The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Fifth Generation

Notices

Fifth Generation Are Pokémon slaves to humans? Team Plasma thinks so. Travel the Unova region and prove them wrong in Black & White, and then return two years later in Black2 & White2.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 17th, 2013, 11:33 PM
GolurkIsDaBomb
Strawberry Sunrise, no ice.

Nature: Lonely
So as we all know, Unova is based on America, specifically New York. Do you think Unova did a good job of representing New York? How about America as a whole? Were there any monuments or places or characteristics of the USA you wish had been included? Did you like that Unova was based on America, or do you think Pokemon should have stuck with basing the regions off of Japan? Should the reference have been toned down?
Old February 23rd, 2013, 03:37 AM
Forever
let it go

I liked that it was in America! It was a nice new change for the games to vary up where they're at. Plus the advantage is you've also got awesome new Pokemon designs that couldn't happen in Japan, such as Braviary, Garbodor, etc, which all make NU even better! :3;

Plus Castelia wouldn't be as awesome if it wasn't based on America~~~
Old February 23rd, 2013, 03:51 AM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
This was one of the reasons I loved Unova over any other region, the basis of America is just such a nice break-away from the usual stereotypical Japanese-based region. And like what Nica said there's Pokemon designs that would not have happened if Unova was based on Japan like Braviary, Garbodor and I think even Scrafty and Cinccino.

Also, Castelia City just reminds me of NY so much! If Unova had a Japanese basis it wouldn't be cool eh?

Paired with AWsquared and Starry Windy
Battle Server | Tumblr | TWL | Profile | Supporter

Old February 23rd, 2013, 01:57 PM
Arlo

With no offense meant, I think the whole notion of it being based on New York has been vastly overblown (not in this thread - just generally). Yes - I know Masuda said it was inspired by it, but I think what he meant when he said that and what people have taken it to mean are obviously different things. I mean - just look at it.

The overhead view of Castelia City bears some resemblance to lower Manhattan, and that's really about it. By the time you get out to where Long Island would be and find that it's a Mexican shanty town straight out of a Sergio Leone movie with a volcano looming overhead (or when you come out on the other side of that volcanic mountain and find yourself at a Caribbean resort, or when you go south from Castelia and find yourself in a windswept desert surrounded by steep canyons), I think you should be getting past the idea that it's really, in any broad sense, anything other than VERY loosely based on a fairly broad range of environments, most of which have counterparts in or near North America. And that's about it.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links