The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Fanfiction Archive
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Fanfiction Archive Finished works are archived here for easy reading.

 
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #251    
Old April 11th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Lopnis's Avatar
Lopnis
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Gender: Male
Wait a second is that Jasmine? Well that was honestly a suprise I was way off. Well against my better judgement, I say step forward so you can see her or whoever it is, but no one no circumstances do you scream or freak out no mater what she or they look like. Whoever they are ask how this happened to them.
  #252    
Old April 11th, 2013, 01:31 PM
******
Unhatched Egg
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
If met with further emo resistance, then curl up in a ball and start crying. Whine about how since you woke up in your room in New Bark Town, everything has tried to kill you. Ramble about all you wanted is to you know interact socially with someone, and -is that to much to ask ?- make a friend. But now you realized you're all alone, no one cares, etc (don't say "etc"). You could try to reflect upon your current situation to get the sobbing going.

If Vesta tries to intervene, it would be a good opportunity to get her out of your bag. You should then hug her jar and rant about she's your only friend in the world. If the jar burns you, don't be a wimp and hold onto it. You might look probably more miserable if burned. Bonus points if you manage to pass Vesta's speech off as ventriloquism.

If your interlocutor pity you enough, capitalize on that.
If it miserably fails, it would be socially appropriate to feel embarrassed.
In any case, it should be worth it.

Last edited by ******; April 11th, 2013 at 01:38 PM.
  #253    
Old April 12th, 2013, 04:12 AM
Raquira's Avatar
Raquira
Unhatched Egg
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: USA
Gender: Male
Nature: Quirky
> after nogotiations, try and convince Jasmine(?) to joine the party a mechanized super-human is always useful to have around , after all.
__________________

Still
thinking up a better signature.
  #254    
Old April 12th, 2013, 07:37 AM
sepser
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Gender: Male
Ask the voice why it thinks its appearance is your problem and what it has to do with you getting the information you want. Also promise to leave it alone if that is what it really wants when you have the information you came for. It might also help to point out that you are the player character and if you fail it will just be harassed by other incarnations of you (don’t point out the fact that everyone else died before they made it to Olivine).
  #255    
Old April 12th, 2013, 01:21 PM
c1234321's Avatar
c1234321
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Gender: Male
Seeing as the being you are dealing with is probably Jasmine, be gentle. Before the Dreaming, Jasmine was quiet, sweet, and kind. Remind her that appearance has nothing to do with that and she doesnt need to be afraid of how you perceive her. Also, it appears her metal flesh is rotting and she needs severe medical attention. Perhaps offer to help in this situation by asking if the Cianwood pharmacy is still open?
  #256    
Old April 13th, 2013, 12:54 AM
Cutlerine
Gone. May or may not return.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: The Misspelled Cyrpt
Age: 20
Gender:
Nature: Impish
> Wait a second is that Jasmine? Well that was honestly a suprise I was way off. Well against my better judgement, I say step forward so you can see her or whoever it is, but no one no circumstances do you scream or freak out no mater what she or they look like. Whoever they are ask how this happened to them.
> If met with further emo resistance, then curl up in a ball and start crying. Whine about how since you woke up in your room in New Bark Town, everything has tried to kill you. Ramble about all you wanted is to you know interact socially with someone, and -is that to much to ask ?- make a friend. But now you realized you're all alone, no one cares, etc (don't say "etc"). You could try to reflect upon your current situation to get the sobbing going.
If Vesta tries to intervene, it would be a good opportunity to get her out of your bag. You should then hug her jar and rant about she's your only friend in the world. If the jar burns you, don't be a wimp and hold onto it. You might look probably more miserable if burned. Bonus points if you manage to pass Vesta's speech off as ventriloquism.
If your interlocutor pity you enough, capitalize on that.
If it miserably fails, it would be socially appropriate to feel embarrassed.
In any case, it should be worth it.
> Ask the voice why it thinks its appearance is your problem and what it has to do with you getting the information you want. Also promise to leave it alone if that is what it really wants when you have the information you came for. It might also help to point out that you are the player character and if you fail it will just be harassed by other incarnations of you (don’t point out the fact that everyone else died before they made it to Olivine).
> Seeing as the being you are dealing with is probably Jasmine, be gentle. Before the Dreaming, Jasmine was quiet, sweet, and kind. Remind her that appearance has nothing to do with that and she doesnt need to be afraid of how you perceive her. Also, it appears her metal flesh is rotting and she needs severe medical attention. Perhaps offer to help in this situation by asking if the Cianwood pharmacy is still open?


You scoot forwards a little, but the hand reappears, palm outwards. A maggot drops out of it onto the floor with a hard dink.

“STOP,” says the stranger. “YOU SAW ENOUGH.”

“OK,” you reply, stopping. “How... how did that happen to you?”

The hand is withdrawn.

“I WAS EATEN,” answers the voice, full of self-pity. “STEELIX. HE SWALLOWED ME WHOLEBUT THEY CAN'T DIGEST FLESH, ONLY ROCK. I SHOULD HAVE DIED.”

