The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Challenges

Notices

Challenges Bored of your old Pokémon games, but still want to play them? Put your skills to the test with a solo run, a monotype challenge, or anything else you can think of.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Old April 6th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Happy Smiley Yum Yum

Advertise here
Today, I swapped out Dustox for a Magikarp which then evolved into Gyarados.

I'm now grinding for the E4.

Currently my team is:

Sceptile
Gyarados
Lileep
Camerupt
Pelipper
Ludicolo
Jurassic Jam ¦ Ice Age ¦ Stone Age ¦ Egyptian Era ¦ Medieval Era ¦ Renaissance Era ¦ The Pirate Golden Age ¦ Industrial Revolution ¦ Westward Expansion ¦ The Progressive Era ¦ Mobster Mania ¦ The Sci-Fi Like Future ¦ The Post-Apocalyptic Scenario ¦ Time Rift
Old April 7th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Orianna
So strange, they scream.
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Updated with 2 new eras, added all the new challengers and champions and made a few aesthetic changes to the first post.

Oh and here's my first update on my Sapphire Renaissance run:

Spoiler:
Chose Torchic as my starter.
Did the beginning stuff.
Caught Ralts on Route 102.
Caught Surskit on Route 102.
Caught a Zigzagoon for HM using purposes (and Pick Up >.>)
Went through Petalburg Woods.
Reached Rustboro.
Currently looking for a Skitty on Route 116

Badges: None

Current Team:

Ralts
Level 9// Female// Careful// Synchronize
Growl
Confusion

Surskit
Level 8// Female// Careful// Swift Swim
Bubble
Quick Attack

(don't ask how they both turned out female AND careful o.O I just noticed myself xD)

"We will kill your enemies. That will be fun."
Old April 7th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Happy Smiley Yum Yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by KagamiChan View Post
Well, there was someone that said they were doing all the Eras.
Me!

I'm doing all of the eras in Sapphire, and when I've finished, I'll decide which my favourite is, and then do that in the other generations.

I have a question about the mandatory Pokemon. Do we have to use all of them? It's just that I'm trying (try being key) to do them with one team, and the Milotic for Renaissance, which is the only surf Pokemon I'll use, is not available until after I need surf.

If it is, I'll just substitute another, because I'm heavy on grass Pokemon right now, but if not, then great!
Old April 7th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Orianna
So strange, they scream.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Smiley Yum Yum View Post
Me!

I'm doing all of the eras in Sapphire, and when I've finished, I'll decide which my favourite is, and then do that in the other generations.

I have a question about the mandatory Pokemon. Do we have to use all of them? It's just that I'm trying (try being key) to do them with one team, and the Milotic for Renaissance, which is the only surf Pokemon I'll use, is not available until after I need surf.

If it is, I'll just substitute another, because I'm heavy on grass Pokemon right now, but if not, then great!

Oh xD
You don't have to use all the Mandatory Pokémon.
I listed more than 1 in some cases because some people can't/ might not want to get a specific pokémon.
So just choose the one you like, but it has to be in your team when the challenge ends.

And by the way, the Mandatory for Hoenn for Renaissance changed from Milotic to Beautifly because Milotic is a pain to get and I have been told it kills the fun of the challenge.

Old April 7th, 2013, 01:52 PM
GameGuru141
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Jolly
I'm confused about something in the eras when it says Era Types and list some types such as the stone age for example does that mean you can only use Pokemon of those types and just don't use the banned ones or can use any type of pokemon except for the banned ones just try to use the specific types?
Old April 7th, 2013, 02:42 PM
Orianna
So strange, they scream.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameGuru141 View Post
I'm confused about something in the eras when it says Era Types and list some types such as the stone age for example does that mean you can only use Pokemon of those types and just don't use the banned ones or can use any type of pokemon except for the banned ones just try to use the specific types?
Basically, the "Era Types" section lists the Types you are ALLOWED to use. "Banned" lists the types you CAN'T use.
So, your team must consist of Pokémon that match the types on the Era Types list. You can't use any other Types, unless they dual with a type on the list. And you CAN'T use dual-types that got a type on the allowed types list and one on the banned list.

