The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Challenges

Notices

Challenges Bored of your old Pokémon games, but still want to play them? Put your skills to the test with a solo run, a monotype challenge, or anything else you can think of.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Old March 26th, 2013, 05:49 AM
The Sceptile King
Just came back from a break!

Nature: Lax

Advertise here
Username:The Sceptile King
Game: Sapphire
Era: Medieval Era

I'll get started

X Water Montype Challenge 4/8
Old March 26th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Warship
異議あり!

Nature: Jolly
Update #6:
POKEMON SAPPHIRE
NUMBER OF BADGES: 6
Spoiler:
*Went to Mauville and headed east to Route 118 and surfed.
*Reached Weather Institute after many battles including the "Mimic Circle".
*Purged there from Team Aqua and got a Castform in return whichi boxed.
*Beat May pretty easily.
*Reached Fortree City.
*Went on to Route 120.
*Met Steven who gave me a Devon Scope and made me battle a Kecleon.
*I caught that Kecleon but boxed it too.
*Exposed the Kecleon in front of the gym and it fled.
*Beat the gym(man that Altaria was tough)
*Went on to Route 120 and ultimately Route 121 and beat many many trainers.
*Grovyle evolved into Sceptile in the process.
*Reached Lilycove City.
*Tried to enter Aqua Hideout only to find it guarded by two grunts.
*Tried to go to Mossdeep City only to find that an Aqua grunt is training his Wailmer there so the road is closed
*Beat May for the final time in front of the Department Store.
*Went off to Mt.Pyre.
*Drove off Team Aqua but they got the Red Orb.
*I got the Blue Orb to stop them.
*Went back to Slateport via Route 123 which hosted many Trainers.
*Witnessed Team Aqua stealing "Submarine Explorer 1".
*Went back to Lilycove and entered the Aqua Hideout.
*Beat the first Grunt and saved.

Team:
Spoiler:
Sceptile Sapphire.png
Sceptile/Lv.38/Lonely(Atk+,Def-)/Overgrow/Grass/Item: Miracle Seed
Quick Attack
Screech
Leaf Blade
Pursuit

Linoone Sapphire.png
Linoone/Lv.38/Rash(Sp.Atk+,Def-)/Pickup/Normal
Headbutt
Cut
Surf
Covet

Graveler Sapphire.png
Graveler/Lv.38/Relaxed(Def+,Spd-)/Sturdy/Rock/Ground
Magnitude
Rock Throw
Rock Smash
Rock Blast

Torkoal Sapphire.png
Torkoal/Lv.38/Relaxed (Def+,Spd-)/White Smoke/Fire/Item:Charcoal
Flamethrower
Body Slam
Curse
Protect
Old March 27th, 2013, 02:00 PM
Tim!
Togepi

Username: Tim!
Era: Medieval

(Optional) King Arthur: Your team must be based of Arthurian Characters
- I was wondering how you see this? Can you give an example maybe?

Also, you have banned types and "your team may consist of" - types. But there are also other types, may those be used or not?
What about a Swellow by example, it is normal/flying. Normal is a banned type but flying isn't mentioned? Other non-mentioned types together with types that are allowed is okay he? (ex. Crawdaunt)

Sorry for these questions, I must have missed some information somewhere I guess.

regards

Tim!
Gym Badges: 8/8
E4: 0/5
Pokémon:, , , , ,

Completed challenges

Medieval Time Warp Challenge @ Sapphire
Old March 27th, 2013, 04:09 PM
Orianna
So strange, they scream.
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim! View Post

(Optional) King Arthur: Your team must be based of Arthurian Characters
- I was wondering how you see this? Can you give an example maybe?

Also, you have banned types and "your team may consist of" - types. But there are also other types, may those be used or not?
What about a Swellow by example, it is normal/flying. Normal is a banned type but flying isn't mentioned? Other non-mentioned types together with types that are allowed is okay he? (ex. Crawdaunt)

Sorry for these questions, I must have missed some information somewhere I guess.

Well, the point of the types list for each Era is for the challenger to use those types that match the Era. Else, it wouldn't really be much of a challenge. So basically, if other types aren't mentioned, you don't use them. Unless they're dual-type and one of the types matches the Era.
As for the dual types with 1 type on the Era types list and one type on the Banned types list.... you can't use those.

Now on to the Arthurian Characters part xD
Basically, you have to choose Arthurian Characters from the list and find Pokémon that match the Era types that would be representative of the said characters. For example, let's say you chose King Arthur. You then think of a Pokémon that could represent King Arthur, like I don't know, let's say Escavalier. And you do that for the entire team.

