Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media
Reload this Page The Football Discussion Thread!

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Old June 18th, 2013 (09:26 AM).
Banned

Nature: Gentle
I'm yet to fully comprehend the new ffp rules, from what I understand though Norwich would have to pull off quite a few QPR style signings to go far enough into the red that the sanctions hit. McNally and Hughton don't seem to be the type to sign players on stupid wages so it shouldn't be a problem.
Old June 18th, 2013 (09:39 AM).

Gold Tier

Nature: Relaxed
I'm fairly certain Norwich will be fine with the new rules, as long as you said they don't go on a crazy spending spree. We might struggle with ours, as Gibson (our owner) still invests around 800k a month in the club just to cope with the costs of Strachan's terrible signings three years ago.
Old June 18th, 2013 (09:57 AM).
Banned

Surely those signings are nearing the ends of their contracts now? Or does GS not realise they're no good?
Old June 18th, 2013 (10:04 AM). Edited June 18th, 2013 by Amore.
Now stand up and begin
Gold Tier

Speaking of silly money...

Quote originally posted by The Independent:
A club-record £15m transfer fee has been agreed with Liverpool and the striker has flown back from holiday in the United States to finalise the switch.

The Evening Standard reports that the England striker will be offered a six-year deal worth £100,000-a-week. Should the 24-year-old see out his contract then he will cost the club £31m in wages. Together with his fee, it means a potential outlay of £46m for a player who scored seven goals in 25 appearances while on loan at the club last season.
As it says - £46m on a player who scored 7 in 25 and has to physically assault goalkeepers to score past them (De Gea). Also, here's his Bebo page, seeing as I saw a link on Facebook: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=4957197631.

EDIT: Also, Spurs rumoured to be interested in Paulinho for circa£15mil? Good buy, I say. He's looked impressive for Brazil. He's not Oscar, but he can be defensive or offensive depending on what's required, and isn't bad at either (goals against England and Japan suggest he's best deployed as an attacking midfielder).

And I'd be really surprised if Norwich fell foul of ffp. City are going to get by simply by making losses of only £100mil this year.
Old June 18th, 2013 (10:18 AM).

Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by -Lapras-:
Surely those signings are nearing the ends of their contracts now? Or does GS not realise they're no good?
Basically we'd be making a loss anyway due to our low attendances, so with that in addition to the debt from the fees and wages of the players Strachan signed back then, we're losing money quick. I think the only player we have left that we don't want from Strachan's era is McDonald, but he was probably the highest paid back then (on 35k reportedly). A few of Mowbray's crappy signings won't leave either which doesn't help.

Quote originally posted by Amore:
Speaking of silly money...

As it says - £46m on a player who scored 7 in 25 and has to physically assault goalkeepers to score past them (De Gea). Also, here's his Bebo page, seeing as I saw a link on Facebook: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=4957197631.

EDIT: Also, Spurs rumoured to be interested in Paulinho for circa£15mil? Good buy, I say. He's looked impressive for Brazil. He's not Oscar, but he can be defensive or offensive depending on what's required, and isn't bad at either (goals against England and Japan suggest he's best deployed as an attacking midfielder).

And I'd be really surprised if Norwich fell foul of ffp. City are going to get by simply by making losses of only £100mil this year.
I just read this news before looking in the thread, it's ridiculous. If he'd been a really successful player for West Ham then fair enough, but he was injured most of the season.
Old June 18th, 2013 (10:22 AM).
Banned

I agree those wages are silly. He's an important player in that side though, considering how Big Sam likes to play.

Can't say I know a lot about Paulinho. After a bit of research he seems useful, the sort of player Spurs need in their team.
Old June 18th, 2013 (10:28 AM).
Now stand up and begin
Gold Tier

Looking at the stats you've got to appreciate just how overrated Carroll has been. He scored 19 goals one season in the Championship, and when he left Newcastle he'd scored 11 in 20. Even in the silly money leagues at 20-goal per season striker isn't worth the same money as Lucas Moura.
Although I suppose similar arguments could've been made when United signed Rooney, except he'd just set an international tournament alight, so that's quite impressive (he scored 4, one less than Fernando Torres scored to get the Golden Boot / Shoe / Clog at Euro 2012).
Old June 18th, 2013 (10:40 AM).
Banned

Lots of clubs would pay massive money for a 20 goal per season premier league striker.

