Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media
Reload this Page The Football Discussion Thread!

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Old June 4th, 2013 (09:08 AM).
Nuke

Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
It seems Sevilla are being pillaged of all their players now.

First Navas to City now Negredo to West Ham, who next?

I do have to wonder if West Ham have some high ambitions this season if they're planning to outlay £15m on Carroll and then nearly the same fee on Negredo.
Old June 4th, 2013 (09:31 AM).
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter

I was going to say "West Ham, that's a bit of a step down". But actually, Sevilla only gained 4 more points than West Ham. Although they had a much better goal difference, 4 - this presumably because of Negredo.
I think everyone has high ambitions this season, but with Joe Cole to supply Negredo and Carroll (although I hope the latter gets his desired wage-drop transfer back to Newcastle), goals should be aplenty for WH next season, interesting to see where it lands them.

I would say Sevilla are the Spanish Arsenal, considering 3 years ago they sold Dani Alves and Christian Poulsen but...9th. That's a rapid fall from champions league qualification in previous seasons.
Old June 4th, 2013 (09:32 AM).
Weeaboo Name
Banned

Nature: Gentle
Looks like they're trying to break the 60 point barrier with brute spending power. I'm guessing their board sense that Everton could be replaced as the top of the rest team.
Old June 5th, 2013 (06:54 AM).
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter

Yeah, with all likelihood Martinez' more flowing, attacking football will leave them with a defence as bad as United's was in 2012, without a Van Persie up front to make sure they always score more than they let in :P
Particularly if Leighton Baines follows Moyes. Or leaves somewhere else, I could see Mourinho registering an interest in him too, he's not really that great at bringing through the youth (although when he does, they tend to be brilliant, like Balotelli at Inter), so he's probably going to be looking to replace Ashley Cole before he fades too much. Although he could get a second wind like Evra seems to have.
Old June 6th, 2013 (01:29 PM).
Weeaboo Name
Banned

>Manchester City have completed the signing of Shakhtar Donetsk midfielder Fernandinho for a fee of about £30m
>mfw

Old June 6th, 2013 (01:40 PM).
Nuke

Community Supporter

I can't see this being a good signing at all. I don't know much about the player apart from Football Manager knowledge, but I doubt he's ever going to live up to that price tag.

Oh holy crap he's 28, yeah terrible signing.
Old June 6th, 2013 (01:40 PM).
Nuke

Community Supporter

I can't see this being a good signing at all. I don't know much about the player apart from Football Manager knowledge, but I doubt he's ever going to live up to that price tag.

Oh holy crap he's 28, yeah terrible signing.
Old June 6th, 2013 (02:02 PM). Edited June 6th, 2013 by Weeaboo Name.
Weeaboo Name
Banned

A 28 year old Robin van Persie cost less and Man City don't even have a manager right now. Hilarious.

Edit - Finally some Norwich goss, even if it is Da Mail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2337134/Norwich-City-enquiry-Liverpools-Jonjo-Shelvey.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
Old June 6th, 2013 (02:14 PM).
Nuke

Community Supporter

It'll be even more fun when Pellegrini their new manager wants to sign a better player for less and then the owner forces him to play Fernandinho. I can see this leading to a managerial resignation at some point, it appears to be like Shevchenko all over again.
Old June 6th, 2013 (02:27 PM).
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter

Or Torres :)

Also, breaking news! Apparently Arsenal are bidding £22million for Fellaini, activating his release clause! Now personally I don't like this because a) Arsenal will be even stronger in midfield, where they already excel (Rosicky, who barely plays as far as I can tell, may still be one of the most gifted attacking midfielders in the Premiership), b) It'll pressure United into trying to reunite him with Moyes at great cost, which I don't want as I dislike him and I'd rather they add any money to Chevy's "Ronaldo fund", and c) It'll deplete Everton, whom I much prefer over Liverpool.
Old June 6th, 2013 (02:33 PM).
Weeaboo Name
Banned

A signal of intent from Arse I guess.
Old June 9th, 2013 (02:45 PM).
Weeaboo Name
Banned

Rumours that Arsenal are going to sign Lars Bender.

