Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > The Treehouse
Reload this Page
DCC
In which we welcome back Shining Raichu from his extended vacation

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

The Treehouse For the everyday ramblings of the masses.

Closed Thread

Old June 20th, 2013 (03:35 PM).
شكرا
CS

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Honest
I'm going to take a minute to go back to what Chris and RL were talking about earlier, and I'm slightly disappointed at everyone in regards to how their posts were received, Razor Leaf's especially. I'm hoping you guys take the time to read this, cause it's extremely important.

This thread is called "The Daily Chit Chat". That means that this thread should contain excessive amounts of conversation. The past few DCCs haven't had a problem with that, but I've noticed a change in that, and both RL and Chris mentioned it earlier. The posts in this thread have gone from conversation to very... let's call it random posting. Instead of replying to posts with an honest, serious answer, I've seen replies basically go along the lines of "Yeah, whatever". Perhaps not as blunt, but it definitely isn't what a proper reply should be.

I've noticed a lot that whenever this thread dies, someone comes around and randomly blurts a question. While there isn't anything wrong with that, since it follows the rules, it isn't how you make a conversation. The real life equivalent of that would be small talk, and while for a while that might be fine, small talk in the end just turns awkward and broken, much like a couple of the more recent DCC posts.

To post in this thread and turn it into a success, you need to act normal, and just talk about relevant material. Be it either current events, or personal events. For example, if this thread was dead, you could start it off by talking about something of value that happened today. Then someone would comment on it, perhaps ask a question, and eventually more and more people would come in and balloon the discussion to something more general. Current events are a lot easier, since many people are opinionated when it comes to that, and that easily creates discussion.

Furthermore, everyone's posts are relevant. Assuming they've been following the rules, it's somehow related to the current topic. Just an example, SNOR(es)LAX's post in the page before:
Quote:
i still get ignored
everytime i post in the
DCC indeed
The current "discussion" (which I'll get to in a second) was haikus. But he managed to include his own thing. BUT. Because of the nature of the more recent posts here, posts are turning into a more "stop and post" sort of routine. Meaning, instead of actually following conversation, there's simply a "theme" instead. And because of that, there's no actual communication among posters. And that is something that we need to change.

Guys, listen. I know this is a laid back thread. But this thread could be so much better, if only we made it so that this was a giant "family" talk, instead of isolated spurs of conversation, that come out of the blue. I hope I'm making some sense here, because this is something that I feel must change if we want the DCC to become as brilliant as it was before. I can't force you guys to talk better, only you can do that. I hope you heed this advice and turn the next DCC into an amazing conversation.

If you do have any questions, post here. In fact, I want you to! I know I sorta cheated and cut the previous topic short, but I feel for the sake of the DCC it is permissible.
Old June 20th, 2013 (04:01 PM).
twitter.com/kuraberrym

Nature: Serious
OI! HEY BLOODEX, WHAT THE HECK! Stop spamming!! You didn't even contribute to our conversation about concerts! WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU???

;3~
Nah I kid, but really, that was passionately spoken. Thanks for taking the time to write it, I read it all, certainly.

:C NOW GOING BACK TO PRECIOUS CONVOS THAT WE CAN JOIN IN...>:C IN REGARDS TO CUTTING OUR TOPIC SHORT.... >:3 Have you heard of.. BATSU GAME?

Batsu game is basically "punishment game." There's actually a few TV shows based on it. I think the funniest one I saw was this guy who had to go through his whole daily routine indoors while he gets pies thrown at him.. but he has to pretend that they don't exist. Some hilarious stuff, especially when he's in the bathroom or trying to watch tv or make himself a cup of tea.

>:3 So guys.. what would Dipu's batsu game be? Hurrhurrhurrrr~~

Ye ol' DCC *********** from 2005-6ish should make a comeback.. :c ALL MY FRIENDS FROM THAT AGE ARE GONE!
Old June 20th, 2013 (04:16 PM).
شكرا
CS

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Unless I'm missing a joke, I really did want the current conversation to be about what I had just posted. And I wanted it met seriously, too. No jokes.
Old June 20th, 2013 (04:35 PM).
Back to PC~
Silver Tier

Nature: Quiet
I've seen people try to start up new conversations in the way that Dipu suggested, but it, from what I've seen, tends to be ignored. I assume that's why people ask questions- because then at least people will reply, rather than letting the DCC die out again.

