Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Computers & Technology
Notices

Computers & Technology The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Old March 1st, 2013, 08:10 AM
Jokedon
Unhatched Egg

Advertise here
Hi guys, what graphic programs do you use for image retouching and editing? I cant afford Photoshop so need something else, any recommendations?
Old March 1st, 2013, 08:44 AM
Archenoth
The arch foe

Nature: Lonely
I personally use GIMP... Don't expect it to be Photoshop because it really isn't... Its workflow uses a very different paradigm than Photoshop's does. But it is definitely a capable editor if you get used to it... It's free too.

For example, my avatar was cropped out of a Pixiv image using its path tool:
Spoiler:
Here is the original image.... (Source)

Here is the vectoring in GIMP:

Cropped...

Here it is after redoing the linework:

My only complaint is that between the major releases (Doesn't happen often, once every few years maybe.) they may change the paradigm slightly, like how you have to export to other file formats as opposed to just saving with the preferred file extension now. (This wasn't in GIMP 2.6.)

Last edited by Archenoth; March 1st, 2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old March 1st, 2013, 10:09 AM
Aeon
Now face the avalanche

Nature: Quiet
I use Photoshop CS6, but since you're probably interested in the alternatives, try Paint.net if you want something that is like Paint, but with some Photoshop features. If you're looking for something more advanced, try GIMP (you don't exactly have a choice is you're using OS X and Linux here.)
I have now moved to my new account
TéaQQ for good due to personal reasons.
Old March 1st, 2013, 09:53 PM
twocows
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
http://www.getpaint.net/
Paint.NET's a pretty useful tool. A bit easier to use than GIMP but not as fully featured.
Doctors Without Borders: one of the few charity groups you can rely on to actually do real good in the world.

PM me if you have computer troubles. I work in IT for a living and can probably solve your problems. My rate is $expensive/hr, but I'm still cheaper than Creep Squad and, unlike them, will actually get the job done or let you know if I can't.

Quote:
The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
- H. L. Mencken, unsourced

Quote:
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]

NEW 40K MMOFPS YESSSSS
Old March 1st, 2013, 10:40 PM
Brendino
#fpt2014

Nature: Quiet
I'm personally a Photoshop guy, but gave Paint.NET a go a while back, and was quite pleased with its simplicity, and ability to open .psd files if you have the right extension.

If you don't mind an older version of Photoshop, though, Adobe has all of CS2 up for download on their website, for free. Apparently they didn't mean to upload it for everybody, but they still haven't taken it down from their site, even after it was brought to their attention. Sure, you won't get all the features the newer versions offer, but basic users should be able to do everything they need to with CS2.

Favorite Pokémon Tournament 2014: DARK // NORMAL
Old March 1st, 2013, 10:42 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
I use pixlr.com. If you use the "advanced options", you get about 80% of the features.
did u no there r 21 letters in the alphabet
o i forgot 5
uraqt

Old March 3rd, 2013, 07:48 AM
Jokedon
Unhatched Egg

Thanks guys! I dont need anything too fance but I still think Ill try GIMP, seems ok even if a bit confusing. Is it capable of doing things that photoshop can, like changing resolution, color mode and stuff? Because I need to get some stuff sent to my printer (print24) and need to adjust them apparently. Has anyone tried Pixelmator? Its like 15 dollars so not too bad. Maybe ill get the free trial...
Old March 3rd, 2013, 07:55 AM
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokedon View Post
Thanks guys! I dont need anything too fance but I still think Ill try GIMP, seems ok even if a bit confusing. Is it capable of doing things that photoshop can, like changing resolution, color mode and stuff? Because I need to get some stuff sent to my printer (print24) and need to adjust them apparently. :paranoid: Has anyone tried Pixelmator? Its like 15 dollars so not too bad. Maybe ill get the free trial...
If you're liking towards Photoshop, try the page Brendino recommended. It hosts a complete version of CS2 and a product key to boot.

Pairs:
Kevin, Echidna
Follow me on Twitter! @TeamFail
Alt 1, リザードン
Miiverse
Pokémon Hackers Online
Alt 2: Jack Cayman

[04:20.39] <@GoGo> I WILL INSERT WITH PLEASURE
[04:20.45] <@GoGo> shut it Bela

[05:41.55] <Team_Fail> Blue Spider is interesting, but #MEHMasterRace
[05:42.20] <diegoisawesome> Team_Fail: Sounds like a bunch of unmotivated people that still want to try to take over the world
Old March 3rd, 2013, 08:10 AM
Patrick
Ya'll Are Weird
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
I use whatever's the most convenient. That can be anything from Flash, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign if necessary, and MSPaint.

Other Stuff That's Totally Uncool and Not Worth Your Time!

Old March 3rd, 2013, 11:04 AM
Archenoth
The arch foe

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokedon View Post
Thanks guys! I dont need anything too fance but I still think Ill try GIMP, seems ok even if a bit confusing. Is it capable of doing things that photoshop can, like changing resolution, color mode and stuff? Because I need to get some stuff sent to my printer (print24) and need to adjust them apparently. Has anyone tried Pixelmator? Its like 15 dollars so not too bad. Maybe ill get the free trial...
Yep... Color mode is in "Image > Mode"
And if by "changing resolution", you mean scaling images to different sizes, that is in "Image > Scale image..." but if you just mean making the picture size bigger or smaller without affecting your layers or image, that would be in "Image > Canvas Size..."
Old March 3rd, 2013, 01:20 PM
Cassino
no

GIMP 2.6 and XnView, two things my avatars usually go through.
The former actually makes the latter redundant, but I've aways worked with them together. XnView is still worth looking at if you're after a light program and not to make pixel-specific edits. If nothing else, it's a nice replacement/addition for/to the default image viewer Windows offers, especially with the extensive context menu integration. I've also always used the rather old Microsoft GIF Animator for putting frames together for animations, again since it's less cumbersome than GIMP. As for the version of GIMP I use, it's probably not important, just what I am personally used to.
DA | YT | In the navy, yes, you can put your mind at ease.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 04:32 PM
Jokedon
Unhatched Egg

Ok thanks, PS CS2 is really old though :D But if ts free then sweet!
Old March 3rd, 2013, 05:03 PM
.EJ
Arrow<3
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Relaxed
I use Photoshop CS5 and CS6 depending on which operating system. I used to use Illustrator CS5 as well.
What is this, some sort of basketball manga?
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here