I can't imagine he'd sell many shirts though.
Old June 10th, 2013 (03:42 AM).
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter

Haha, he'd sell plenty, they'd get record profits from shirt sales to non-Arsenal fans :P

just seen this:

Dortmund told Bayern they're not getting Lewandowski

Personally, I'm really glad about this. The fact that they were even considering buying Götze and Lewandowski shows why the PL is a superior league - even if City and Chelsea had to become billionaire's pet projects to make it more competitive, at least t hey did. Obviously I'd love him to come to United - I would imagine a swap deal for Rooney would even be possible, and much as I love him if he's going to demand a transfer every 2 years then we need to get rid. Plus he could be reunited with Kagawa, which has great potential.
I do think Dortmund need to sell him this summer though - Julian Schieber is nowhere near that class, and they're going to need more than just Götze's transfer money to buy a new striker and attacking midfielder. I don't even care if he goes to Man City (yeah no, I'd hate it if he did) Chelsea or Arsenal, as long as FC Hollywood don't get him xD
Old June 10th, 2013 (03:52 AM).
Nauje
A sofa in San Tropez...
Community Supporter

I hope Jose doesn't bring any new attacking midfielders for us. We have three amazing starters already in Mata, Hazard and Oscar, and Lucas Piazon and De Bruyne look pretty impressive so far. Also glad to see Lukaku staying for the season and not going on loan; can see him starting for us only next season :D

Fernandinho to City for £30M was hilarious.
Old June 10th, 2013 (04:12 AM).
Nuke

Community Supporter

Lukaku is definitely better than Torres now and Ba hasn't been as impressive for Chelsea as he has been for Newcastle. Maybe Lukaku could help either Torres or Ba get to form as their strike partner. If not, he's more than deserving to go upfront as the lone striker in place of them.

I'm really hoping someone major moves soon or, better yet, someone moves to Boro.
Old June 10th, 2013 (04:16 AM).
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter

Try for Torres? :P
Hmm...I think Lukaku will be a brilliant lone striker for Chelsea, he's the closest thing they've got to Drogba's heir. But Torres has still got it, as seen by that goal in the Europa League final. Ba on the other hand...overrated? He didn't score from when Newcastle signed Cisse til the end of 11/12 season. His goal against United in the FA Cup was pretty decent, but plenty of strikers in the PL can score like that when you've got Mata, Hazard, Oscar and Lampard playing behind you.
Old June 10th, 2013 (05:28 AM).
Nuke

Community Supporter

If only we could sign someone like Torres :P

To be fair Newcastle played Ba out wide for a while when Cisse signed, but yeah I think he might have had two impressive runs of form for them which made him look better than he is. Chelsea only paid £7m for him though so they'll get value for money either way.
Old June 10th, 2013 (06:01 AM).
Weeaboo Name
Banned

Heard a rumour whilst at work today that Norwich are trying to bring in Marko Marin from Chelsea. I know it's probably a load of bull but it's nice to dream.

I hope Jose gives Lakaku a real chance next season, he's a monster.
Old June 10th, 2013 (07:58 AM).
Nauje
A sofa in San Tropez...
Community Supporter

As much as I like Ba, his nothing on his day compared to Torres when his on fire. I don't feel like we need another striker but if Jose does bring someone else in I would be more inclined to sell Ba than Torres. But I don't think we need another striker anyway, so hopefully we don't have to sell any of the two.

I feel sorry for Marin, I wanted to see more of him but he ended up coming on for like three games or something aha
Old June 10th, 2013 (08:29 AM).
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter

No, you don't need another one. You just need Lukaku back and playing regularly. Sell Ba, have Torres and Lukaku as your main two - problem solved xD
Old June 10th, 2013 (08:39 AM).
Weeaboo Name
Banned

Papers were saying Chelsea want Cavani and Hulk. Could be interesting.

Also interesting is the supposed 12 million pound West Ham bid for Wilfried Bony. A player I've really wanted to see in England for quite a while now.
Old June 10th, 2013 (08:44 AM).
Nuke

Community Supporter

West Ham will be great on FM next season.

As we mentioned previously, it seems West Ham are going to make a real push this season.
Old June 11th, 2013 (06:26 AM).
Weeaboo Name
Banned

Finally some solid looking transfer news at Norwich. It seems we're willing to pay PSV's 4.7 million pound asking price for their Sweden international forward Ola Toivonen. Can't say I know a lot about him but from his youtube vids he looks like a ready made Grant Holt replacement, especially the one where he elbows and gets people sent off.
Old June 11th, 2013 (12:48 PM).
Arx
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to Arx
So Haiti(my home town) managed to make a 2-2 with Italy. So proud of them since we were terrible not so long ago. Also we lost 2-1 to Spain earlier with a wonderful goal.
Old June 11th, 2013 (01:39 PM).
Nuke

Community Supporter

Quote originally posted by -Lapras-:
Finally some solid looking transfer news at Norwich. It seems we're willing to pay PSV's 4.7 million pound asking price for their Sweden international forward Ola Toivonen. Can't say I know a lot about him but from his youtube vids he looks like a ready made Grant Holt replacement, especially the one where he elbows and gets people sent off.
He played for PSV against us in a friendly nearly two years ago and I barely noticed him despite his blonde locks. Obviously it's one game so it can't really say much for the player's ability, another ambitious recruit for Norwich if it comes off.

That's a brilliant result for Haiti, I'm surprised it hasn't gained more coverage.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links