Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media
Reload this Page The Football Discussion Thread!

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Old June 18th, 2013 (03:00 PM).
Fantasy Dreamer

Nature: Modest
Quote originally posted by Amore:
Yeah, you gotta feel for Stuart Pearce. The quality the he could have potentially had, such as Oxlade-Chamberlain and Phil Jones in the last tournament, may well have made a difference. Most of Spain's U-21s have been given chances in friendlies, but instead of dragging them along to the Confederations Cup to sit on the bench, they let them go to Israel instead (Although it does help that they have so much strength in depth they could swap their entire starting XI and probably still beat every team there comfortably).
Giving alot of credit to Spain to be honest, if you look at it Germany could have had an incredible squad if they were allowed to bring all their top quality players and weren't hindered by some injuries. Spread across their squad thoug Spain have a lot of quality but Germany would have had more star names and a couple players with alot of experience and ability that would chance the tournament for Germany completely.

Quote originally posted by Nuke:
It's also probably a hard job to motivate our U21s when they may see out their years playing in the Championship while watching some youngsters who have barely featured for the U21 side get picked for the senior squad just because they have a run of form for Man Utd/City/Chelsea/Arsenal or get random hype from nowhere (Butland). Looking at the current squad, I can see Danny Rose and Henri Lansbury as the sort of players who are probably a bit downhearted at their current international situation.
I agree with you and theirs also another aspect to look at, many of the players in the u21 squad "play" or are members of some of the bigger clubs in the premier league but who honestly don't play or get sent out on loan to lower league sides. Bias is heavy in the system, picking players based mainly on the fact that they come from Tottenham or Liverpool and basically over looking quality(Some, not all the time)
Old June 19th, 2013 (03:15 AM). Edited June 19th, 2013 by Amore.
Now stand up and begin
Gold Tier

Perhaps, but also it's to do with Spurs, Liverpool, United etc. buying up all the best ones from the Championship (see Zaha). And I don't think being de-motivated because you're not in the senior squad is a reason to perform badly - you're still representing your country, aren't you?

Also, fixture list out today! United and Moyes are certainly going through a baptism of fire: Swansea (A), Chelsea (H), Liverpool (A), Crystal Palace (A), City (A), West Brom (H).
Particularly worrying to have Chelsea so soon on - although Moyes has never beat Mourinho, that's hardly surprising - he was at Everton. Fergie on the other hand only beat him twice in 16 games (2 in 14 before playing against Madrid). I'm personally predicting United or Chelsea to win the league next season anyway - United were left in such good shape and you just know a marquee signing is coming, Chelsea are in a similar situation but have already bought Schürrle, and arguably don't need to improve except buying a striker. Interesting to see if Zaha gets a start against his old club too.

EDIT: Also, the F.A. Cup Final now takes place post-season! Personally I think this is a great idea, restoring how it should be. It was unfair on Wigan that within a week they went from celebrating winning the F.A. Cup to being relegated. Should've been the other way round. And also, by having the final on the same weekend as some league matches, they were making it more like the Capital One Cup - just insignificant.
Only worry is if somebody's on for a treble or FA Cup/Champions League double, having the two finals close together could kill their chances. Although Chelsea managed to play over 60 games this season so I guess it's achievable.
Old June 19th, 2013 (05:04 AM).
#SmashingTheMaroons

Nature: Gentle
Socceroos are going to the World Cup 2014 WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO!

lol I'm a major Chelsea fan as well. watching soccer here in Australia is a pain gotta stay up till 3 in the morning. But hey if you love the world game you would watch it anyway.

Ohh and in Australia its soccer not football lmao
Old June 19th, 2013 (05:18 AM).
Now stand up and begin
Gold Tier

Well then, you got the name wrong didn't you? :P

no, but seriously it's called Football. A bit like how it's Mumbai, not Bombay - the creators named it.