"We will kill your enemies. That will be fun."

Last edited by Orianna; March 28th, 2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old March 27th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Necrum
Professional Super Villain

Nature: Adamant
Chapter 2: Dexter

Spoiler:
As I began to walk away from the abandoned lab, I heard the wreckage shift. As I turned to look, a figure burst forth from underground, launching into the air. He landed on all fours, his figure a slinky, undernourished form. His eyes were milky white, and his hair a pale brown, shuffled in a messy manner. "Who's there!" he shouted.

I stood perfectly still, gripped with fear at the strange being before me. "I may not be able to see, but I can still smell you," he said as he sniffed the air. I noticed a Pokeball clutched in his right hand.

"Y-you have a Pokemon?" I asked timidly.

He smiled. "Yes, I do. You took one of them too, didn't you? You took one of my grandpa's Pokemon didn't you!?!" He screamed at me as he threw the Pokeball. A blue turtle emerged from the ball. It seemed like it had been unaffected by whatever destroyed this place. I drew my ball up, determined to survive this nightmare, and threw it, revealing a red lizard of some sort with a fire on the end of its tail.

The two Pokemon stared each other down for what felt like an eternity before I heard an unfamiliar voice. It spoke in words I could not understand, perhaps speaking that strange language in the newspaper. As I looked around I spotted a small, red tablet computer. I picked it up to see an image of a human silhouette with lines running vertically and horizontally through it, and a separate line moving up and down the image. Suddenly, a laser shot out and ran up and down my body. "Scan complete. Language set to English," it said in a soft, reassuring male voice.

"What?"

"I am a Pokedex mk. X model, portable AI unit. You can call me Dexter."

"Er, hi, Dexter." Suddenly, a picture of my Pokemon appeared on the screen, with a list of 2 moves. "Charmander, level 5," it said.

"Charmander, use Scratch!" I cried, determined yet again. The Squirtle rushed my Charmander, tackling him to the ground. Charmander bared its claw and slashed the Squirtle across the face, breaking free from its hold. It then went on the offensive, assaulting the Squirtle with a flurry of attacks until eventually, the Squirtle fell to the ground unconscious.

"Grrrrrr." The boy scowled. He recalled Squirtle to his Pokeball and ran away. "I'll get that Charmander back! I have your scent! Smell you later!" he shouted back at me.

I fell to the ground, relieved that that craziness was over. "A Charmander, eh? Guess I picked well."

"If you don't mind me saying so, it may be a good idea to move on, the sun will be gone soon and there is an old city nearby, Viridian City."

"Hm? I suppose you're right, it's probably not safe here," I said as I stood back up, and began walking off with my Charmander at my side. I may not know where I am, but I will find a way to get back to my own time. I have to...

Chapter 1

Last edited by Necrum; March 27th, 2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old March 27th, 2013, 05:03 PM
StinkomanFan
Intern of the Pokemon world

Nature: Quirky
I would like to sign up for this challenge. My team shall conquer the future! Only problem is that I usually go with Treecko so this'll be quite the challenge...

Username: StinkomanFan
Game: Pokemon Ruby
Time Period: The Sci-Fi Like Future
I took Sci-Fi because only one other guy is going for it, if you're OK with that... Also, are Magnemites even found in Hoenn?
Old March 27th, 2013, 05:20 PM
Orianna
So strange, they scream.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkomanFan View Post
Also, are Magnemites even found in Hoenn?
Yup, you can find Magnemite in New Mauville in Hoenn.

Welcome to the challenge xD

Old March 27th, 2013, 06:31 PM
StinkomanFan

Part One of the Sci-Fi Like Future
Spoiler:
Starting off, doing all the normal stuff, because my character (Named and hereafter referred to as Qualzek, because that's how names work in the future) who apparently is too nice to simply shove a three foot kid out of his way
Hehe, Mom's watching Big. Does this mean Tom Hanks is a real person in the Pokeverse?
Break into May's House, grab the Potions, all that stuff, not in that order though
I never realized how fat these guys are until now. Dear GOD!
Scientists talking down to me... I hate that
DUHDUHDUHDUUUUUUUUH You got a Torchic!
Arthur, lvl 5, has joined your team!
Ability: Blaze
Nature: Relaxed

I love free give-aways! Got a free potion out of it! Pity I wasn't the twenty-seventh guy, I needed a ball-peen hammer...
Beat up May's Mudkip, happily. And no, I don't like Mudkipz.
Got the Pokeballs and Pokedex! Truely technology has excelled so far.

