Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Fanfiction Archive
Reload this Page [Pokémon] A Smell of Petroleum Pervades Throughout

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Fanfiction Archive Finished works are archived here for easy reading.



 
 
Thread Tools
  #326    
Old May 7th, 2013 (12:08 AM).
destinedjagold's Avatar
destinedjagold destinedjagold is offline
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Silver Tier
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philippines
Gender: Male
Nature: Careful
Posts: 7,285
Hm... Maybe let Vesta choose which way you guys will take?
__________________


FC: 0061-1111-6462
TSV: 1364(X), 0790(OR)

  #327    
Old May 7th, 2013 (04:26 AM).
sepser sepser is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 20
I disagree. Take the right hand path. The goat on top of the mountain made of blackboards is telling me that is the way.
  #328    
Old May 8th, 2013 (11:22 AM).
Cutlerine Cutlerine is offline
Gone. May or may not return.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: The Misspelled Cyrpt
Age: 21
Gender:
Nature: Impish
Posts: 1,030
> Let's go up the left hand path, unless the upward path it's impossible to lay the seaweed path than lets go down the right path also look around for a stick to make a torch. I know it's redundant with the gun and Vesta but hey torches have always served us well in the past.
> I disagree. Take the right hand path. The goat on top of the mountain made of blackboards is telling me that is the way.
> Hm... Maybe let Vesta choose which way you guys will take?


Decisions are hard, so you decide to ask Vesta instead. It's about time she got included in your plans.

“Which way do you think we should go?” you ask.

I don't know, she admits. Where are we trying to get to?

“I don't know,” you reply.

Then it doesn't seem to matter, Vesta concludes. Except for that noise.

“Yeah. That noise is kind of bothering me, I have to admit. It sounds... big. And dangerous.”

But nothing is going to hurt us, right? asks Vesta anxiously, and you realise that despite her enlarged intellect and vocabulary, she's still the same creature as before; she has seen you deal with every threat that's come at you, or appear to deal with it anyway – to her, you are unstoppable, a hero of boundless might and grandeur.

You feel like you should tell her that's not true, but you can't quite bring yourself to do it. Vesta is, alone of everything in this world, peculiarly innocent; she trusts you implicitly to fix everything, as a child does her parents, and it would break your heart to destroy that.

“No,” you say. “Nothing's going to hurt us, Vesta. Don't worry.”

You smile, and Vesta crackles happily.

Your heart hurts a little.

Anyway, you have to make a decision now; there's no time for sentimentality. Which way to go, left or right? Perhaps to prove Vesta right, or perhaps because of a vague idea of the watchful goat that sees all from its mountain of blackboards, you go right, and work your way slowly down the tunnel. You keep an ear out for the noise, and an eye out for sticks; you find neither, however – the former because its source is now presumably still, and the latter because you're currently very deep underground in a sea cave, which is pretty much the last place on the planet that you're going to find a stick.

The seaweed is getting thicker the deeper you go; you can now hear the sea again, as well – water is flowing strongly somewhere beneath you. In places, the weed is strewn so thickly that you don't even have to gather any, and can instead devote your attention wholly to not falling over – no mean feat when you're travelling over sharp rocks and slippery algae, although going barefoot does help.

Soon enough you come to another cavern, as large and labyrinthine at the first – but at the other end of this one you see a vast opening, leading down a tunnel too big and dark to take in with just one look; it's half flooded with water, and as you stand and stare with Vesta you can just about make out the faintest indication of something white in its inky depths.

What is that? asked Vesta.

“I don't know,” you reply cautiously, but even as you say it you realise it's a lie: you know exactly what it is. You have just worked out where you are.

You are inside the Whirl Islands, and that means that the shadow at the end of the tunnel can only be one thing – but you don't say it; you don't even think it. It just doesn't bear thinking about; consider the matter at all, even for a second, and you know you will regret it.

There is a Gigantic Tunnel here.

