The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 11th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
The Pokemon X and Y games are sure to target new younger and older audiences, in which from various pokemon games, there are tutorial systems to help them out. But, what about veteran audiences? You know, the people who have played pokemon games since the late 1990s?

Yes, it stands to reason that these games should also target new audiences, who don't really know how to play pokemon as well, but, bare with me for a second and look at it from another side: don't veteran pokemon fans already know how to catch a pokemon, how to battle pokemon, and pretty much anything that has to do with pokemon in general? Even when they've completed pokemon games, these veterans, or just people who completed pokemon games in general, still have to go over the tutorials, even if they've already completed pokemon games over, and over again. Except for certain things that might be changed of course, like how a Pokemon Center or a Pokemon Mart would look like.

So, what I'm asking here is, how do you think the tutorial system play out in X&Y? Should there be an option to skip over the tutorials completely for veterans?

Or, could there be another way to view the tutorials, other than playing it through the main story of the games? For example, in FR/LG there's teach T.V, where you can go over basic stuff in the pokemon game, like catching pokemon, how to battle, etc. There's even an help mode, where you can go over basic materials in pokemon.

Do you have any other thoughts on this?

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old March 11th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.

Nature: Gentle
Honestly, I love FR/LG's system of tutorials! I feel that a lot more people (at least, I think) are more visually inclined and learn better when things are actually demonstrated, rather than just pages of text like what you see in most Pokemon games nowadays. .___. I feel that, at least for the younger viewers, something visual-based would keep them more engaged in learning about the aspects of Pokemon rather than reading, which I think would become boring after a while, but that's just me.

In any case, as far as the veterans are concerned, I do agree that there should be a method to skip the tutorials. It doesn't bother me too much because I normally just rapidly press A anyway (hoping for it to be over lmao), but that would definitely be a nice addition, nonetheless~
Old March 11th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Jake♫
« Allons-y »

Nature: Lax
Derk beat me to it. I think having the Teachy TV was one of the best ways to introduce tutorials. It kept capturing Pokémon mandatory to view (which it probably should continue being, as new players could get confused by that and they should be told how to do it), while the rest of them were totally optional. It was pretty much the best of both worlds for new players and old players alike.

I just don't want my hand held TOO much as we're playing through these games, as it just makes me feel like I'm not doing any of the work anymore. Having optional tutorials while keeping the ones that are absolutely necessary for gameplay required to view just seems like the best bet to me.

Old March 11th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
I always prefer a good visual tutorial than just reading logs of dialogue. Except it tends to get a bid tiresome on later replays. That's why the Teachy TV, as mentioned already, was such a great tutorial device in FireRed and LeafGreen that I wouldn't mind seeing again. So long as there aren't a lot of tutorials as there appears to be in B2W2 though, then we're all good.

It would be nice if they were optional though...
Old March 11th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Thingula
How do you change this text?

I'm sure it's going to be like just about all the others. Your first hour is spent going back and forth, learning how to battle, learning what Pokeballs do and how to use them, learning how to use a potion, wondering when you'll finally get your running shoes, then backtracking to your starter town because someone forgot to give you a map of the region.
Old March 11th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Umbr30n
Laggity Laggity Flash Crash!

Sigh... Fire Red and Leaf Green... They had such a good way of using tutorials... But alas, even they made "How to catch a Pokémon" mandatory. As for Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, seriously, WHAT THE HELL, you could catch Pokémon before you were even taught (Yes, you could actually buy Poké Balls in the Poké Mart before the tutorial, making catching Pokémon before tutorials possible). That was so annoying. If you could catch Pokémon before you were taught, there is no need for a tutorial at all.

So yeah, Fire Red and Leaf Green had some pretty good mechanics... Which should actually return again, but this time actually not to make the Pokémon Catching Tutorials mandatory at all. After all, it wouldn't hurt to bring back an old mechanic which was made almost a decade ago, so why not? It may also get more veteran players to play the games. But if they do use the same technique they use usually, my main say is: Do NOT make Poké Balls accessible before their own tutorials.
Old March 11th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Darkrai Lv.1000
The Ultimate Dark Pokémon...

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via AIM to Darkrai Lv.1000
I'd like the catching tutorial to be like Gold/Silver/Crystal: The dude comes up to you and asks you if you want to know, and it's possible to decline the offer. This makes it completely optional. I'm not sure if they made that part mandatory in HG/SS, but this is the best way to implement it. New players can learn how to catch Pokemon, and veterans don't have to sit through something they've already known how to do since the good old days.
Old March 11th, 2013, 05:25 PM
Paradise3
Unhatched Egg

I don't mind the FRLG style of tutorials and help but...