See you tommorow!
Old March 28th, 2013, 02:00 AM
Tim!
Togepi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KagamiChan View Post
Well, the point of the types list for each Era is for the challenger to use those types that match the Era. Else, it wouldn't really be much of a challenge. So basically, if other types aren't mentioned, you don't use them. Unless they're dual-type and one of the types matches the Era.
As for the dual types with 1 type on the Era types list and one type on the Banned types list.... you can use those.

Basically, you have to choose Arthurian Characters from the list and find Pokémon that match the Era types that would be representative of the said characters. For example, let's say you chose King Arthur. You then think of a Pokémon that could represent King Arthur, like I don't know, let's say Escavalier. And you do that for the entire team.
All right, thank you alot for the information.

My entry.
Username: Tim!
Era: Medieval

I'm going to find a team and start.

*edit*
Perhaps an idea for some extra ages:
- The Ice-age
- The Roman/Greek/Spartan/Persian age

Regards

Tim!

Completed challenges

Old March 28th, 2013, 06:31 AM
Warship
異議あり!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KagamiChan View Post
As for the dual types with 1 type on the Era types list and one type on the Banned types list.... you can use those.

then what is the difference between banned types and non-mentioned types o_o? i mean if you can use a dual-typed pokemon whose type is normal/flying while normal is banned and flying is allowed what is the role of banned types?
Old March 28th, 2013, 06:44 AM
Necrum

Any dual type pokemon is acceptable as long as it has one of the allowed types, and doesn't have a banned type. If a Pokemon has only not mentioned types, you still can't use it. Does that make more sense?

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about this, KagamiChan.
Old March 28th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Warship
異議あり!

i think i get it so i cannot have a lunatone in stone age(rock types are allowed,psychic types are banned) but i can have a ludicolo (grass is allowed, water is not mentioned)
Old March 28th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Necrum

That's the way I understand it, but wait for KagamiChan to confirm this. I don't wanna be intruding on her challenge.
Old March 28th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Happy Smiley Yum Yum

How about these ideas?

Ice Age
Era Types: Ice, Water, Rock and Ground
Mandatory:
Generation I: Dewgong
Generation II: Piloswine
Generation III: Walrein
Generation IV: Froslass/Mamoswine
Generation V: Cryogonal
Banned: Electric types, Grass types, Bug Types
Era Rules: You may not use the Poke Mart because there are no markets. You must rely on what you are given
Johto games Rules: Once you are able to reach the Kanto region, Normal Types can join your team

Feudal Japan Era
Era Types: Poison, Dark, Bug, Fighting
Mandatory:
Generation I: Hitmonlee or Hitmonchan
Generation II: Ariados/Crobat
Generation III: Hariyama
Generation IV: Gallade/Toxicroak
Generation V: Bisharp
Banned: Grass Types, Electric Types, Water Types
Era Rules: As your Pokemon represent the army of Feudal Japan, you may only shop from each Poke Mart once, representing your army not stopping in the village.
Johto games Rules: Once you are able to reach the Kanto region, Steel Types are allowed to join your team.

The Roaring Twenties
Era Types: Normal Types, Psychic, Dragon, Ice
Mandatory:
Generation I: Persian
Generation II: Granbull/Blissey
Generation III: Delcatty/Slaking
Generation IV: Purugly/Lopunny
Generation V: Cinccino
Banned: Dark Type, Bug Type, Fighting Type
Era Rules: You must buy something from every Poke Mart and may not sell any items.
Johto games Rules: Once you are able to reach the Kanto region, Steel Types and Electric Types are allowed to join your team.

Any of those any good? I got really bored at work today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warship View Post
i think i get it so i cannot have a lunatone in stone age(rock types are allowed,psychic types are banned) but i can have a ludicolo (grass is allowed, water is not mentioned)
I started playing stone age earlier, and am posting my sign up now. Anyhow, that's how I read it too, and I use a Ludicolo too! :D

OT:

Username: Happy Smiley Yum Yum
Era: ALL OF THEM! (In historical order ofc.)

Last edited by Happy Smiley Yum Yum; March 28th, 2013 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old March 28th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Orianna
So strange, they scream.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecrumWarrior View Post
Any dual type pokemon is acceptable as long as it has one of the allowed types, and doesn't have a banned type. If a Pokemon has only not mentioned types, you still can't use it. Does that make more sense?

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about this, KagamiChan.
That is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warship View Post
Yes, you got that right. You can use any dual-types with one type on the Era types list and 1 type that isn't mentioned.

