Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media
Reload this Page The Football Discussion Thread!

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Old August 10th, 2013 (07:49 AM).
Platinum Tier

Nature: Serious
He's known for being an extremely overpowered player in FIFA.

However he was very good in real life last season at St Etienne, I saw some of his videos and he's very quick and good finisher. I think he was voted best African player in Ligue 1 that season.
Old August 10th, 2013 (07:56 AM).
No title to see here, go away
Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
I see him making 20+ goals with ease in the Bundesliga.
Old August 10th, 2013 (02:56 PM). Edited August 11th, 2013 by Amore.
Now stand up and begin
Gold Tier

Yeah, I'd heard good things about Aubameyang. Not used him on FIFA (St Etienne aren't really a team I know, wouldn't use them just for one player). Glad to hear Lewandowski scored - even if he's being a dick about the Bayern move (And Dortmund likewise treating him the same, although to be fair I think he might be more pissed about breaking his pattern of 3 seasons then move - as he's still going to be key to Dortmund's title hopes.
Also, Son's at Leverkusen? Never heard about that. And people say the Bundesliga's more competitve than the PL...

EDIT: So the Community Shield was...interesting. Valencia's requested No.25 back and been granted it? Not good - Fergie forced Ronaldo to have No.7. On the other hand he looked like half the man he was in 2011/12 again. Welbeck seems to contrast with his movement not matching up to the passes played to him, and being scared to shoot. Or perhaps he's a psychic and knew Van Persie would score with a deflection xD. Carrick getting MOM was a shocker...syke. Still one of the best midfielders in the prem. Anderson's name was spelled correctly, but that's the only good thing I saw from him compared to this time last year xD
Still, United already have one trophy, and 2 wins in 8 is far better than 1 in 7 :D
Old August 11th, 2013 (12:07 PM).

Gold Tier

Nature: Relaxed
This is the first year I haven't watched the Community Shield in a while, but I guess I didn't miss much. BBC seems to think Wigan made 5 subs, is that right? If so, it's just becoming a friendly match.
Old August 11th, 2013 (03:15 PM).
Now stand up and begin
Gold Tier

I don't think they did...oh wait, yeah thinking about it they did. Still, the fact that we didn't bottle it against a Championship side who're now playing like a Championship side (let's be honest, if Coyle manages to take them down to League 1, no Championship side'll be snapping him up like Everton did for Martinez) is significant. It shows what everyone already really knows - pre-season means nothing, it's a PR stunt to make Asia feel included, and give the likes of Adnan Januzaj some time playing in the Red shirt.

Commentators were making comparisons between Zaha and pre-2006 World Cup Ronaldo...if a similar transformation were to happen that'd be great, but somehow seeing as he's English (As am I, hence my pessimism xD) he's probably going to disappoint. If he does turn world class though he's probably going to have to hit the weights :P
Old August 11th, 2013 (04:03 PM).

Gold Tier

I don't think Zaha is going to make that level. He's 20 and while he had a great season in the Championship, that really is all it was. A great season, not magnificent. Magnificent should surely be the minimum for a Man Utd player in the second division.

Tom Ince should turn out better (he's older but better), but they'll both be England players for a long time.
Old August 12th, 2013 (02:03 AM).
Fantasy Dreamer

Nature: Modest
I would just like to point out that five subs have always been allowed in the Community Shield and both teams competting usual use thier five subs but down to the meat of the matter something serious...

I'm hating this transfer window!!! Not because of the so called lack of "big name signings" but because of the media. I personally think more than ever the media is really blowing everything out of proportion. Today I sat and listened to a gentleman on fox soccer news speak about how Man Utd NEED to sell Wayne Rooney now so that their plan to sign Fellaini can go through.

That guy sat thier speaking as if he knew insider information that only David Moyes himself knows, It hasn't been announced that Man U has made a bid for Fellaini and already this guy is making it sounds as if it has to happen. Maybe I just get upset since I don't want Rooney to leave unless I truly hear he's unhappy and wants to go but right now the media looks like they really just want to fuel a fire that might not even be there.
Old August 12th, 2013 (02:17 AM).
Banned

Nature: Gentle
I've liked this transfer window because Norwich have (probably) gotten a lot stronger.

As for the media they're just filling time until something happens. They're employed to say things that stir up conversation and get their channel viewers, even if it is total bs. I mean take TalkSport....3.5 million listeners and it is 99% crap.
Old August 12th, 2013 (02:19 AM).
the man in black
Crystal Tier

They've been able to have 7 subs and use 5 in the community shield for as long as I can remember lol. (Much longer before the Premier League starting allowing 7 subs also).
Old August 12th, 2013 (03:04 AM).
Now stand up and begin
Gold Tier

So basically what you're saying is its always been part over-hyped friendly (tough c'mon, when two of United / City / Chelsea / Arsenal (not for a long time xD) are involved its a little more competitive). I too am hating this transfer window: newest claim? United are going to swoop in and steal Bale from Madrid. I think everyone knows Levy's going to drag it out either to the final hour on September 2, or into next season. United won't be willing to wait that long. I do hope someone world class fills No. 7 (When you think of all the players who have worn it, Michael Owen was never going to live up to that, poor guy).
Old August 12th, 2013 (04:30 AM).

Gold Tier

This surprises me, I was actually seriously unaware that they were allowed that many subs in the past.

Anyway, this transfer window will be good or bad depending on three things for me.