I know what you mean about staying up til 3am - it's like us trying to watch the Superbowl here in the UK. And the Confederations Cup - Spain vs. Uruguay kicked off at 11pm. But in the World Cup next year the late kick-offs are going to be 1am GMT, which should be fun.
Old June 19th, 2013 (06:49 AM).

Gold Tier

Nature: Relaxed
Staying up to watch the Superbowl is fun for me, but I can see how it would be annoying if I wanted to watch NFL every week.

The fixture list just makes me more pessimistic for the coming season, Boro's opening isn't even that bad, but now they're there it makes me think we'll lose them all.

I can see Moyes struggling from the start now too.
Old June 19th, 2013 (08:05 AM).
Now stand up and begin
Gold Tier

Yeah, but with United vs. Chelsea it's Mourinho who's got more to lose - his 100% undefeated record vs. Moyes, and having only lost 3 games against United - anything less than a win for him (Even at Old Trafford) will be a failure, especially with players such as Mata (more goals and assists combined than Gareth Bale last season) on his side.
Also, I forget who supports Norwich but their last 4 games are: Liverpool, United, Chelsea, Arsenal. #fun :P
Old June 19th, 2013 (08:14 AM).

Gold Tier

Surely those facts would mean he has more chance of success in that game though. :P

And it's -Lapras- who supports Norwich.
Old June 19th, 2013 (08:21 AM).
Now stand up and begin
Gold Tier

Potentially yes. But part of the reason he was so successful against us is that he knew how to set up a team to counter the Ferguson system. Or in the case of the Madrid games a) he had Ronaldo this time and b) United were down to 10 men. Moyes could set up a bit differently - for example by playing Kagawa or Rooney in the right position, and potentially having a better midfield.
Old June 19th, 2013 (08:42 AM).

Gold Tier

I suppose we'll see when it comes to it, just about anything could happen among the major teams this season.
Old June 19th, 2013 (09:31 AM).
LIK DIS IF YOU ARA EVERTIM
Crystal Tier

Starting with an unknown quantity in Martinez's Everton and finishing with a run of 4 of the top (probably) 5 sides. Easy. Well, Norwich did do better against the big sides last year.

I'm a gud boy #dindunuffin | mal | 💔
Old June 19th, 2013 (12:16 PM).
Fantasy Dreamer

Really hoping Moyes can continue United's success, I wasn't at all surprised at him being named as manager but I did think back for a good hour or so about the football he had Everton play and try to predict how he would utilize our squad. Really hoping he will find peace with Rooney and then find a system that can be used with Kagawa, Rvp and Rooney while still giving Hernadez some game time.

In terms of the Mourinho - United battle I would have to think all past stats are going to get thrown out the window, just too many things have changed to assume Mourinho's record will give him an advantage or anything.
Old June 19th, 2013 (12:22 PM).

Gold Tier

Aaaand it appears that the player we've been close to recruiting for some time (Maghoma from Burton) is now off to Charlton, so we literally have nothing done in the transfer market up to this point. It really isn't looking good for next season.

Also Moyes shouldn't just give Hernandez game time for the sake of it, I think he's only really required by United as a backup player.
Old June 19th, 2013 (01:08 PM).
Fantasy Dreamer

It's not just for the sake of it, I honestly believe Hernandez is one of the most natural gifted goalscorers in the premier league. I don't think he should be flung into the starting lineup if it will cause the side to be unbalanced but I do think that he has alot to offer the side either starting or off the bench.
Old June 19th, 2013 (01:13 PM).

Gold Tier

Off the bench is probably for the best. I think their system of three attacking players behind Van Persie is disrupted when Hernandez is involved from the start. United fans are always talking about signing Lewandowski as well, which suggests Hernandez is never really going to become the first choice striker.
Old June 19th, 2013 (01:16 PM).
Crystal Tier

Even if it doesn't look like it from the outside I'd imagine you're working on getting a few new players in.

