The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 4th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
A lot of people would argue that the games are easy, while others would argue that they are rather challenging. B2/W2 brought us some new tools: Easy and Challenge modes, to make the game easier or harder, respectively. Would you like to see these options brought back? Would you like the standard difficulty of the game to be harder/easier? Discuss!

I would just like to have the options for Easy and Challenge modes right from the beginning instead of having to unlock them, so I can play through the game at whatever difficulty I would like to. I mean, I would STILL probably play through normally first, but the option would be nice. In general I find Pokémon games to be in the middle of the road for difficulty, but I would just like the variety to be present!
Old March 4th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Yes, most definitely! n_n Having the games at a harder difficulty ultimately made things a lot more enjoyable! From what I've heard though, challenge mode wasn't too different from the original setting, only a few levels higher and that was about it. I'd like to see the AI have a bit more strategy in their battling as well, that'd make things a lot more fun.
Old March 4th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Lunar Crescent
I choose you pikachu!

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Lunar Crescent
I would like them to have more difficulties like B2/W2 had, that was great and the only improvement i could see with that is having the option to unlock it at the start of the game, not after finishing it.
Old March 4th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Darkrai Lv.1000
The Ultimate Dark Pokémon...

Send a message via AIM to Darkrai Lv.1000
If they'd give you the option of choosing the difficulty from the start, it'd be great. I didn't like that I had to beat the game first to unlock one mode, and then had to link with another person with the opposite game to get the other mode. I want a simple "Choose Your Difficulty" option from the get-go.
Old March 4th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
I think I've said this before, but, from the beginning, yes, I'd prefer a Easy, Normal, Hard, and Expert setting too, because y'know, I find pokemon games to be incredibly easy nowadays, even if it's in a generation with a set of new pokemon I haven't seen before; usually all I'd do is read them in the pokedex and come up with future strategies. ;_: Plus, the computer's AI of switching in pokemon after one of theirs is KO'd, kind of makes it obvious that they would send in a pokemon that counters mine. I kind of want a challenge mode that is beyond hard mode too, y'know? I mean, in B2W2, +5 levels and a higher AI... it still seemed a tad too easy. I'd like the AI to be even higher, with more levels (maybe like... 8 or 10 more?) With better items, better pokemon, etc. etc.

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old March 4th, 2013, 02:05 PM
IWearHatsIndoors
They're comfy and easy to wear

I think having a difficulty setting at the start of the game would be an awesome thing for most players but for me I don't think it would effect much. I consider myself a somewhat casual gamer and while I tried to complete B2/W2 on challenge mode... I found myself switching back to normal difficulty because I really disliked slowly grinding to get my Pokemon to a semi-competitive level against the trainers I was against. Making the trainers harder was nice though, but I really don't enjoy fighting considerably lower level Pokemon which give next to no exp to make it even.

However that's just me being selfish. I'm sure that the majority of the people on this forum would love a difficulty setting at the start, but I'm fine with whatever and would probably pick normal difficulty.

Last edited by IWearHatsIndoors; March 5th, 2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old March 4th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Azure
» Flame!
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Azure
I really enjoyed challenge mode in Black & White 2 so to have something similar carried over would be excellent.

Old March 4th, 2013, 04:36 PM
Castform

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Castform
I agree that we should be able to change the difficulty from the beginning. While I personally think that the games are getting more difficult I still want more of a challenge.
Old March 4th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

There really isn't a point of giving Pokemon a difficulty setting at all, because its difficulty curve depends on the Pokemon you're using, which is why the feature used in BW2 is pointless, since a lot of post-game material such as battle facilities are suppose to be hard mode. Extra Creditz has provided a good example on why Pokemon doesn't need to be harder than it is.
Old March 6th, 2013, 03:16 AM
Archeops12354
Smoochum

Hard mode in B2/W2 was still too easy, what I really want is for the AI to get smarter, come up with an actual strategy, only then will it be a proper challenge. :\