I might not have been around PC long enough to see the way it should be here, though. I've been too busy lately to see what's going on around this place (aside from browsing the current page and posting once before having to leave), so I don't know if the spammy posts have escalated a lot or something.
Old June 20th, 2013 (04:39 PM).
★heroes
CS

Nature: Naive
I just know that most of the time when I've visited the DCC, the topic has been on video games, work or food. And nothing of that usually interests me enough to want to discuss it here, hence I'm not very much of a regular d:
Old June 20th, 2013 (04:50 PM).
CS

I often scan through the DCC to see what the topic of interest is, and typically that decides on whether or not I post in here. Back then, I used to just avoid the DCC altogether because of the randomly changing discussions, but I've warmed to that and started posting in here.

Sometimes though if I bump the DCC (after a few hours of idle time in it) I don't start a new topic, because I have found that my topic could be skipped over so I just keep the conversation of the above post going, but that's again, only if it interests me.
t
o
o
n

n
e
t
w
o
r
k

staff collab
april 2o15
Old June 20th, 2013 (04:52 PM).
شكرا
CS

Quote originally posted by ⊗Slenderman⊗:
I've seen people try to start up new conversations in the way that Dipu suggested, but it, from what I've seen, tends to be ignored. I assume that's why people ask questions- because then at least people will reply, rather than letting the DCC die out again.

I might not have been around PC long enough to see the way it should be here, though. I've been too busy lately to see what's going on around this place (aside from browsing the current page and posting once before having to leave), so I don't know if the spammy posts have escalated a lot or something.
Well, people should make an effort to not ignore stuff like that. This is really the simplest way I can put it: A conversation shouldn't always be handed to you (ie a question). Always look for something in a post to comment about (ie hearing something and actually commenting).

Or look at it this way. Wouldn't it be awkward if a conversation irl was one person asking questions and the other simply answering? That's pretty boring, if you ask me. And it'd die out very soon. The proper method would be to dissect the post and find something to talk about.

Quote originally posted by Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers:
I just know that most of the time when I've visited the DCC, the topic has been on video games, work or food. And nothing of that usually interests me enough to want to discuss it here, hence I'm not very much of a regular d:
That's all fine and well, if it's the topics that are keeping you away. That being said, it's be amazing if we could find a way to vary the topic. =P

Quote originally posted by ZachLMedia:
I often scan through the DCC to see what the topic of interest is, and typically that decides on whether or not I post in here. Back then, I used to just avoid the DCC altogether because of the randomly changing discussions, but I've warmed to that and started posting in here.

Sometimes though if I bump the DCC (after a few hours of idle time in it) I don't start a new topic, because I have found that my topic could be skipped over so I just keep the conversation of the above post going, but that's again, only if it interests me.
That's actually perfect, in my opinion. Just because a thread is dead doesn't mean that you HAVE to post in it to keep the thread alive, if only for the sake of it being alive. I'd much rather you post about the previous thread if it truly interests you than create some random top of the top of your head. One method is much more beneficial for the thread as a whole. Like I said, you aren't forced to post here. No one ever always talks in a conversation, afterall!
Old June 20th, 2013 (04:58 PM).
Back to PC~
Silver Tier

I agree- I was just remarking about what I've seen.

I do look for things to reply to, but sometimes people post things that are about impossible to add to. Or they bring up the last topic just before an hour has passed, and kills DCC because they're the only one who has anything to say about it.

I'm going to shut up now because I'm too tired to make any sense.
Old June 20th, 2013 (04:59 PM).
Call me Archie!
Gold Tier

Well for one, I think it'd help a great big deal if everyone in the DCC took things less seriously. This is a chat thread, to talk with people and have fun. People really oughtn't make it out to be the life or death that they are currently.

I don't know about anyone else, but I know that my main problem with the DCC is that I make my reply, but the person that I addressed usually doesn't reply again until I'm not online. And then that happens to be when everyone else swarms in and posts as well, often bringing the conversation to an entirely different topic, thus making what I said moot. And while I could again join the conversation, the same thing usually happens. I guess I need to post during higher-activity times, but with the difference in time-zones(I'm assuming this is the reason for such, or people on PC have really erratic sleep patterns....) that is rather difficult. Like right now, it's fine, because I can see a few other people viewing the thread... but to be honest, that is like a first for me.

idk. maybe posting the general times that people are usually on?
Old June 20th, 2013 (05:02 PM).
Gold Tier

I find it kinda hard to keep up with this thread to be honest, it moves so fast :/ though to be fair I dont check in as often so I guess that's just my fault.
Old June 20th, 2013 (05:04 PM).
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by ⊗Slenderman⊗:
I agree- I was just remarking about what I've seen.