For example, let's say you can use Bug Types, but can't use Fire types, but you recieve the Volcanora Egg. Volcanore is a Bug/Fire type so you aren't allowed to use that.
But, let's say you can use Bug Types, but there's nothing mentioned about Water Types. And you want to use Surskit. Surskit is a Bug/Water type so you can use that one.

The only exception to those lists are the Pokémon listed under Mandatory.
So a Mandatory Pokémon can be a dual-type that's not allowed, such as Honchkrow which is Dark/Flying. (If you check the Mobster Mania, you'll see that Dark is allowed, Flying is banned, but Honchkrow is on the Mandatory list.)

Hope that answered your questions o.o

Old April 7th, 2013, 03:25 PM
LiteSandwich
Big things come in Nice packages.

Nature: Quiet
Got a little bit started on this Challenge,since i'm switching between this and the gym leader challenges

Spoiler:
Got My starter
Got an Eevee from Cynthia(Nice Surprise Dray. )
Heading to Dark Cave to get my first pokemon of the Challenge:Zubat!

Old April 7th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Crystar500
Stressed and Confused

Nature: Lonely
Username: Crystar500
Game: Saphire
Era: Jurassic Jam

I'm planning on doing every era at least once. Are you still thinking of eras to add? There are 13 right?
Old April 7th, 2013, 05:22 PM
GameGuru141
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Basically, the "Era Types" section lists the Types you are ALLOWED to use. "Banned" lists the types you CAN'T use.
So, your team must consist of Pokémon that match the types on the Era Types list. You can't use any other Types, unless they dual with a type on the list. And you CAN'T use dual-types that got a type on the allowed types list and one on the banned list.

For example, let's say you can use Bug Types, but can't use Fire types, but you recieve the Volcanora Egg. Volcanore is a Bug/Fire type so you aren't allowed to use that.
But, let's say you can use Bug Types, but there's nothing mentioned about Water Types. And you want to use Surskit. Surskit is a Bug/Water type so you can use that one.

So a Mandatory Pokémon can be a dual-type that's not allowed, such as Honchkrow which is Dark/Flying. (If you check the Mobster Mania, you'll see that Dark is allowed, Flying is banned, but Honchkrow is on the Mandatory list.)

It did and thanks for getting back to me with that said Ig I will go ahead and take on this challenge:

Name: GameMaster0015(New Youtube account I will be posting videos of this challenge on as well as other LPs I'm just using this old Pokecommunity Forums account cause I'm too lazy to make a new one)

Game: Emerald
Era: Stone Age

I can't post links yet so I can't put my channel here so just go search on Youtube GameMaster0015 if you want to see the videos of this challenge I will start recording videos of the challenge tomorrow
Old April 8th, 2013, 05:28 AM
Orianna
So strange, they scream.
Community Supporter

Planned out and started a new run last night o.o
here's my sign-up:

Username: KagamiChan
Game: Pokémon Crystal
Era: Time Rift

Here's my first Update too:
Spoiler:

Set my time to 1 hour before morning and the day to Monday.
Named myself Kyouki as always.
Chose Chikorita as my starter.
Did the whole beginning stuff.
Met and battled my Rival. Named him "???" since that's what he claimed his name was. >.>
Reached Violet City and ran to the Sprout Tower where I caught a Gastly.
Took on the Sprout Tower wit Gastly and used Chikorita against the HootHoots.
Went into the Ruins of Alph where I solved the first puzzle and got the first items.
Ran around like an idiot since I had 15 more minutes before morning.
Talked with every single NPC until it was finally morning.
Went into the Dark Cave and caught myself a Teddiursa.
Trained Teddiursa on the trainer I skipped and in the grass in front of Violet City.
Took on Falkner and his hacked Pidgeotto >.>
Taught Chikorita Flash (I hate using my poor Chibi as a HM slave x.x)
Am currently headed towards Azalea.

Badge Case:

Badge Rules:

Adopted the Medieval Era with its King Arthur Era Rule and chose Poison as the temporary Type.
Abiding to this rule, I caught an Ekans and named it Lancelot.

