The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 9th, 2013, 08:11 PM
Forever
let it go

Advertise here
So the old thread died out, and there's a few people that might not have got the chance to answer, or changed their minds! I also want to ask some additional questions this time, too. :)

So what do you want to name yourself and why? What do you think of being able to change your name mid-way through? Or maybe even going by a nickname (say I chose Nica as nickname) and someone calling you your official name (being Forever) on important matters? Do you think the letter limit for names needs extending?? Give any other name-related thoughts gogo!
Old March 9th, 2013, 08:25 PM
hughes

Nature: Quirky
You know, I always thought the old limits for names were too short. I think I'm going to choose the same name I have in Black 2 which is Vash. But I think the idea of going by different nicknames during the course of the game is interesting, too. I definitely agree that it would seem more official to have a full name and then go by a nickname during the non-important aspects of the game. It seems so weird that once you beat the Elite 4 you just go by a first name.

3DS FC: 5000 2479 0671 (Vash - Y)(Kara - X)
Friend Safari: Growlithe, Slugma, Fletchinder
My Trade Shop: Amestris Trade Shop & Breeding Services
My Pokemon Tumblr: http://lumiosecafe.tumblr.com/
Old March 9th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Ephemeral Euphoria
Devil In Exile

Nature: Quiet
I'll most likely call myself Terra again since the name more or less stuck with me when doing new runs on a Pokemon game after White. I may change it to something along the lines of Agni later on if I had the opportunity but that would depend if I ever grew tired of using Terra as a name at some point.

Nickname wise I'd probably go with just Taer or something similar since I always preferred my nicknames to be shortened abbreviations and relatively simple.

Or if any of my friends uses a similar name on any of their runs I can always just call myself Bix Nood and call it a day lol.

One piece at a time.
Old March 9th, 2013, 08:47 PM
.Aero
Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
I started calling my character Aero ever since I started Pearl because I didn't want my real name getting around as the OT and such. Now I just do it regularly.

Now I'll probably go with Zayn though. ;]
Old March 9th, 2013, 08:52 PM
Hikamaru
I won't look back
Community Supporter

I was always annoyed by the 7 character limit for Trainer names, so glad my name barely fits the limit. One more letter and I may have had to adopt an alternate name to use.

As for changing names halfway through, I guess it would be alright if you have a nickname or something. But I'll still use Nichole as my Trainer name, cos that's my real name!

paired with AWsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | twl | profile | supporter

Old March 9th, 2013, 08:58 PM
Jak
i'll let you have it

Nature: Timid
I wish they'd raise the character limit. Especially in these days when parents give their kids weird long names like Sharquesha and Prince Michael Jr. Anyway, if I play as the female, I'll name her Allison or Alli. Male will probably be Mark, Nick, Wyatt, or any male name I'm interested in at the time I start the game. The male protag doesn't look much different from Hilbert and Nate though, so I doubt I'll even use him.

Changing your name mid-game seems really, really weird. I can see it being a post-game feature, but not something right in the middle of the game. It'd be useful for if your game is a storage game and you do your trading and breeding there and want your name to be better for it, but changing it in the middle would be a bit strange imo.

Into the room, I know you want it
Bang bang, all over you, I'll let you have it
Wait a minute, let me take you there
Old March 9th, 2013, 09:28 PM
Autumn Reverie
wibbly wobbly... timey wimey... stuff.

Nature: Relaxed
I think the character length is alright, but they could probably increase it a little to accommodate for longer names. I think going by one name throughout the game is more than enough. It might get a little confusing if NPCs started calling you by different names. Changing your name midway? Well, you can't change your own real name midway of your life unless you're a criminal on the run, no? Hahaha. xD I'll probably name my character after my real name, or by the character's official name. I might try going with other names though.

pairs | twitter | showdown | pc family
Old March 9th, 2013, 11:30 PM
Student D1
De-Wott?

Location: It's where the sun rises, but it's smaller than Japan.
Nature: Docile
Send a message via Skype™ to Student D1
Well, my name is perfectly fit for both Japanese and English versions, since my real first name is just 5 letters. However, ever since I created my username, I tend to name myself Student instead, and I find it fine. That way, I don't get to reveal my real name, but just my alias. :D (And by the way, if ever I play the female, merely for fun and other stuff, I might name her Stella. Why? ...I dunno, I just like it. xD)

It would be all right though if they raised the character limit, for other people's sake. There are people who have longer names and it would unfortunate if they won't be able to enter it due to the small character limit.

As for nicknames, I suppose that is okay for me; but than changing our names mid-game, how 'bout at the starting? I mean like, we will insert the Trainer Name we want [e.g. Student], and then we'll be asked if we want to have a nickname; if so, then that's the time we can enter our nickname [e.g. Stu]. That way, we have our real name, that can be used in the Hall of Fame or other important matters as mentioned, and we have our nickname, where our rival, other main characters and various NPCs will call you by that.

Profile | PM | Intro Thread | PokéSpe | White 2 FC
Old March 10th, 2013, 12:42 AM
Rivvon
Unburden Belly Drum
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Being able to go by a nickname (similar to what was done in B2W2's Join Avenue) would be a neat feature. It would be cool for some characters to refer to you by your nickname while others use your "real" name (like a childhood friend/rival vs a Gym Leader). As for what I'd name my character, still my real name. It would be great to see the character limit extended, though!
Old March 10th, 2013, 02:53 AM
Kyrul
Long Live The Note
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
I would prefer it to let us use our full names. But I don't really see their current system changing anytime soon. So I'll just go with my usual name "Brenden". Because that is my rl name, and if I use my real name then it makes me feel like 'Hey, I'm apart of this world! I'm a real pokemon trainer now!' Only until I defeat the Elite 4 and realize that the whole experience was only just a game and fall into a state of depression once I realize the real world is boring.