I do look for things to reply to, but sometimes people post things that are about impossible to add to. Or they bring up the last topic just before an hour has passed, and kills DCC because they're the only one who has anything to say about it.

I'm going to shut up now because I'm too tired to make any sense.
someone explain this 'hour rule' in its entirety to me because as far as i've seen all it does is strangle the life out of any worthwhile discussion
Old June 20th, 2013 (05:05 PM).
شكرا
CS

I can see how that'd be an issue, that's understandable. I'd expect someone you quote to be online, though, unless the thread is either dead or the quoted person did coincidentally log off after posting. Best method to take care of that, imo, is to simply stick around if your post does get answered too late. I mean, you can quote something and say something, and still add more posts for now, and leave the quoted person to respond later.

As for taking things so seriously, we aren't! There has been a very noticeable dip in the quality of the posts though, recently, and while it's not a life or death issue, there's no harm in trying to fix it, correct?
Old June 20th, 2013 (05:13 PM).
Back to PC~
Silver Tier

and suddenly the DCC blows up with posts.

I agree with Chris. If someone tries to change the topic but people don't want to, it's not like they're being forced to. It just kind of results in the thread dying slowly because nobody can change the topic, even though it already has been discussed.

Also, I haven't noticed the posts getting particularly worse. As I said, I've been busy- but things seem about the same to me.

Quote:
Well for one, I think it'd help a great big deal if everyone in the DCC took things less seriously. This is a chat thread, to talk with people and have fun. People really oughtn't make it out to be the life or death that they are currently.
and I agree with this.
Sure, it's fine to want to fix it. But this seems a little too serious.
Old June 20th, 2013 (05:20 PM).
naughty biscotti
Crystal Tier

Nature: Relaxed
talk about talking
but what should we talk about?
just start the engine

There is a fine line between "stop and go posting" and "actual conversation", especially given the nature of this thread.
#363 Spheal
Supporter Collab January 2015
mod of nothing
paired to Axeliira
Old June 20th, 2013 (05:33 PM).
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by ANARCHit3cht:
i'm only taking it seriously because half the time the posts are about as long as the average vm and the conversation topics are as fleeting too
chat doesn't have to be 'deep' but it should at least have some form of depth that isn't currently being seen in here right now
Old June 20th, 2013 (05:43 PM).
naughty biscotti
Crystal Tier

I flipped back to pages 141 and 191 and checked them out. There are quite a bit one- and two-liners. I haven't been around since then, but is there a noticeable difference?
#363 Spheal
mod of nothing
paired to Axeliira
Old June 20th, 2013 (05:48 PM).
mmm gurl that 90s
Crystal Tier

Nature: Impish
Quote originally posted by Harlequin:
i'm only taking it seriously because half the time the posts are about as long as the average vm and the conversation topics are as fleeting too
chat doesn't have to be 'deep' but it should at least have some form of depth that isn't currently being seen in here right now
Yeah that's what's confusing. You know harley we're not all as socially adequate (or whatever the term is) as you so maybe some help would be appreciated.

mebbe we should all should check out the previous dcc's flow of topics? Idk honestly. I don't want this to be a freaking homework assignment.

Old June 20th, 2013 (05:56 PM).
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by droomph:
Yeah that's what's confusing. You know harley we're not all as socially adequate (or whatever the term is) as you (eg I have ASD) so maybe some help.

mebbe we should all should check out the previous dcc's flow of topics? Idk honestly.
well
for example
in your case, quite a few of your posts in here (or anywhere, really) consist solely of jokes
and while i of all people have no problem with joke after joke after joke (considering that's what many of my posts are), the post needs to contain something that actually furthers conversation

i'm not familiar with the autism spectrum but in your case i don't imagine it would be too hard to simply tack on a couple of lines that either promote discussion or continue it
i hope i've made myself clear...?
Old June 20th, 2013 (06:07 PM). Edited June 20th, 2013 by droomph.
mmm gurl that 90s
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Harlequin:
well
for example
in your case, quite a few of your posts in here (or anywhere, really) consist solely of jokes
and while i of all people have no problem with joke after joke after joke (considering that's what many of my posts are), the post needs to contain something that actually furthers conversation

i'm not familiar with the autism spectrum but in your case i don't imagine it would be too hard to simply tack on a couple of lines that either promote discussion or continue it
i hope i've made myself clear...?
Hey at least I'm trying.