There's a long pause – long enough for you to think that maybe you were meant to say something – but then they continue.

“WHEN HE... CHANGED, SOMETHING MUTATED IN HIS GUT. I WAS REMADE. SKIN AND FLESH BURNED AND SCARRED, AND...”

They trail off.

“Turned to metal,” you finish softly.

“YEAH. STUCK. CAN'T ROT. CAN'T DIE. AND IT HURTS...”

More sobbing. A moment ago, you would have classed this as emo self-pity, but now it seems to you like it's actually justified. At least if you get horribly injured, you'll die. There's no release for this poor creature.

“I'm sorry,” you say eventually. “I am.”

“NO POINT,” replies the stranger, sniffling. “I'M NOBODY TO FEEL SORRY FOR. I'M NOTHING. NOT ALIVE, NOT DEAD. NOTHING.”

“I can leave you alone, if you really want that,” you say softly. “And I will, once you tell me what I want to know, if you ask me to. But... otherwise, I'll stay a while. I don't care what you look like. I don't think you're nobody.”

A harsh, tear-stained bark of a laugh.

“AND WHAT GIVES YOU THAT IDEA?”

“Let me tell you why I came here,” you say. “I'm two and a half days old. I'm being hunted by a monster made of fire. I rode a dragon to get here. I travelled through a town where the sky is black and stares back when you stare at it, and a minor god told me that in Olivine was someone who could tell me about the monsters who live in the gigantic city at the bottom of the sea.”

You look at where you think the stranger's eyes are.

“I'm the player character,” you say. “I'm talking to you. That automatically makes you someone. But more than that, you're the only person in Johto who can tell me what I need to know. The fate of the world,” you add for good measure, “rests in your hands.”

If that doesn't engender a sense of self-worth, you have no idea what will.

There is silence for a while.

“DO YOU MEAN THAT?” asks the voice. It is cracked with hope.

“I do,” you answer. “I really do.”

“I... I'LL TELL YOU, THEN,” they say, and you can hear tears in their voice again – tears of relief, relief that the long, silent wait of the last few years is finally over. “ILL TELL YOU... EVERYTHING.”

Then they break down into tears, wracked by the violent sobs that come with the release of unbearable tension, and you have to sit and wait.

You don't mind. It sounds like they need it.

After a long time, they start to talk, unprompted.

“I TRAVELLED, ONCE,” they say. “I TRAVELLED AROUND THE WORLDTO SINNOH, EVEN AS FAR AS AMERICA.”

“America...” you breathe. It's a mythical land; they say it's a nation of gods, where even the children are Players. There are no Pokémon there – but such is the power that each man and woman wields in just their little fingers that there's no need for them, either.

“YES. AMERICA.” The stranger sighs. “IT'S MUCH AS THEY SAY... BUT THAT'S NOT THE POINT. I CAME TO A CITY NAMED ARKHAM, AND WHEN EXPLORING THE AREA I CAME TO A TOWN NAMED INNSMOUTH.”

Innsmouth. It sounds faintly familiar, you think, but why you can't for the life of you recall.

“INNSMOUTH IS... NOT A NICE PLACE,” the voice tells you. “THE PEOPLE THERE ARE STRANGE. NOT FULLY HUMAN, IN MANY CASES. THEIR BLOOD IS MIXED WITH THAT OF THE DEEP ONES.”

You know immediately who the Deep Ones are. They are the creatures that chant amid the buildings of the ancient city, the hideous amphibian monsters with the horrid gold ornaments and the bulging eyes. They are the nightmarish race that haunt your sea-drowned dreams, and their name sends a shiver down your spine.

“The Deep Ones? They're the ones in the dreams, aren't they?”

“YES.” The stranger is silent for a moment. “THEY WORSHIP THREE GODS, THE DEEP ONES. DAGON. HYDRA. And CTHULHU.”

Cthulhu fhtagn!

The words of the chant scream through your mind unbidden, and you start in shock, heart suddenly pounding with unknown fear.

“Cthulhu...”

“THEY CHANT HIS NAME IN THE DREAMS,” says the stranger. “CTHULHU, GREAT HIGH PRIEST OF THE OLD ONES.”

“Ph'nglui,” you say, without quite realising it, “mglw'nafh—”

“—CTHULHU R'LYEH WGAHNAGL FHTAGN,” finishes the stranger in their terrible voice. “YES. IT MEANS 'IN HIS HOUSE AT R'LYEH, DEAD CTHULHU LIES DREAMING'.”

“And why is that so important?” you ask. “Cthulhu, the Deep Ones – why are they in our dreams? What do they have to do with what happened?”

“I DON'T KNOW THAT,” answers the stranger. “I'M SORRY. I ONLY KNOW WHAT I FOUND OUT IN INNSMOUTH. AND ONE OTHER THING,” they say suddenly, as if just remembering.

“Which is...?”

“CIANWOOD. THEY CALLED FOR HELP SOON AFTER ALL THE POKÉMON CHANGED. THINGS HAD CRAWLED ASHORE, OUT OF THE SEA. THINGS WITH BULGING EYES AND NEEDLE TEETH, THAT WORE PALE GOLD ON THEIR WRISTS AND ANKLES.”

