Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y
Reload this Page "....."

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in one of the newer installments of the core Pokémon series.

Old March 7th, 2013 (06:20 AM).
flight
soaring
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
I remember bringing up this discussion at one point in the X/Y General Chat thread, but throughout the Pokemon generations, our main character has been the silent type. Of course, it was made to represent us, as we travel through our Pokemon journey, and make the decisions that we do.

My question do you all is this: Would it be better if the main character would at least say a few words? Despite how impersonal it might come off, would it be better for dialogue's sake or at least be intriguing if they can hold a conversation of some sort? What would it be like if our main protagonist could speak, and if they could, would you like them to have dialogue, and if so, what kind? Would you like for them to have a fixed personality, or would you like them to have a set of choices of what to say, kind of like in Animal Crossing?

Discuss~!

go ahead. fly. take flight. no one can tell you otherwise, right?
VMPM
Old March 7th, 2013 (06:30 AM).
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

My response: "..."

The main character never says anything in a lot of games, and I don't see them changing this. Heck, in hacks, when the main character is made to say something in dialogue, it just confuses me until I realize that hey, that's ME talking.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old March 7th, 2013 (07:39 AM).
C Payne
Hoenn in 3D!
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Calm
I wish we could at least be given a choice what to say, even if it is only a few times throughout the game, like specific choices.

I find it fun being a silent, mysterious protagonist but realistically I think I'd be more like Blue if I were given the chance, haha.

Source: http://pokemon-diamond.deviantart.com/art/Hoenn-BW-styled-map-251951922
Old March 7th, 2013 (07:42 AM).
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I don't see this ever happening in a Pokémon game honestly. They like to tell the story how it's going to happen, while you just sit back there and enjoy the ride. They won't give dialogue options because they don't want you to respond in a way that could potentially change the story (even though they chould just say screw it and on on with it anyways, but then continuity is broken and that's no fun).
Old March 7th, 2013 (08:15 AM).
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
Well, truth be told, would it really kill the protagonist to at least say a phrase of some sort? I mean, sure, the protagonist is a representation of ourselves; he/she are naturally quiet, because we ourselves don't really know what to say when it comes to becoming a new pokemon trainer, or exploring a world that we have not set for anymore, but honestly, it'd be nice if the protagonist has a few things to say here and there. It doesn't have to be much, just... maybe a "hi, how are you doing?" or something.

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old March 7th, 2013 (09:13 AM).
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by Miss Doronjo:
Well, truth be told, would it really kill the protagonist to at least say a phrase of some sort? I mean, sure, the protagonist is a representation of ourselves; he/she are naturally quiet, because we ourselves don't really know what to say when it comes to becoming a new pokemon trainer, or exploring a world that we have not set for anymore, but honestly, it'd be nice if the protagonist has a few things to say here and there. It doesn't have to be much, just... maybe a "hi, how are you doing?" or something.
I suppose minor dialogue like that that doesn't really have any bearing on anything important wouldn't be awful. I guess actually personifying your character so they actually have a personality would be a new thing for the games to tackle, compared to a silent hero that you have no idea what they are actually like. Even little things like greetings would make them much more human than some hero teenager that the games make them always seem like.
Old March 7th, 2013 (09:22 AM).
Correspondence

Well the protagonists in pokemon games haven't really said anything except yes or no and i don't think i'd want that to change. unless of course they had some witty wiseass comment to say.
Old March 7th, 2013 (10:28 AM).
Sabrewulf238

Nature: Jolly
I think if our characters said something we should be able to choose the dialogue ourselves.

I don't think game freak would be willing to go down that route though.
Old March 7th, 2013 (01:39 PM).
Yamiidenryuu

I kind of liked what they did in the MD games, where the protagonist had their own internal monologue, but it was left up to the player to decide exactly what they said. But in that case, the character actually had something to really think about, with the whole amnesia and being turned into a Pokemon thing. It might not work as well if the PC is like the usual ones in terms of backstory and the like.

Cheren Comic is a comic about Cheren! Go read it.
Old March 7th, 2013 (01:59 PM).
Castform
The Weather Pokemon

Nature: Modest
I am indifferent on this. While I think a little dialogue from the protagonist would be nice it just might be a little odd if they spoke too much.
[14:31] @Christοs: my dream gf is a female zeffy
[11:37] srinator: i sent shirtless piks to some random old girl yesterday after gym :<
Team Orb

Old March 7th, 2013 (02:00 PM).
Shiny Celebi
Donator Tier 3
Community Supporter Tier 3

I dont see it happening. I dont think it would be so bad to have the character say a small phrase, but I dont see them ever including the feature.The protagonists in the games are made to be silent.I dont think the developers dont want the characters to speak for the person playing, though if we could choose some sort of responce there would be less worry about this.
Old March 7th, 2013 (08:27 PM).
roosterman
Freaking annoying!

Nature: Brave
i'm for having multiple options, i'd really like some that actually affect later gameplay. kind of like how you could get latios or latias except more like the mystery dungeon quizzes then flat out asking them what they want. maybe have that be how you get your starter.

pokemon black 2 friend code: 1979 8164 1100
my best battle video: 72-38989-76548. tell me your thoughts!
"Believe it or not, angels crap much more than other beings. Ever wonder why the phrase "holy crap" is so popular?" -macomuu
Old March 7th, 2013 (08:30 PM).
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by roosterman:
i'm for having multiple options, i'd really like some that actually affect later gameplay. kind of like how you could get latios or latias except more like the mystery dungeon quizzes then flat out asking them what they want. maybe have that be how you get your starter.
I think for things like that I could see dialogue options being useful. When it comes to the actual storyline of the game though I just don't see it happening.
Old March 10th, 2013 (08:19 PM).
Forever
let it go

It'd add a new realm to Pokemon but I reallyyyy don't see it happening. :( Pokemon likes to remove the right of free speech ;_;
Old March 11th, 2013 (07:16 AM).
flight
soaring
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Answering my own thread!

It was forever ago that I've always wanted the main protagonist to say something. Of course, I was stuck between a rock and a hard place, because the main protagonist not having dialogue of any sort would retain the whole "you're the protagonist" feeling, whilst having dialogue would actually give said character a personality, but it would remove that feeling that associates you with the main character, so there's quite a bit to lose and quite a bit to gain (depending on your perspective here).

Buuuut ultimately, I don't think it'll do too much harm to at least give him/her a few more choices in options just for personality's sake, y'know? I've played Pokemon to a point where I don't really mind if they change the character's dialogue options, or give him a few words to say, things of that nature.

go ahead. fly. take flight. no one can tell you otherwise, right?
VMPM
Old March 11th, 2013 (11:01 AM).
Thingula
How do you change this text?

As soon as I saw the tread title, I thought you were talking about this. I understand why he doesn't talk, but it always annoyed me a bit. It forces awkward conversations by making the NPC repeat what your character should have just said.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links