There are several heaps of scree here.
__________________

For information about A Grand Day Out, a bizarre short story in video game form, click here.
  #329    
Old May 8th, 2013 (01:12 PM).
sepser sepser is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 20
Make whatever preparations you think are necessary, both physically and mentally, and go on. When you have come this far you might as well continue. The only thing you have to do is try to explain what exactly it is you might end up facing to Vesta and offer to go in alone.
  #330    
Old May 8th, 2013 (07:43 PM). Edited May 8th, 2013 by destinedjagold.
destinedjagold's Avatar
destinedjagold destinedjagold is offline
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Silver Tier
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philippines
Gender: Male
Nature: Careful
Posts: 7,285
hope it's not an eldritch. =/
legendaries are too powerful to be turned into monsters...right? o,o
__________________


FC: 0061-1111-6462
TSV: 1364(X), 0790(OR)

  #331    
Old May 8th, 2013 (08:29 PM).
Lopnis's Avatar
Lopnis Lopnis is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 304
We're either walking into a Eldritch Dewgong's lair or far more likely the Eldritch Lugia if the dream says anything. I think we should turn back and take the other path let's face it you barely can survive an evolved Eldritch do you really think you can handle a legendary?
  #332    
Old May 9th, 2013 (02:36 AM).
sepser sepser is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 20
Quote originally posted by Lopnis:
We're either walking into a Eldritch Dewgong's lair or far more likely the Eldritch Lugia if the dream says anything. I think we should turn back and take the other path let's face it you barely can survive an evolved Eldritch do you really think you can handle a legendary?
It might not be an Eldritch Lugia. Remember how Celebis shrine repelled the eldritch pokemon? The legendaries might be the only normal pokemon left in the world. If Lugia were to become his ally it would greatly boost our chances.
  #333    
Old May 9th, 2013 (08:19 PM).
Ragnia's Avatar
Ragnia Ragnia is offline
Hello
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: ...What?
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Posts: 96
Just keep going, just keep going, just keep going all day long. Sure the prospect of an Eldritch Lugia is severely frightening, but the probability of it actually coming into play now is slim to none (though now that I said that, the chances are probably higher). There's also the chance that Lugia, and all of the other legendaries, were unaffected by whatever madness caused the eldritch mutation in the Pokemon. Though maybe not.


On a side note, I feel like if there was an Eldritch Lugia, it'd look like this


Just for the record, that is supposed to be a Lugia.
  #334    
Old May 10th, 2013 (12:08 AM).
Dimebag's Avatar
Dimebag Dimebag is offline
333
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sky Valley
Gender: Male
Nature: Gentle
Posts: 587
Eldritch.....Lugia ?! Keep going we got a mystery to solve !
  #335    
Old May 10th, 2013 (01:18 AM).
Kitt Kitt is offline
 
Join Date: May 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 5
Before you challenge a potentially Eldritch legendary, it's probably better to go find your Horribly Dangerous Stabby Thing too, so you can keep fighting it if you run out of Flash Cannon PP/Ammo.
It might not be such a good idea to fight it at all, though.
  #336    
Old May 11th, 2013 (11:30 AM).
Cutlerine Cutlerine is offline
Gone. May or may not return.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: The Misspelled Cyrpt
Age: 21
Gender:
Nature: Impish
Posts: 1,030
> hope it's not an eldritch. =/
legendaries are too powerful to be turned into monsters...right? o,o
> It might not be an Eldritch Lugia. Remember how Celebis shrine repelled the eldritch pokemon? The legendaries might be the only normal pokemon left in the world. If Lugia were to become his ally it would greatly boost our chances.


Well, there is a chance that that's the case, but you think it might be more due to Celebi being in the wrong time at the moment, and the shrine itself acting as a conduit for its purifying power. But hey! Hope springs eternal, right?

> We're either walking into a Eldritch Dewgong's lair or far more likely the Eldritch Lugia if the dream says anything. I think we should turn back and take the other path let's face it you barely can survive an evolved Eldritch do you really think you can handle a legendary?
> Make whatever preparations you think are necessary, both physically and mentally, and go on. When you have come this far you might as well continue. The only thing you have to do is try to explain what exactly it is you might end up facing to Vesta and offer to go in alone.
> Just keep going, just keep going, just keep going all day long. Sure the prospect of an Eldritch Lugia is severely frightening, but the probability of it actually coming into play now is slim to none (though now that I said that, the chances are probably higher). There's also the chance that Lugia, and all of the other legendaries, were unaffected by whatever madness caused the eldritch mutation in the Pokemon. Though maybe not.
> Eldritch.....Lugia ?! Keep going we got a mystery to solve!
> Before you challenge a potentially Eldritch legendary, it's probably better to go find your Horribly Dangerous Stabby Thing too, so you can keep fighting it if you run out of Flash Cannon PP/Ammo.
It might not be such a good idea to fight it at all, though.