“The Deep Ones,” you breathe. “They took Cianwood?”

A grinding noise and a shift in the shadows that you presume is a shrug.

“I GUESS SO.” They pause. “THE RADIOS STAYED ON FOR A WHILE. I DIDN'T HEAR ANY MORE FROM CIANWOOD AFTER THAT.”

Somehow, it no longer seems appropriate to ask if the Cianwood Pharmacy is still open.

> after nogotiations, try and convince Jasmine(?) to joine the party a mechanized super-human is always useful to have around , after all.

“I guess,” you say, “that I'll be heading down to Cianwood, then.”

The stranger is silent.

“It'll be hard,” you persist.

Still no response.

“I could use a hand,” you state outright. “And you...” You shake your head. “Wouldn't you rather be outside, doing something?”

“I CAN'T DO ANYTHING,” they reply piteously. “IT HURTS. AND...” Two hands appear this time – the one you saw before, and another, this one mostly crystal bone with a few strands of steel tendon hanging from it. “LOOK AT ME. I CAN'T GO ANYWHERE.”

“Pretty much everything out there is uglier than you,” you tell them honestly. “And it's not like there are any people left anyway. I've met one other living person, and he was mad.”

“I THINK I MIGHT BE TOO,” admits the stranger fearfully. “I'M... I'M SCARED TO LEAVE. YYOU, YOU JUST... GO. I'LL WAIT HERE.”

“How long have you been here?” you ask. “It's been years since it all happened, you know. Years and years, alone in the dark...”

“I'M NOT GOING ANYWHERE. LOOK, I GAVE YOU YOUR INFORMATION, DIDN'T I? JUST LEAVE. I'M FINE HERE.”

You get to your feet.

“All right,” you say doubtfully. “If you're sure...”

You walk away, back towards the lift, and your hand is on the button when you hear a cry from behind you.

“Wait!”

You pause.

“Yeah?”

“YOU WILL COME BACK, WON'T YOU?” There's a note of panic in the voice now, and a surge of pity and affection for its poor, broken owner washes over you. “YOU WILL COME BACK, AFTER YOU'VE VISITED CIANWOOD?”

“Sure,” you say. “I'll be back. I promise.”

“ThANK YOU,” says the voice, trembling a little. “PLEASE COME BACK SAFELY...”

“I will,” you tell them. “On one condition.”

“NAME IT.”

“Tell me your name.”

There is another silence. There have been an awful lot of silences recently, you note.

“WHEN YOU COME BACK,” the stranger says eventually. “I'LL TELL YOU WHEN YOU COME BACK. THERE. NOW YOU HAVE TO RETURN.”

You can't help but smile.

“All right,” you say. “Stay here. I'll be back.”




Sorry that was a bit late. It took forever to format the stranger's dialogue to make it look like small caps.
__________________

For information about A Grand Day Out, a bizarre short story in video game form, click here.
  #257    
Old April 13th, 2013, 02:58 AM
Barrels's Avatar
Barrels
The Fresh Prince of Kanto
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Hanging from the edge of a cliff
Gender: Male
Nature: Lonely
> Take a moment to reflect on everything you know about the Whirl Islands. (Hey, if his astonishing level of expertise on eels is anything to go by, Othodox has hidden depths.) Maybe the gigantic city at the bottom of the sea is linked to the whirlpools... and could Lugia be mixed up in all this?
> On second thoughts, coming face-to-face with a highly intelligent, telepathic Legendary beastie who could apparently tear down cliffs by fluttering its wings even before everything went Eldritch... well, that might not be the best idea.
> Maybe there's room in the Lighthouse for two terrified humans to co-exist apathetically?
__________________

Ramona Flowers
  #258    
Old April 13th, 2013, 10:29 AM
Lopnis's Avatar
Lopnis
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Gender: Male
Before you leave ask if she knows if any boats survived, if not we might have to take our chance and try and catch one of the Eldritch Krabbys and turn it into a personal ferry. Also if she'd be willing ask if she has a Pokegear, I mean I think we should give Falkner an update that 1. You've found information about the cause of all this and 2. THat you found another person who's sort of alive.
  #259    
Old April 13th, 2013, 10:50 AM
c1234321's Avatar
c1234321
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Gender: Male
Ask about the state and/or existence of any boats in the harbor. Then, proceed out of the Lighthouse. Be careful though, there are Eldritch Krabby and Kingler out there, not to mention and Eldritch Cyndaquil/Quilava that's most likely actually an Eldritch Typhlolsion looking for you. Either way, you need a more effective way to either defend yourself or capture the Eldritch Pokemon. The Krabby may prove your only way to cross the ocean.
  #260    
Old April 13th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Knightfall's Avatar
Knightfall
Unforeseen Consequences
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Sawgrass Town
Gender: Male
Nature: Modest
At the risk of garnering a bit of unwanted memories, ask this person --who I assume is Jasmine-- about her Ampharos. On a side note to the Narrator, I'd like to say that I am loving the story so far. I have never been one to enjoy these sorts of stories, but this one has captivated me in a way similar to how a Barnacle catches unwitting Combine soldiers from its perch on a ceiling.

