Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media
Reload this Page The Football Discussion Thread!

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Old September 22nd, 2013 (05:41 PM).
Now stand up and begin
Gold Tier

Yeah...main positives I took from that match were:

1) I didn't watch it all. That'd have been horrendous.
2) Rooney's on form, best player on the pitch by far, just let down by the other 10 on his team.
3) It wasn't 6-1
4) United won 6 of their 13 PL titles after starts with the same number of points out of the same number of games.

I'm not jumping on the "Moyes out" bandwagon. My only problem with his team selection is choosing Young ahead of Kagawa (Consistent, limited by being played out of position) or Nani (Inconsistent, but when on form is the best winger in the league hands down, better than Hazard even). Fellaini was a bit overpriced yet has his uses, but Young is absolutely awful and his diving shames the club. It's not too much the manager's fault when almost an entire team fails to show up, it even happened to the great SAF. I do think losing Van Persie at short notice affected the game though, giving City a boost.

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot about that! Don't see why really, he's crazy but not a bad manager - shaming players must be an Italian thing, Mancini did it too, but Mancini got results, crazy Paolo probably would've done too. Still, makes more sense than Newcastle hiring Kinnear.
Old September 22nd, 2013 (06:44 PM). Edited September 22nd, 2013 by Aeroblast.
Platinum Tier

Nature: Serious
I can understand why Di Canio was sacked. 14 new players and 1 point from first 5 games is absolutely awful, with some real **** on a stick performances to boot.

Manchester United were not in the game at all until around the 80 minute mark when City stopped playing at high intensity, as I said earlier I think 4-1 actually flatters United. The only option that they have to take is to take it up the chin and move on. Historically some of the best teams have been beaten comprehensively, even recently. Even Bayern have lost 1-5 vs Wolfsburg and 2-5 vs Dortmund both not too long ago. I think this is the real start of whether Moyes can handle the pressure or not, bouncing back from awful performance to start a consistent run of winning games, that was one of key elements to Sir Alex Ferguson's characters.
Old September 23rd, 2013 (07:01 AM).

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by Seattle:
What do you reckon will happen with Hull city? I heard that they're rivals with Middlesbrough. that's your team, Nuke, isn't it?
Not particularly, our only real rivals are Newcastle and Sunderland with Leeds coming in as a minor one in recent seasons.

Quote originally posted by -Lapras-:
So Di Canio got the boot, unsurprisingly. Shame really, he was a loveable madman.
It was inevitable really, but I'm both disappointed and surprised he went so early. Hopefully he's done enough work to get them relegated anyway.
Old September 23rd, 2013 (07:51 AM).
LIK DIS IF YOU ARA EVERTIM
Crystal Tier

Nature: Gentle
I think he would have been give a few more games if it wasn't for his antics on the pitch the other day.

I'm a gud boy #dindunuffin | mal | 💔
Old September 23rd, 2013 (07:57 AM).
Platinum Tier

Quote originally posted by Nuke:
It was inevitable really, but I'm both disappointed and surprised he went so early. Hopefully he's done enough work to get them relegated anyway.
I think Sunderland will get a boost with a new manager then go back to being ****. I hope they're relegated, they play some really terrible football.
Old September 23rd, 2013 (12:07 PM).
Mega Houndoom, baby!

Nature: Lonely
Whoo-hoo a soccer thread! I see you guys like to discuss Premier League the most? I follow all the big leagues in Europe because the local ESPN channel shoves them down our throats and coverage is pretty big.

On the Moyes thing, United went for him because of his longevity with Everton IMO, but despite not many good results I believe he's doing alright. People need to remember that, despite United being Premier League champions, the best teams on paper are really City and Chelsea, and also no one expected Liverpool to play so well at the beginning of this season. At least United made a convincing debut in the UCL.

Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, the day Pokémon pulled a Dallas and jumped the shark.
Old September 24th, 2013 (12:42 PM).
Now stand up and begin
Gold Tier

Yeah, Moyes' lack of CL experience was the thing most of us were worried about, yet despite two moments of awful defending we were the best team for the whole game against the No. 3 team in Germany, pretty good when a lot of people would rank United as No. 3 in England now, looking at our squad.
Plus Valencia's goal was one of the best counterattacks I've seen, and when you're increasingly underdogs in Europe that's the sort of goals that need to be scored.

Considering he bought 14 new players I think Di Canio needed more time to allow them to gel. Sadly that's one thing managers never get in the PL these days. His confrontational style probably played a part in shortening his stay though.
Old September 24th, 2013 (12:52 PM). Edited September 24th, 2013 by Weeaboo Name.
Crystal Tier

>18 year old comes on and scores a 25 yearder on his debut
>Hooper equalizing with the last touch in normal time

Spoiler:

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. Saving Hughton's job, for another game at least.

Old September 25th, 2013 (01:58 PM).
Crystal Tier

Manchester United away. Well, ok then.

