Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > The Roundtable
Reload this Page Guns

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

The Roundtable Have a seat at the Roundtable for in-depth discussions, extended or serious conversations, and current events. From world news to talks on life, growing up, relationships, and issues in society, this is the place to be. Come be a knight.

Closed Thread

Old March 28th, 2013 (10:29 AM).
Never go full retard

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by Mr. X:
Would you support the repeal of laws preventing convicted felons from being able to purchase firearms?
Dude, you don't get it. If they want a gun they will get it no matter the law quit asking dumbass questions like this okay? Stricter gun laws or any law to prevent ANYONE from getting a gun, it wouldn't stop them.
Old March 28th, 2013 (10:37 AM). Edited March 28th, 2013 by Kanzler.
naughty biscotti
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Mr. X:
Would you support the repeal of laws preventing convicted felons from being able to purchase firearms?
I would agree with this. While it might be going far to take away their voting rights, taking away their right to bear arms is fair. The second amendment shouldn't be seen so much as a "god given right", but more as a responsibility. As all of the horrors that exist are not out of responsible exercising of that right, and therefore people shouldn't see it as something that unalienable. The constitution protects rights towards the end of "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness", and if people demonstrate they're unable to do that, then they should have the right they have offended (in this case the right to keep and bear arms) taken away from them.

But ShinyUmbreon189 brings up the point that convicted felons don't acquire their arms legally, so it'll be irrelevant when it comes to its intended purpose.
#363 Spheal
Supporter Collab January 2015
mod of nothing
paired to Axeliira
Old March 28th, 2013 (11:00 AM).
Never go full retard

Quote originally posted by BlahISuck:
But ShinyUmbreon189 brings up the point that convicted felons don't acquire their arms legally, so it'll be irrelevant when it comes to its intended purpose.
This, they are convicted felons for a reason they were incarcerated for a reason, they broke the law, and to get incarcerated you have to commit more than a minor crime. If they broke the law once to get what they want they would break it again leaving the repeal against felons with guns irrelevant. You can't stop them no matter what a felon is a felon, if it's a gang member forget about it they're hood hooks them up with a piece so they're already out of the picture. Normal felons not involved with gangs and gun trading through the black market knows people as well, those people can supply them with guns or know where to get guns with no questions asked. You can't just slap a law and expect someone to follow because chances are very little of the population actually will.
Old March 28th, 2013 (11:27 AM). Edited March 28th, 2013 by Mr. X.
For Money
Crystal Tier

Nature: Quiet
While they can ignore this law, using alternative methods to get weapons, the law does effect them as it denys them a method of getting weapons.

This is what gun control is about - Making it harder for them to get weapons. Repealing the law would make it easier for them to obtain weapons - since they have a new method to use now. Not repealing them means that you believe that gun laws do affect criminals.

Either way it shows my point - The laws do have some effect on criminals.

It's a yes or no question - So is your answer yes? Or no?

Edit - Also, yes convicted felons don't buy guns. Because they can't. Repeal these laws and they would be, instead of stealing weapons, buying them instead. You don't see a average gun owner stealing weapons do you? No. You don't. Know why? Because he can buy them instead.

Come play Runescape
Old March 28th, 2013 (12:00 PM).
Never go full retard

I'm not answering it because it wont do anything, you're point isn't valid. If a felon wants to get one, they will get one they don't care. That's like saying someone that was incarcerated for selling dope won't continue to sell and do dope, they will.

Old March 28th, 2013 (12:44 PM).
For Money
Crystal Tier

Your refusing to answer it because, deep down, you know I'm right. The laws do make it harder for criminals to obtain guns.

Come play Runescape
Old March 28th, 2013 (05:46 PM).
Guide of Darkness
Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by ShinyUmbreon189:
I'm not answering it because it wont do anything, you're point isn't valid. If a felon wants to get one, they will get one they don't care. That's like saying someone that was incarcerated for selling dope won't continue to sell and do dope, they will.
But that's true of anything though.

If someone wants to murder, they're going to do it regardless of if its illegal. Or steal. It's illegal, people still do it. So, why have the law then?
Old March 28th, 2013 (07:12 PM).
Never go full retard

Quote originally posted by TRIFORCE89:
But that's true of anything though.

If someone wants to murder, they're going to do it regardless of if its illegal. Or steal. It's illegal, people still do it. So, why have the law then?
I'm responding to X because he thinks restricted gun laws will make it harder for them to get guns when it wont. They will find a way to get a gun, they're criminals not law abiding citizens. It's like saying yea, we can't sell you this gun because of you're criminal background, what's he do? Get's a hook up from his friend, to get a gun you don't have to purchase it through the system and for some reason he don't realize that.
Old March 28th, 2013 (07:18 PM). Edited March 28th, 2013 by Mr. X.
For Money
Crystal Tier

No, I'm asking if you would support the repeal of laws that prohibit felons from buying and owning weapons.

It's a yes or no question, one that you have time after time danced around.

I've explained the meanings behind the answers - It's time for you to give a straight answer. If your beliefs are truely as strong as you say they are, then you should have no issues giving a straight answer.

Would you support repealing the laws that prohibit convicted felons from being able to purchase and own firearms?

Time to stop dancing around - Do right by whatever your real beliefs are and answer it loud and proud. Yes? Or No?

Edit - Triforce has a point. Murder is illegal - Still, it happens despite what the law says.