Current Team:

Main Team:

Nightmare

Level 13// Female
Hypnosis
Lick
Spite
Mean Look

Cuddles
Level 12// Female
Scratch
Leer
Lick

Temporary member:

Lancelot
Level 4// Female
Wrap
Leer

Last edited by Orianna; April 9th, 2013 at 03:12 AM.
Old April 8th, 2013, 05:49 PM
Happy Smiley Yum Yum

Quote:
Oh xD
You don't have to use all the Mandatory Pokémon.
I listed more than 1 in some cases because some people can't/ might not want to get a specific pokémon.
So just choose the one you like, but it has to be in your team when the challenge ends.

And by the way, the Mandatory for Hoenn for Renaissance changed from Milotic to Beautifly because Milotic is a pain to get and I have been told it kills the fun of the challenge.

That's excellent, because Beautifly was what I had in mind to replace it!

Also! I finished Jurrasic Jam today! At 0236 in the morning, on 9th April 2013, I beat Steven Stone in the Jurassic era! I'm now one down, and perhaps the next leap will be the leap home (bonus internets if you get the reference).

My remarks on my team:

Sceptile (Tokay) was loaded as a sweeper specifically for the E4. He knew Earthquake, Dragon Claw, Iron Tail and Leaf Blade. He was also my lead, and he tore through them fast.

Camerupt (Cling Film): A dark horse (camel?) in my team, I evolved him late, and I'm glad I did. Rock slide made a world of difference, especially against Glacia.

Cradily (Von Drak): I thought Cradily was excellent. He gave me a strong defensive base from which I poisoned Steven's Cradily, and then I stalled until Steven's had fainted.

Pelipper (Firmin Jr): I always thought they sucked. I was so, so wrong. With Ice Beam, Surf, Fly and Shock Wave, Pelipper dominated Glacia and Drake. She was a vital part of my team, and I'm grateful I chose her.

Gyarados (Madonna): I didn't use her a whole lot, but when I did her strong base of moves gave me a good advantage against the opponent.

Ludicolo (Xtina): An excellent stall, I ended up using him with 3 moves because I got rid of Dive ASAP and just forgot to teach him another. A key player, and Swift Swim is very, very useful.

I loved Jurassic Jam, and would recommend it to anyone, even if Flannery did make it murder.

I love the new formatting in the first post, and I love the new eras! Being from Bristol (the home of UK piracy) I feel really happy about the Golden Age of Piracy. And the Navy/Pirate rule is actually really, really cool.

So, Update 2.1

I began the game and chose Mudkip. It's a female Mudkip, so I nicknamed her Wheat, because there's a one eighth chance of it being a female, and huit is eight in French. My team will be Walrein, Swampert, Claydol, Flygon, Seaking and Tentacruel.

I'm in Petalburg woods now, grinding Mudkip to Marshtomp.

Last edited by Happy Smiley Yum Yum; April 8th, 2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old April 8th, 2013, 07:37 PM
joshbl56
Feeling better?

Hello again! I know I've already done this challenge twice (I should really just do an ultimate run instead of all of these single ones) but I'm gonna actually do the one I suggested:

Username: Joshbl56
Game: Red
Era: Progressive Era

Click on the picture to see the page for the challenge
Old April 9th, 2013, 03:00 AM
Orianna
So strange, they scream.
Community Supporter

2nd Update on my Time Rift:

Spoiler:
Trained Lancelot up to level 11
Battled my way to Azalea, also grinding my main team.
Did the whole Slowpoke Well bit.
Took on the Azalea Gym where Lancelot leveled up to 12.
Dropped Lancelot into the PC after the Gym battle then headed for Ilex Forest.
Got stopped by ??? and battled him, taking his Gastly out with my Gastly.
Caught a Caterpie in the forest.
Did the whole Farfetch'd bit.
Leveled Caterpie up to 10 and evolved it.
Taught Cuddles Headbutt.
Battled my way to Goldenrod.
Stopped in front of Goldenrod and grinded Nightmare and Cuddles to 20.
Went in the Underground Passage thingy to grab the Coin Case.
Isis, the Butterfree leveled up to like 13.
Went to the Game Corner and spent all my money on Game Corner Coins since I wasn't allowed to use any on any items due to the rule I adopted. Got 250 of them.
Played the slots for a long time and managed to get rows of 7 4 times, bringing myself up to 1400 coins.
Ran ALL the way back home to take money from Mom for the extra 100 coins.
Rushed back to Goldenrod and bought Wobbuffet and named her Derpina.
Took on the Gym, healing in-between each trainer via PokéCenter to preserve the little stash of potions that I had.
Took on Whitney with Derpina and Cuddles, but Derpina totally Countered the life out of Miltank, leveling up to 17 in the process, whilst Isis reached 14.
Healed at the PokéCenter and saved.

