Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon Trading Card Game
Notices

Pokémon Trading Card Game The forum for the Pokémon TCG and Pokemon TCG Online. Post your deck to get rated, rate other decks, ask questions, talk about strategy, etc.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 17th, 2013, 08:47 PM
Worldslayer608
ಥдಥ
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm

Advertise here
So I have been digging around but I am having a bit of a struggle finding recent decks that are considered Competitive. I play Magic the Gathering and use to play Pokemon TCG years and years ago, Fossil was the latest set at that point.

Really though, I am looking for lists that are either from Japan Championships or US Championships as well as descriptions of what they are and what they do. I found a LostGar list that was a year or two old but that was about it...

Anyone able to shed some light on this and some resources for me?

Pokemon Pillars of Destiny - Starters
To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory...

Voted Best Game Designer 2011 on PC
Old February 17th, 2013, 11:16 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

SixPrizes.com is a good resource for getting familiar with the general metagame. I check there myself on occasion, and probably will start checking more frequently as I attempt to get deeper into competitive play again.

Though a new set just came out so the metagame is currently in a state of flux. I can tell you what cards will survive the metagame change due to Plasma Storm's release no matter what else happens in the metagame around them, though:

Mewtwo EX - Its first attack makes it so it can be splashed in anything for a quick prize-get.
Sigilyph (Dark Explorers set) - A very good Mewtwo EX counter and a solid EX counter.
Old February 18th, 2013, 10:38 AM
Worldslayer608
ಥдಥ
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Is there an eternal format for this card game? Where all printed sets are legal? If so is there a way to track down those competitive lists?

I have not played the card game in so long, I really am unsure what I am looking for. Some local MTG players at our shop play the Pokemon TCG and I thought I would jump in, but I do not think they are playing the current legal cards from what I can tell. I will pester them about what sets they are playing in, but a. Eternal format would be a blast as well

Pokemon Pillars of Destiny - Starters
To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory...

Voted Best Game Designer 2011 on PC
Old February 18th, 2013, 01:06 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

The TCG isn't popular enough for there to be an officially sanctioned format where all cards are legal, though the rules haven't changed all that much. It is commonly referred to as "unlimited" among players, though, but it does have balance issues skewing results heavily in favor of the decks from 2006 and later due to the higher HP, higher damage attacks, and better draw power available to those decks.

If they're playing with the early sets printed by Wizards of the Coast, then for the sake of balance and competitiveness, you'd probably want to play using cards from 2002 or earlier, though these are pretty hard to find at times.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here