He isn't only goals though, winning the ball in the air, holding it up and annoying opposition fans are all great attributes for a striker.

I think most clubs would love to have Carroll in their side.
Old June 18th, 2013 (10:55 AM).
Now stand up and begin
Gold Tier

Well, mid-table clubs. Top-end you need to have more than just strength and a decent right/left foot, increasingly so these days. Most top clubs want a Robert Lewandowski - tall and bulky enough to not be pushed around too easily, but with some serious ball skills as well.
I'm not saying he's not a good fit for West Ham. More that he was initially overpriced by about £20million when Liverpool bought him, and now I seriously can't see why people value him so highly.
Actually looking at the current tables I see your point about a 20-goal per season striker. But what's more likely is that if he hadn't left Newcastle he wouldn't have hit 20 goals anyway. Also a little interesting note - Dimitar Berbatov scored 15 goals in the league last season. Really can't understand why Fergie spent so much money on him only to ditch him to the bench with Owen after getting two good seasons from him (09/10, 10/11). Oh and also that Michael Owen hit 3 in 4 in 2011/12. So tragic that he became so injury-prone. Was one of the best strikers England have ever had.
Old June 18th, 2013 (11:04 AM).
Banned

If utilised correctly he'd be a good player at even the top clubs.

If I was England manager I'd set up with him leading the line.
Old June 18th, 2013 (11:15 AM).
Now stand up and begin
Gold Tier

Really? I think Sturridge, Welbeck, Rooney and Walcott combined is the way forward. I'd play a form of 4-2-3-1 / 4-4-1-1 employed by Liverpool and United. Sturridge as No.9 (he scored 11 in 16 for Liverpool mainly playing that role), Rooney as No.10, Walcott out right playing very offensively, Welbeck either as a sub, taking Sturridge's place in the starting line-up, or stuck out on the left doing tireless running like Giggs - how United have played him.
Old June 18th, 2013 (11:21 AM).

Gold Tier

I was really disappointed with Berbatov's treatment at Man Utd, he's one of my favourite players (one of only two players I've had names printed on a shirt) and was clearly doing more than a good enough job still at United. He had been the top scorer the last season then suddenly he was demoted to the bench behind average players like Chicarito, so that was disappointing. He could have went somewhere better than Fulham also.
Old June 18th, 2013 (11:37 AM).
Banned

I think Berba is the type of player that needs to have a team built around him, I can see why United moved him on and why other top sides didn't go in for him. He's a brilliant player to watch so I'm just glad he stayed in England.

My England squad would include names like Rickie Lambert, Adam Lallana and Kevin Nolan.

I think if Sturridge works out that passing the ball is an effective method of retaining possession he might come good.

There are so many players from recent squads that shouldn't be. I cough up blood at the thought of James Milner in an England shirt.
Old June 18th, 2013 (11:38 AM).
Now stand up and begin
Gold Tier

Yeah, but I think part of it was wanting to get out fast now RVP was here, and also he probably wanted to be main man after being reduced to a similar role to Michael Owen at United. He got both.
Just saw this on Twitter:

The only point I overwhelmingly disagree with (you can argue Ronaldo's both 2 and 3, I know I would) is "4. Mourinho destroyed Kaka". Kaka hasn't been destroyed, his role has been reduced vastly, and that in turn has limited his effectiveness (I saw Madrid vs. Celtic in a pre-season friendly last summer on t.v, Kaka was the star of the show). Part of the reason is that in 2009-10, when he joined, so to did Cristiano Ronaldo, for an even larger transfer fee. Both of them actually got injured in that campaign from what I remember, but Kaka was out significantly longer. Then in 2010-11 he was replaced by a much superior player in Mesut Özil - the man's provided >10 goals and >20 assists per season for the next 3 seasons. Kaka's output had dropped slightly in 08-09 anyway, perhaps Madrid just accelerated his decline. But it most certainly wasn't Mourinho's fault - he arrived at the same time as Özil, after Kaka had already been there a season.

Phew, rant over.