Badge Case:

Badge Rules:

Spoiler:
1st Badge: Adopted the Medieval Era with its King Arthur Era Rule and chose Poison as the temporary Type.
Abiding to this rule, I caught an Ekans and named it Lancelot.
2nd Badge: Adopted the Egyptian Era with its Slave Rule and chose Bug as my temporary type.
Abiding to this rule, I caught Caterpie and named it Isis.

3rd Badge: Not yet chosen.

Current Team:

Main Team:

Nightmare
Level 21// Female
Hypnosis
Lick
Spite
Night Shade

Cuddles

Level 20// Female
Scratch
Headbutt
Lick
Fury Swipes

Derpina
Level 17// Female
Counter
Mirror Coat
Safeguard
Destiny Bond

Temporary member:

To be caught.

Past temporary members:
Lancelot, Level 12, Female
Isis, Level 14, Female

Last edited by Orianna; April 9th, 2013 at 03:10 AM.
Old April 9th, 2013, 07:00 AM
14Henderson7
Poke'Maniac

Nature: Gentle
Sorry for the delay! Lost my DS charger but bought a new one last night, updates soon to come!!
Old April 9th, 2013, 11:18 PM
AngyMaster
Master

Hi I like to join
Username:Angy
Game:Emerald
Era:Jurassic Jam

Hi I started my journey and I chosed Mudkip I named him Solzy-Brave,Torrent.I trained for the battle with May.Level 7 enough beated May reached 5 pokeballs and catched a Wurmple-Male,Serious.I put him on the first place of party and trained him to level 7 and he evolved in guess what...a silcoon.I trained him to level 10 and he evolved in a super beautifly.I trained solzy at level 10 and go in petalburg woods.I battled with the team aqua grunt.I plant a berrie and battle with the others trainers on the street.Reached the first town,go to the gym and winning my first badge.And saved.
P.S.Caught a zigzagoon for pickup and a slave HM

Last edited by Jak; April 11th, 2013 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Please don't double post!
Old April 10th, 2013, 03:57 PM
AnjinMiura_PL
Challenger Extraordinaire (?)

Nature: Lonely
Sup guys. Feel like joining, if still possible. I've played (and completed, go me!) some challenges in a past, long time ago. Not to mention that me like writing some random stories about my challenge journey of journeyness, just to spice dem challenge up a bit.
Let's see what we can see then, shall we?

Username: Ober
Game: Crystal
Era: Medieval of course!

Now, two quick questions:

*As for obligatory Pkmn in my team - well, I can't get Scizor (trading),
Forretrees is...well, hehehe. It leaves me with Skarmory. But it appears that I can only catch dem Skarmory in last Johto route before moving to Kanto. Is it okay to fulfil dat requirement so late in a game?

*Arthurian names are optional, right? I mean, not like it's a requirement. I will use names connected to Medieval for sure, but not Arthurian for sure. I just don't feel like doing sou.

PS. I wanted to be pretentious like a Pretentious Man (TM) and use Comic Sans in that post, but...you've banned it? Ah, crap

Now...that's pretentious like wooah!