Old September 25th, 2013 (03:17 PM).
Now stand up and begin
Gold Tier

Mwahaha. I thought we played well against Liverpool. Still don't get why Young gets played ahead of Kagawa / Nani - they weren't outstanding but at least they can stay upright under atmospheric pressure.
Old September 26th, 2013 (02:34 PM). Edited September 26th, 2013 by Aeroblast.
Platinum Tier

Young should not play another professional game for Manchester United. Thing is, once he gets a substitute appearance for 10 minutes and gets in a few decent touches, he'll be a starter next game and play like a league one player.

Manchester United's win against Liverpool was quite vital, even if it was a lower round league cup. Hernandez should be picked ahead of Welbeck in pretty much all circumstances unless the latter improves dramatically.
Old September 28th, 2013 (06:04 PM).
In the trunk on Highway 10

Nature: Impish
I root for the Lebanese national team during the World Cup. The Australian one is a bunch of twats. (Still, they're better than the UK's...)
Helga: Look Phoebe, you gotta snap out of this. I mean, criminy, it's not like it's the first time you ever farted. Heck, when you sleep over you do it all the time. You rip 'em all night long, they stink to high heaven. It's all I can do to keep from passing out.
Phoebe: Just get out.
- Hey Arnold
Old September 29th, 2013 (06:49 AM).
Crystal Tier

Don't think Lebanon have ever qualified for the World Cup.

Norwich won their second away match in a row, just what we needed before the Chelsea and Arsenal games.

Old October 2nd, 2013 (08:28 AM).

Sorry I haven't posted in a while guys, the thread sort of dies when I disappear doesn't it? :P

I see today Moyes believes United should aim for Champions League glory which is just a ridiculous thing to say under the current circumstances. I think he's digging a deeper hole for himself. I expect they'll draw or lose to Shakhtar tonight.
Old October 2nd, 2013 (03:50 PM).
Platinum Tier

^1-1 draw. Boring game and neither teams had much clear chances.

The only way United would win the Champions League is if they play 9-0-1 every game hoofing the ball up to RVP praying he can receive the ball and score.
Old October 4th, 2013 (10:21 PM).

Hello my fellow football fans!
Visca Barca
Old October 6th, 2013 (03:22 AM).

That was a really bad 2nd half display by Liverpool yesterday.
Old October 6th, 2013 (07:15 AM).
Now stand up and begin
Gold Tier

^1-1 draw. Boring game and neither teams had much clear chances.

The only way United would win the Champions League is if they play 9-0-1 every game hoofing the ball up to RVP praying he can receive the ball and score.
Neither team had many clear chances...that's a good thing. We're the first English team to take a point from Shakhtar in Ukraine. League form might be being cursed by rotation, but we seem to be putting out the right team for Cup games. Shame we've still not got chance to unleash the RooVP combination for any period of time yet - could be more prolific than SAS at Liverpool.

Also, Wigan won a game in the Europa League! Nick Powell scored! Twice! Futures looking bright for United with the likes of Januzaj and Powell, just a shame we also pay Ashley Young to play for us - Rooney on crutches would be a better winger IMO.

Finally, Chelsea - they play Juan Mata, they win. Surprised? Mourinho must be the only one who isn't.
Old October 10th, 2013 (01:45 PM).

Just going to keep our little thread alive by saying this whole Januzaj naturalisation debate seems a bit pointless. We can't play him anyway so why are people fiercely debating whether he should or not?
Old October 10th, 2013 (03:11 PM).
3rd Gen. Enthusiast

Nature: Naughty
I don't pay attention to the sport that much, but when I do I watch the Chicago Fire play. I currently live in Wisconsin and was born here, but I grew up in Bolingbrook, which is in the suburbs of Chicago, IL. The team competes in MLS which stands for Major League SOCCER! Football here is American Football so deal with it!
I don't use "uber" Pokémon, I don't calculate stat values, I don't use cheating devices, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.
Old October 10th, 2013 (06:56 PM).
Platinum Tier

Quote originally posted by pokemasta92:
I don't pay attention to the sport that much, but when I do I watch the Chicago Fire play. I currently live in Wisconsin and was born here, but I grew up in Bolingbrook, which is in the suburbs of Chicago, IL. The team competes in MLS which stands for Major League SOCCER! Football here is American Football so deal with it!
Believe it or not, there are people outside of United States.
Old October 10th, 2013 (09:08 PM).
3rd Gen. Enthusiast

Nature: Naughty
Believe it or not, there are people outside of United States.
You're SO funny.
I'm well aware that soccer is the number one played sport world wide, but I'm from America so I didn't grow up liking any foreign teams or even teams from other states in my country. Most people become fans of things that are close to home and only branch out if they are really interested in something. Soccers just not my thing, for watching or playing. I'm terrible...
I don't use "uber" Pokémon, I don't calculate stat values, I don't use cheating devices, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.
Old October 11th, 2013 (11:38 PM).

I hate these international breaks.
Old October 12th, 2013 (01:46 AM).
Crystal Tier

>PES actually on the PSN

All of my boners.

Time for the slowest download ever.

Old October 12th, 2013 (05:51 AM).

Quote originally posted by Banz:
I hate these international breaks.
Agreed there. I did actually watch the England game for the first time since Euro 2012 though last night and for once it was alright. The first half was horribly boring as usual, but the second half was pretty entertaining and Townsend scored a great goal.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links