I like Hernandez but yeah, he'll never be a regular starter at United.

Old June 19th, 2013 (01:20 PM).

Gold Tier

Hopefully so, but even when we do sign players they probably won't set the world alight. I have too many reasons to be pessimistic for the coming season. :P
Old June 19th, 2013 (03:10 PM).
in the face
Gold Tier

The pull factor of Ferguson just isn't there in my opinion. Many players in the past thought that Ferguson could shape them into amazing players; Moyes being only well-respected in England I doubt much foreign players would be as attracted to United because of it. But who knows, Ferguson isn't completely gone so I guess he still has some kind of part in the development of the players in the club. I'm not exactly sure what a director even does haha.
Old June 19th, 2013 (03:20 PM).

Gold Tier

I think the job description can largely differ depending on who is in the role and which club they are at. I will assume, as most people would, that he will basically act in an advisory role toward Moyes to assist in the first few seasons of his management.

For all we know, 'director' could be an empty label and he will simply walk away from any involvement at OT. That is highly unlikely though.
Old June 19th, 2013 (03:27 PM).
Fantasy Dreamer

It's highly unlikely that a player wouldn't want to go to United because Fergie isn't the manager anymore because although him being the manager may have been a pull factor for some players, at the end of the day players are going to Manchester United! A player is going there for champions league football, possible high wages and the chance to player for one of the greatest clubs ever. Moyes being there wont turn any players away.
Old June 19th, 2013 (04:11 PM).
You idiot!

Nature: Jolly
Meanwhile in the Confederations Cup, Italy just won Japan 4-3. It was a close game, Italy was lucky, Japan hit the woodwork about 3-4 times. However, Italy took advantage of their physical size and strength and defended while standing off, forcing Japan to hit the long ball.

Great work from Japan though, they were hardworking and played at a really quick tempo. They pressed and pressed, forcing the Italian centrebacks to make a lot of errors.

VM | PM | MyAnimeList | Theme | Pairs | Previously
Old June 20th, 2013 (06:29 AM).
Fantasy Dreamer

Seems like Messi's father has been charged for tax fraud and Messi himself will be in court on September 17. Interesting to see how this will play out, especially after I played it off think Messi would come off scot-free.
Old June 20th, 2013 (06:43 AM).

Gold Tier

"If he is convicted, Messi could face up to six years in prison and a big fine, according to Spain's Efe news agency."

It's very unlikely it will come to that, but it could be very interesting if he did receive such a sentence. Imagine six years down the line Messi comes out of jail and starts playing again for Barcelona's B team. I imagine his lawyers will sort things out for him regardless of whether he is truly guilty or not.
Old June 20th, 2013 (07:18 AM).
Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
CS

Send a message via Skype™ to Ivysaur
Quote originally posted by Nuke:
"If he is convicted, Messi could face up to six years in prison and a big fine, according to Spain's Efe news agency."

It's very unlikely it will come to that, but it could be very interesting if he did receive such a sentence. Imagine six years down the line Messi comes out of jail and starts playing again for Barcelona's B team. I imagine his lawyers will sort things out for him regardless of whether he is truly guilty or not.
As a journalist in Spain's Efe news agency, I can tell you how excited people were in Madrid XD "Great! Hopefully he'll be jailed before August so we can win the Spanish Supercup!".

Still, he can avoid going to jail if he pleads guilty and pays a x6 fine, a mere €24 million.
Old June 20th, 2013 (07:21 AM).
Crystal Tier

The fact that he's so loaded makes me wonder if he'd really take the risk over a few million euros.

Old June 20th, 2013 (07:26 AM).
Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
CS

Send a message via Skype™ to Ivysaur
For all we know, it was his father who set the whole system up when Leo was 16 and had signed his first professional contract with Barcelona, and obviously couldn't imagine that his kid would get raises worth a few more millions every year from then on. So he wanted to save as much as possible from the very beginning just in case.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links