(Four to one: Othodox will continue.)

Yeah, it might not.

But you're going anyway.

You have a little look around, but no Hideously Dangerous Stabby Thing is in sight. You realise that you probably stood a better chance of finding your stuff back up on the higher levels, and, leaving Vesta to burn on a large pile of seaweed, retrace your steps to do some searching.

Othodox found one Hideously Dangerous Stabby Thing! Othodox put the Hideously Dangerous Stabby Thing in the Pouch.

Othodox found one Weird Shrivelled Thing! Othodox put the Weird Shrivelled Thing in the Pouch.

Othodox found one Loaded Portable Spratchery (Two Shots)! Othodox put the Loaded Portable Spratchery (Two Shots) in the Pouch.

Othodox found some MooMoo Milks! Othodox put the MooMoo Milks in the Pouch.

Othodox found some Rocks! Othodox put the Rocks in the Pouch.


Well, actually, the Rocks might not be the exact same ones you lost. But they're about the same size, so you guess it doesn't matter that much.

You return to find someone throwing rocks at Vesta.

“Get out!” he hisses. His coat is long and tattered, and he has a wild, bristly brown beard that seems to have been struck by lightning and consequently split down the middle; in short, he looks like he's been down here a bit too long. “Get out of here! You'll bring it all down on us!”

Othodox! cries Vesta anxiously. A strange person!

“Hey!” you say, approaching, Handgun at the ready. “Hey, you!”

The man whirls and stares at you with something between panic and relief; it looks like his face is fighting itself.

“You!” he gasps, falling to his knees. “You! Human! At last! Human! Someone!”

He descends into a coughing fit, and you look over his head at Vesta. She twitches in a way that might be construed as a shrug.

“Uh... are you OK?” you ask, unprepared for this.

“Fine!” wheezes the man, climbing to his feet and patting himself wildly on the chest. “Just – eagh hagh hagh – fine! Oh, God!” He coughs violently for a few seconds more, then walks over and claps a hand on your arm. “Another human,” he says with feeling. “Oh God! At last...”

He wipes the sweat from his forehead, and suddenly you realise that you know that forehead – that large, balding forehead, with hair at the top and glasses at the bottom. OK, so the beard's new, but you'd expect that after God knows how many years without a razor – and yet...

“Hang on,” you say. “That's... no way. That's just too unlikely.”

What?

“Yes, what?” asks the man.

“Professor Elm,” you say incredulously. “You're Professor Elm.”

“Yes,” he replies, as if this were the most normal thing in the world. “Do I know you?”

“N-no,” you manage. “No, you don't – at least, I don't think so...”

Dear God. Just when you thought you at least had a straightforward confrontation with Mighty Forces coming, another crazy guy pops up out of nowhere. It's doubtless part of the Narrator's grand plan, but given that the Narrator's grand plan seems to be about as sane as Falkner, you're not too inclined to trust it.
__________________

For information about A Grand Day Out, a bizarre short story in video game form, click here.
  #337    
Old May 11th, 2013 (12:37 PM).
aethylthryth's Avatar
aethylthryth aethylthryth is offline
 
Join Date: May 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 7
Hi, Cutlerine!

I made this account just to say that this story and all of your other ones that I've read are fantastic. (Especially the Guide to Pokemon Husbandry.) I hope you keep this one up until it's done!

Ask Elm how he got there and what he knows about the Eldritch world.
  #338    
Old May 11th, 2013 (10:49 PM).
teamVASIMR's Avatar
teamVASIMR teamVASIMR is offline
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 40
Correct me if I'm wrong but can't you just carry Vesta on a torch (e.g. a piece of coracle or something)?
__________________
Insert Signature Here
  #339    
Old May 12th, 2013 (03:17 AM).
Dimebag's Avatar
Dimebag Dimebag is offline
333
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sky Valley
Gender: Male
Nature: Gentle
Posts: 587
Ask elm about the eldritch pokemon, what happened to the storage system and how he ended up here.
  #340    
Old May 12th, 2013 (10:54 AM).
sepser sepser is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 20
Threaten him with Vesta to make him reveal everything he knows. Also do an evil laugh while you do it. In fact, do an evil laugh even if he tells you everything willingly. You can always say a voice in your head told you to do it; I will gladly take the blame.
  #341    
Old May 12th, 2013 (11:56 AM).
Lopnis's Avatar
Lopnis Lopnis is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 304
No evil laughs or evilness, Just ask him how he got here and how long he's been here and if he knows what that white thing is up ahead
  #342    
Old May 12th, 2013 (02:20 PM).
Kitt Kitt is offline
 
