Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources
Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old March 25th, 2013, 01:54 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Nature: Quiet

Advertise here
Hey guys, and welcome to my tool showcase!

Battle Script Pro
Spoiler:
This helps you to create new effects for moves, and slightly simplifies the actual insertion of a battle script as the tool compiles and inserts it for you!

This thread is ONLY for the tool itself and related discussions. Please do NOT ask questions about the scripting language itself here. Direct your queries about the Scripting Language itself to here.

Please also ensure you have updated to the latest .NET framework.

Features:
Dynamic Offsets - Searches for free space to insert into on your behalf
SQLite Database - Uses an SQLite database to store the commands and information related to them. Quick and small in size!
Coded in C#.Net - Simply the language I am most comfortable with. Sorry Mac/Linux users!
Tabbed Interface - Like XSE, you can have several scripts open at any one time. Makes for easier editing, or even copy and pasting!
Decompilation - Decompiles scripts from the ROM. This is known to be a little slow and buggy and is still in development.
Compilation - Compiles scripts. Well, what else would you expect a Script Editor to do?
Custom Commands - Allows you to define custom commands using a (hopefully) simple format in the commands header file.
XSE Style Definitions - Allows you to define certain strings to have a certain value. Can make scripting easier.

Currently, it only "supports" BPRE, as I haven't added the necessary data to the INIs to support any other ROM, but if this data were to be added, it would work perfectly well.

Note, what this actually means is that the tool won't be able to decompile battle scripts from the effect table, and you won't be able to use the "keywords" I have defined. It will still be able to insert, and decompile, scripts to any given ROM.

Now, I hear you ask, "What do you mean by 'keywords'"?

Good question, sir/madam! What it actually means is that it allows you commonly used offsets by referencing a "keyword".

Eg, I want to check what move is being executed, and jump somewhere if it is this move, say Pound. Normally, you'd have to do this:
Code:
jumpifhalfword 0x0 0x02023D4A 0x1 @somewhere
But with "keywords", you can do this instead:
Code:
jumpifhalfword B_== move MOVE_POUND @somewhere
I feel that the latter is easier to understand, since you don't need to remember the various RAM Locations!

So, to the nitty gritty stuff.
Compiler Directives:
Spoiler:
#org - Defines the start of any script segment or a jump anchor.
#define - Lets you define some text string to have a specific associated value.
#include - Lets you include a header file. The header files themselves are just lists of #defines.
#dynamic - Defines the starting search location for dynamically assigned scripts. Necessary if you have any dynamic offsets anywhere in your script. Note, you can have more than 1 #dynamic to assign different parts of the script to different areas of the ROM. I don't know why you would want to do that, but I digress.
#freespacebyte - This allows you to define what byte is regarded as free space in your ROM. Unless you explicitly tell the tool otherwise, the tool will use 0xFF as the free space byte.

Keywords:
Spoiler:
baselocationbattledata
baselocationpartydata
attacker
target
attackpartner
targetpartner
move
battletype
terrainbyte
weather
weatherturns
numberofpokemon
attackdamage
knockedoffitem
loopcounter
currentposition
outcome
effectchooser
multistringchooser
attackmultiplier
statchange

Here are some screenshots: Note, these screenshots are actually a little out of date, as I've redesigned the interface since I took them.
Spoiler:

The Main Interface

The Main Interface with some scripts open

The Goto Line Interface

The Find Text Interface

The Find and Replace Interface

A decompiled script, with some basic formatting in place

So you know, this tool is still in development, so if you have any sensible feature requests, or any ideas, or whatever, let me know! I'll try my best to implement them if I like them!

I've tested this quite thoroughly, but I can't guarantee it's bug free. So do let me know if you encounter any bugs. Note, by bugs, I mean occasions where the tool actually crashes or displays garbage data or something. Not occasions where the tool complains about "Unknown Commands" because I know of these and coded in checks to ensure that the tool wouldn't crash when it hit such a command.

Without any further ado: the tool itself.

After downloading, you must press F5 or Help -> Update Database in order to get the most up to date version of the database available. This way, I can ensure that you can easily access the database.

Unnamed Trainer Editor
Spoiler:
A new trainer editor which correctly labels the AI and IV values, as well as supporting reading from an INI to help ensure that it should be future proof!
Attached Files
File Type: zip UnnamedTrainerEditor.zip‎ (37.7 KB, 1077 views) (Save to Dropbox)
File Type: zip BSP.zip‎ (1.23 MB, 661 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Hey guys, please check out my recreations of the gen 1 and 2 music on my custom engine at my SoundCloud! - Here!

Last edited by Jambo51; September 10th, 2013 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Updating BSP to 0.9.5.0 and Unnamed Trainer Editor to 0.7.0.0
Old March 25th, 2013, 02:21 AM
Aryan143
The Fennekin Fan!

Nature: Modest
Wow completely amazing tool. It will help in my hack and others too.