EDIT: YES -Lapras-!! Milner has his qualities, well a quality - he never runs out of energy. Neither does Park Ji Sung, and look where he's at. If he were to play anywhere for England it should be in the middle, and we have too much quality there. Playing him on the wing is going out declaring ourselves underdogs - hence why we usually live up to that tag by losing - like when United stuck Rooney out wide against Madrid.

I would almost certainly stick Wilshere and Cleverly in the midfield as our future dynamic duo. Oxlade-Chamberlain probably on the left. The only place that worries me is defence - I can see Jones and Cahill at CB, Baines on the left with Bertrand as an understudy, but who at RB?
Old June 18th, 2013 (12:02 PM).

Gold Tier

Well there's still another few years to be had out of Glen Johnson and then anyone from Kelly, Smalling, Walker, Flanagan or maybe other young RBs I haven't heard of could take his place. That said if you're allowing Baines in the team, Johnson is younger than him anyway.
Old June 18th, 2013 (12:22 PM).
Fantasy Dreamer

Nature: Modest
Quote originally posted by Amore:

EDIT: YES -Lapras-!! Milner has his qualities, well a quality - he never runs out of energy. Neither does Park Ji Sung, and look where he's at. If he were to play anywhere for England it should be in the middle, and we have too much quality there. Playing him on the wing is going out declaring ourselves underdogs - hence why we usually live up to that tag by losing - like when United stuck Rooney out wide against Madrid.

I would almost certainly stick Wilshere and Cleverly in the midfield as our future dynamic duo. Oxlade-Chamberlain probably on the left. The only place that worries me is defence - I can see Jones and Cahill at CB, Baines on the left with Bertrand as an understudy, but who at RB?
I don’t agree with Betrand being an understudy to Baines, I’ve watched a lot of Bertrand and I really don’t see him as a quality player and one that should be playing a lot of international football at that. I would rather see a player like Gibbs who with some training can be a player in the Baines mould, an attacking full back. At right back Nathaniel Clyne seems like an exciting prospect and the fact that he can also play left back is a plus too.
Old June 18th, 2013 (01:10 PM).
Now stand up and begin
Gold Tier

Hm...I was grasping at straws. I just thought - "he did alright in the Champions League Final, which was also his debut". Gibbs would be better - although the fact that Arsenal signed Monreal suggests Arsene Wenger isn't going to rely on him any time soon. Kyle Walker could be RB too. Or Milner, seeing as Roy Hodgson loves him so much. As long as we keep him out of the final 3rd.
I'm also looking forward to when Nick Powell makes his way into the United 1st team (I see him being loaned to the Championship next season) - his debut goal showed the lad's got class. (I say "lad", he's less than a year older than me xD).
Old June 18th, 2013 (01:16 PM).

Gold Tier

We'll take Powell off your hands. :P To be fair, after we agreed to keep playing McEachran last season when he was absolute *insert expletive here*, we've probably earned the trust of big clubs to loan their players.

Also, don't you just love the frequency of sports journalists' mistakes.

Quote originally posted by Sky Sports News:
Paraguayan striker Javier Acuna has confirmed that he has offers to move to England, with Middlesbrough, Nottingham Forest and Middlesbrough reportedly keen.
I'll let the fact that the link has already been ruled out by our manager add to the obvious glaring mistake.
Old June 18th, 2013 (01:32 PM).
Fantasy Dreamer

Wow can't believe i forgot about Walker, especially since I see him as the man who has great potential and then theirs his teammate Kyle Naughton. Looking at it now i see a decent if not great future for the national team.Although people say England doesn't have the young players to compete with the like of Spain and Germany, I have to kinda disagree just think the young english players are at a greater disadvantage compared to youngsters playing in other countries.

Ohhh Mr. Acuna just another example of young south american footballers snatched up by european clubs after successful youth tournaments just to not fulfill the potential forced upon them......Tragic
Old June 18th, 2013 (02:00 PM).
Now stand up and begin
Gold Tier

Yeah, poor guy's being snapped up by Middlesborough twice! "Eric Djemba-Djemba, so good they named him twice" was the mid-noughties United chant, now Boro are going to have "Javier Acuna, so good we rejected him twice" xD.

