The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > General Chat
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chat Reporting for duty!

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #3276    
Old April 11th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Echidna's Avatar
Echidna
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vaniville Town
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodex View Post
I dunno, the Harry Potter series seemed so overhyped, looking back.

She was much better in Perks.
I don't think I like you anymore. :p

The Harry Potter series was not over-hyped. The books were brilliant, the movies were amazing, overall building up to the most successful franchise in the history of ever.

J.K. Rowling took a pen and paper and created a whole new world. Not an east feat if you ask me.
__________________






  #3277    
Old April 11th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Dakota's Avatar
Dakota
ignore the whisper
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York City
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Dakota
I feel like some of the charm died off after the original actor for Dumbledore passed away after the second film. He was amazing, the new dude just sucked.
  #3278    
Old April 11th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Ryoutarou
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
I loved the Harry Potter series because there was such a fun cast of characters. Even people in the extended cast who weren't major players felt like they were these real people who contributed to the world they were in.

Though I do think the books are pretty over hyped, I don't really care too much? It's great to see people excited about books, especially younger people. (and fairly decent books at that)

(also, drat! totally missed the Avatar talk!)
  #3279    
Old April 11th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Crux's Avatar
Crux
Evermore
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: 青い世界
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Crux
@Dipu:
I'm really not sure whether to take that as a complement, or what...
I'm older, but always seem younger on the internet for some reason.

Meh, the first couple of Harry Potter movies were okay, but I lost interest around number four.
Guys... don't hate me, but I haven't even seen Perks of Being a Wallflower. :s
__________________





{Never and Forever}

Tees | Coming Soon | Coming Soon
  #3280    
Old April 11th, 2013, 06:50 PM
Shiny Celebi
Donator Tier 3
Community Supporter Tier 3
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Internet
Oh man I love Harry Potter. I dont think the books were overhyped, I view them all as being very good. I enjoyed the movies too, though the earlier ones were better IMO
__________________
BMGf Ever Grande City
  #3281    
Old April 11th, 2013, 06:53 PM
LilJz's Avatar
LilJz
This is how we do!
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canada
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
The original actor who died was pretty sad indeed but Michael Gambon was a GREAT Dumbledore also. The movies are great, just like the books. The thing that I wanted to see in the movies that was only in the books, was Peeves. The mischievous ghost, his character was amazing in the books.
__________________
♥Plusle bro of Autumn Reverie♥ | ♥Pink Mommy, Autumn Reverie, Kanzler, Macarous & Apollo♥
|3DS FC|
  #3282    
Old April 11th, 2013, 06:56 PM
⊗Slenderman⊗'s Avatar
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Gender: Female
Nature: Quiet
Quote:
I haven't even seen Perks of Being a Wallflower. :s
You aren't alone, my friend. X} I haven't seen it, either- and don't plan to.

I've never cared about anything pertaining to harry potter. T: Never read the books or seen the movies. If I remember correctly, my sister tried reading the books and thought it was really stupid. I won't judge it too much, though, considering I don't know anything about it.

By the way, Roc, I did get around to looking over your song and I really like it. [: I honestly was smiling by the time I finished reading the lyrics haha.
__________________
I am in the process of leaving PC and IRC channels associated with it.
If you wish to contact me, this is my channel:
client00.chat.mibbit.com/?server=irc.systemnet.info&channel=%23SableyeCorner
(Copy/paste the above into your browser)
  #3283    
Old April 11th, 2013, 07:08 PM
Echidna's Avatar
Echidna
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vaniville Town
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodex View Post
I feel like some of the charm died off after the original actor for Dumbledore passed away after the second film. He was amazing, the new dude just sucked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryoutarou View Post
I loved the Harry Potter series because there was such a fun cast of characters. Even people in the extended cast who weren't major players felt like they were these real people who contributed to the world they were in.

Though I do think the books are pretty over hyped, I don't really care too much? It's great to see people excited about books, especially younger people. (and fairly decent books at that)

(also, drat! totally missed the Avatar talk!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rococo View Post
@Dipu:
I'm really not sure whether to take that as a complement, or what...
I'm older, but always seem younger on the internet for some reason.