Join Date: May 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 5
Offer to throw a rock at the white thing if he does not know what it is, whether this is a bad idea or not.
  #343    
Old May 15th, 2013 (10:17 AM).
Cutlerine Cutlerine is offline
Gone. May or may not return.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: The Misspelled Cyrpt
Age: 21
Gender:
Nature: Impish
Posts: 1,030
> Correct me if I'm wrong but can't you just carry Vesta on a torch (e.g. a piece of coracle or something)?

Well, it all depends on how much a fire weighs. Ooh, now there's something for all the Zen Buddhists to meditate on. What is the weight of a fire? Deep, man.

Also, yes. This would be possible, if you were willing to go all the way back up to the beach to get a piece of wood – and right now, you aren't; you're more interested in Elm.

Then again, would a piece of wood hold for long? Vesta burns everything she touches at a constant rate loosely tied to the object's flammability; you don't think a torch with her on the end of it would last more than a few minutes. If that.

> Threaten him with Vesta to make him reveal everything he knows. Also do an evil laugh while you do it. In fact, do an evil laugh even if he tells you everything willingly. You can always say a voice in your head told you to do it; I will gladly take the blame.
> No evil laughs or evilness, Just ask him how he got here and how long he's been here and if he knows what that white thing is up ahead
> Ask Elm how he got there and what he knows about the Eldritch world.
> Ask elm about the eldritch pokemon, what happened to the storage system and how he ended up here.
> Offer to throw a rock at the white thing if he does not know what it is, whether this is a bad idea or not.


You have a brief urge to threaten Elm with death by fire, but decide swiftly that this is not the best course of action. You are then beset by an urge to ask Elm what happened to the storage network, but then you remember that you already know about that. Where are these ideas coming from?

“How the hell did you end up down here?” you ask.

Elm gives you a look.

“How do you think? Helicopter out to the islands, then walk down here. I'd heard rumours from a Trainer named Gold that the legendary Pokémon Lugia had re-established a nest here –and, you know, it hadn't been seen in Johto for close to a hundred years; half the scientific community thought it was extinct! So I came down here to see for myself.” He nods in the direction of the distant white thing. “As you can see, it is here.”

“So that is...?”

“Lugia, yes. What's left of it.” Elm sighs. “I'm really not sure how it happened. It's like a spontaneous forced evolution occurred all over the world – but not forwards to the next evolutionary line, more... sideways, to an alternate line.” He shakes his head. “It happened on our way down here. We were attacked; I got down to the camp our scout had established earlier, just over there” – he points over to a nearby wall – “but no one else made it.”

“How come you survived?” you ask. It's a fair question; Elm doesn't look like he'd be much use in a fight against a prawn cracker, let alone against an Eldritch Pokémon. Although that is a bit rich coming from you.

“Where's the safest place to be in the ocean?” he asks in return.

“Uh...” You glance at Vesta, but she doesn't even know what an ocean is; she makes that little twitch that might be a shrug again, and leaves you to it. “I don't know,” you admit. “Where?”

“Right behind the shark,” Elm informs you, and the light dawns.

“They're too scared to come down here, aren't they?”

“Exactly,” he says. “Nothing dares come this close to Lugia. They didn't before, and they definitely don't now – did you see what it did earlier? The storm?”

“Yeah,” you reply. “We were caught in the middle of that.”

Yes, says Vesta. It was cold.

Elm appears to accept your six-foot talking fire as normal; you can't even begin to fathom why this is, but it probably has something to do with the fact that he's been living in close proximity to Eldritch Lugia for so long.

“I see,” he says. “You're lucky to be here, then. If I hadn't sealed the door to the camp, I'd have been drowned – as it was, I think the whole cave network was flooded.”

It's at about this time that your brain catches up with his words.

“Wait,” you say, “helicopter? Does it still work?”

“Hell if I know.” Elm shrugs. “I haven't left this cave in... oh, I don't know. A long, long time now. I'd be amazed if the storms haven't broken it, but I don't know for sure.”

“OK.” You scratch your head. “Uh... I'm Othodox, by the way.”

“All right. Hello, Othodox.”

I'm Vesta, says Vesta, eager to be included.