Yeah...future's not bad compared to most countries - in a way we're like Brazil have been recently - all this potential but no results. Unlike Brazil we haven't won the World Cup since 1966. But I seriously don't think we're comparable with Germany (Götze, Reus, Özil, Schürrle, etc. etc.) or Spain. Hell, Spain U-21s would probably walk all over England seniors.
Speaking of Spain U-21, really hoping United sign Thiago now - he scored a hat-trick against Italy in the U-21 Final. And he was captain, which means they obviously see something in him :P
Old June 18th, 2013 (02:09 PM).

Gold Tier

@YogiOne, an all too often occurrence unfortunately. Paraguay could've probably done with their players reaching the potential given their horrific position in the qualification standings currently.

England supporters probably say this all the time and then we never win anything at senior level either. Our situation will probably be Quarters/Last 16 every tournament as usual.

Do Barcelona use Thiago? I can see him going to United and then being bought back by Barca for some ridiculous fee in a few years like they always do (Alba, Fabregas, Pique).
Old June 18th, 2013 (02:17 PM).
Fantasy Dreamer

Spain U21 walking over the England senior side doubt it, guessing you were exaggerating anyway. I'm not a England supported just think the future looks alright for now at least. On the matter of poor little Thiago if he does leave Barca I don't see him going back, his case is different than Alba and Cesc. They were youth players dreaming of a chance to play for Barca so after they left and had a chance to go back and fulfill that dreamed they jumped at it.

Thiago on the other hand has lived the dream at a young age unlike them, winning titles, playing with Messi and Iniesta just all that good stuff. If he leaves, he leaves for good but that's just my thought on the matter especially since he hasn't been given a lot of chances last season unfortunately.
Old June 18th, 2013 (02:17 PM).
Banned

The English national setup is just broken. Stuff like Da Ox travelling to Brazil for a glamour friendly instead of playing in the youngsters tournament.

Kyle Naughton was immense that season we had him on loan. Oh how I'd love us to sign him full
Old June 18th, 2013 (02:33 PM).
Now stand up and begin
Gold Tier

Quote originally posted by YogiOne:
Spain U21 walking over the England senior side doubt it, guessing you were exaggerating anyway. I'm not a England supported just think the future looks alright for now at least. On the matter of poor little Thiago if he does leave Barca I don't see him going back, his case is different than Alba and Cesc. They were youth players dreaming of a chance to play for Barca so after they left and had a chance to go back and fulfill that dreamed they jumped at it.

Thiago on the other hand has lived the dream at a young age unlike them, winning titles, playing with Messi and Iniesta just all that good stuff. If he leaves, he leaves for good but that's just my thought on the matter especially since he hasn't been given a lot of chances last season unfortunately.
I agree. Pique also left United for regular appearances though - 23 total appearances in 07/08 to 45 at Barcelona 08/09. Fabregas had to leave Arsenal because Martin Keown confirmed on the radio that it was Fabregas who threw pizza at Fergie :P.
It depends whether Thiago wants to stay and fight, or leave then return later akin to Fabregas - it should be noted that the supporters allegedly don't like Fabregas as much because he spent a spell in England. Much as I hope if Thiago came to United he'd stay permanently, Barcelona is like Brazil: they all go back there eventually.

Quote originally posted by -Lapras-:
The English national setup is just broken. Stuff like Da Ox travelling to Brazil for a glamour friendly instead of playing in the youngsters tournament.

Kyle Naughton was immense that season we had him on loan. Oh how I'd love us to sign him full
Yeah, you gotta feel for Stuart Pearce. The quality the he could have potentially had, such as Oxlade-Chamberlain and Phil Jones in the last tournament, may well have made a difference. Most of Spain's U-21s have been given chances in friendlies, but instead of dragging them along to the Confederations Cup to sit on the bench, they let them go to Israel instead (Although it does help that they have so much strength in depth they could swap their entire starting XI and probably still beat every team there comfortably).
Old June 18th, 2013 (02:51 PM).

Gold Tier

It's also probably a hard job to motivate our U21s when they may see out their years playing in the Championship while watching some youngsters who have barely featured for the U21 side get picked for the senior squad just because they have a run of form for Man Utd/City/Chelsea/Arsenal or get random hype from nowhere (Butland). Looking at the current squad, I can see Danny Rose and Henri Lansbury as the sort of players who are probably a bit downhearted at their current international situation.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links