The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Fan Clubs & Groups

Notices

Fan Clubs & Groups Fan Clubs & Groups are places to go to find like-minded members and talk about similar interests. Join or create a club here if it doesn't fit in any of the other sections.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 26th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

Nature: Relaxed

Advertise here
I was pleased with the special. I was kind of dreading it because there was a lot of fuss over whether or not it would be a love letter to the series as a whole or just the '05 reboot (or even just Moffat's run from 11 onwards). I'm not very well-versed in Classic Who but I did still recognize a lot of references and since I set my bar pretty low, I was really entertained the whole way through.

Spoiler:
I'm still a little confused as to how the plot of the 50th fits in with the rest of the series... I've mostly got it down but the part that confuses me greatly is how The End of Time fits in now? I'll have to rewatch it but I feel like a lot of what happens in it doesn't make sense anymore if Gallifrey is only hidden instead of being Time Locked in the War. :s

I was also a little disappointed that The Moment chose Rose's face? I'm not a huge fan of Rose so I wasn't disappointed that she came back but I felt like it was really pointless to have her there. I think it would have been more interesting if she was Rose. I'd feel better if it had been Bad Wolf!Rose going back and trying to save the Doctor from the decision she knew he'd regret. Otherwise I just felt like she and John Hurt had no real chemistry? I didn't feel like there was much reason for the Moment to take on that appearance. But maybe I'm just whining because I think it would have been way funnier if it had taken on Donna's appearance and mannerisms instead hahaha.

Complaints aside, I did really enjoy watching it! I was so happy to see Tennant back in the role. He's my Doctor so I was just grinning every time he was on screen. I really liked the dynamics of the three Doctors they showed. I looooved Hurt judging Tennant and Smith's Doctors for being so "childish" and I laughed out loud at Tennant being all "............I have no idea where he comes up with this stuff" to the timey-wimey reference. (And I also lost it at them finally realizing they could run the door analysis through their Screwdrivers for hundreds of years... only for Clara to waltz in and show them the door was unlocked. LOL.)

I don't even know if it made sense but AHHH I LOVED THE SCENE WHEN ALL THE DOCTORS COME TO HELP. It was so cool! I was grinning so wide the whole time and the noise I let out when the war council corrected to "No, all thirteen!" and we got the glimpse of the next Doctor? Ahhhhh that was really cool.

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of what I've seen of Four but my jaw dropped at the end when Tom Baker showed up. :D I can't imagine what that moment must have been like for bigger or older fans of the series.

I had tickets to see it in 3D last night but I ended up downloading the episode and watching it on Saturday ahead of time because aaahhh no way was I gonna avoid the internet for two whole days so I wouldn't get spoilt. Seeing it in theatres was really cool though! The crowd was (almost) the nicest I'd ever seen in a theatre. Everyone squished right in from the start so everyone got as good a seat as they could possibly get and there were lots of cosplays. The only problem with seeing it in theatre with a bunch of huge fans was that sometimes the laughter and clapping made it hard to make out what what was being said on screen... so I'm glad that was my second viewing. :P

*forcibly drags herself away from computer so she'll stop rambling*

previously known as lightning.
tumblrtwitter

Old November 27th, 2013, 07:29 AM
WhiteKnightL

Nature: Calm
As I mentioned, I read up on it and something came to mind.

Spoiler:
If all this time Gallifrey was just hidden and not Time Locked, does that mean that we can expect The Master to come back? And not just him but Rassilon too? Unless there is something I missed after Tenth's last episode, there's a good chance they could be thrown in to face The Doctor again if he ever finds Gallifrey again.....and I'm certain he will.

"You lot. You spend all your time thinking about dying. Like you're going to get killed by eggs or beef or global warming or asteroids. But you never take the time to imagine the impossible. That maybe you survive." -The Ninth Doctor

I'm a Catholic Whovian who loves to watch anime and read manga, discovering my faith while still trying to to enjoy the things I love. Feel free to PM me for questions or just to chat!

Black 2 file
Palom
FC: 3483 3007 8236
Feel free to add me to trade and/or battle! Could really use some friends in BW2!

Poetry thread (please check it out!): http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=310154

My trade thread: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=307887
Old November 27th, 2013, 12:09 PM
DavidtheDeadPhilosopher

Nature: Modest
I saw it in theaters and I was enjoying every single minute!