Quote:
That's the way I understand it, but wait for KagamiChan to confirm this. I don't wanna be intruding on her challenge.
You're not intruding at all, I appreciate the help xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Smiley Yum Yum View Post
-snip-

Username: Happy Smiley Yum Yum
Era: ALL OF THEM! (In historical order ofc.)
I was thinking about Ice Age myself, right as I was clicking on the thread xD
Those are some pretty neat ideas, I'll think about it xD but Ice Age has a 90% chance of being added.

I'm really glad to see someone doing an Ultimate version of this challenge o.o

Oh and I just realised what got people confused o.o basically, a typo I made because of being tired and distracted.
Quote:
As for the dual types with 1 type on the Era types list and one type on the Banned types list.... you can('t) use those.
^Added the correction.

Old March 28th, 2013, 02:00 PM
Necrum

I like the idea of an early 1900's option, like that Roaring 20s suggestion, but I don't fully get some of the choices in the pitch. For example, what does Dragon type have to do with that time period? That seems more like a ban list to me. And, considering the high mobster activity at the time, I would think that Dark should be an allowed type, not a banned one. Psychic kind of fits in, but I also don't quite get Ice. I certainly think it's a wonderful idea, but imo it needs some tweaking.

EDIT: Maybe instead of the Roaring 20s, it could be the Industrial Revolution, so it can fit more than a 10 year span?
Old March 28th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Orianna
So strange, they scream.
Community Supporter

Quote:
I like the idea of an early 1900's option, like that Roaring 20s suggestion, but I don't fully get some of the choices in the pitch. For example, what does Dragon type have to do with that time period? That seems more like a ban list to me. And, considering the high mobster activity at the time, I would think that Dark should be an allowed type, not a banned one. Psychic kind of fits in, but I also don't quite get Ice. I certainly think it's a wonderful idea, but imo it needs some tweaking.

EDIT: Maybe instead of the Roaring 20s, it could be the Industrial Revolution, so it can fit more than a 10 year span?

Well, I'm open to all sorts of suggestions & stuff regarding new Eras. So feel free to drop me a VM & stuff. For example, the Post-Apocalyptic Scenario was all LiquidRage's idea. He PMed me and I loved it. And the Medieval Era was built in the trade corner IRC xD
So yeah, just VM me and share your thoughts and we'll work something out o.o

Old March 28th, 2013, 02:16 PM
Tim!
Togepi

Update:
Medieval Challenge - Sapphire
Gym Badges: 3/8
Pokémon: Combusken (31), Gardevoir (30) , Aron (29)
I am Training in Jagged Pass in order to beat the 4th gym.

Completed challenges

Old March 28th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Happy Smiley Yum Yum

Quote:

Ice and Dragon because to me, they always seemed quite extravagant types, and the era is dripping with opulence. Dark is banned because the 20s were supposed to be a happy period, and dark is kind of the opposite.

The industrial revolution is a good one. I'd do that.

Update #1
Currently stuck in: Jurrasic Jam
Badges: 0
Team:
Tokay - Treecko - Lv 13
Firmin - Surskit - Lv 7
Xtina - Lotad - Lv 9
Smurfette - Dustox - Lv 10

I'm saving the other two spots for a Lileep and a Numel. I'm enjoying this more than any other challenge because of the thematicness, as opposed to the simplicity of a monotype challenge.

Quick question though - If one of the mandatory requirements clashed with a banned type, what would you do? i.e. on Jurassic Jam, choosing to revive a Shieldon. I feel like the Shieldon would be allowed, because it evidently existed then, even though steel is forbidden. Can we get an official ruling on this please?
Jurassic Jam ¦ Ice Age ¦ Stone Age ¦ Egyptian Era ¦ Medieval Era ¦ Renaissance Era ¦ The Pirate Golden Age ¦ Industrial Revolution ¦ Westward Expansion ¦ The Progressive Era ¦ Mobster Mania ¦ The Sci-Fi Like Future ¦ The Post-Apocalyptic Scenario ¦ Time Rift

Last edited by Happy Smiley Yum Yum; March 28th, 2013 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old March 28th, 2013, 07:29 PM
StinkomanFan

Part Two! Hopefully with more progress!
Spoiler:

Mom gave me the Running Shoes. The good thing about the future is that cars and motorcycles are socially awkward and another exercise craze has taken over!
I wish the moms in these games actually did something... like call or visit instead of staying at home and drowning their troubles in Eighties Movies...
"I finished sketching the rare Pokemon's footprints! But they were my own!" I am slightly surprised, and saddened, that this man had not drowned in his bathtub
Youngster Calvin, Bug Catcher Rick, Lass Tiana... Why do all these seven year olds have Pokemon? And where do they get this money?
This poor kid is trapped in tall grass... He will not live to see tomorrow...
Arthur knows the power of the flame! (He learned Ember)
Talked to some random dude. He wanted a statement, he got it. I just hope it doesn't come back to bite me...
A random jerk keeps refusing to let me leave!
I meet Wally, a poor kid with a deadly disease that had claimed thousands in the years since it was discovered. But he's born with incredible luck, as he found a frigging RALTS! First try!
Finally got one of my own as well! It was even a woman!

