Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > The Treehouse
Reload this Page
DCC
In which we welcome back Shining Raichu from his extended vacation

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

The Treehouse For the everyday ramblings of the masses.

Closed Thread

Old June 17th, 2013 (01:42 PM).
NOCH EIN BIER, BITTE!

Nature: Serious
Quote originally posted by Airbourne Bubblun:
It's the best way to learn them, when they are very young. I did French when I was 13, but I'd forgotten most of it. If I had did it much younger (and actually got to use the language a lot) then maybe it would have stuck in. I am gonna teach my young second cousin some basic Spanish/French, if there is ever a time that we (as a family) go to Spain or France.
13 is young enough, I started learning german when I was 15....
I can speak Spanish, English and German.

It's never too late to learn a language, if my grandma got around german (and she's 68), there's really no excuse but being lazy.
Old June 17th, 2013 (02:20 PM).
CS

Nature: Jolly
Quote originally posted by danks_:
It's never too late to learn a language, if my grandma got around german (and she's 68), there's really no excuse but being lazy.
While I do agree with this statement, I will say though that it seems more difficult to retain any language if you try to learn it as you get older. However, I'd say for your grandmother, it probably has a little bit to do with being in Germany herself and learning it, at least that's how I see the situation.
t
o
o
n

n
e
t
w
o
r
k

staff collab
april 2o15
Old June 17th, 2013 (02:31 PM).
mmm gurl that 90s
Crystal Tier

Nature: Impish
easiest way to learn something is to live there.

so yeah

Old June 17th, 2013 (02:50 PM).
Haunter

Quote originally posted by droomph:
easiest way to learn something is to live there.

so yeah
I don't really agree. Loads of people live in other countries and fail to learn the language because they don't really need to - they just speak their language and talk to tourists in their language and wander around until they find someone who speaks their language for help. That's not gonna help them learn anything no matter where you're living; the best way to learn one that I've come across is to make sure that you actually need to use the language. That means stuff like writing notes to yourself in the language, changing your computer's language to the target language, if more than one person is learning it speaking exclusively in that language, going on forums in that language, even trying to think in that language, etc. Just surrounding yourself by it no matter where you are. It's easier to need the language ofc if you live in another country but that's not an opportunity that most take. Personally, I'd not say that living in the target country = knowing the target language. You've got to need it. That's the easiest way.

I mean, I only managed to learn English way back when because I had to. If we'd have had it our way we'd have never spoken it for the sake of sticking with what we knew, but we needed to because no-one over here spoke it. That can be applied anywhere, not just in your target country.

...I went overboard there. 8D
Old June 17th, 2013 (03:02 PM).
NOCH EIN BIER, BITTE!

Quote originally posted by ZachLMedia:
While I do agree with this statement, I will say though that it seems more difficult to retain any language if you try to learn it as you get older. However, I'd say for your grandmother, it probably has a little bit to do with being in Germany herself and learning it, at least that's how I see the situation.
Well, my grandma doesn't live here, she lives back in venezuela, with most of my family. She just started learning it at the same time I did when I lived in venezuela.
Old June 17th, 2013 (04:33 PM).
mmm gurl that 90s
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Razor Leaf:
I don't really agree. Loads of people live in other countries and fail to learn the language because they don't really need to - they just speak their language and talk to tourists in their language and wander around until they find someone who speaks their language for help. That's not gonna help them learn anything no matter where you're living; the best way to learn one that I've come across is to make sure that you actually need to use the language. That means stuff like writing notes to yourself in the language, changing your computer's language to the target language, if more than one person is learning it speaking exclusively in that language, going on forums in that language, even trying to think in that language, etc. Just surrounding yourself by it no matter where you are. It's easier to need the language ofc if you live in another country but that's not an opportunity that most take. Personally, I'd not say that living in the target country = knowing the target language. You've got to need it. That's the easiest way.

I mean, I only managed to learn English way back when because I had to. If we'd have had it our way we'd have never spoken it for the sake of sticking with what we knew, but we needed to because no-one over here spoke it. That can be applied anywhere, not just in your target country.

...I went overboard there. 8D
Living there ≠ taking a vacation.

If you truly live there you would need to at least start learning the language.

And what about the grandparents that won't speak the language? That's because they're technically hired and have all their expenses paid.

Old June 17th, 2013 (05:39 PM).
شكرا
CS

Send a message via Skype™ to Honest
Question, RL, hope you don't mind me prying, but if English wasn't your first language, what was?