Meh, the first couple of Harry Potter movies were okay, but I lost interest around number four.
Guys... don't hate me, but I haven't even seen Perks of Being a Wallflower. :s
The books couldn't possible have been over-hyped, and I'll explain why. Most people think that J.K. Rowling sat down and wrote a book, then published it and decided to make more because it was popular... that could not be more false.

For years before she even began to write the first book, Rowling sat down with a type-writer and sometimes a pen & paper, and started to jot down the outlines of the Harry Potter universe, even delving into the deepest and most precise details. She created species, characters, plots and sub-plots, history, stereotypes... etc.

After having done so, she goes out and writes the 7 main series books as events that took place in her created fictional universe. The events in those books aren't even near the full history and legacy of the Harry Potter universe! After she released these books, she went on to outline a little bit more of her universe in books such as Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (supposedly a Hogwarts textbook) and Quidditch Through the Ages (a book Harry supposedly reads for entertainment) and The Tales of Beedle the Bard.

Not to mention Pottermore, which is an expansion to the Harry Potter universe where she presents a lot of her ideas/notes and unpublished text about, again, her fictional universe.

All this is aside from the loads of notes and ideas she has that have yet to be disclosed.

I'll give you a representative picture:
Spoiler:

Consider everything inside that big circle the Harry Potter universe. Everything inside the red box is the content of the 7 main series books. Everything outside the red box is the stuff in her supplementary books, Pottermore, and undisclosed notes and what not.

It's a brilliant franchise.
__________________






  #3284    
Old April 11th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Somniac's Avatar
Somniac
Probably sleeping.
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: united kingdom
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Nature: Naughty
So apparently I disapeared and suddenly there was book talk.

Personally I've never been a huge fan of the HP series. I felt like they were the LOTR books for a younger generation, and myself have always preferred Tolkien's fantasy universe.

Tolkien also wrote a bunch more than most people realize;

Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics
The Father Christmas Letters [published after his death]
Mr. Bliss
Roverandom
Leaf by Niggle (part of Tree and Leaf
The Adventures of Tom Bombadil
On Fairy-Stories
Smith of Wootton Major
Farmer Giles of Ham
The Hobbit
The Lord of the Rings
The Silmarillion
Unfinished Tales and The History of Middle-earth
The Children of Húrin
The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún

If you think the HP universe is detailed.... Tolkien wrote detailed information about 1000's of years of history for middle earth. The amount of detail in the Silmarillion is staggering.
It's a shame he died before fully finnishing his work.

I also love H.P. Lovecraft, a fantastic horror author.
__________________
  #3285    
Old April 11th, 2013, 07:45 PM
Dakota's Avatar
Dakota
ignore the whisper
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York City
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Dakota
You guys really should get around to seeing Perks, just saying. Especially if you're a high school kid.

Pottermore! Is that place any fun? :c
  #3286    
Old April 11th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Crux's Avatar
Crux
Evermore
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: 青い世界
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Crux
@Slender:
I really am glad you like it, but that's not entirerly helpful. X}
Thank you though, truely.

@Pedro:
Pedro... that's what any fiction writer is supposed to do when writing a series.
It just doesn't take most people half their life. X)
I get your point, but what i'm trying to say is that I was able to predict how it all would end, and that's one thing I really hate in any kind of story.
We each have opinions, you really like Harry Potter, I personally prefer The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

@Somniac:
Tolkien, Lovecraft, yes!
Have you ever read any of Robert E. Howard's stuff?
__________________





{Never and Forever}

Tees | Coming Soon | Coming Soon
  #3287    
Old April 11th, 2013, 07:51 PM
⊗Slenderman⊗'s Avatar
⊗Slenderman⊗
[Left PC]
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Gender: Female
Nature: Quiet
Well, I didn't notice anything worth changing. I can't critique something if I can't find mistakes. [;

Wow, okay.
I was just stopped from walking through the kitchen. Why? Because my mother kept threatening me with her fork. Such an interesting family. X}
__________________
I am in the process of leaving PC and IRC channels associated with it.
If you wish to contact me, this is my channel:
client00.chat.mibbit.com/?server=irc.systemnet.info&channel=%23SableyeCorner
(Copy/paste the above into your browser)
  #3288    
Old April 11th, 2013, 07:53 PM
Echidna's Avatar
Echidna
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vaniville Town
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somniac View Post
So apparently I disapeared and suddenly there was book talk.