(don't mind me, I'm craaaazy!)
Old April 10th, 2013, 11:51 PM
AngyMaster
Master

Hi,I helped that devon guy and the old man wingull,I reached a letter from devon president and go for his favor.On sea to the first stop,I was goin to the gym battle with the trainers and poof,solzy evolves into marshtomp.I was goin much in front and battle with the gym leader,it was easy.I was goin to steve in the cave,no light i passed without light(not so hard)and find steve.I gave him the letter and go to the devon president for exp share.Battled with may and going to the slateport city,and saved.
Old April 11th, 2013, 12:02 AM
Orianna
So strange, they scream.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ober View Post
Now, two quick questions:

*As for obligatory Pkmn in my team - well, I can't get Scizor (trading), Forretrees is...well, hehehe. It leaves me with Skarmory. But it appears that I can only catch dem Skarmory in last Johto route before moving to Kanto. Is it okay to fulfil dat requirement so late in a game?

*Arthurian names are optional, right? I mean, not like it's a requirement. I will use names connected to Medieval for sure, but not Arthurian for sure. I just don't feel like doing sou.
yeah, it's alright to get the Mandatory Pokémon later in the game, as long as it's before the end-game. (I.E. Red in Johto)
And the Arthurian Rule is completely Optional o.o you don't have to use that rule if you don't want to.

Old April 11th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Koyan
Ghost/Dark Trainer

Nature: Careful
Update:

It's been a while! Sorry! I was busy with exams and such!

Current Pokemon:

Level 39 Absol, Nicknamed Anubis

Level 37 Unfezant, Nicknamed Nekhbet

Level 42 Umbreon, Nicknamed Khonsu

Level 47 Krookodile, nicknamed Sobek

Level 41 Cofagrigus, Nicknamed Osiris

Level 34 Liepard, Nicknamed Bastet

Badges Collected:

Basic Badge

Toxic Badge

Insect Badge

Bolt Badge

Quake Badge

Jet Badge

Current position:

Opelucid City, training for 7th gym encounter.
Old April 15th, 2013, 09:40 PM
Llan
Unhatched Egg

First non-introductory post and I'll decide I'll do a challenge

Username: Llan (Woops )
Game:
SoulSilver
Era:
Time Rift

I’ll add a rule that if a Pokemon faints during a Time Warp (Gym battles) that it shall be lost in time and put into a special box. (IDK why, it’ll add some flavor )

I shall use random.org to find out which era I’ll warp to, with their number being the number it is listed in. In Kanto I’ll restart the list.

Also, I'll flip a coin to choose between Wobbuffet and Girafarig.

Everything sound good ?
Old April 16th, 2013, 02:18 AM
AquaStorm
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Naughty
Username: AquaStorm
Game: Ruby
Era: Industrial

Also I have a question, if your Pokemon has a type on it's own era and has a banned on it too for example in Medieval, your Pokemon has Electric and Dark, can you still use it?

Last edited by AquaStorm; April 16th, 2013 at 02:39 AM. Reason: Double posting
Old April 16th, 2013, 03:14 AM
Rewy
untitled follower

Quote:

I think this should answer the above question.

I'm planning on joining to this again, with HeartGold and White2 this time, but I just don't know which eras yet, because trading in isn't allowed. *planning teams*

Wonder Wedlocke X - Mudkip + Slowpoke | Flaffy + Flabébé | Zorua + Gible
Old April 16th, 2013, 03:20 AM
AquaStorm
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Naughty
Oh thanks, well this challenge is really a challenge!
Hard to make a team with limited types.. ._.
Oh well, just have to enjoy it! :D
And thanks BTW
Old April 16th, 2013, 04:27 AM
Orianna
So strange, they scream.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewy View Post
I think this should answer the above question.

I'm planning on joining to this again, with HeartGold and White2 this time, but I just don't know which eras yet, because trading in isn't allowed. *planning teams*
Well, playing White2 gives you access to the dream thingy xD
Not sure how it works in B/W2 since I never got around to playing those.

Old April 16th, 2013, 07:33 AM
Dark Marik
The Ruler of All Doors!

It works the same in BW2 as it does in BW1. The only difference is that some things are not unlocked by default if you use BW2, mostly stuff that was added after the launch of DW.

Gonna try to get another chapter up soon since I have a lot of free time now.

"I shall henceforth be known as the Ruler of all Doors!"
Dark Marik
AKA NecrumWarrior

Trade Shop
Hidden Potential

Challenges
Vault Hunter's Challenge
Monotype Challenge

Breeding FC
2237-4962-6641

Events FC
2752-8806-1998