@Cherrim
Spoiler:
Ok, so The End of Time is happening almost at the same time, if not slightly earlier, then the 50th anniversary in Galifrey's point of view. However, it's happening in two entirely different parts of Galifrey, and being controlled by two different powers of Galifrey. The End of Time was in the Citidal and was the plan of the High Counsel, While the 50th took place on Arcadia, the second largest city of Galifrey, and was mainly under power from the War Counsel. They even made a breif mention to the End of Time, stating that the High Counsel had their own plans, and if memory serves me right, they also stated that it already failed, or was fruitless (I'll fact check later).

So basicly End of Time happens before Day of the Doctor, but in the same day, and that's only from Galifrey's perspective. From the Ten's Doctors perspective, he experiences Day of the Doctor, and then goes immediately to The End of Time (However he doesn't remember the events from Day of the Doctor.)
Old November 27th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidtheDeadPhilosopher View Post

@Cherrim
Spoiler:
Ok, so The End of Time is happening almost at the same time, if not slightly earlier, then the 50th anniversary in Galifrey's point of view. However, it's happening in two entirely different parts of Galifrey, and being controlled by two different powers of Galifrey. The End of Time was in the Citidal and was the plan of the High Counsel, While the 50th took place on Arcadia, the second largest city of Galifrey, and was mainly under power from the War Counsel. They even made a breif mention to the End of Time, stating that the High Counsel had their own plans, and if memory serves me right, they also stated that it already failed, or was fruitless (I'll fact check later).

So basicly End of Time happens before Day of the Doctor, but in the same day, and that's only from Galifrey's perspective. From the Ten's Doctors perspective, he experiences Day of the Doctor, and then goes immediately to The End of Time (However he doesn't remember the events from Day of the Doctor.)
Spoiler:
Yeah, I caught the reference to it so I was pleased they didn't totally handwave it but what I meant when I said I wasn't sure how it fit in was all the times they didn't mention it.

The 50th kind of treated the decision to use The Moment like it was just for the sake of ending the war. The Doctor was tired of fighting and there was no end in sight and using it would cease all the suffering and ensure the war wouldn't spread any more. This was further cemented by the secondary plot of the special "resolving" by having the humans and the Zygons do their perfect treaty, which I assume is what we were meant to think should have resolved the Time War. But it's not like the Moment was used only because the Time Lords were losing and the Daleks were such a threat. It wasn't used because talks were breaking down or negotiations weren't working properly. It was used because there was no other choice since Rassilon went crazy and negotiatons were impossible. (As I said, I really need to rewatch this for details, haha.)

I guess maybe "hiding" Gallifrey or locking it in a painting is functionally the same as Time-Locking that whole section of the war, so them breaking out in the End of Time still makes sense but the fact that none of the Doctors in the special ever mention this BIG reason to use the Moment instead of looking into other options didn't really sit well with me. :( Ten might not have known what Rassilon was truly up to until the End of Time takes place but Eleven certainly should have remembered why it was so necessary to use the Moment.

I have no problem with reopening that plot strand so we can get the Master back and actually deal with Rassilon instead of just time locking them (I believe that was their fate?), but I think it's something that should have been sort of addressed in SOME way in the special. At least one of those Doctors should have remembered why Gallifrey being ~somewhere out there~ isn't necessarily a good thing. D:

Apologies if a lot of that didn't make sense. I'm really rusty on my DW timeline and I'm not sure I was able to explain myself very well regardless. ;~;'

tumblrtwitter

Old November 27th, 2013, 01:44 PM
Esper

I watched the episode with a bunch of people and we were all really unsure exactly what the timeline was or is now, or really what the Time War is or was or where or where is happened (happens?). Very confusing.

Spoiler:
Basically all I'm fairly sure is that Gallifrey is no longer lost and we'll get to have new adventures that involve other time lords. That's good enough for me. I'd love to see them brought back.

I was pretty pleased and surprised to see Tom Baker show up there at the end. I don't know how that's supposed to work with everything we know about Doctor Who. I mean... he regenerated and isn't that supposed to be the end of that Doctor? Why is he older now? (I mean, yes, obviously the actor is older and no amount of makeup would help that.)

deviantart blog pair
Old November 27th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Sopheria
Your Favorite Senpai
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
It was so good! Day of the Doctor completely defied my expectations. So powerful, and epic, and I have a new found respect for Clara (which I already had a ton of to begin with). It's like she was born to be the Doctor's companion.

Spoiler:
And I'm so happy for The Doctor. He's no longer the wanderer or the renegade. He finally has a goal in his life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnightL View Post
As I mentioned, I read up on it and something came to mind.