Knightfall signing off...
__________________
  #261    
Old April 14th, 2013, 12:32 AM
Cutlerine
Gone. May or may not return.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: The Misspelled Cyrpt
Age: 20
Gender:
Nature: Impish
> Before you leave ask if she knows if any boats survived, if not we might have to take our chance and try and catch one of the Eldritch Krabbys and turn it into a personal ferry. Also if she'd be willing ask if she has a Pokegear, I mean I think we should give Falkner an update that 1. You've found information about the cause of all this and 2. THat you found another person who's sort of alive.

You already have a Pokégear, so you don't ask about that. You do, however, turn and ask about boats.

“There aren't any boats, are there?” you ask hopefully.

“NO,” replies the stranger. “YOU SAW THE DOCK.”

“Thought so,” you sigh. “It seemed worth asking, though.”

> At the risk of garnering a bit of unwanted memories, ask this person --who I assume is Jasmine-- about her Ampharos. On a side note to the Narrator, I'd like to say that I am loving the story so far. I have never been one to enjoy these sorts of stories, but this one has captivated me in a way similar to how a Barnacle catches unwitting Combine soldiers from its perch on a ceiling.

“Oh, and one more thing,” you say. “What happened to the Ampharos here?”

“I KILLED HIM,” replies the stranger. “HE WOULDN'T LEAVE, AND HE KEPT TRYING TO – TO EAT ME...”

Great. Now they're crying again. And you'd just built this up to a nice, neat little ending as well.

And you just bet that the bit about Barnacles will have given the Narrator a horrible idea to put something nasty above your head. You're going to be obsessively checking every ceiling you pass under for days after that thought.

In time, as ever, the stranger recovers, and once you've made sure they're OK it's time to leave. You don't want to outstay your welcome, if this person is capable of killing a fully-evolved Eldritch Pokémon.

> Take a moment to reflect on everything you know about the Whirl Islands. (Hey, if his astonishing level of expertise on eels is anything to go by, Othodox has hidden depths.) Maybe the gigantic city at the bottom of the sea is linked to the whirlpools... and could Lugia be mixed up in all this?
> On second thoughts, coming face-to-face with a highly intelligent, telepathic Legendary beastie who could apparently tear down cliffs by fluttering its wings even before everything went Eldritch... well, that might not be the best idea.
> Maybe there's room in the Lighthouse for two terrified humans to co-exist apathetically?


Ah, a descending elevator. The perfect environment for a little light musing. What to ponder, though?

Well, the Whirl Islands seem like a good place to start. They lie between you and your destination, and given that the caves beneath extend right down to the seabed and possibly below, they're about as close as you can get to the Deep One's natural environment.

However, the idea of an Eldrich Lugia is pants-wettingly terrifying, so you elect to abandon that line of thought immediately.

Hmm. How about eels? You have displayed some unusual knowledge of them, that's for sure, but no more than you'd get from reading the Swedish Sea and Water Authority webpage on them. You also know rather a lot about crabs, if your response to the Krabby or Kingler or whatever it was is anything to go by.

Perhaps as the player character certain knowledge comes hard-wired into your system? In a world where most evil seems to have crawled out of the sea, it might make sense to know this sort of thing.

> Ask about the state and/or existence of any boats in the harbor. Then, proceed out of the Lighthouse. Be careful though, there are Eldritch Krabby and Kingler out there, not to mention and Eldritch Cyndaquil/Quilava that's most likely actually an Eldritch Typhlolsion looking for you. Either way, you need a more effective way to either defend yourself or capture the Eldritch Pokemon. The Krabby may prove your only way to cross the ocean.

The crab in the lobby is dead.

You don't know how dead – the Eldritch Heracross still weighs heavily on your mind – but it's lying crumpled in one corner of the room, its blue blood congealing on its curled limbs. Even for an Eldritch Pokémon, that kind of wound's not going to heal easily – you think. Jawson has regrown a severed head multiple times, you realise.

Jawson. That reminds you: you were going to report back to Falkner. You step into the lift and close the doors for a moment, then call him.

---

A long, long way away, in the middle of dinner, there is a ringing noise from the mounds of loot; Falkner pushes past Clair, muttering angrily about cold callers interrupting everything, and roots through the heaps of supplies until he finds the object making the noise: a small, flat object with an oversized hinge. With a small noise of annoyance, he stomps it into oblivion and returns to the large rock that serves as his table.

“Sorry about that,” he says to Clair, scratching that same area on the side of his head, nails drawing blood. “Now, where were we...?”


---

Hm. That's strange. No reply – and now the line's dead.

Well, you guess he did say he didn't want to see you again. Presumably he doesn't want to take your calls, either.

Shrugging, you walk out through the lobby, keeping one eye on the dead crab; at the door, you shift your items around to the familiar loadout: Vesta in the left hand, Hideously Dangerous Stabby Thing in the right.

hello you, says Vesta as you take her out of your Bag. She seems to be in a good mood, although you can't for the life of you see why. You're about to cross the sea, which you'd think would be a fire's least favourite place to be.

