The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 24th, 2013 (12:52 PM).
Xrock
Unhatched Egg

Fan Service either bothers me or humors me. For example, in Highschool of the Dead, it became really irritating because there were so much and i actually enjoyed the action and plot of the anime.
Old March 24th, 2013 (10:35 PM).
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightBlade View Post
Why aren't fictional characters fighting, manipulating each other, using their powers, or dying enough?!
Probably people need to fap while seeing it... hard to answer...
And as for Gurren Lagan... it's Gainax :D We couldn't have expected anything else xD

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old March 29th, 2013 (09:57 AM).
Xaldin
Big things come in Nice packages.

The only time i appreciated the fan service was during Great Teacher Onizuka,where comical wise,it had me laughing for minutes Xd. Any other time it seems unnecessary to me *cough* Queen's Blade *cough*
Old March 29th, 2013 (10:38 AM).
Scarlet Rhapsody

In the past, fanservice used to bother me quite a bit and is the reason why I dropped a few anime within a couple of episodes. Now it doesn't bother me all that much as long as it doesn't get in the way of the action or story.

Old April 4th, 2013 (03:57 PM).
ZetaZaku
AEUG Pilot

I don't really mind fanservice if it's not overboard or lame. I'm talking about fanservice in normal shows, as talking about fanservice in a show like Highschool of the Dead or Manyuu Hikenchou is pointless. Example: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure had a bit of it in that episode when Lisa Lisa takes a bath. She spent the rest of the episode with a towel. It was done nicely and didn't ruin the episode. On the other hand, I barely finished some Code Geass episodes because of fanservice. Why? Because it was cheap and wasn't done with style. "Look! A waterfall! I'm a girl so I must take a shower *takes of clothes*. I really liked Kallen in the first season, but as the show went on, I started disliking her because they ruined her character. She was nothing more than a character whose purpose was showing some T&A.

PM for Happy Hour Smeagles
Old April 4th, 2013 (04:04 PM).
Rai
Misao <3

Nature: Impish
Send a message via AIM to Rai
It depends on the anime. I think High School of The Dead is just ridiculous. But if an anime is good overall, I can usually look past the fan service.

Rosario + Vampire is one of my favorite animes (although I like the manga better) and it has tons of fan service. But it doesn't take away anything from the anime in my opinion. It is just kind of there. Sometimes it can be really funny or add to the humor. I honestly wish were less of it, but I love the characters in Rosario so much that I can look past it.
Old April 4th, 2013 (04:48 PM).
awolfsquared
I wish you a Merry Christmas!! (or CHRIStmas)
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to awolfsquared
I don't mind fan service as long as it's not excessive. There's some anime where the artist just throws it in for no reason and it just ruins a good plot sometimes (Any thing by Ken Akamatsu seems to do that alot.) If the fan service doesn't ruin the story, then I'm fine with it.

Merry Christmas everyone!
DeviantArt | Tumblr | Ask Me Stuff | Paired to
Old April 7th, 2013 (03:38 AM).
Kotowari
Will be back eventually
Community Supporter Tier 5

Now you all seem to be implying that fanservice solely exists for the male audience... It also exists for the female-aimed series, although it's less "panty-in-your-face", but more "sparkly-bishounen-with-his-chest-bared-at-any-given-moment-getting-very-close-with-another-male-of-the-same-kind".

That said, I'm not the kind of girl who enjoys in-your-face fanservice.
In fact, of the shounen series that I watched, it actually annoyed me when another character with huge wiggly boobs came on or when the viewer is treated to another gratuitous panty shot for no reason at all. And that's also the case for the female-targeted series. I'm not a fan of BL (just don't like it) and I regret to say that a lot of series tend to drop hints and shots just about everywhere, which makes me feel kind of uncomfortable.

What I do like, however, is the more subtle fanservice and that mostly means the artstyle. Hakuouki is one example of what I like for in a series: Strong story, very strong characters and very nice artwork (all main characters are pretty and handsome... haha |D;;) I'm a sucker for artwork and for me, that's enough of a reason to watch or not watch a series. So yeah, scenery pr0n, as one might call it, is more fanservice for me thnt gratuitous shots of certain (un)covered bodyparts.

My main oppinion: fanservice should not go at the cost of the story and character development. And it should not take away from the atmosphere (unless it's used for gags in an hilarious moment).

One example of a big-breasted girl done right, is Kanade from Chihayafuru. One person makes a comment about how her chest should weigh her down and limit her speed and agility in Karuta. And she replies that a hakama/kimono is perfect to wear with a big chest, and doesn't limit her at all.

"We shall build a peaceful world... Just you and me..."
Old April 7th, 2013 (04:43 AM).
GarlandDaHero
Cute Noivern is Cute.

Nature: Quirky
Bleh.

I'm kinda iffy about fan service. I've read the first four volumes of Fullmetal Alchemist, and the fan service is moderately low, with the character Lust providing the most within those volumes.

It really depends on the mood I'm in whether I like fan service or not.
Old April 7th, 2013 (05:40 AM).
Antemortem
we're fantastic

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Antemortem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Rosario + Vampire is one of my favorite animes (although I like the manga better) and it has tons of fan service. But it doesn't take away anything from the anime in my opinion. It is just kind of there. Sometimes it can be really funny or add to the humor. I honestly wish were less of it, but I love the characters in Rosario so much that I can look past it.
Well, it's not that fan service really ruins or takes away anything from an anime in particular, it's just that it seems unnecessary to some people because the anime does a fine job doing what it does and would continue to do so without the additional fan service. At least, that's how I feel about it. No anime has ever been ruined by fan service to me, just played up far too much.
suggestions and stuff on my profile because i value you lovelies. xo
oras ... cm ... final oras team
Old April 7th, 2013 (11:35 AM).
Rai
Misao <3

Nature: Impish
Send a message via AIM to Rai
I agree that it can be unnecessarily and it usually doesn't ruin the anime.

But then there's High School of The Dead... that anime was ruined for me because of the fan service. It is so over-the-top, unnecessary and ridiculous that I can't even sit through a few minutes of it. But this isn't true for most animes I have watched.

Sponsored Links