I never had to deal with learning a new language because I actually needed to, thankfully. Only language I ever actually had to learn was Spanish, and that's cause my high school forced me to, in order to graduate. The only other language I picked up on was Bengali, and that's cause my parents speak it. I learned it entirely by way of hearing, and when I was really young. I can speak it decently enough to hold small talk, but I can't read nor right it. Which is something my grandmother always scolds me about. :c

Also. French just seems like a sexy language. Js.
Old June 17th, 2013 (06:28 PM). Edited June 17th, 2013 by Sableye~.
Back to PC~
Silver Tier

Nature: Quiet
I can speak English. That's all I'm fluent in. I can, however, say various phrases / words in Spanish. I have no use of that knowledge, though. Only time I've used it was to loudly fight with a friend in Spanish in a public place to confuse people. :D Even if anyone there knew the Spanish words, it would've still made no sense because we weren't using actual sentences. Just random words and phrases mixed in with gibberish stuff.

I used to know a bit of French but can't remember nearly any of it now. And what I did know I could just spell. I used to go on another website and talk to people there in French, which was fun.

I learned some basic Spanish stuff before quitting the class. I was just wasting my time with it and the teacher was obnoxious. We were forced to converse with people in Spanish. D:
Old June 17th, 2013 (06:37 PM).
naughty biscotti
Crystal Tier

Nature: Relaxed
I worked with a Bengali dude and an Afghan woman who knew like six different languages (including Bengali!).

We learn French here just like you learn Spanish. But it kinda loses its novelty after a while.

---

you open your mouth:
but man speaks with just a smile,
much more than you think
#363 Spheal
Supporter Collab January 2015
mod of nothing
paired to Axeliira
Old June 17th, 2013 (07:37 PM).
شكرا
CS

Bengali person knowing more than English and Bengali? Color me impressed, I've actually never seen that.
Old June 17th, 2013 (07:53 PM).
naughty biscotti
Crystal Tier

Bengali girls are hot btw. Just saiyan. The genetic mixing that goes on in that key location makes for exotic babes :}
#363 Spheal
mod of nothing
paired to Axeliira
Old June 17th, 2013 (08:04 PM). Edited June 17th, 2013 by Honest.
شكرا
CS

Dunno bout Bengali, but Indian, oh yes.

Spoiler:

Aishwarya Rai right there.
Old June 17th, 2013 (08:24 PM).
Crystal Tier

I'm echoing Razor Leaf on this one, I had to get into an environment where I was forced to use the language in order to use it, because I was a young school kid in a new country and I needed to learn the language if I wanted to survive, which as you can tell, I did! Funny thing is though - I have barely spoken any French since I was 13 and as a result, I barely know anything of French and instead my second language is now my main language, lol. Oops :(
Old June 17th, 2013 (08:33 PM).
naughty biscotti
Crystal Tier

That's interesting. It's kind of the opposite for me. I left China when I was 3, but I went to Chinese school and all that and eventually gave up. I still know Chinese pretty well, although it has become comparatively worse as I'm in university now and I can't express my more developed thoughts and different vernacular using the Chinese I have. I wish I had more Chinese friends so I could speak Mandarin and improve it :\
#363 Spheal
mod of nothing
paired to Axeliira
Old June 17th, 2013 (08:38 PM). Edited June 17th, 2013 by droomph.
mmm gurl that 90s
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Harlequin:
I'm echoing Razor Leaf on this one, I had to get into an environment where I was forced to use the language in order to use it, because I was a young school kid in a new country and I needed to learn the language if I wanted to survive, which as you can tell, I did! Funny thing is though - I have barely spoken any French since I was 13 and as a result, I barely know anything of French and instead my second language is now my main language, lol. Oops :(
Funny thing is, my first clear memory is me trying to speak english to the supervisor at my preschool, and I distinctly remember my sounding like an immigrant.

Also I love Chinese, but not the boring-ass teachers who teach it. If they would get half-decent teachers to teach Chinese, I wouldn't be so afraid when anybody mentions "Chinese School", but so far, no such luck.

Quote originally posted by BlahISuck:
That's interesting. It's kind of the opposite for me. I left China when I was 3, but I went to Chinese school and all that and eventually gave up. I still know Chinese pretty well, although it has become comparatively worse as I'm in university now and I can't express my more developed thoughts and different vernacular using the Chinese I have. I wish I had more Chinese friends so I could speak Mandarin and improve it :\
ALSO WHY IS EVERY OTHER CHINESE PERSON I KNOW IN CANADIA? is america like too impolite or soemthing lol

Old June 17th, 2013 (08:46 PM).
You idiot!

Don't worry, this Chinese here is not in Canada.