Sometimes though, when there's no real interest of mine of the topic, I tend to not post, so that's something I'm doing right, isn't it?

I don't know. Sometimes when people give me criticism, it's like they're doing the Arthur and Excalibur thing, but in reverse, and the rock is my self-esteem. It hurts to hear it, even though I know probably most likely for a fact that I'm not doing everything wrong…how's that for trying

Old June 20th, 2013 (06:12 PM).
Crystal Tier

that message probably came off more insulting than i wanted it to be, and i didn't want it to be insulting at all, lol
Old June 20th, 2013 (06:14 PM).
naughty biscotti
Crystal Tier

reminding me of
legislating morality
let the rhythm flow

I broke from the structure but my point is still made.

rapidly shrinking
molehills become a mountain
slowly towering

as a wound festers
the more it will burn, such that
we must burn it shut

It's the end of one DCC, beginning of another. But let's end this one on a happier note, we have less than a day to do it.
#363 Spheal
mod of nothing
paired to Axeliira
Old June 20th, 2013 (06:19 PM).
mmm gurl that 90s
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by BlahISuck:
as a wound festers
the more it will burn, such that
we must burn it shut
you know, that kinda hurts…we should use antiseptics and stuff.

Or where are we in this hypothetical place? Do we have access to medicine, or at least a First Aid kit?

Old June 20th, 2013 (06:31 PM).
naughty biscotti
Crystal Tier

I wanted to invoke the imagery of a wound that has been played with instead of healing, which now has to become cauterized, playing on the definition of "burn" to use it twice. That if we continue talking about talking in the DCC instead of talking in the DCC, when we actually get to what we should be doing, it will be more painful than it should be. All of my recent haikus are about the hullabaloo going on.

The irony. I meant it as a metaphor for us to start CCing the DCC like it's supposed to be, but now I'm doing the very thing I'm criticizing. Life is astounding sometimes, you know that?

You should also know that you're awesome droomph.

I remember when I had these wounds, I needed 12 stitches to get them shut. And I had to clean them every day with hydrogen peroxide. Sometimes they oozed puss, sometimes they reopened. I think it took 3 weeks to heal? But no, not worth burning shut lol.
#363 Spheal
mod of nothing
paired to Axeliira
Old June 20th, 2013 (06:36 PM).
mmm gurl that 90s
Crystal Tier

I remember when I had these wounds, I needed 12 stitches to get them shut. And I had to clean them every day with hydrogen peroxide. Sometimes they oozed puss, sometimes they reopened. I think it took 3 weeks to heal? But no, not worth burning shut lol.
I got this cut when I was in third grade I cut myself to the point where it was like I could peel back my skin. Luckily I had more brains than to do that (just barely) but it was coooool.
You should also know that you're awesome droomph.

Old June 20th, 2013 (06:57 PM).
Call me Archie!
Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by droomph:
I got this cut when I was in third grade I cut myself to the point where it was like I could peel back my skin. Luckily I had more brains than to do that (just barely) but it was coooool.
I have never had any serious injuries... I had to get two stitches on my forehead once, and that was the worst of it. It was my fault, I was being stupid and trying to fight people, even though I really didn't even want to... I messed myself up, though! I tried to bring the person down and ended up splitting my head because they kept pulling my hair .-. Although, I suppose that means I've gotten relatively considering some of the situations that I've been in. Like for instance, this one time, I fell off a roof... it was straight up like when you fall off that roof in Call of Duty and all the militia come running in after you. You could see my hand prints in the dust and everything. Apart from being a little weak upon standing, nothing seriously bad happened... ! I honestly feel pretty accomplished from that, for some reason...

@BlahIsuck: They actually told you to use hydrogen peroxide? I've always thought that things like that made bad antiseptics, because they kill the growing the tissue. Honestly... it probably took so long because you were constantly applying hydrogen peroxide. :s

Oh, and if you think your stitch story is bad... my friends mom fell through a window and had to get 88 stitches. She had 2 on the surface, but for every one of those, she had 4 underneath. That is some crazy stuff, the scar went like all the way up her arm. Sadly... she's not around anymore. :/
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links