“My name is Othodox,” you tell her, realising that you haven't told her this yet. “Like you're Vesta. I'm Othodox.”

othodox... Vesta mulls it over for a moment as you open the door; she might conceivably have added more, but both of you are somewhat bowled over by the sight that greets you outside.

Fire.

Smoke.

Teeth.

Oh, crap.

Waiting at the point where the path turns down the hill is something half as long again as you are tall: a narrow band of blackened bones and brindled fur terminating in a huge, skinless head armed with the chisel-like teeth of a colossal rat.

Bloody eye-pits turn to you. The great teeth clack.

big vesta? asks Vesta hesitantly.

“Uh... no,” you say, staring at the Eldritch Quilava. “No, Vesta, not quite.”
__________________

For information about A Grand Day Out, a bizarre short story in video game form, click here.
  #262    
Old April 14th, 2013, 07:18 AM
Lopnis's Avatar
Lopnis
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Gender: Male
First thought for the narrator 'Are you kidding me?!' Now that I got that out of my system back to the matter at hand,You may be too weak to fight this guy, Since your at the light house you're kind of cornered if your world geography is similar to game geography, First things first see if Vesta can communicate with the flames maybe get them to eat this thing. If that doesn't work see if there's even a slight chance of you and Vesta could survive jumping into the water.Right now pull out the poison stabby thing you made, If it comes down to it and he get's on top of you again or close enough you can hit him with it stab the crap out of his throat than kick him into the ocean. Good look man, we all knew this was coming I just thought we'd have a bit more time. If none of that works ask Tabiti for help you've done a lot to prove your devotion I think she could pull you from the flames once.
  #263    
Old April 14th, 2013, 08:55 AM
c1234321's Avatar
c1234321
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Gender: Male
Pray to Tabiti that you come out of this alive. Right now, have your Hideously Dangerous Stabby Thing out and hopefully some MooMoo Milk on hand. You'll probably need it. See if there is any way it might chase you into the water or find some other way to try to put the flames on the Eldritch monster in front of you out. Pray that Tabiti understands why you must harm the fire.
  #264    
Old April 14th, 2013, 10:12 PM
destinedjagold's Avatar
destinedjagold
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philippines
Gender: Male
Nature: Careful
Uh...can the MooMoo Milk restore that Quilava back to normal?
If not, then maybe Vesta can talk to it. Vesta did came from that thing, right?
__________________
  #265    
Old April 16th, 2013, 07:26 AM
Clockwork Orange's Avatar
Clockwork Orange
The King of Nowhere
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Wales
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Clockwork Orange
Run back to the elevator and ride it back to, who I assume is, Jasmine. (If that doesn't work then try the stairs, though I doubt that'll work out too well. So may Tabiti have mercy on your soul if it comes to that, kid.) Curse her name for not warning you about the monster destroying the town (She can hear a pin drop from 6 feet above her, but not a town being set on fire?) Finally, apologise profusely for what you just said and beg for her help, noting the fact that the lighthouse is probably now on fire.
  #266    
Old April 16th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Cutlerine
Gone. May or may not return.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: The Misspelled Cyrpt
Age: 20
Gender:
Nature: Impish
> Run back to the elevator and ride it back to, who I assume is, Jasmine. (If that doesn't work then try the stairs, though I doubt that'll work out too well. So may Tabiti have mercy on your soul if it comes to that, kid.) Curse her name for not warning you about the monster destroying the town (She can hear a pin drop from 6 feet above her, but not a town being set on fire?) Finally, apologise profusely for what you just said and beg for her help, noting the fact that the lighthouse is probably now on fire.

The monster is outside. The person who you know has personally killed a monster is inside. Deciding where you'd rather be isn't exactly tough.

You turn on your heel and take a step back towards the door. Unfortunately, a very large, very angry, and very alive one-clawed crab rears up in your path.

It clicks its mouthparts defiantly.

Oh, for God's sake. How exactly does the Narrator expect you to deal with this?

> Uh...can the MooMoo Milk restore that Quilava back to normal? If not, then maybe Vesta can talk to it. Vesta did came from that thing, right?

It might, it might not. You don't have much of it to waste, and even if you did, you're not sure you'd want to run the monumental risk of being eaten that comes with trying to feed a twelve-foot-long flaming death weasel.

Hey, isn't 'Flaming Death Weasel' a metal band? If not, you think in a rare moment of clarity in the midst of the adrenaline, it should be.

