm, so, there's new Spotpass & DLC Content:

You can get an item called Armads from the Bonus Box (a Axe that comes from Fire Emblem: Binding Blade), and The Future Past 2 is now available to purchase. :3

I've already finished The Future Past 1, so, I guess I might as well download this one. ><;

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old May 16th, 2013, 06:56 PM
machomuu
Fueled by Pepsi
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Doronjo View Post
Mmm, so, there's new Spotpass & DLC Content:

You can get an item called Armads from the Bonus Box (a Axe that comes from Fire Emblem: Binding Blade), and The Future Past 2 is now available to purchase. :3

I've already finished The Future Past 1, so, I guess I might as well download this one. ><;
How is Future Past, anyway? It seems pretty interesting, but I'm not completely sure whether I should buy it.

Sponsored Links

Advertise here