VM | PM | MyAnimeList | Theme | Pairs | Previously
Old June 17th, 2013 (08:50 PM).
naughty biscotti
Crystal Tier

audacious of you:
the way you spell canada,
unconventional

of all the places,
this gathering of chinese:
interesting, no?
#363 Spheal
mod of nothing
paired to Axeliira
Old June 17th, 2013 (08:53 PM).
mmm gurl that 90s
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by BlahISuck:
audacious of you:
the way you spell canada,
unconventional

of all the places,
this gathering of chinese:
interesting, no?
what is a poem
capitalism doesn't
allow imagination

Old June 17th, 2013 (09:38 PM).
Master of The Universe
Crystal Tier

Nature: Naughty
I don't know about imagination, but it allows for voluntary exchange. Good enough for me.

Anyway, just got back from seeing Man Of Steel. Really wasn't as great as I thought it was going to be. The plot made little sense and was all over the place. The fights were great, though.

My Proposed PokeCommunity Dungeons & Dragons game. Leave a comment if interested.
Old June 18th, 2013 (01:00 AM).
Crystal Tier

someone's asking for a beating from livewire
Old June 18th, 2013 (04:13 AM).
twitter.com/kuraberrym

Because it's probably much easier for someone Chinese to immigrate to Canada because of immigration laws.
I heard as of like 2011 or 2012 Caucasian stopped being the majority in Toronto and the surrounding area. There are more Indian and Chinese now I believe haha :3

I didnt watch it but you make it sound like Livewire is just a fanboy that refuses to see anything bad in anything batman related like xbox fans do with the XboxOne.
Old June 18th, 2013 (06:09 AM).
Stoutland

Quote originally posted by Bloodex:
Question, RL, hope you don't mind me prying, but if English wasn't your first language, what was?
My first language is Irish, laced with a little English but virtually none of it and definitely not enough to live in England on. I was actually born in Ireland in an area which, while it no longer had official status as one of the areas which spoke primarily Irish, the Gaeltachtaí, still had a good number of people speaking one of the two languages from an early age and learning the other as a second language later. Our family spoke primarily Irish, especially since originally my mum was from another area which spoke basically exclusively Irish, and as I moved to England at a fairly young age I ended up over here speaking... more or less not a single word of the language! Which was all very fun; you can imagine how my first day of school and whatnot went down when no-one spoke a word of my language and I didn't speak a word of theirs. d:

Quote originally posted by Kura:
Livewire is just a fanboy that refuses to see anything bad in anything batman related like xbox fans do with the XboxOne.
Accurate. ;]
Old June 18th, 2013 (07:43 AM).
silver princess
CS

Nature: Brave
Born in Mexico, but when my parents emigrated to the states when I was just 9 months old, they both taught me English so they could prepare me for school. It was probably for the better. My mom couldn't speak English at the time, so it was extremely difficult for me to communicate with her since I knew English and only English at the time. Until I was 10 or so years old (probably younger), I was finally taught Spanish. The advantage was that we lived in a Spanish-speaking city, and listening to Spanish-speaking music helped a ton.
'Cause you can learn to fly...on the way down.
Old June 18th, 2013 (08:51 AM).
mmm gurl that 90s
Crystal Tier

My first language is Irish, laced with a little English but virtually none of it and definitely not enough to live in England on. I was actually born in Ireland in an area which, while it no longer had official status as one of the areas which spoke primarily Irish, the Gaeltachtaí, still had a good number of people speaking one of the two languages from an early age and learning the other as a second language later. Our family spoke primarily Irish, especially since originally my mum was from another area which spoke basically exclusively Irish, and as I moved to England at a fairly young age I ended up over here speaking... more or less not a single word of the language! Which was all very fun; you can imagine how my first day of school and whatnot went down when no-one spoke a word of my language and I didn't speak a word of theirs. d:
How things like this goes down in America.

Immigrant aka Razor Leaf: "jeg er ien ärelender" (or however that goes)
Student A: "I-O DO-O NOT-O SPEAK-O SPANISH-O"
Student B: "Look at that dumbass!"
Parent A: "oh no! It's an immigrant! It's probably illegal!" <- notice my use of "it" rather than "he/she"
Parent B: "We need to deport it immediately before it gets to the jobs!"
Me: "Weren't you guys not already using-"
Parents A&B: "OH CRAP ANOTHER IMMIGRANT"
--RL and I get deported immediately--

Old June 18th, 2013 (09:45 AM).
شكرا
CS

Aw man, first day of school without being able to communicate? I'd probably have wet my pants before I made the teacher realize I wanted to use the bathroom. :I

Thinking back, I actually don't remember if I knew English in my first year of school. I'm petty sure I did, considering I'd hang around with a couple of the other kids, but I also knew Bengali off the top of my head. I have to ask my parents what happened.

And while I didn't see it, my friends said that MoS was indeed overhyped. I feel like they said that only cause we went ahead and saw the Purge instead. :O
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links