The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon X & Pokémon Y

Notices

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y The Kalos region awaits! Explore a new world, capture new Pokémon, and fight off Team Flare in the newest installment of the core Pokémon series.
X/Y Quick Q&A | X/Y Friend Code Sharing Thread

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 21st, 2013, 04:52 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle

Advertise here
...Who is you, of course!

In just about every single Pokemon game we've had, we have gotten the opportunity to beat the champion, of course. And then we get recognized afterwards! ...But is that really all there is to it? Why not change things around? What if you were really the champion, and you had other challengers come to you after they beat the elite four? What if the storyline took this non-linear turn, and you would receive some sort of call everytime on your communication device (assuming there is one for this specific hypothetical example), from the E4 telling you that you had a challenger?

Would you like for this to happen?
Old March 21st, 2013, 04:54 PM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I'd love to see this happen actually. Having a dynamic champion throughout the games would be awesome. Of course, you'd have the original champion there, but if you debunk them from their spot and you take it, it'd be fun to have random NPCs come challenge you. It'd be cool if they repeated and had their levels increased a little bit each time like they had been training to beat you. THAT'D be something fun to see.
Old March 21st, 2013, 06:26 PM
antemortem
I... was perfect

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to antemortem
That absolutely would be something fun to see and experience. I've always wondered why we don't stay as the Champion, as in every game the Champion you beat is always there when you re-challenge the Elite Four... That's always confused me. Am I the champion or am I not? Solidifying the answer in this forme would be really cool, quite frankly. We could finally live out our dreams of being Cynthia and Alder by becoming traveling champions!
[4:32:35 AM] Shinx: my nipples are permanently erect
Old March 21st, 2013, 07:46 PM
Kenshin5
Wanderer

Nature: Mild
It would be nice to have this feature, but at the same time you are still able to spar with the Elite Four, and go battle the former Champion at their residence or somewhere among the region.

To keep things spiced up the teams could consist of DLC such as trainers who won or ranked high in Worlds or the various International Challenges. I would just like challenges with varied trainers and having teams changing. I don't want to battle the same teams over and over.

Brian - 0089 1621 6313 - White

Old March 21st, 2013, 07:53 PM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

I believe I introduced this idea. Originally asked this in the B/W forums somewhere, but it got moved to Central at the time as we had no new X/Y game to look forward to at the time. My (slightly snipped) comments then were:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneGU View Post
Do you think it would be a nice change of pace to the game if, every few days or so, you were summoned to return to the Pokémon League to face a new challenger in the role of Champion? These challengers could become increasingly more difficult, and of course you don't know specifically who is challenging so you don't get an advantage straightaway in types, so this could bring a nice post-E4 challenge.

Of course, it could be possible to choose whether you want to do this or not; if not, you carry on as in any post-E4, but if so, you just get a message in your mail indicating a new challenger is arriving. For simplicity, it can be assumed that the entire main E4 is beaten by every challenger you face, and whoever defeats you becomes the new Champion. If you do not show up for the challenge within the hour or two (it could be day since some only play once a day), you immediately forfeit the role of Champion and must rechallenge to reclaim the role (of course, the E4 is tougher, too). Any such challenge would be made when you turn on the game for the day, and it should automatically save after that to start the timer.
While the mechanics may not be like that exactly - in fact, the idea of having to forfeit might not come to mind, you could simply be forced to Fly to your Champion's Room and accept the challenge - it might be better to check in daily and find out if there is a challenger, then you take the back exit to get to your room. This room would be programmed to only be active once you actually become Champion, so no hackers can go in and randomly battle strong Trainers. After a while, the game runs out of scripted Challengers, and you become permanent Champion. Calls to check in for a new challenger can come on the Xtransceiver or such as well.

Also, the idea that you can redecorate the Champion's Room like a Secret Base is also a lovely idea I just thought of. Visiting another's game and challenging in their Champion's Room via Wifi is also a cool idea, but since these would be different Champions, no one gets dethroned.

As an aside, my poll went 10-1 in favour of people wanting something like this. It's still open for voting, mind. I know this is only a small fraction of the Pokémon fanbase, but I would be curious how this question would play with a bigger sample.