Spoiler:
If all this time Gallifrey was just hidden and not Time Locked, does that mean that we can expect The Master to come back? And not just him but Rassilon too? Unless there is something I missed after Tenth's last episode, there's a good chance they could be thrown in to face The Doctor again if he ever finds Gallifrey again.....and I'm certain he will.
Spoiler:
Not the Master. He wasn't at Gallifrey on the last day of the Time War. He ran away when the Dalek Emperor took control of the Cruciform. The Rassilon could very well come back though. I've always seen the fact that they were just time-locked rather than defeated as kind of a loose end. This is Time Lords, weren't talking about. They found a way out once, they could surely do it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esper View Post
I watched the episode with a bunch of people and we were all really unsure exactly what the timeline was or is now, or really what the Time War is or was or where or where is happened (happens?). Very confusing.

Spoiler:

I was pretty pleased and surprised to see Tom Baker show up there at the end. I don't know how that's supposed to work with everything we know about Doctor Who. I mean... he regenerated and isn't that supposed to be the end of that Doctor? Why is he older now? (I mean, yes, obviously the actor is older and no amount of makeup would help that.)
Spoiler:
I thought that was confusing too. But one thing about the Doctor Who Universe, is that they have a record of shamelessly recycling actors to play completely different characters. Freema Agyeman played an extra who died in Doomsday (Adeola), only to come back as a companion to the Doctor in the very next episode (Martha Jones). And the guy who's going to be the 12th Doctor played Caecilius in The Fires of Pompeii, and John Frobisher in The Children of Earth. So it's very likely that this is just one of those "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" things.
Old November 27th, 2013, 03:44 PM
Esper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zomgitscathy View Post
Spoiler:
I thought that was confusing too. But one thing about the Doctor Who Universe, is that they have a record of shamelessly recycling actors to play completely different characters. Freema Agyeman played an extra who died in Doomsday (Adeola), only to come back as a companion to the Doctor in the very next episode (Martha Jones). And the guy who's going to be the 12th Doctor played Caecilius in The Fires of Pompeii, and John Frobisher in The Children of Earth. So it's very likely that this is just one of those "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" things.
That's a good point. I hadn't thought about that.

Spoiler:
It's just that he was so very much the 4th Doctor with his intense eyes and rambling. He really felt just like the 4th Doctor.

I heard there was an audio drama made for the 50th anniversary that has Doctors 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 so maybe that ties in and helps explain things more.

deviantart blog pair
Old November 27th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

Spoiler:
I'd easily buy the whole "reusing actors and not mentioning it" thing except the conversation implies that's not the case, imo. Baker's character clearly knows more than a simple curator should about the painting and its meaning (and what the Doctor is supposed to go do) and the part that really stands out:

[Eleven turns and sees him] "I never forget a face."
"I know you don't, and in years to come you may find yourself revisiting a few."

To me that implies that eventually, the Doctor learns how to control regeneration so well that he can take on the appearance of any of his old bodies. I dunno, exactly, but every line of the conversation just oozes the idea that Baker's character is the Doctor and I don't think it makes any sense if you try to view it another way.

tumblrtwitter

Old November 30th, 2013, 04:09 PM
The Doctor
I've got new kidneys!
Community Supporter

Location: The planet Gallifrey in the constellation of Kasterborous
Nature: Adamant
Hello.

I'm The Doctor.

basically.

run.

Spoiler:
sup I did not know about this club. My favourite Doctor is Paul McGann ( dear god I love him to bits ), my favourite episode I think is the Eleventh Hour.

IGN: Adam
Old December 1st, 2013, 12:21 AM
The Mighty Kamina
Paragon of Masculinity

Nature: Impish
Send a message via Skype™ to The Mighty Kamina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherrim View Post
Spoiler:
I'd easily buy the whole "reusing actors and not mentioning it" thing except the conversation implies that's not the case, imo. Baker's character clearly knows more than a simple curator should about the painting and its meaning (and what the Doctor is supposed to go do) and the part that really stands out:

[Eleven turns and sees him] "I never forget a face."
"I know you don't, and in years to come you may find yourself revisiting a few."

To me that implies that eventually, the Doctor learns how to control regeneration so well that he can take on the appearance of any of his old bodies. I dunno, exactly, but every line of the conversation just oozes the idea that Baker's character is the Doctor and I don't think it makes any sense if you try to view it another way.
Spoiler:
I came away with a different interpretation of that scene. I didn't see the curator as a regeneration shifter, but simply as a future incarnation of the Doctor that has retired from adventuring and revisited his old idea that he could be a curator. Yes, that would mean Tom Baker played two separate incarnations of the Doctor, but hey, I'm not objecting to more Baker!