Please please please don't bring it back to the L/R buttons. Put it all on the Teachy TV-like item. It was kinda annoying when I accidentally hit L or R. lol

I think everything needs to be optional though, well, I guess except the things specifically new to Gen 6.
Old March 11th, 2013, 09:33 PM
CycloneGU
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbr30n View Post
Sigh... Fire Red and Leaf Green... They had such a good way of using tutorials... But alas, even they made "How to catch a Pokémon" mandatory. As for Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, seriously, WHAT THE HELL, you could catch Pokémon before you were even taught (Yes, you could actually buy Poké Balls in the Poké Mart before the tutorial, making catching Pokémon before tutorials possible). That was so annoying. If you could catch Pokémon before you were taught, there is no need for a tutorial at all.
You know what? I remember that. I pulled out a ROM version with visions of doing a playthrough (ATM I haven't tried out my video and voice recording together, but have posted some Youtube entries of other screengrabs recently), got my team up to each of the unique Pokémon available, and then moved to the newest Route...and was taught how to catch a Pokémon. I had a full party (or at least five). I mean, come on, dummy; I know what I'm doing. (BTW, in Emerald, you "learn" via teaching Wally how to catch a Pokémon as well; you've already gone through Routes 101, 103, and 102 by then before meeting the character's Dad, Norman, from which the tutorial stems. I am unsure if you can buy Pokéballs before this event, however.)

But yeah, I can see why that tutorial is mandatory. If someone new skips it, that's a very important thing they can't redo, plus in most games it's the only tutorial needing to use the battle system. Thus, they make sure it's covered. I don't think there would be a problem with "Do you want to skip this tutorial?" followed by an "Are you sure?" confirmation, but that's me.

Cyclone

Pokémon Black - National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012
- My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada is still in Unova. I will be cloning it and importing a number of clones into Kalos for anyone interested. DW females may also be available if I have them.

Pokémon SoulSilver FC: 4943 2589 0519
Pokémon Black FC: 2538-0207-3336
Pokémon White 2 FC: 1335-5830-8725

Also playing Pokémon Light Platinum. Currently in Snowce City.
Old March 12th, 2013, 03:51 AM
ChaosBringer41

Please God, not more tedious tutorials. I get rather annoyed (not the words that first came to mind, but anyway) when I have to go through how-to-catch-a-Pokemon and other tutorials.

Okay, the newcomers may need to know this stuff (unless they've looked it up on the internet before getting the game).

Having said that, there should be a question like "Have you played games in the Pokemon series before?" when you set up your character. This could set a flag so that the tutorials are automatically skipped. Probably won't happen, though.
Old March 12th, 2013, 03:59 AM
Diversion
Mega Aerodactyl.

Nature: Serious
Meh.. Just give them a Teachy TV or something. Then we won't go through all that I again.
Arceus christ, just waiting for that tutorial to finish takes like 6 hours to me.
Old March 12th, 2013, 04:08 AM
Seki
You idiot!

Nature: Jolly
This tutorials are annoying and I bet I spent like 24 hours of my life watching that already. Nevertheless, Nintendo and Game Freak are going to troll me and put that tutorial thing because there might be new people who are new to the series but at the same time, they still want to troll people like me, who have been playing the series for like about 10 years already.

VM | PM | MyAnimeList | Theme | Pairs | Previously
Old March 12th, 2013, 04:10 AM
Hikamaru
The Aqua Mouse Pokémon

I remember playing LeafGreen briefly and saw the whole Teachy TV thing. I'd really want to see it make a return someday, and hopefully X and Y might be a good time to bring it back.

Tbh the usual catching tutorials which involve an NPC catching a Pokemon were just so long and boring. Or else I'd like to see an optional catching tutorial like in Gold/Silver/Crystal.

Crystal Supporter Hikamaru

"The fur on its body naturally repels water. It can stay dry, even when it plays in the water."

Marill

Old March 12th, 2013, 04:38 AM
ZetaZaku
AEUG Pilot

Why not just write it in the manual? If kids can play the game, they probably know how to read.

PM for Happy Hour Smeagles
Old March 12th, 2013, 05:26 AM
CycloneGU
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetaZaku View Post
Why not just write it in the manual? If kids can play the game, they probably know how to read.
Manual?

(This is meant as a joke, I know they still produce these. The note is that PC games don't often, or they're on the CD-ROM.)

Cyclone

Pokémon Black - National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012
- My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada is still in Unova. I will be cloning it and importing a number of clones into Kalos for anyone interested. DW females may also be available if I have them.

Pokémon SoulSilver FC: 4943 2589 0519
Pokémon Black FC: 2538-0207-3336
Pokémon White 2 FC: 1335-5830-8725

Also playing Pokémon Light Platinum. Currently in Snowce City.
Old March 12th, 2013, 08:20 AM
Jake♫
« Allons-y »

The problem with only putting it in the manual is that people aren't guaranteed to read it. They'd prefer (I'd imagine) that the new players know for a fact how to do things like catch Pokémon, and by putting it in-game instead of the literature in the box it's guaranteed that the players will have less confusion of how to play.