SAMUS, lvl 4, has joined the team!
Ability: Synchronize
Calm Nature

She only knows Growl though, but she will learn.
Also, I had to grind like CRAZY to find her!

TEAM:
Spoiler:

ARTHUR, level 14
Moves: Scratch, Growl, Focus Energy, and Ember
Ability: Blaze
Nature: Relaxed

SAMUS, level 4
Moves: Growl
Ability: Synchronize
Nature: Calm

See you tomorrow!
Old March 29th, 2013, 12:42 AM
Orianna
So strange, they scream.
Community Supporter

Quote:

Quick question though - If one of the mandatory requirements clashed with a banned type, what would you do? i.e. on Jurassic Jam, choosing to revive a Shieldon. I feel like the Shieldon would be allowed, because it evidently existed then, even though steel is forbidden. Can we get an official ruling on this please?
Well, Jurassic Jam is an exception concerning dual-types with one type on the Era Types list and one type on the Banned Types list since you are REQUIRED to revive and use any fossil Pokémon that you obtain in your game.

Old March 29th, 2013, 03:53 AM
waters_echo

Trainer Hass
Badges: Zephyr, Hive, Plain, Fog, Glacier, Storm, Mineral, Rising, [L]
Team:
ThylaLeos
Typhlosion, M, Lv57, Charcoal
Flame wheel, ember, smokescreen, swift

Angel
Dunsparce, M, Lv57, Pink bow
Rage, screech, glare, pursuit
- <3

WrathClaws
Ursaring, M, Lv56, King's rock
Slash, faint attack, lick, fury swipes

Sun
Graveller*, M, Lv56, Hard stone
Rock throw, defence curl, rollout, earthquake

BurningRed
Parasect, F, Lv57, Quick claw
Slash, spore, giga drain, leechlife

NeedeSile
Nidoking, M, LV56, Blackbelt
Strength, surf, double kick, focus energy

Took on Claire, Angel dealt with her pretty easily actually. Surprisingly so.
Then we took the league, culminating in a back-forth switching between NeedeSile and Angel against Lance, with NeedeSile taking the non-dragons and Angel taking out the dragonites.
We.
Need to train so much.
To Kanto, I guess?

(Also, I think Raikou is stalking me? It's really weird?)

And now you know what I do when I get bored~
(read: have far too much fun with overlay layers)

Last edited by waters_echo; March 29th, 2013 at 04:03 AM.
Old March 29th, 2013, 05:52 AM
Tim!
Togepi

Update:
Medieval Challenge - Sapphire
Gym Badges: 4/8
Pokémon: Combusken (34), Gardevoir (30) , Aron (30), Baltoy (22), Trapinch (21)
I've beaten Flannery, caught a Baltoy and a Trapinch and right now I'm defeating the trainers in the desert.

Completed challenges

Old March 29th, 2013, 07:57 AM
Cossolotto32
Pokemon Collector!

I'd love to try this one
Username:Cossolotto32
GameoulSilver
Era:Westward (I loved that part of history!)

Quote:
The Roaring Twenties
Era Types: Normal Types, Psychic, Dragon, Ice
Mandatory:
Generation I: Persian
Generation II: Granbull/Blissey
Generation III: Delcatty/Slaking
Generation IV: Purugly/Lopunny
Generation V: Cinccino
Banned: Dark Type, Bug Type, Fighting Type
Era Rules: You must buy something from every Poke Mart and may not sell any items.
Johto games Rules: Once you are able to reach the Kanto region, Steel Types and Electric Types are allowed to join your team.
I love this idea! The 20's were easily my favorite part in history! I wanna start one after I finish the Westward challenge and name my character Gatsby in reference of the novel by Scott Fitzgerald! So exciting! hahaa

Last edited by Cossolotto32; March 29th, 2013 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old March 29th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Koyan
Ghost/Dark Trainer

Nature: Careful
Username: Koyan
Game: Black 2
Era: Egyptian Era

Using that (creepy) Sphinx Rule.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here