Gen 6.
Old March 6th, 2013, 04:34 AM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Give me Easy, Normal Hard, and hell even go the extra mile and give us a hyper-real mode. I would love if they give us a difficulty that enforces rules upon the gyms, gives them closing times and what not, and perhaps even trainer battles in the routes that you would need to battle at an exact time or else you forfeit the battle. I just see Pokemon as the one game that can gain something from a difficulty setting that enforces a stricter discipline model.
Old March 6th, 2013, 04:50 AM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
I would like an Easy, Normal, Hard and Expert difficulty as well. I think for older players, it is just way to easy now for us. On expert, the Pokémon's levels don't even have to be any higher, they could just have better movesets and items. Also higher AI across the board.
Old March 6th, 2013, 07:06 AM
Forever
let it go

Kind of wanting just a middle ground. Easy's great, and hard's hard but I think if it's middle ground then generally it's not going to involve it being too easy to grind for, or too hard to train for ;_; Also keys were dumb let's unlock from the start as said. n_n
Old March 6th, 2013, 07:38 AM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Suggested difficulty levels: Easy, Normal, Hard, Chzllenging, and "Don't Select This, You Won't Finish The Game".

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old March 6th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Killjoy
"He was a laser fish."

Nature: Quiet
I'd love to see them all available from the start. Frankly the thought having to unlock easy mode by playing a more difficult mode is one of the silliest things I've heard in a while, almost as silly have having the two modes exclusive to one version of the game.

I wanna play hard mode, but I have W2. That means I gotta go buy B2, Play it again in normal mode, and then unlock hard mode to be imported to W2. By then, I'm sure I'll still wanna give it a try, but not as much as if I had just been able to play hard mode from the start
Old March 6th, 2013, 10:38 AM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killjoy View Post
I'd love to see them all available from the start. Frankly the thought having to unlock easy mode by playing a more difficult mode is one of the silliest things I've heard in a while, almost as silly have having the two modes exclusive to one version of the game.

I wanna play hard mode, but I have W2. That means I gotta go buy B2, Play it again in normal mode, and then unlock hard mode to be imported to W2. By then, I'm sure I'll still wanna give it a try, but not as much as if I had just been able to play hard mode from the start
I agree it's silly to unlock an easier mode of play.

Meanwhile, having hard mode available from the start would have been nice. I mean, question: are we going to lose all of our existing Pokémon if we start a Hard Mode game? I don't really wanna do that, so Hard Mode doesn't benefit me any at this stage.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old March 6th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Diversity Pumpkin
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Serious
Meh. The game is better with a harder difficulty.
Old March 6th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneGU View Post
I agree it's silly to unlock an easier mode of play.

Meanwhile, having hard mode available from the start would have been nice. I mean, question: are we going to lose all of our existing Pokémon if we start a Hard Mode game? I don't really wanna do that, so Hard Mode doesn't benefit me any at this stage.

Cyclone
That brings up an interesting point in itself: Would having a save file for each difficulty level be a plausible thing? But that strays away from the main point of the thread =P

General consensus seems to be have them available from the start, which I definitely agree with. I understand using them as incentive to play through the games, but it's be a nice addition just to have them.
Old March 9th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archeops12354 View Post
Hard mode in B2/W2 was still too easy, what I really want is for the AI to get smarter, come up with an actual strategy, only then will it be a proper challenge. :\
Actually, the AI levels in B2W2 do increase when playing under Challenge Mode. If they increased it just a bit more, however, I wouldn't complain. Also, giving the Pokémon of more prominent NPC's 31 IVs all around like they did with Cynthia would be a nice increase in challenge as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake♫ View Post
That brings up an interesting point in itself: Would having a save file for each difficulty level be a plausible thing? But that strays away from the main point of the thread =P
I wouldn't call it plausible as much as I would call it unnecessary.