Please click both of these links once in a day and help us grow:

Old March 25th, 2013, 03:20 AM
robin22gongon

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to robin22gongon
Judging the screenshots, it IS user-friendly, right?
Is it hard to make battle scripts?
Sorry for the noob question but is there a battle script tutorial included?
LET'S PARTY!
Old March 25th, 2013, 03:32 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin22gongon View Post
Judging the screenshots, it IS user-friendly, right?
Is it hard to make battle scripts?
Sorry for the noob question but is there a battle script tutorial included?
No, but I'm currently waiting on a tutorial thread to be approved. As to user friendliness, you tell me. It looks OK to me, but I'm likely to be biased. Feedback is always appreciated!
Hey guys, please check out my recreations of the gen 1 and 2 music on my custom engine at my SoundCloud! - Here!
Old March 25th, 2013, 03:51 AM
robin22gongon

Oh, I hope that thread gets approved soon. Yep checked it. It's definitely user friendly for those who learned scripting. So for anyone who plans to use this, learn scripting in XSE first. BTW Jambo51, tool's great! It works real smooth. Thanks!
LET'S PARTY!
Old March 25th, 2013, 03:55 AM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
whoa, this is really awesome. I'm getting lots of ideas for signature moves for fakemon now...
Old March 25th, 2013, 03:58 AM
itari
悪魔の妹
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
This tool looks very nice.
It's good to see a battle script editor finally released!
Old March 25th, 2013, 05:58 PM
robin22gongon

Oh hey there! Jambo51, can we apply battle scripts on wild Pokemon?
LET'S PARTY!
Old March 25th, 2013, 10:26 PM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Battle scripts can be specifically applied to wild Pokémon, yes. Their most common use is for moves, but realistically, they can be used for several purposes when you manipulate them correctly.
Old March 26th, 2013, 02:54 PM
HyperXhydra

Wow, I was hoping for a tool to change move effects!, I think I said it in one of the research threads, thanks a lot.
Old March 27th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Hey guys, this is just a post to advise you that you should update the tool and all the data files. I didn't realise when I put together the .RAR before that I was bundling an outdated version of the .exe file. Sorry about that!

I also changed it to a .ZIP file since that tends to be an easier format to decompress.
Old March 27th, 2013, 07:59 PM
Darthatron
巨大なトロール。
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Jambo Jambo Jambo! Can I please import my syntax highlighting in to it? Please oh please?
あなた は しきしゃ です
わたし は ばか です
Old March 27th, 2013, 11:14 PM
KennyKid
scipter

Oh Jambo, it's fantastic! Maybe in future I'll use it for my hack.
Thank again

Quick way to edit palettes, indexing sprites and insert tileset
Old March 28th, 2013, 02:49 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthatron View Post
Jambo Jambo Jambo! Can I please import my syntax highlighting in to it? Please oh please?
Uh, speak to me on the IRC when you get a chance, and we can discuss this. I tried to add to add it before, but there were problems with its implementation.
Old April 3rd, 2013, 05:53 PM
destinedjagold
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
I have a question though.

Quote:
This helps you to create new effects for moves, and slightly simplifies the actual insertion of a battle script as the tool compiles and inserts it for you!
So, basically, this tool will only add effects to already-existing (or newly inserted) moves, right? :3
Old April 4th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedjagold View Post
I have a question though.

So, basically, this tool will only add effects to already-existing (or newly inserted) moves, right? :3
Well, yes and no. You can wholesale replace move effects if you so desire, and it's quite happy to insert into new move effect slots if you tell it to.

But the tool itself won't do the hard work of repointing the tables which need to be repointed to add new moves, nor will it insert the necessary asm and movesets for if you want to have more than 0x1FF moves in total.
Old April 19th, 2013, 09:15 PM
MrDollSteak
Formerly known as 11bayerf1

I've been having problems with the most recent version. Whenever I want to decompile or compile anything on a rom, it either causes the 'unhandled exception' message, or says the rom is unable to read. I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem?

I have changed the location of the move effect table and have replaced the .ini accordingly. I've even tried using it on a blank fire red rom and couldn't get it to work either.

If anyone knows a solution, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old April 20th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

Could you be more specific?

Are you getting any other error messages, anywhere?

If nothing else, send me a copy of the "Unhandled Exception" error logs in a PM and I'll see what is causing the issues.

ETA: It looks somewhat like the executable or the inis or something got corrupted in the last upload. I've reuploaded now, with a nice new feature too!

Last edited by Jambo51; April 23rd, 2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 05:25 PM
Kurapika
Grudgebearer

Nature: Naughty
Hi Jambo,
I am unable to do anything with BSP, I keep getting this error:
Spoiler:

and, here is the log, sorry it is partly in French: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=0fU1akw0
Old April 24th, 2013, 02:08 AM
Shadowraze
Love and Peace

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Shadowraze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurapika View Post
Hi Jambo,
I am unable to do anything with BSP, I keep getting this error:
Spoiler:

and, here is the log, sorry it is partly in French: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=0fU1akw0
Try downloading the tool again. I have that problem a few hours ago and have bugged Jambo to fix it nonstop. It's practically a missing DLL just for you to know. :3
Old April 24th, 2013, 02:08 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

To all of you who were having issues, I tracked down the problem, and included the relevant files in the BSP download. I also fixed a minor compiling bug.

Update, and decompile/compile to your heart's content!

Enjoy!
Old April 24th, 2013, 02:52 AM
MrDollSteak
Formerly known as 11bayerf1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
To all of you who were having issues, I tracked down the problem, and included the relevant files in the BSP download. I also fixed a minor compiling bug.

Update, and decompile/compile to your heart's content!

Enjoy!
Thanks Jambo! Great work. I've been playing with it for awhile now and it is just awesome!
Old April 24th, 2013, 03:37 AM
Eren Jaeger
Pianoist

Nature: Serious
This makes some of my work easier. oh life.
Music is art
Old April 24th, 2013, 05:33 AM
Kurapika
Grudgebearer

Nature: Naughty
Ugh, now it doesn't even launch for me. ;_; As soon as I execute it this wild crash message shows up:
Spoiler:

Log, (in French sorry): http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=RcKcTMBa
Old April 24th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka

OK, all you guys should re-download, and I have rebuilt the executable to version 0.9.0.0.
This version includes some extra decompiling options, and is, to the best of my knowledge, free of these bugs.

The entire programme, data and all will need updated, since I've added a lot of new stuff. If you have edited your ini in any way, back it up, and after the update, merge it with the new one.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here