“Hello, Vesta,” replies Elm with perfect equanimity. “Ah! Dear me, I haven't even invited you in. Please, come with me.”

He leads you over to the wall, and moves a large slab of rock out of the way – and then you realise that it isn't rock, it's some kind of reinforced fibreglass patterned to look like rock.

“So as not to disturb the Pokémon,” explains Elm. “Or at least, that was what it was originally for. Now, it's more so they don't disturb me.”

Beyond the fibreglass partition is a small cave lit by the fitful glow of a cluster of bluish light bulbs; somewhere in the darkness at the back, a portable generator is coughing and humming away to itself like a consumptive bear. Folding chairs sprout from surfaces like unusual canvas fungi, and some rugged-looking laptops stand idle on a natural table of rock in one corner.

Elm seats himself contentedly by a large cooking pot and waits for you to lead Vesta in and settle her on a pile of seaweed, then replaces the fibreglass panel and dims the lights.

“No sense in wasting electricity with Vesta here,” he observes pragmatically; Vesta glows more brightly with a burst of happiness. She likes to be useful, you can tell; she's so happy to be able to help. A little bubble of pride swells in your heart and sits there, hidden from everyone – your secret treasure.

You sit down, and Elm asks:

“Would you like some tea? It's not real tea, I'm afraid, but if you close your eyes and imagine very hard, it's almost like tea.”

You're not sure. Would you like tea? And do you have more to ask Elm?
__________________

For information about A Grand Day Out, a bizarre short story in video game form, click here.
  #344    
Old May 15th, 2013 (12:46 PM).
Kitt Kitt is offline
 
Join Date: May 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 5
Try some tea, then ask Elm if he knows where the helicopter landed and where it might be. Metal isn't the most flammable thing ever, though it's slightly so, so if you can find the helicopter, you can carry Vesta on scrap metal if it's broken, or you can potentially fly around on the helicopter if it works. Hopefully without too much crashing.
Also, ask if he has somehow figured out how to keep pokeballs from doing that melty thing when an Eldritch pokemon is caught in them.
  #345    
Old May 15th, 2013 (12:52 PM).
Lopnis's Avatar
Lopnis Lopnis is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 304
I know we're not one to pass up free food or drink, so yes please ask for some tea. Also, Ask him if any of his technology still works, If he's had the dreams, See if he has any master balls left on him, Also ask about Gold, I mean I always though you were Gold being the PC but it seems another you or another PC existed before you did in the times before the dreaming.
  #346    
Old May 16th, 2013 (06:25 PM).
c1234321's Avatar
c1234321 c1234321 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 77
Stay for some tea, ask about the pokemon storage system and pokemon capture, and whether or not it will still work with Eldritch Pokemon, and ask about his opinion of what exactly Vesta is. All we know for sure right now is that she is a big flammable ball of our pride and joy.
  #347    
Old May 16th, 2013 (09:25 PM).
Hermione Granger's Avatar
Hermione Granger Hermione Granger is online now
bowties are cool
Moderator, BSCS
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: T.A.R.D.I.S.
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,012
Slap him. Drinking something that is not tea but pretending to be drinking tea is too much to ask, after all that we've been through. Still, accept the tea. Who knows when is the next time we get to drink such a lavish beverage.
  #348    
Old May 18th, 2013 (10:50 PM).
Dimebag's Avatar
Dimebag Dimebag is offline
333
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sky Valley
Gender: Male
Nature: Gentle
Posts: 587
Try the 'tea' and ask elm more stuff. Hold on.....maybe the tea has side effects like the moomoo milk !
  #349    
Old May 19th, 2013 (07:22 AM).
StinkomanFan's Avatar
StinkomanFan StinkomanFan is offline
Intern of the Pokemon world
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Gender: Male
Nature: Quirky
Posts: 188
After you have some "tea" investigate one of the laptops.
__________________
Please join my RP, Five Trainers on a Search for an Exit
Please also see my interactive story, "The Undertaker"
  #350    
Old May 19th, 2013 (05:48 PM).
destinedjagold's Avatar
destinedjagold destinedjagold is offline
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Silver Tier
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philippines
Gender: Male
Nature: Careful
Posts: 7,285
Before you accept the tea, ask first what it was made out of, and then decide if it's safe to drink it.
__________________


FC: 0061-1111-6462
TSV: 1364(X), 0790(OR)

 
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are UTC -8. The time now is 02:15 PM.