Also, I'd like to join!

Username: The Mighty Kamina
Favorite Doctor: 11 (Matt Smith)
Favorite Companion: Ace
Old December 1st, 2013, 04:50 AM
The Doctor
I've got new kidneys!
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mighty Kamina View Post
Spoiler:
I came away with a different interpretation of that scene. I didn't see the curator as a regeneration shifter, but simply as a future incarnation of the Doctor that has retired from adventuring and revisited his old idea that he could be a curator. Yes, that would mean Tom Baker played two separate incarnations of the Doctor, but hey, I'm not objecting to more Baker!

Spoiler:
I came away with it being that Tom Baker was a retired version of The Doctor and he changed his name to The Curator. He definately knew who the Doctor was at any rate.

Old December 1st, 2013, 09:17 PM
Tlachtli
Crit happens.

Nature: Modest
Hey, there's a club! Neat! I'm a fan of the 2005 series but I haven't seen the older episodes, so there are 8 whole doctors I'm not familiar with (yet).

Username: Tlachtli
Favorite Doctor: 10 (David Tennant)
Favorite Companion: Rory (Amy too, but mostly Rory)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidtheDeadPhilosopher View Post

@Cherrim
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
This was basically my take on it. I didn't really think much about it, I just assumed Day of the Doctor happened after they tried (and failed) the plan from End of Time. Since the Moment is what ultimately destroys/saves the planet, it would make sense for it to be the very last thing to happen on Galifrey.

Here's what really bugged me though--if John Hurt was supposed to be the incarnation between Eight and Nine, then why did the Moment appear to him as Rose? The whole Bad Wolf thing had no real meaning to him, because it hadn't happened for him yet and wouldn't happen until after he regenerated into Nine.

A Gen 3 remake de-make, (soon to be) featuring many Gen VI mechanics
Old December 3rd, 2013, 02:37 PM
The Doctor
I've got new kidneys!
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlachtli View Post
Hey, there's a club! Neat! I'm a fan of the 2005 series but I haven't seen the older episodes, so there are 8 whole doctors I'm not familiar with (yet).

Username: Tlachtli
Favorite Doctor: 10 (David Tennant)
Favorite Companion: Rory (Amy too, but mostly Rory)

Spoiler:
This was basically my take on it. I didn't really think much about it, I just assumed Day of the Doctor happened after they tried (and failed) the plan from End of Time. Since the Moment is what ultimately destroys/saves the planet, it would make sense for it to be the very last thing to happen on Galifrey.

Here's what really bugged me though--if John Hurt was supposed to be the incarnation between Eight and Nine, then why did the Moment appear to him as Rose? The whole Bad Wolf thing had no real meaning to him, because it hadn't happened for him yet and wouldn't happen until after he regenerated into Nine.
Spoiler:
Right you need to go back and watch it since you clearly weren't listening. The Moment appears to 8.5 as Rose because she says that she gets past and future mixed up, meaning it didnt know where Rose appeared in his timeline. Also, DotD happens after the Voyage of the Damned but before End of Time. These made so much sense to me I don't understand how people don't get that

Old December 9th, 2013, 09:20 AM
WhiteKnightL

So, who can't wait for the Christmas special?

Spoiler:
Personally, I can't imagine the Silence, Daleks, and Cybermen all in one episode. We already know what happens when you pit the Daleks and the Cybermen with each other. And as we all know, this is Matt Smith's last episode as The Doctor. It'll be sad to see him go.

What do you expect Peter Capaldi's Doctor to be like? I expect him to be a little darker than his past incarnations though probably less than Eccleston. And I can see him gaze through his wardrobe when he changes - he'll probably hate most of his outfits, spot some Roman garbs and ponder for a bit before moving on to the next one. After all, he was in the Tennant episode "Fires of Pompeii."

"You lot. You spend all your time thinking about dying. Like you're going to get killed by eggs or beef or global warming or asteroids. But you never take the time to imagine the impossible. That maybe you survive." -The Ninth Doctor

I'm a Catholic Whovian who loves to watch anime and read manga, discovering my faith while still trying to to enjoy the things I love. Feel free to PM me for questions or just to chat!

Black 2 file
Palom
Feel free to add me to trade and/or battle! Could really use some friends in BW2!

Poetry thread (please check it out!): http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=310154

Old December 9th, 2013, 03:33 PM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Wait, somehow this thread is still alive after 10 months of my absence? You know what, I'm not even annoyed, just purely amazed. Will update with all new members, sorry for the poor caretaking!
Old December 9th, 2013, 05:50 PM
The Mighty Kamina
Paragon of Masculinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnightL View Post
So, who can't wait for the Christmas special?