Also, Kenshin, excellent idea for DLC use. More challengers could in fact be added that way.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Last edited by Cyclone; March 23rd, 2013 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Edited later per mod. suggestion - added quote from linked thread and decided to elaborate.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 07:18 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

In my perspective, I'd love it if you were actually continue as a champion! I mean, I think it's kind of lame that, in a lot of these games, you do get recognized as a champion, but at the same time, all you really get is access to a secret area and well....that's pretty much it, really. Why not actually keep your Champion role, and challenge people while you're at it? I mean, it's not like you have to be stuck in a room by yourself like the Champion before you, and I'd like for there to be some interesting mechanics behind this: If someone beats you, they become champion until you manage to beat them! It's a rather competitive and yet challenging. It's an experience that I'd love to go through in these games. xD;
Old April 4th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
In my perspective, I'd love it if you were actually continue as a champion! I mean, I think it's kind of lame that, in a lot of these games, you do get recognized as a champion, but at the same time, all you really get is access to a secret area and well....that's pretty much it, really. Why not actually keep your Champion role, and challenge people while you're at it? I mean, it's not like you have to be stuck in a room by yourself like the Champion before you, and I'd like for there to be some interesting mechanics behind this: If someone beats you, they become champion until you manage to beat them! It's a rather competitive and yet challenging. It's an experience that I'd love to go through in these games. xD;
I really like this idea. The idea of having a phone or some type of device to alert us of a new challenger is also a good one.

I think it's also worth mentioning that all of the champions before had been seen out and about the region in every generation before we initially got to battle them for the champion title; they were never cooped up in a room forever. We did get to see them exploring outside of the league building. Green was our rival and we continuously ran into him around Kanto before he become the champion. We ran into Lance a number of times and he even helped take down Team Rocket in GSC/HGSS. Same goes for Steven in RSE, Cynthia in DPPt, and Alder and Iris in BW/B2W2. So it's not like we'd have to be stuck in a room for the rest of the game even if this were to be done.
Old April 4th, 2013, 04:25 PM
BlackOranges
Unhatched Egg

This is a pretty cool idea, not sure how fun it would really be after the first couple of times when you're trying to train on of your Pokemanz and you have to go and defeat a challenger NPC. Still not bad though.
Old April 4th, 2013, 10:50 PM
zypher634
zypher634

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Skype™ to zypher634
I really like the idea of having some kind of dlc characters. for example getting some of the anime characters to come challenge you. maybe (Ash or Gary or Richie<--- I know old right?) and have like people Ash fought I the pokemon league challenge you as well. like the guy in gen 4 that had the darkrai and the latios. I think that would be really cool to be called back to the champions room every once and a while to accept a challenge from somebody to get a bit of quick training in with a really strong trainer. I also like the idea if you lose to them then you have to go through the entire elite 4 again and beat that person to reclaim your right as champion.

my best team is explained by the picture. the 6th member depends on who im challenging.

you can view my nuzlocke run and other awesome videos at www.youtube.com/zypher634

Friendcode for Black version : 0863-2606-8000
Old April 5th, 2013, 04:58 AM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOranges View Post
This is a pretty cool idea, not sure how fun it would really be after the first couple of times when you're trying to train on of your Pokemanz and you have to go and defeat a challenger NPC. Still not bad though.
Keep in mind, you can still gain experience on these battles! Of course, your Pokémon might be flatlined at a certain level, with the choice of one Pokémon to be a couple of levels higher as your main Pokémon. Experience could be stored for later acquisition after the battle in such a case.

Cyclone

Cyclone. FC: 5327-1949-9511. Safari: Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Golurk (Ghost). Champion of the GC11 Pokémon Challenge!
Breeder extraordinaire. Horrible battler. I take requests! Looking ahead to SSB3D for even more fun!

Pokémon Black National Pokédex completed on December 13, 2012. My Lv.7 UT Shiny Nincada (Hoenn) is now in Kalos for trade offers.

Old April 5th, 2013, 11:11 AM
OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire
10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
I would love for this to happen. Maybe the challengers can even be old characters from past generations such as Volkner (who apparently challenged the Unova league as Shauntel mentions him in BW)
Old April 5th, 2013, 05:57 PM
Ace.
Let Go and Just Be Free
Community Supporter

I would really love for this to happen. I've been thinking the same thing as well ever since the time when I first played emerald. But if you loose then what? Would you have to fight the elite four again and the old champion or the new champion? Will there be a variety of trainers that'll battle you? It'll really be complicated if you loose to a different trainer since the champions will keep changing.
Old April 5th, 2013, 06:56 PM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

The first Champion can always be the same actual Champion, and if you get beaten, it reverts to the original Champion. It would be assumed (s)he defeated the person who toppled you. Oh, and the Former Champion can challenge you from time to time as well; being no longer THE strongest, (s)he would have a role in the E4 under you.