> Pray to Tabiti that you come out of this alive. Right now, have your Hideously Dangerous Stabby Thing out and hopefully some MooMoo Milk on hand. You'll probably need it. See if there is any way it might chase you into the water or find some other way to try to put the flames on the Eldritch monster in front of you out. Pray that Tabiti understands why you must harm the fire.
> First thought for the narrator 'Are you kidding me?!' Now that I got that out of my system back to the matter at hand,You may be too weak to fight this guy, Since your at the light house you're kind of cornered if your world geography is similar to game geography, First things first see if Vesta can communicate with the flames maybe get them to eat this thing. If that doesn't work see if there's even a slight chance of you and Vesta could survive jumping into the water.Right now pull out the poison stabby thing you made, If it comes down to it and he get's on top of you again or close enough you can hit him with it stab the crap out of his throat than kick him into the ocean. Good look man, we all knew this was coming I just thought we'd have a bit more time. If none of that works ask Tabiti for help you've done a lot to prove your devotion I think she could pull you from the flames once.


You turn away from the crab to see the Quilava stalking towards you, back rolling like a hunting stoat.

Screw this. You are out of here.

Uttering a brief prayer to Tabiti, you sprint straight past the Quilava and fling yourself off the edge of the cliff.

You have a full four seconds to regret this course of action before you hit the water – Long enough to realise that in the normal course of things, you couldn't possibly survive the fall.

You are very lucky that the Dreaming's been messing about with core mechanics.

The water fountains up around you in roaring plumes of foam; the shock tears through your feet and up through your legs with what feels like enough force to pulverise your pelvis – but you're not hurt, and you're thrusting the Hideously Dangerous Stabby Thing into your Bag and already striking out one-handed, clutching Vesta close with the other and hoping to God that the lid of her jar is watertight—

PLOOSH!

A wave rises up from behind and swamps you, dragging you under in an instant; gulping and flailing, half-drowned and wide-eyed despite the sting, you see for a moment the great crab, legs and blood trailing behind it as it sinks motionless into the deep—

—and then you break the surface again, spluttering and retching, and Vesta is screaming and the water glows green with the reflection of flames and you keep on swimming, swimming in any way that seems like it might take you away from the hell on the clifftop—

sssSHWA!

A green missile impacts on the waves just behind you, spreading out into a disc of hungry, clutching flames; they crawl over the water as if on slimy legs, crackling and cackling, and then dissipate with wails and shrieks as the next wave drops down and smothers them into oblivion.

sssSHWA!

Another, and as sparks lodge in your hair you duck under the water, their screams ringing in your ears as the sea devours them; it's strong, you think in a confused babble, it's strong and old and everything comes from the sea, eventually, it's where the old magic is strongest and no one can hold back its power...

sssSHWA! sssSHWA! sssSHWA!

The sea boils and the waves almost seem to howl back at the flames, and in the middle of the tempest, in the middle of the rain of fire and the seething waters you keep on swimming, grimly heading on to the west, to the shadow of the old dock, to where one of the concrete supports has broken down and might afford a perch for one slim Trainer and his small fire...

sssSHWA!

The flames hit a breaking wave and, impossibly, ricochet; a spray of emerald fire streaks up the cliff face and arcs down again to die a beautiful death in the sea. You risk a glance back and see the Quilava, staring down over the edge of the cliff, eye-pits bleeding with fury and... fear?

You stare back for a moment, and see it come right up to the edge, firing off another bolt of green fire as it does so – but it backs away, shaking its head and snuffling in agitation.

The Eldritch Quilava is actually afraid of something.

Your fingers hit hard concrete, and exultantly you haul yourself up onto the support beneath the dock, heart hammering, gasping for breath, and feeling more alive than you have in ages.

The Eldritch Quilava has a weakness.

You check Vesta, and are relieved to see she's fine; the rubber seal that once made the jar airtight has doubled as handy waterproofing. Your hands are, oddly, completely dry; the Adamantine Spider Silk appears to resist water like nothing else you've ever seen.

The Eldritch Quilava, scourge of Johto, your personal avenging demon, has a weakness.

You disgorge the last of the water with three huge, retching coughs, and almost immediately begin to laugh: you've done it. You're OK, and the Quilava... You look across at the mainland, and just beneath the edge of the dock above you can see it pacing back and forth in front of the lighthouse, fretting and fuming and flaming, and whining like a kicked dog.

You grin, feeling the water trickle down your cheeks. You're alive. You took a chance and you beat the damn demons and you're goddamnit you're alive.

You sit back against the remnants of the wooden pillar behind you, and close your eyes.

Right, you say to yourself, feeling your heart slowly slackening its pace inside you. Right. What now?
__________________

For information about A Grand Day Out, a bizarre short story in video game form, click here.
  #267    
Old April 16th, 2013, 11:14 AM
sepser
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Gender: Male
Set a trap that will somehow push the Quilava into the ocean. What? What are you looking at me for? I don’t know how, I’m telling you what to do, not how to do it. If the Quilava gets back up, I suggest you drop it into the pit just outside of town.