Personally I've never been a huge fan of the HP series. I felt like they were the LOTR books for a younger generation, and myself have always preferred Tolkien's fantasy universe.

Tolkien also wrote a bunch more than most people realize;

Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics
The Father Christmas Letters [published after his death]
Mr. Bliss
Roverandom
Leaf by Niggle (part of Tree and Leaf
The Adventures of Tom Bombadil
On Fairy-Stories
Smith of Wootton Major
Farmer Giles of Ham
The Hobbit
The Lord of the Rings
The Silmarillion
Unfinished Tales and The History of Middle-earth
The Children of Húrin
The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún

If you think the HP universe is detailed.... Tolkien wrote detailed information about 1000's of years of history for middle earth. The amount of detail in the Silmarillion is staggering.
It's a shame he died before fully finnishing his work.

I also love H.P. Lovecraft, a fantastic horror author.
I actually agree with you :p
My favorite three franchises are Harry Potter, LotR, and Pokemon xD
Tolkien's history of the Middle Earth is amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rococo View Post
@Pedro:
Pedro... that's what any fiction writer is supposed to do when writing a series.
It just doesn't take most people half their life. X)
I get your point, but what i'm trying to say is that I was able to predict how it all would end, and that's one thing I really hate in any kind of story.
We each have opinions, you really like Harry Potter, I personally prefer The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
Yes it is, but rarely do they delve that deep into their fictional worlds! I mean Harry Potter was successful for a reason.
Personally, I got into it via the films. Then I read the books. Then I started this obsession about every detail in the Harry Potter universe that I didn't know yet. I still don't know half of it sadly :(

But yeah, think of it this way. For a franchise to have achieved this much success, it had to have done something spectacularly right.
__________________







Last edited by Echidna; April 11th, 2013 at 08:07 PM.
  #3289    
Old April 11th, 2013, 07:58 PM
Somniac's Avatar
Somniac
Probably sleeping.
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: united kingdom
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rococo View Post
@Somniac:
Tolkien, Lovecraft, yes!
Have you ever read any of Robert E. Howard's stuff?
Ah yes, I have read 'The Hour of the Dragon.' but nothing else, although I would love to ready more but unfortunately the library in my town is rather lackluster. I get most of my books online due to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ⊗Slenderman⊗ View Post
Well, I didn't notice anything worth changing. I can't critique something if I can't find mistakes. [;

Wow, okay.
I was just stopped from walking through the kitchen. Why? Because my mother kept threatening me with her fork. Such an interesting family. X}
Don't think too lightly of it, a fork is just multiple knives strapped together, waiting to stab you!
__________________
  #3290    
Old April 11th, 2013, 08:03 PM
Team Fail's Avatar
Team Fail
See that, Aster?
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by ⊗Slenderman⊗ View Post
Wow, okay.
I was just stopped from walking through the kitchen. Why? Because my mother kept threatening me with her fork. Such an interesting family. X}
This is the first thing I see when I open this thread from a day's work. Oooookay.

Looks like we're discussing reading?
__________________

You are challenged by Lorekeeper Zinnia!
Pairs | Twitter | Alt | Alt II | PHO
  #3291    
Old April 11th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Vintage Arachnid
Fight 'til you win.
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Vintage Arachnid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodex View Post
You guys really should get around to seeing Perks, just saying. Especially if you're a high school kid.
PERKS! I LOVE PERKS! :D The book too, I'm sooo glad the movie wasn't terrible.
__________________

THE EXTREMELY LONELY PAIR OF CAREFULWETPAINT
  #3292    
Old April 11th, 2013, 08:06 PM
Kikpanther's Avatar
Kikpanther
Not a beginner that's for sure
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Louisiana
Gender: Female
Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kikpanther
I've never read any of the Harry Potter books, when I had the chance I was little and I hadn't realized how awesome reading was. By the time I even thought about reading them the first movie came out and after I watched it I no longer read the book. I know the books and the movies aren't the same, but the beginning and ending are and I don't like to know the end.

