The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media

Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 14th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Arceus_17
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lapras- View Post
I speak to a Benfica fan pretty regularly and he would have rather faced them in the final. Crazy home support for that lot.

As you follow the Portuguese league you'd be a good person to give some opinion. How do you rate Lisbon's Ricky van Wolfswinkel?
In my opinion, Wolfswinkel is a good striker. You can tell just by looking at the number of goals he's scored in the last 2 seasons. He has great technique to shoot, great positioning and he's also a good header. He has some flaws though, he isn't the best player to keep the ball long in his possession and reveals some hard technical issues with the ball in his foot, which helps to explain the love/hate feelings Sporting fans have towards him.
Old April 15th, 2013, 06:04 PM
Katalyst
SOMEBODY SET UP US THE BOMB

Wolfswinkel is a good striker. The way he moves around the defenders to create space and avoid his markers is just amazing, then just get the ball to the box and he'll put it in. Shoots well with both feet and with his head as well.
This season, Sporting has scored 44 goals in 37 matches (in all competitions) - Ricky scored 17 of those. Considering that this is the worst season in the club's football history (knocked out in the last spot in the EL group stages - knocked out in the first round in the National Cup and the League Cup - currently in the 9th place in the league with 5 matches remaining) and the crap thing they wanted to call football that the team's played throughout this season I'd say they are pretty nice numbers. Last season, he scored 25 goals in all competitions, not bad at all for a first season in a club with such dimension.

The question is that English football is different, and I don't know how well he'll adapt to a more direct playing style since, well, he's not that fast, doesn't have the strength of an ox, neither does he race all around the pitch pressuring everyone and pick the ball from behind (which is something that some of our supporters hate for some reason) and his technique isn't developed enough to hold the ball for too long. He's not a bad "first touch" player though.

First post of mine in the new thread, yay.
Old April 19th, 2013, 05:42 AM
curiousnathan
they said we could be anything

Nature: Careful
I'll be watching the Tiges vs the Pie tomorrow at the MCG. Hopefully we can thwart our enemies haha. Everyone hates Collingwood. Except for their supporters naturally. XD They're just...so good to hate on haha. Hopefully we can step our game up like we did with the Western Bulldogs and thrash them from the centre. The one thing I'm worried about though is our goal kicking ability; considering that we fail to seize a plethora of six point opportunities. We'll need to be nearly perfectly spot on with our goal kicking if we're to have any chance of winning. It will be tough. Not to mention the atmosphere will be cray. So yeah, I'm excited haha.
Old April 19th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Already nervous about football tomorrow here.
Old April 20th, 2013, 06:16 AM
curiousnathan
they said we could be anything

Well, we lost. Quite miserably too. We kept the game pretty even - we lead the first two quarters, but Collingwood just thrashed us form the centre and thwarted us. Bloody Travis Cloak smashed a bunch of goals, very much determining the winners and the losers for the rest of the match. ):
Old April 20th, 2013, 07:35 AM
Arceus_17
Unhatched Egg

Tomorrow, we have another chapter of Portugal's biggest classic: SL Benfica vs Sporting CP. In the league, Benfica (1º Place) is 34 points ahead of Sporting (9º Place) when there are 5 matches left to the end. If Benfica wins, we'll keep at least a 4 points advantage against FC Porto (2º place). Sporting's only hope for this season is to reach an European spot.
Old April 20th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

We won. on to 38 points, up to 13th and but for a crazy run of results, safe.

With Sunderland turning it on it looks like a straight up fight between Villa and Wigan for that 17th place finish. Both have pretty horrible fixtures from now on. Would be pretty great if my lot helped relegate Villa.

Will probably watch the Benfica vs Sporting game.
Old April 21st, 2013, 03:31 PM
Arceus_17
Unhatched Egg

Benfica won 2-0 in a difficult game against our eternal rival Sporting. I've seen much better this season from Benfica. Now we are 4 points ahead of Porto with 4 games left (one in Porto). We also have a trip to Istambul this Thursday x:
The 2nd goal from Lima after a great individual effort from Gaitan was truly masterpiece. Let me share with you guys:

Last edited by Arceus_17; April 21st, 2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 06:15 AM
Nuke

Nature: Relaxed
Lovely goal there, I suppose I'll say enjoy him while you can, he'll probably follow Di Maria's path eventually.

