The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > Discussions & Debates

Notices

Discussions & Debates The place to go for slightly more in-depth topics. Discussions and debates about the world, current events, ideas, news, and more.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 21st, 2013, 04:08 PM
BlazingLink
Sergeant Serious

Nature: Modest

Advertise here
I mean, the Democrats are trying to get rid of the Second Amendment, so first is fair game, right?

As a Republican, I feel like none of the first 10 amendments should be messed with, and I follow what the purpose of that law is, but to actually have to do it is sad.

Just as a note to the thread maker, that title is extremely biased, and doesn't represent the actual topic.

Old February 21st, 2013, 08:07 PM
Cerberus87
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingLink View Post
I mean, the Democrats are trying to get rid of the Second Amendment, so first is fair game, right?

As a Republican, I feel like none of the first 10 amendments should be messed with, and I follow what the purpose of that law is, but to actually have to do it is sad.

Just as a note to the thread maker, that title is extremely biased, and doesn't represent the actual topic.
It depends, in law the suppression of a rule must be the last interpretative rule to be taken. So the Second Amendment can stay, but with a new interpretation.

What happens (and I hope I don't get any flack for it) is that the Republicans take the rule to the letter, believing they're living in the days of the Independence. Back then, there was no police force, so a militia consisting of common people was the only way to ensure basic safety. Nowadays, however, you have an organized and well-regulated militia taking care of safety: it's called the police. The allowance of gun ownership by regular citizens in the US actually violates the Second Amendment, because in no way are all the citizens who own guns organized, their primary goal is not communal safety but self-defense instead, and the bulk of citizens who own guns in the US cannot be defined as a "well-regulated militia", because the rules on guns apply to gun ownership, not to the definition of the American citizens as an organized and regulated group, since the group is not uniform and not recognized as some form of militia.

3DS FC: 3282-2423-7870 (PM if you add) (Bug-type Safari)

I like Lyra so take my opinions with a grain of salt.
Old February 21st, 2013, 08:12 PM
Lance
Pokémon Champion

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Lance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire
Be Objective & Balanced
When making threads in Other Chat & Discussions, you should be making threads with the intent of creating a nice, broad, and long discussion. Basically, you want to make successful and intelligent threads. Use facts, sources and scholarly material when making a discussion where that would be appropriate (In example, use crime rates in threads about crime, Carbon Dioxide Emission figures in a thread about climate change, etc) Given that OC&D deals heavily in politics, DO NOT post politically charged threads solely designed to bash or to defame another political entity. OC&D is not a landfill for your hyper-partisan political views. Keep that to your blog, or more preferably, keep it to yourself.
The American Politics Thread
Politics go here. Happy Posting!

Closed

Sponsored Links

Advertise here