I've also never read LOTR (I should) and I haven't seen any of the movies. Actually, scratch that. I HAVE seen one, I think, but I was little and I got scared and cried and ugh. I think I'm scarred now. I can't make it passed the beginning without wanting to cry. I want to though, I really do.

E: Oh yeah, I haven't seen Perks either. X)
__________________
  #3293    
Old April 11th, 2013, 08:06 PM
awolfsquared's Avatar
awolfsquared
I wish you a Merry Christmas!! (or CHRIStmas)
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: St.Louis,Missouri
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to awolfsquared
I used to love the Harry Potter series, but I haven't seen any of the movies or read any of the books after The Order of Phoenix. Still an excellent series , that I really want to catch up with. I don't really read books as much as I want to, only really read manga series. I don't really have certain series I've follow, but one of my favorite books is The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodex View Post
Pottermore! Is that place any fun? :c
I tried it a few times but lost interest after a while, but it was sort of fun.
__________________

Merry Christmas everyone!
DeviantArt | Tumblr | Ask Me Stuff | Paired to
  #3294    
Old April 11th, 2013, 08:14 PM
Ryoutarou
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEDRO12 View Post
The books couldn't possible have been over-hyped, and I'll explain why.
So the books can't be over hyped because...there was detailed planning involved? That's something a lot of fantasy writers who create epics do, they sit down and craft out the history of their world, it's not unique to Rowling's writing process and it definitely doesn't mean what she creates gets more attention than it deserves - though that last notion is entirely subjective.

Also, on the topic of Lovecraft, Rats in the Walls is my favorite thing from him, honestly made me a little paranoid for a few days after.
  #3295    
Old April 11th, 2013, 08:15 PM
Crux's Avatar
Crux
Evermore
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: 青い世界
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Crux
@Slender:
Psh, you're too kind! X}
I'm really glad you like it though, seriously.

Your mom is awesome... but...
A fork? Why?

@Pedro:
Eh, let's just agree to disagree my friend.
You are certainly a Harry Potter fanboy though!

@Somniac:
Okay, so you have great taste in music, and literature.
You're amazingly beautiful, and you aren't a priss...
You're not real. There is no chance that a girl like you even exists.
None. I going crazy, and imagining you. Or you're a dude.
__________________





{Never and Forever}

Tees | Coming Soon | Coming Soon
  #3296    
Old April 11th, 2013, 08:15 PM
Dakota's Avatar
Dakota
ignore the whisper
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York City
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Bug View Post
PERKS! I LOVE PERKS! :D The book too, I'm sooo glad the movie wasn't terrible.
I need to get around to reading the book :c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiklion View Post
E: Oh yeah, I haven't seen Perks either. X)
Watch it soon! It's really good :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWsquared View Post
I tried it a few times but lost interest after a while, but it was sort of fun.
I never got around to being sorted. :c
  #3297    
Old April 11th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Aphrodite's Avatar
Aphrodite
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
I don't care for The Perks Of Being a Wallflower in the slightest. I found the book to be more than insufferable and the movie... yeah, I'd rather not rattle on about the movie.
'and in that moment, I swear we were *pukes out brains*'
__________________
pathetic
  #3298    
Old April 11th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Dakota's Avatar
Dakota
ignore the whisper
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York City
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Dakota
You make me want to cry Harlequin. :c
  #3299    
Old April 11th, 2013, 08:47 PM
Aphrodite's Avatar
Aphrodite
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodex View Post
You make me want to cry Harlequin. :c


Nice to know that I've still got the ability to make members cry!
__________________
pathetic
  #3300    
Old April 11th, 2013, 09:05 PM
Dakota's Avatar
Dakota
ignore the whisper
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York City
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Dakota
Yup, I'm bawling and creating a flood right here. :c

Stop clowning around, Perks was great. =D
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 01:21 PM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.