Taking the majority's side here, I would also like for level of difficulty to be an option given at the start of the game rather than something that's unlocked near the end. While it may give one the incentive to play again, it's rather silly to ask a player to do. Especially in the case of White 2 where they give you an Easy Mode instead. Like, who wants to do that?
Old March 9th, 2013, 04:05 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
Quote:
Taking the majority's side here, I would also like for level of difficulty to be an option given at the start of the game rather than something that's unlocked near the end. While it may give one the incentive to play again, it's rather silly to ask a player to do. Especially in the case of White 2 where they give you an Easy Mode instead. Like, who wants to do that?
Agreed. I understand wanting to promote local wifi connection stuff, but it's not good for those people who don't have it available and stuff like level difficulty should really just be an option from the get-go.

I would like for a multiple-save file deal but I don't see it happening.

Sheep in the Big City: General Specific
Old March 9th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Pinkie-Dawn
I Am Become Death

Seriously guys, have you not payed attention to my post? There really isn't a need for a difficulty setting in a Pokemon game at all; that's why we have post-game material, and that's why Nuzlocke Challenges exist. It's meant to be a simple game for everyone of all ages. Extra Creditz has provided a better explanation about why the difficulty setting in BW2 was unnecessary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWFzF...Uydg&index=114

Pokemon X and Y shouldn't be blindly regarded as bad just because of the lack of a difficulty setting. It's like complaining about the Gamecube lack of backwards compatibility with NES games.
Old March 9th, 2013, 07:47 PM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post
Seriously guys, have you not payed attention to my post? There really isn't a need for a difficulty setting in a Pokemon game at all; that's why we have post-game material, and that's why Nuzlocke Challenges exist. It's meant to be a simple game for everyone of all ages. Extra Creditz has provided a better explanation about why the difficulty setting in BW2 was unnecessary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWFzF...Uydg&index=114

Pokemon X and Y shouldn't be blindly regarded as bad just because of the lack of a difficulty setting. It's like complaining about the Gamecube lack of backwards compatibility with NES games.
Even so, we don't know that they're not going to have a difficulty setting. Because hey it turns out it could happen and everyone wins except those who don't want one.
Old March 10th, 2013, 03:51 AM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
Of course there's no need, just like there's no need for auto-sort features in the bag, or pokemon following you in the overworld, etc. Doesn't mean that people out there wouldn't appreciate it though, and given it has happened in b2w2 they're not too unlikely.

Doesn't for instance change this:
Quote:
It's meant to be a simple game for everyone of all ages.
Anyone can play it as they want regardless of there being an option for difficulty or not. Some people want less simple, so offering another way isn't bad of Game Freak to do here, or leastways I don't follow why it is.

Of course, X&Y shouldn't be badly regarded for not having it either as one can always make their own difficulty if they want in how they play. But I didn't think that was happening here...yet anyways. =p

Sheep in the Big City: General Specific
Old March 10th, 2013, 03:53 AM
Mr. Downstairs
Community Supporter

I didn't use them. I want a challenging game right from the start. Making the game too easy makes the game boring. I'd like at least DPPt difficulty in these games. Any less would be a disappointment.
Old March 10th, 2013, 03:51 PM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie-Dawn View Post

Well, hey, I didn't get to reply to you earlier, but, you know what, you make a very fair point! Perhaps there really is no need for a difficulty setting because of the material provided in games?

But, I'd just like to consider this; what if the post game material was harder? In addition, the Challenges that you see have no barring on the actual game itself; we don't have an option to choose a "nuzlock" setting or something like that in the actual game, y'know? The are to kind of rules that we've made and follow ourselves in our own risks. There can be a lot of material in harder modes that you don't see in easier modes, such as better movesets, or just better and more EV'd efficient pokemon in general, or hey, maybe a storyline that has a plot that is harder to come by? So, I'm just saying, perhaps the difficulty can play more of a role than just an average playthrough?

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links