Did I mention the Champion will be a bit stronger in rematches?

Cyclone

Old April 14th, 2013, 04:49 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
THE strongest, (s)he would have a role in the E4 under you.
That said, it'd be pretty badass if, you were the champion, that you could choose who would be in the E4 with you. :xx Just a thought that crossed my mind!
Old April 23rd, 2013, 01:46 AM
Forever
let it go

Quote:
That said, it'd be pretty badass if, you were the champion, that you could choose who would be in the E4 with you. :xx Just a thought that crossed my mind!
If you choose... it'd have to be a choose of a few good trainers in my opinion, because choosing current characters in the story wouldn't really make sense, but younger ones can apply for it and it'd seem more realistic than just big names getting the power if you were champion.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 07:03 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Well it could be a choice between the gym leaders, and see which gym leader would fit the qualifications for E4 best. o.o
Old April 23rd, 2013, 09:26 AM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Nah. The E4 is the strongest in the region. You don't choose the strongest in the region.

Cyclone

Old April 23rd, 2013, 09:57 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Isn't the Champion the strongest out of the E4, though? With that said, wouldn't it be logical for the Champion to choose the E4 members, or does it not work like that?
Old April 23rd, 2013, 11:14 AM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
Isn't the Champion the strongest out of the E4, though? With that said, wouldn't it be logical for the Champion to choose the E4 members, or does it not work like that?
No. The Champion and E4 are the five strongest Trainers in the region. Though it would be cool if, over time, E4 members came and went. At some point after the post-E4 story, the original Champion comes back to watch over the E4 while you're away, and then you must reclaim the title again.

Cyclone

Old April 23rd, 2013, 11:40 AM
Community Supporter

Maybe we can replace the one we saw as the weakest out of the E4 with the Champion? That way we'll have the strongest four under us.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 11:54 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
No. The Champion and E4 are the five strongest Trainers in the region. Though it would be cool if, over time, E4 members came and went. At some point after the post-E4 story, the original Champion comes back to watch over the E4 while you're away, and then you must reclaim the title again.

Cyclone
Makes sense, I suppose, though would these E4 members randomly come and go while you watch over them, or...? I'm thinking that, if you were the Champion, that maybe you just get stuck with the game's pre-selected E4. It's for the sake of making things easier so people wouldn't have to get stuck with the decision of choosing anyone.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 11:55 AM
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I just had a few more ideas. With you beating the current champ and taking over their role, it'd be cool to go through the post-game as normally, but it'd have to be postponed when someone defeated the Elite Four and you had to return to defend your title. If you lost, you'd have to go back through and claim your title again, or just resume post-game stuff and return back later. But it'd be cool to have streams of trainers coming in whenever that'd be able to knock you off your throne.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 01:07 PM
Community Supporter

Maybe the champion of this game shouldn't even be set? Perhaps our actions in game could determine the champion out of a set or characters (3 to 6 (maybe representing the six stats?). Post game the ones that didn't become champion could appear and challenge us.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 03:06 PM
Cyclone
Eye of the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake♫ View Post
I just had a few more ideas. With you beating the current champ and taking over their role, it'd be cool to go through the post-game as normally, but it'd have to be postponed when someone defeated the Elite Four and you had to return to defend your title. If you lost, you'd have to go back through and claim your title again, or just resume post-game stuff and return back later. But it'd be cool to have streams of trainers coming in whenever that'd be able to knock you off your throne.
Yes, I made a similar suggestion that got moved to General once. I think I linked it earlier in this thread, actually. However, "streams" isn't the word I'd use; the purpose of the eight Gyms is to separate weak Trainers. I doubt the strongest Trainers in the region would be defeated by a whole lot of people.

Cyclone

Old April 23rd, 2013, 03:23 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Yes, I made a similar suggestion that got moved to General once. I think I linked it earlier in this thread, actually. However, "streams" isn't the word I'd use; the purpose of the eight Gyms is to separate weak Trainers. I doubt the strongest Trainers in the region would be defeated by a whole lot of people.

Cyclone
Agreeing with this! Especially if you grinded your Pokemon well, then facing your challengers should serve as no issue. However, to keep things fair and challenging, I feel that your challengers have to be at least the same level as you, y'know? Like, if you were like, level 80 or 90, then those who would challenge you would be around that level.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here