1 - One of these big transfers (Suarez, Bale, Rooney) actually goes through.
2 - The deadline day is fun and some cool transfers happen on it.
3 - Boro sign a new striker.
Old August 12th, 2013 (05:27 AM).
Banned

Wonder if any of the Norwich FA Youth Cup winning squad will go out on loan this summer. Would love to see what Carlton Morris and the Murphy twins could do in the Championship or League 1. Follows on a bit from the convo last night actually, if people are calling Zaha the new Ronaldo then I predict Morris will be the new Drogbahimovic. Of course they might be like many other young footballers and look good until the final step up.

Still hoping for another couple of signings here but it has gone awfully quiet. Presuming Hooper isn't out for too long I guess the squad is probably strong enough, also thinking there would be a fair amount left for a signing or two in January.

I see Downing is off to West Ham. 3 goals and 5 assists in 65 league games sure is something for a 20 million pound winger.

Finally, I wonder what sort of magic Arsenal used to get that much money for Gervinho. I'd rather get stabbed in the cheek than have him in the Norwich squad.
Old August 12th, 2013 (06:17 AM).

Gold Tier

Downing has had an unlucky time at Liverpool, I read a statistic before the Euros that Downing actually had the highest cross completion rate of any English player in the Premier league (24% iirc) so it could be argued his lack of assists was originally down to Carroll being crap and Suarez not being someone to aim crosses at. If I also remember rightly, Ashley Young had about 15% to put into context how good Downing was compared to other English wingers.

Of course this could affect him again at West Ham if Carroll's poor converting is the cause of the low assists from Downing.

Oh well if he does bad at West Ham we can always take him back. :P
Old August 12th, 2013 (07:10 AM).
Banned

I guess his invincible season did happen when Liverpool were at their worst. Still mightily impressive though.
Old August 12th, 2013 (07:12 AM).
Platinum Tier

Nature: Serious
Downing is an unfortunate case, he's a decent player but buying him for 20 mil was a terrible decision making from Dalglish as it meant he had to live up the level of hype that he was never going to reach.
Old August 12th, 2013 (07:52 AM).
Calm, Relaxed, but Competative

In my eyes Downing is an okay player, but he can be replaced in the current squade liverpool has. With the player's they have signed this summer (Aspas, Alberto) to some of the youngsters that are playing really well (Sterling, Ibe) Liverpool will be fine without. I really do respect his playing skills and towards the end of last season he seemed to be doing better.
Old August 12th, 2013 (07:57 AM).

Gold Tier

In the past five seasons, only three players (Lampard, Baines & Gerrard) have created more PL chances than Stewart Downing. Crafty. - @OptaJoe

Oddly enough that popped into my twitter feed soon after I posted my comment.

Hopefully things will work out at West Ham and he'll go to Brazil.
Old August 12th, 2013 (09:11 AM).
the man in black
Crystal Tier

Downing gets way too much stuck for what he does. He's a tin can player (does what it says on the tin) in that he'll get down the wings and cross the ball for you, he really won't do anything else. Unfortunately for him that style of play didn't fit Liverpool, especially not under Brendan Rogers. I do believe, however, that as Matt Jarvis has proved Downing will fit perfectly and excel at West Ham.
Old August 12th, 2013 (11:39 AM).
Fantasy Dreamer

Nature: Modest
Downing getting a bad rap is all Liverpool's fault. When you sign a player for 20mil your fans and all the analyst expect a 20mil return and despite Downing doing ok he hasn't repayed what they payed for him. Not his fault really since he definitely wasn't worth the cost but in recent years thats just how Liverpool do business.

20mil for Downing when you bought Mascherano for 17mil and Meireles for 11mil and both are better players.
Old August 12th, 2013 (01:32 PM).
Now stand up and begin
Gold Tier

Yeah, Downing isn't bad, but £20million makes most players look bad...especially English wingers :(.

Also, apparently Ronaldo has been spotted in Manchester. Now obviously this could just mean he's having a visit, perhaps telling Rooney he should stay because there's no way in hell he's coming to Madrid :) Or perhaps now Fergie's gone he's signing for City. Or there's about a 0.0000001% chance I'll be really happy at the end of this month no matter how my exams went :P

I'm not obsessed or anything.
Old August 12th, 2013 (04:27 PM).
Banned

I was starting to get excited about the Everton match but then I remembered Norwich tend not to turn up on the opening day. Coincidentally my first outing to a Norwich game was their last time they won one.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/2181117.stm
Old August 12th, 2013 (05:55 PM).

Gold Tier

BBC Sport must be the only website that doesn't apply new layouts to all pages. I love finding old ones like that and seeing how it looked back in the day.

That will have even been before Huckerby that game won't it?

While we're on the topic. This was the first Boro game I went to. Very entertaining and Parnaby's late goal was a great experience for my first match.
Old August 13th, 2013 (05:25 AM).
Banned

It certainly was. He and a young Peter Crouch joined on loan a season later, the club supposedly had enough money to buy one of them, so glad that ended up like it did.

Indeed that isn't a bad start. Seems you started going a season after the 4 - 4 with Norwich. Still one of my favourite games. In 360ish games for Norwich Adam Drury only scored 4 goals, one of them was to save a point in that game.
Old August 13th, 2013 (10:04 AM).

Gold Tier

I only wish I could've got to more games around that time, but I didn't really have anyone to go with at the time. I only regularly started going two seasons ago unfortunately so I missed all the Premier League moments.
Old August 13th, 2013 (11:25 AM).
Banned

I started off going with my step dad and then for 5 or 6 years with a friend from school, that friend was actually a West Ham fan mind.

Watching the Ingerland under 21s beat Scotland atm, Redmond looking pretty gud. Not a fan of BT Sport's layout, the scores being on the bottom of the screen just feels wrong.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)