Old March 12th, 2013, 06:42 PM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

I figured people might be reluctant to read the text bits that's in the beginning of LG/FR, where it just explains information about pokemon in general, as well as in Gen 4, where'd they have to select an option to tell them about how to play pokemon, etc. So, maybe a tutorial in-game seems like the easiest way to learn, hence why I was thinking that maybe there can be an option to skip it if you've played with pokemon mechanics already, or if you've beaten the game.

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old March 12th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Jake♫
« Allons-y »

If there was a variable for the game to store if you've completed the game already, therefore turning off the tutorials, that'd I would actually love. It'd be pretty much as simple as turning a false variable to true for the tutorials, so I don't think that'd be too hard to implement. But yeah, with the text intro for DPP I'm pretty sure 99% of people just skipped right through it =x

Old March 12th, 2013, 08:56 PM
Paradise3
Unhatched Egg

Here's an idea. Have a character (maybe the professor or your rival or whoever) tell you early in the story, "You can log onto your PC and watch tutorial videos on everything you need to know."

So that way, it's right in the game itself, new players will know exactly where to look since they're told, and veteran players only have to sit through maybe 2 lines of extra text, which is nothing compared to a whole big long tutorial. It'd be nice if the PC did real-life-PC-like things like showing videos. I'm sure it couldn't be that hard to code in...
Old March 12th, 2013, 08:58 PM
Jake♫
« Allons-y »

The problem with that is even with it there, how many people are really going to go look at them? Game Freak and Nintendo can't guarantee anyone will look at them, so it's still easier for them to put a mandatory "this is how you catch a Pokémon!" tutorial that lasts a few minutes so they can make sure no one gets too confused.

That's not to say I don't like that idea, because I'd actually prefer it =P

Old March 13th, 2013, 01:14 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori

Nature: Calm
I think the easiest solution to this would be this...
Title screen with Professor: Before we ask about your gender, I need to ask you something... Is this your first time playing Pokemon?
If you answer with yes, you get tutorials, if no, tutorial game dialogues will change to something like "You seem to be experienced trainer, I have nothing to teach you.".
It wouldn't require that much of a programming and it would be great compromise between new generation of players and us, veterans.
Old March 13th, 2013, 06:07 AM
ZetaZaku
AEUG Pilot

I don't recall the game forcing you to watch a stranger catch a Pokemon in Gen I. Why not just make it optional? A simple "Hey my little child, do you know how to catch a Pokemon?" Yes/No. Problem solved, no?

PM for Happy Hour Smeagles
Old March 13th, 2013, 09:31 AM
roosterman
Freaking annoying!

Nature: Brave
have a help menu where it has all the basic things explained. that really would've helped me out when i first started. anyone here played mario and luigi: bowser's inside story? kind of like the item practice menu in that.

pokemon black 2 friend code: 1979 8164 1100
my best battle video: 72-38989-76548. tell me your thoughts!
"Believe it or not, angels crap much more than other beings. Ever wonder why the phrase "holy crap" is so popular?" -macomuu
Old March 14th, 2013, 02:47 AM
Student D1
De-Wott?

Location: It's where the sun rises, but it's smaller than Japan.
Nature: Docile
Send a message via Skype™ to Student D1
I wish they could make the tutorials optional this time. Not everyone needs to review once more 'bout it, but there are still novice trainers who wants to play the newer versions but still need to learn the basic 101 in the world of Pokémon. However, tutorials doesn't always target to new players; it also targets at old players, giving us a recap of things even if we may already know it.

But anyways, I really liked the Teachy TV key item in FireRed and LeafGreen, though! It felt more entertaining than the rest of the tutorials in other versions, since it feels like you're watching a show , and it was more quicker to understand, in my opinion. Not only does it have a catching tutorial, it also have different tutorials in other matters. I wish they reintroduce it; it'd be fun watching the tutorials this time.

Profile | PM | Intro Thread | PokéSpe | White 2 FC
Old March 14th, 2013, 03:53 AM
Forever

I am sick of the tutorials lol. I'd just like some other way to get them, like Right click or Left click...? Like back in the original days! Some of us have played for way too long and they have to start thinking about us by not having annoying tutorials ;_;

hi, i am an ex-pc mod.
i used to mod black and white / fifth generation forums.

MOST IMPORTANTLY I LOVE FRIZY AND I SHALL FOREVER <3

i'm now battle server higher staff here, and i used to mod the main pokemon showdown server.
i'm also a moderator on smogon!
~ pumpka
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links