Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y
Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 18th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle

Advertise here
Where you can catch bugs to your heart's content! In Gold and Silver as well as HG/SS, the Bug Catching Contest was a loved feature (although it was probably forgotten, sadly), allowing you to catch as many bug types as possible to show off for the grand prize. Your goal in this contest is to catch either a Scyther or a Pinsir, at least for a -good- shot at first place.

If I'm correct, I believe the goal here is to catch the strongest bug types? But yeah.

Would any of you like to see the Bug Catching Contest make a return? If so, what changes would you like to see to it? I was thinking perhaps there would be contests similar to this one, like catching rare fire-types, water types and the like, and it would rotate daily, pretty much. Would you like it to be this way? Discuss it all~!

Last edited by Zorua; March 18th, 2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old March 18th, 2013, 09:17 AM
Zorogami
WUB WUB
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Zorogami
I really didn't care much for the bug catching contest tbh. I've never been a huge fun of the type (besides Scyther) and didn't enjoy the contest, but that's just me.
It would be cool though if they took the concept and made it into a "who can catch the biggest x" kinda thing, where the pokemon that needs to be caught changes every day.

~ Anything for my Nakama ~
Old March 18th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Khrysta

Send a message via Skype™ to Khrysta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
Where you can catch bugs to your heart's content! In Gold and Silver as well as HG/SS, the Bug Catching Contest was a loved feature (although it was probably forgotten, sadly), allowing you to catch as many bug types as possible to show off for the grand prize. Your goal in this contest is to catch either a Scyther or a Pinsir, at least for a surefire shot in first place.

If I'm correct, I believe the goal here is to catch the strongest bug types? But yeah.

Would any of you like to see the Bug Catching Contest make a return? If so, what changes would you like to see to it? I was thinking perhaps there would be contests similar to this one, like catching rare fire-types, water types and the like, and it would rotate daily, pretty much. Would you like it to be this way? Discuss it all~!
Scyther and Pinsir weren't surefire wins XD

I caught both and didn't even place before. First place can also be a Caterpie. The scoring was based on IVs and health that Pokemon had left.

As for Bug Catching Contest...in G/S/C it was just a replacement for the Safari Zone. HG/SS they readded the Safari Zone so it was just a small thing to earn the evolutionary stones. It really wasn't that great a gimmick. And it was reused in D/P/Pt with their transfer system.

Honestly I'd rather have a normal Safari Zone. Maybe they can mix them together and do a Safari hunt and give each Pokemon caught a specific amount of points that can be used for Wifi Competitions. Like a score board to see who has caught the best Pokemon through their Safari Game.

I dunno if we'll get one though since they fully removed in in Gen 5. =C
Old March 18th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Sora
The Keyblade Pokémon

Let's have a fishing contest. Best Water Pokemon you catch wins.

I'm pretty sure I am in the minority when I say that I am one of the few who enjoyed the Bug Catching Contest, even if it was just a replacement for the Safari Zone or a little add-on. In general, I feel like that is something that Fifth Generation lacked: a small game that you could catch Pokemon without having to use something like the Dream World. That said, I would love to see some sort of thing in Sixth Generation. Something like the Safari Zone again, or a contest or something that is different from your normal Pokemon Catching (another reason why White Forest doesn't count).
Old March 18th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Nauje
Hmm.
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I did love the Bug Catching Contest, although probably more because it was the only chance to catch a Scyher or a Pinsir aha

I was wondering what was missing in Gen 5; I really do hope the Safari Zone comes back in X and Y, like someone else said they were at least another way to catch a Pokemon without having to do it the normal way and so kept things interesting.
Paired with gimmiepie.
Old March 18th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryPeaches View Post
Let's have a fishing contest. Best Water Pokemon you catch wins.

I'm pretty sure I am in the minority when I say that I am one of the few who enjoyed the Bug Catching Contest, even if it was just a replacement for the Safari Zone or a little add-on. In general, I feel like that is something that Fifth Generation lacked: a small game that you could catch Pokemon without having to use something like the Dream World. That said, I would love to see some sort of thing in Sixth Generation. Something like the Safari Zone again, or a contest or something that is different from your normal Pokemon Catching (another reason why White Forest doesn't count).
I was always under the impression that the Bug Catching Contest was favored by most fans. Nevertheless, I would like to see something similar to it return. If not a Bug Catching Contest, then a Fishing Contest as you suggested. Actually, I'm rather excited for the idea of having a fishing contest. Not holding out hope, but I hope it happens!

PS. Let's keep discussion about the Safari Zone in The Safari Zone thread.
Old March 18th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I definitely loved the Bug Catching Contest. It was a nice alternative to have for the Safari Zone (even though I still prefer that to the BCC), and it was always a challenge trying to get first place for that darned Sun Stone. As much as I'd love to see it come back, I honestly would rather go without it if it meant having less Bug types than we did the previous generation. You need to have Bugs to have the contest, and honestly they just get to the point of being way too much.
Old March 19th, 2013, 05:56 AM
Powalen
the Dark Sovereign

I really liked this feature and always would participate if possible. I would like for it to make a return, but maybe feature a bigger area and offer more Pokemon as well as methods to attract them(maybe making it more safari zone ish). Also maybe letting you catch 3 or so Pokemon instead of 1 and then letting you make your decision at the end. As for the prizes maybe offer more prizes, but evolutionary stones are decent prizes so I am ok with that.

"By force of will!"
Old March 19th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Daydream
Spider-Man
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I always loved the Bug Catching contest. I loved the element of having to play on a certain day to get to participate; it felt more... realistic? I'm in agreement that it's not necessarily a Bug Catching Contest that should return, but some sort of similar Pokémon catching contest would be cool. Maybe the type of Pokémon you're trying to catch could change with the season? There could be different catching contests placed around the region, too. Maybe even add some WiFi/Wireless playability to it?
Whatever a spider can.
Old March 19th, 2013, 02:58 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

For myself, I'd love it if the Bug Catching Contest would make a return! Maybe spice it up a bit, and add in the Fishing Contest as well! As I mentioned in the OP, it'd be pretty cool if it would rotate daily, starting with Bugs, and then have a fishing contest, and then have something where you could catch birds...though I'm not sure how that would work out. xD;
Old March 22nd, 2013, 03:40 PM
Guy
just a guy

Since the idea of a fishing contest was brought up, what about something centered around Flying Pokémon? Maybe incorporating smaller planes and catching Pokémon from the sky as some form of competition? I know it's reaching and probably would never actually happen, but the idea itself sounds intriguing.

Honestly, if one tried, they could probably think up seventeen different field catching competitions similar to the Bug Catching Competition; one for each type.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 08:11 PM
Forever
let it go

Flying! I think flying would definitely be appreciated because after the taste in Unova, people just... want more air-time, so a flying event with catching flying mons is totally likely (although that would involve GF being really creative imo).
I'm paired with and in love with Frizy ♥
Old March 23rd, 2013, 04:52 AM
Guy
just a guy

I just realized little planes wouldn't be necessary as they could instead allow the player to use a partner Flying-type Pokémon to take them up in the air instead, similar to how we were only allowed to use one Pokémon in the Bug Catching Contest.

Agreed on GameFreak having to be really creative with this idea. Haha!
Old March 23rd, 2013, 05:34 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
The Bug-Catching contest in HG/SS was fun, so I wouldn't mind if it did make a comeback in X/Y.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here