I've renewed my season ticket for another year, why do I put myself through it?

And Suarez is at it again, he never fails to amaze me.

X + Y - 4914-3466-1264
Old April 22nd, 2013, 06:50 AM
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

Luis Suarez hopes to play against Bayern Munich one day, because he'd like to try a shoulder of Lahm.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 10:24 AM
Nuke

That might be the worst Suarez joke I've seen yet and there has been many.

The menu was the best, 'Bacary Lasagne' was a highlight.

X + Y - 4914-3466-1264
Old April 22nd, 2013, 11:47 AM
Nauje
Hmm.
Community Supporter

That was filthy from Suarez, I know both Ivanovic and him were having a little heated moment all game but actually bite him in the arm? His a good footballer but man his a weird kind of controversial... at least someone like Joey Barton or Balotelli is explainable in a way but Suarez?

It's not even the first time he did it, that's what gets to me tbh haha.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 12:59 PM
Rest
Showstealer Pro: Trial Version

How exciting to see No. 20 RVP score a hat-trick in the title-winning game! The footballing stars really have aligned.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 02:44 PM
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

I think Ji Sung Pork and Chocolate Mousse Dembele are my favs.

After a quick google... Ryan Figs...oh God.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 07:50 AM
Nuke

Haha Ji Sung Pork, that's brilliant.

Yeah Man United have won the title which I think has brought up a reasonable debate across England - How does this United team compare to those of the past?

Most people would say a lot of their players are pretty average, but then they've ran away with the title so how does that make sense?

X + Y - 4914-3466-1264
Old April 23rd, 2013, 11:49 AM
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

You hear that a lot about United but I don't see it.

Their squad, whilst lacking some of the personality of the past, is as strong as I've ever seen it. There aren't 11 megastars on the field but there isn't a single weak link in the entire 24, that has been their key strength this season. Their back line has been the surprise of the season for me, It seems they'll still be as good after Vidic and Ferdinand move on.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 11:53 AM
Nuke

Yeah I don't think people respect that players like Jones will grow into the previous megastars and many of them are nearly there.

Then there's always the unnoticed players like Carrick who will be a key decider in a title race, but receive little credit for being in the centre of the park.

X + Y - 4914-3466-1264
Old April 23rd, 2013, 12:06 PM
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

It's kind of a shame though as I'd love to see players like Hernandez, Kagawa and Daniel Nii Tackie Mensah Welbeck playing week in week out.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 12:34 PM
Nuke

Any need for his full name? :P

I think based on the games I've seen of Man United, Ferguson wants to see a system of RVP upfront with Rooney, Kagawa and Welbeck interchanging behind him in future.

RVP
Kagawa <-> Rooney <-> Welbeck

If that helps with the idea. So anyway, I think Welbeck and Kagawa will definitely see more time. Kagawa is bound to become a regular at some point regardless.

Shocking score in the Champions League, I think we're seeing Barcelona's successors here. Their signing of Gotze should propel them on to greater things too (and help eliminate most of their domestic challenge).

X + Y - 4914-3466-1264
Old April 23rd, 2013, 12:49 PM
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

Because it's a fantastic name.

Seeing a United team without wingers would be odd.

Bayern dominance has been coming.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 01:23 PM
Nuke

It wouldn't be too surprising, their current winger selection is pretty poor. Valencia and Nani have been far from brilliant this season.

I'd say I'm glad to see Bayern do well, but when Guardiola makes them play the boring tiki taka stuff I'll be just as annoyed as I am with Barca.

X + Y - 4914-3466-1264
Old April 23rd, 2013, 01:40 PM
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

Passing sideways isn't a style you enjoy?
Old April 23rd, 2013, 01:48 PM
Nuke

Unfortunately not. It's regularly employed to little success by Boro so that may cause some of my hatred towards it.

X + Y - 4914-3466-1264
Old April 24th, 2013, 04:02 AM
Weeaboo Name
Armed Bastard
Community Supporter

Norwich are pretty great at passing sideways and backwards.
Old April 24th, 2013, 06:35 AM
Nuke

I think we only do it because our players are incapable of creating any space for themselves to go forward.

Suarez banned for ten games, it seems like a better decision than most by the FA lately.

X + Y - 4914-3466-1264
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links