Last edited by sepser; April 16th, 2013 at 11:14 AM. Reason: typo
  #268    
Old April 16th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Lopnis's Avatar
Lopnis
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Gender: Male
Check Vesta talk to her see how she's doing than do a bag check what do we have? Than see if there's a way to climb up onto the docks. Luckily it's still just a Quilava, I can't imagine what a Typhlosion would do. Right now let's focus on keeping you alive though a trap for that thing may work maybe you could trick it onto the dock and collapse it. (With you off the dock of course)

One more thing, a weird thought occurred to me, whenever a pc is spawned into this world a Lyra or Ethan Spawned with them, they're a static entity as they are spawn based on the player. Thus unlike the rest of the town wouldn't they have spawned with Othodox, with an already caught Eldritch Marill who's loyal to them? If that is true than I submit that if they traveled on the same or quicker Pace with a pokemon backing them up shouldn't said Lyra arrive in Olivine about the same time or a bit later than Othodox did? So around this time

Last edited by Lopnis; April 17th, 2013 at 09:09 PM.
  #269    
Old April 16th, 2013, 03:07 PM
StinkomanFan's Avatar
StinkomanFan
Intern of the Pokemon world
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Gender: Male
Nature: Quirky
Comfort Vesta, make sure she is not scarred for life.
__________________
Please join my RP, Five Trainers on a Search for an Exit
Please also see my interactive story, "The Undertaker"
  #270    
Old April 16th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Knightfall's Avatar
Knightfall
Unforeseen Consequences
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Sawgrass Town
Gender: Male
Nature: Modest
As the player gods said above me, checking Vesta is a must. Her safety, in some instances, has been proven to be more vital than your own. Also, do an Egg Check. Just to be sure that it's hatching time has not yet crept up on us.

My thoughts on a inventory check are also equivalent. Let's hope we have something useful. Hmm... perhaps the Portable Spratchery could be of some sort of use?

Knightfall signing off...
__________________
  #271    
Old April 16th, 2013, 04:59 PM
c1234321's Avatar
c1234321
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Gender: Male
Check on Vesta and assure her that she will not be harmed by the water and that she's safe. For now, at least. Also, I agree with the inventory check. After we see what we're working with, we can go from there.
  #272    
Old April 16th, 2013, 05:09 PM
Clockwork Orange's Avatar
Clockwork Orange
The King of Nowhere
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Wales
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Clockwork Orange
Since you seem to be safe for a while, look around and see if you can find some materials to make a raft or some-such. Cinnawood isn't going to just sail towards you. Alternatively: Build up your core with a brutal exercise routine/training montage and swim there like REAL MEN DO!
  #273    
Old April 18th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Cutlerine
Gone. May or may not return.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: The Misspelled Cyrpt
Age: 20
Gender:
Nature: Impish
>Set a trap that will somehow push the Quilava into the ocean. What? What are you looking at me for? I don’t know how, I’m telling you what to do, not how to do it. If the Quilava gets back up, I suggest you drop it into the pit just outside of town.

This is a wonderful plan. You lose yourself for a few minutes in pleasant thoughts of drowned flaming death weasels, and then entombed ones. That second one isn't so encouraging, though, as you're pretty sure Quilava can learn Dig, and as an Eldritch Pokémon it's highly unlikely to quibble about whether or not it has the TM. After all, those fireballs it was shooting at you were a very, very loose interpretation of Ember by anyone's standards.

>Comfort Vesta, make sure she is not scarred for life.

“Hey, Vesta,” you say, holding up her jar. The spray crashes about your feet; you have to shout to be heard above it. “How're you holding up?”

She appears to be whistling the theme tune to Futurama. This raises a huge number of questions, none of which the Narrator has any desire to delve into now.

what?

“How are you holding up?” you repeat, more loudly.

holding up? vesta not up...

“It's an idiom,” you explain with a sigh. “It means 'are you OK'?”

vesta fine, she replies, nonplussed. something wrong?

“Well, we're in the middle of the sea,” you say. “Depends how much you like fish, I guess.”

fish? sea?

Ah. That's why she isn't concerned – she has no idea what the sea is. Or, apparently, what fish are.

“Oh,” you say. “Fish are like... like those eels, but shorter. Normally. Sometimes they're bigger, actually. You can eat them. Although some of them also eat you.”

fish confusing, concludes Vesta. sea?

“Uh...” You elect not to tell Vesta that the sea is composed of several billion tonnes of anti-fire. “It's this thing we're sitting above,” you said. “This big damp thing.”

oh.

Vesta falls silent, presumably mulling this new information over – fish are an especially tricky concept for her, given the way you've explained them, and it'll probably take her a while.

Seriously, don't give up the day job. The teacher's life is not for you.

>Check Vesta talk to her see how she's doing than do a bag check what do we have? Than see if there's a way to climb up onto the docks. Luckily it's still just a Quilava, I can't imagine what a Typhlosion would do. Right now let's focus on keeping you alive though a trap for that thing may work maybe you could trick it onto the dock and collapse it. (With you off the dock of course)
One more thing, a weird thought occurred to me, whenever a pc is spawned into this world a Lyra or Ethan Spawned with them, they're a static entity as they are spawn based on the player. Thus unlike the rest of the town wouldn't they have spawned with Othodox, with an already caught Eldritch Marill who's loyal to them? If that is true than I submit that if they traveled on the same or quicker Pace with a pokemon backing them up shouldn't said Lyra arrive in Olivine about the same time or a bit later than Othodox did? So around this time
>As the player gods said above me, checking Vesta is a must. Her safety, in some instances, has been proven to be more vital than your own. Also, do an Egg Check. Just to be sure that it's hatching time has not yet crept up on us.
>My thoughts on a inventory check are also equivalent. Let's hope we have something useful. Hmm... perhaps the Portable Spratchery could be of some sort of use?
>Check on Vesta and assure her that she will not be harmed by the water and that she's safe. For now, at least. Also, I agree with the inventory check. After we see what we're working with, we can go from there.