Spoiler:
Personally, I can't imagine the Silence, Daleks, and Cybermen all in one episode. We already know what happens when you pit the Daleks and the Cybermen with each other. And as we all know, this is Matt Smith's last episode as The Doctor. It'll be sad to see him go.

What do you expect Peter Capaldi's Doctor to be like? I expect him to be a little darker than his past incarnations though probably less than Eccleston. And I can see him gaze through his wardrobe when he changes - he'll probably hate most of his outfits, spot some Roman garbs and ponder for a bit before moving on to the next one. After all, he was in the Tennant episode "Fires of Pompeii."
Spoiler:
Don't forget about the Angels, the episode seems to insinuate at least one will be involved. I imagine the Silence will recruit some unaffiliated Cybermen and Daleks for the mission of exterminating the Doctor, but as for the Angel, I have no idea, since it seems impossible to plot with them for anything.

Correct me if I'm wrong though, but isn't this the first encounter 11 has had with the Daleks since he was wiped from their memory banks?
Old December 9th, 2013, 06:33 PM
countryemo
The Day I've been running from
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to countryemo
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
Spoiler:
Also, DotD happens after the Voyage of the Damned but before End of Time. These made so much sense to me I don't understand how people don't get that
Spoiler:
Day of the Doctor takes place during the End of Time, but its before the end of time at David Tennants view point.

I really liked the Special. I don't see the point in talking in spoilers anymore? I guess new fans still come on.
While I do love Smith as my favorite Doctor I can't wait for the new direction that Moffat and Capaldi will bring the show. We already got a hint of it with Hurts' character.

As for the Christmas special,
Spoiler:
It looks like its going to be really dark with a huge war. Its going to feature the Silence, Weeping Angels, Daleks, Cybermen (Wooden Cybermen) And possibly Sontarans (Their ship is in the sky). The sky looks like the ships in the Pandorica Opens. Theres a young version of Madam Kavarian?
Looks like Moffat is wrapping Matt all up before Capadli.

Also Moffat says Matt's the last Doctor but in DotD when Capadi shows up the timelords say all 13. Meaning Capaldi is the last. MOFFAT!

Old December 9th, 2013, 06:56 PM
The Mighty Kamina
Paragon of Masculinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryemo View Post
Spoiler:
Also Moffat says Matt's the last Doctor but in DotD when Capadi shows up the timelords say all 13. Meaning Capaldi is the last. MOFFAT!
Spoiler:
I'm certain there's going to be some finangling about the Doctor's regenerations in the episode. I'm assuming he's going to do something to get more regenerations, or perhaps River's exhausted regenerations will be cited.
Old December 11th, 2013, 06:18 PM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

[SPOILER]Something tells me its got to do with the fact that Galifrey is not actually gone, but really in hiding. I mean the time lords might have realized what happened, and either gave him an extension, or the huge history detour did something with the time streams. Factor in the silence and Trenzalore next ep and I think we have a plot stewing![SPOILER]
Just saw the 50th special. My god, what an episode.
Old December 16th, 2013, 11:23 AM
WhiteKnightL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil View Post
Wait, somehow this thread is still alive after 10 months of my absence? You know what, I'm not even annoyed, just purely amazed. Will update with all new members, sorry for the poor caretaking!
Just update your first post and add us all in it x3 Would love to put this club as my first one on my profile..

Black 2 file
Palom

Old December 16th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

All new(really old :p) members added to the first post! Let me say an official welcome to all who love who, and may our thread endure the test of time!
Old December 17th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Christopher
Hear Me Roar
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
Username: Christopher
Favorite Doctor: 11th
Favorite Companion: Rose

Figured I'd go ahead and join, I'd seen the link but was afraid to join because of spoilers, I haven't seen Day of the Doctor yet. (Damn cable company)
Old December 17th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Evil Stud Muffin
I like kitties
Community Supporter

Haha, don't worry Chris, as you can tell we're spoiler conscious in here. And welcome to the club by the way!
Old December 17th, 2013, 11:34 PM
xVaporeon
"Okay?" "Okay."

Application Form-
Username:
xVaporeon
Favorite Doctor: 10th
Favorite Companion: Donna.. oh god that episode still brings back memories D:

userbar shop
credit

friend code: 1907-9622-5659
Old December 18th, 2013, 07:16 AM
WhiteKnightL

Hello, Chris. Nice sig, btw. Just don't stare at it too much or it might become real .____________.

Black 2 file
Palom

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here