This is what you are ignoring - Laws have never been about stopping every instance of something. It's about preventing as many as possiable. While it doesn't have much effect on the hardcore criminals - I'll agree, they just don't care - it does prevent your average person from committing crimes as a spur of the moment thing.

Come play Runescape
Old March 28th, 2013 (07:36 PM).
Never go full retard

I'm not answering the question because you have it twisted, gun laws wont effect them. But to answer truthfully, yes they should restrict criminals from purchasing guns, will it work? No, but once in a blue moon you may have this criminal that turns his life around and obeys the law, but it's a really big if.

Old March 28th, 2013 (07:39 PM). Edited March 28th, 2013 by Mr. X.
For Money
Crystal Tier

Explain just what is twisted about the question - Seems pretty straight to me. It's specific and a direct responce to one of your own statements - That gun laws have no affect on criminals. One that showed that laws do have an affect on them.

Come play Runescape
Old March 28th, 2013 (07:44 PM).
Never go full retard

It's a trick question. It's pretty much saying, they're easier to get or they won't get them when they will. It wont effect them.

Old March 28th, 2013 (07:51 PM).
For Money
Crystal Tier

So you would support the repeal of laws prohibing felons from buying and owning weapons?

You've yet to give a straight yes or no answer.

Edit - It's not a trick question. I really don't see why your having so much trouble giving a straight answer - If your as strong in your beliefs as you say you are, this question should be easy to answer. It's a question that forces you to question your own beliefs, yes - But as long as you are strong in them, you shouldn't have issues answering.

Come play Runescape
Old March 28th, 2013 (07:57 PM).
Never go full retard

I already said yes they should restrict them from buying and owning but it wont stop them is what I'm saying. They wont follow the law they will have them no matter the consequences. You're pretty much saying they will follow the law or making it easier to get which is wrong on you're end.

Old March 28th, 2013 (08:05 PM).
For Money
Crystal Tier

Thanks for the, somewhat, straight answer.

But - If the law is so useless, then why would you support it?

Come play Runescape
Old March 28th, 2013 (08:07 PM).
Never go full retard

Because you never know, it may effect one in 100, not saying it will but some criminals turn they're lives around.

Old March 28th, 2013 (08:09 PM).
For Money
Crystal Tier

But how can you call the law useless if, by your own admission, it may have an effect?

Come play Runescape
Old March 28th, 2013 (08:12 PM).
Never go full retard

Yes it's mainly useless because a majority or well above a majority wont follow it but that one person will. 100 something is better than 0 if you ask me. I don't think the law is necessary but if it came up I wouldn't mind it is what I meant to say. I'm really tired so misreading and mistyping a little here.

Old March 28th, 2013 (08:17 PM).
For Money
Crystal Tier

Useless would mean that it does nothing at all, or has a negative benefit.

If its useless, why say it could have a positive effect? If it has, even the slightest, positive effect then it wouldn't be useless - It would be useful.

If it's not necessary, why support it?

Come play Runescape
Old March 28th, 2013 (08:19 PM).
Never go full retard

Then I don't support it, it wouldn't do anything. I'm more tired than normal so sorry for the confusion.

Old March 28th, 2013 (08:28 PM).
For Money
Crystal Tier

You know how easy it is to buy a gun?

Even with the background checks, 15-20 mins tops. (Pistol or rifle) Not that much time really - And you'd be buying the weapon at regular market value. Some variation on store or state, but usually nothing more then half a hour.

But convicted felons can't do this - They have to take more time, some risk, and more resources it order to obtain their weapons. Buying it off of someone else or stealing it are their main options. Both of which are harder then walking into a store, filling out a form, waiting for the person to run a background check, and walking out with a gun. But repealing the laws prohibiting felons from being able to purchase weapons would open up to them this method.

With gun crime being as rampant as it is, how would giving criminals another avenue to obtain weapons make the gun crime rate go down?

Come play Runescape
Old March 28th, 2013 (08:41 PM).
Never go full retard

As I said even in they can't get a gun legally they will do it illegally, nothing will stop them. Crime wouldn't go down even a full blown ban on guns wouldn't effect the crime. Most of the crime is gang affiliated anyways.

Old March 28th, 2013 (08:53 PM).
For Money
Crystal Tier

Making it harder for them to obtain guns wouldn't reduce crime - But making it easier for them to obtain guns will?

Come play Runescape
Old March 28th, 2013 (09:07 PM).
Never go full retard

Neither method will help nor benefit with crime. Both will still have crime and gun shootings regardless it can't be controlled. There's nothing we can do about it, it's just the way it is.

Old March 29th, 2013 (01:42 AM).
Goomba of wisdom
CS

Send a message via Skype™ to Went
I don't agree that some God cursed the US with regular mass shootings every week, mostly because there are dozens of countries where these things don't happen every week, or every month, or every year, but rather once in a decade or even more infrequently. Certainly, you can always have a crazy maniac getting guns and killing a hundred people as it happened in Norway a few years ago, but when you get crazy maniacs doing that every Thursday, maybe you need to consider that there is something that is being done wrong and which can be changed.

Gun violence is entirely a man-made problem, and, as such, can by solved by men. There are many things you can do about it, as many other countries have done. And guess what! I can't remember the last time there was a mass shooting in the UK and I feel much safer there than in a place where everybody is carrying a weapon that could kill you in a blink.

Sponsored Links