Lyra. The mysterious person who somehow sent you a bloodstained email.

Who also happens to have a number registered in your Pokégear.

Well, who could resist?

It rings – and someone picks up.

“Hello?” you say.

“A smell of petroleum prevails throughout,” says a strange, indistinct voice, and the line goes dead.

“Hello? Hello?”

Nothing. You call again, but there's no answer.

Hm. Now that was pretty weird. It might even have been a clue.

Inventory:

Adamantine Spider Silk x7
Badly Cracked Dangerous Makeshift Knife x1
Beauteous Ring x1
Berry x1
Bloodstained Mail x1
Bovine Horn x1
Boxed Wine x1
Bulging Wallet x1
Decayed Potion x1
Delicious Meat Bits x2
Elm's Key x1
Flowery Wreath x1
Glass Shards x5
Green Apricorn x1
Half a Cup of Cold Coffee x1
Hideously Dangerous Stabby Thing x1
Hyper Potion x2
Jar of Sentient Fire x1
Large European Eel x4
Lava Cookie x7
Lithium Batteries x4
Loaded Portable Spratchery (Two Shots) x1
Machine for Predicting the Number of Pips in an Unopened Orange x1
Machine Pistol Magazine x6
Miracle Seed x1
MooMoo Milk x2
My First Tri-Beam Laser GunTM x1
Mysterious Note x1
Novelty Giraffe Shoe x1
Paper-Wrapped Eel Half x1
Poké Ball x1
Potion x2
Powerless Tablet Computer x1
Rare Bone x1
Revive x1
Rocks x12
Sealed Box of Dustox Powder x1
Shiny Stone x1
Splintery Planks x5
Stale Baguette x1
Super Potion x5
TM23 Iron Tail x7
Togepi Egg Shard x3
Weird Shrivelled Thing x1
Wrecked Stylish Dress x1

While you're doing this, you check the Bad Egg. Holding it up, you see the s3a behind it wiggling and twisting like w0rms.

The Egg Watch: It appears to move occasionally. It may be close to hatching.

Hey, that's an improvement! Not much of one, admittedly, but it's still an improvement.

One of the voices appears to be urging you to go up onto the dock, but you'd rather wait until there's some sort of consensus among the voices. After all, the rest are urging caution, and caution definitely seems to have yielded good results so far during this adventure.

> Since you seem to be safe for a while, look around and see if you can find some materials to make a raft or some-such. Cinnawood isn't going to just sail towards you. Alternatively: Build up your core with a brutal exercise routine/training montage and swim there like REAL MEN DO!

You have a sudden and disturbing vision of yourself running through the snow and splashing through semi-frozen lakes while a disturbingly muscular Eldritch Quilava works out in some kind of mad scientist's lair to a backdrop of blinking lights and dry ice.

Thankfully, that fades, but you're pretty sure that the ten square inches you've got to work with here aren't enough space for either of those approaches.

As for building materials, there's a huge wooden dock above you, but you're leaning against one of only three or four things holding it up. You don't dare remove any parts of it to try and build into a raft. Or even a 'some-such'.

Sorry about the delays recently. It's the last week of a major art project, the one on which my overall grade for this year rests, and I really haven't had much time to write. However, with me now being only half a form away from being totally finished, I'm back in full swing again!
__________________

For information about A Grand Day Out, a bizarre short story in video game form, click here.
  #274    
Old April 18th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Lopnis's Avatar
Lopnis
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Gender: Male
Okay looked up the words ( /Title) It is the apparent secret of the universe multiple people have written down under the influence of hallucinogenics. So either it could be a red herring, maybe your whole word is a drag addled hallucination and your slowly learning the secret of the universe or it's a broader hint than I thought and I need to give it more thought .

Anyway try using the Spatchery at the Quilava see what it does to it. If it does something bad do it again, and if it does something good use it on yourself and vesta

Last edited by Lopnis; April 18th, 2013 at 07:09 PM.
  #275    
Old April 18th, 2013, 05:39 PM
c1234321's Avatar
c1234321
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Gender: Male
I honestly do not know what you should do. I would suggest making a raft but the thought of an entire ocean of Eldritch sea Pokemon terrifies me, not even to mention the city at the bottom. Freaking R'lyeh and Cthulu and all that. It's scary. And why would the Dreaming even affect Pokemon? I say take the time you have right now in relative safety to sit and think. Why do you have such a bizarre repertoire of information? Isnt it a little convenient you know so much about fish and the ocean and stuff and the creepy things that screwed up the Pokemon world are ocean-based? Take some time to ponder your situation.
 
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 09:31 AM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.