So yep. Naming him 'Brenden'.
Old March 10th, 2013, 03:55 AM
Mr. Downstairs
Community Supporter

I'm naming myself Dominic, because I always do.
Old March 10th, 2013, 03:58 AM
Mithel_Celestia
Alluring Illusion

Nature: Modest
traditionally, I'll use the name Myth every first game of the generation.

Trainer Data:
Full Name: Mithel "Myth" Celestia
Hometown: Lacunosa Town
Trainer class: Ranger, Psychic, Deceiver*
Specializes in: Dark, Psychic-Types

*Deceiver (Japanese: 奇術師 Illusionist) is a type of trainer class who specializes in Illusions and deceptive tactics to take advantage of their opponents. They are tricksters and tend to disguise themselves as another trainer class to deceive challenging trainers, but soon break off of it as soon as they are found. They tend to use annoyer and stall tactics such as Embargo and Swagger along with bulky and fast Dark-types like Zoroark and Umbreon to give trainers a hard time during battle.
Old March 10th, 2013, 04:08 AM
Nintendork15
I'm gone. Bye.

Nature: Naughty
'Varion'
It's pretty much my current online name.
Old March 10th, 2013, 04:22 AM
Kurapika
Grudgebearer

Kura, because I can't use Kurapika nor Kurapikachu... -__-'
I just hope they would extend the characters limit.
Changing the name mid-game sounds silly...
The possibility to have a nickname sounds nice, you could have the name go with the OT stuff and the nickname be the way (most) NPCs address to you.
Old March 10th, 2013, 04:32 AM
Talli
Prince of the Ninja tribe

I think this time I will name myself Talli because that's my online name. Why would want to change name half way though your journey ? to be honest it sounds weird to change a name half way though a journey. Nickname thoughs sound cool
Old March 10th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I'd definitely like to see the character limit for names be extended. I mean, Pokémon nicknames are 10 characters, why can't our names be 10 characters as well? As far as changing your name midway through, I think that's just weird, but I guess the nickname sense from Join Avenue being integrated into the regular game would be cool.
Old March 10th, 2013, 05:37 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
I'll either name myself "Aeris" (after my character in B2W2, I believe), or something else. Generally, I'm not too fond of re-using names, and I'd like to be original, so I'll most likely be picking something new.

And I'd love for there to be an option to change your name, although it might be a bit strange. :x Consistency is a point here, it'd be weird if, at one half of the game, you're referred to as Brian (for example), and the other half, you're known as Jerry. It just doesn't exactly feel right.

The only thing I'd really be happy for is the availability to use katakana in the English versions, but that won't really happen. xD; I just love seeing katakana names! Other than that, extending the limit for names is definitely useful, especially for those who prefer long names, or want to name themselves after a character and their name is too long, etc. I've had that moment way too many times. u_u
Old March 10th, 2013, 10:22 PM
Caelus
Gone

I'll either use my real name (Kevin) or use whatever their official name is.
Old March 11th, 2013, 03:34 AM
Forever
let it go

I'd love to be able to have an alternate nickname, which is why I mentioned it :3 When we're about to face the legendaries we'd be called our official name, which wouldn't be too hard to implement imo. Also what if we got a specific colour set for each time our character speaks or is referenced?? WOULDN'T THAT BE AMAZING? :)

Also ya imma be Forever in-game.
Old March 11th, 2013, 04:19 AM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Yeah there should probably be a way to add your first and last name too, and maybe implement a nickname? Well, there are last names in pokemon, so, it'd be fun to have. Anyway, I have a bunch of names in mind, but, I think I'll name myself Aryll? Or like maybe Aryll "Teapot" Yamato... or something like that.

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old March 11th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Having a last name in there would actually be pretty cool. Maybe Gym Leaders and the Elite Four would refer to you by your full name, while other characters would just refer to you as your first? If setting a nickname was a possibility maybe your family and rival would call you by that instead?
Old April 2nd, 2013, 08:51 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
I like the idea of having a last name in the games. I don't really see the need for having a nickname though. It just seems redundant when you can use your nickname as your "official name" if that's what you want them to call you. Despite the fact that I can't fit my full first name in the limited number of character space they give you, I've always preferred to use my nickname, Shivi, for my protagonist.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 10:45 AM
Schwan
Frontier Brain

Nature: Relaxed
Normally it's Gram - a short for my middle name Graeme. I'm thinking about a new name I could use though.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 11:35 AM
Rixe
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Careful
I've never been able to use my real name - it's 9 letters long and extremely common. It's just as well that I've started within the past few years to always play as a boy (the girls just look like they'd be freezing and I can't deal with that). In Black I was named Black, funnily enough. In Y I may carry that on.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 12:21 PM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

Nature: Gentle
If I feel like being unoriginal I'll call myself Tara. If I feel like being creative then I would then be likely to call myself something else. What that something else would be though I won't be sure until I actually get a hold of one of the games.

I've never had many nicknames in my life so I don't see the appeal of having a nickname personally. Though I suppose it would be an interesting feature for those who do have nicknames and depending on who you're talking do it varies.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here