The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Old April 3rd, 2013 (01:42 PM).
Itstoppedatumbreon
Destroying Zubats since 1996

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Itstoppedatumbreon
Yellow for me. First game, and being based on the anime, i pretended i was ash
Old April 3rd, 2013 (11:12 PM).
Brendino
Oh good grief.

Nature: Quiet
There are so many of the games that I really liked, with Emerald, HeartGold and White 2 easily rounding out my top 3.

If I could only pick one of them, though, it would be Emerald. Emerald was the first game I actually enjoyed playing once I finished playing the main story, in large part thanks to the Battle Frontier. Gen III is also where I really started getting invested in Pokemon again, so that helps it to the top of my list.

(reduced activity through december, poke me if you need me)
Old April 4th, 2013 (12:18 PM).
Rai
Misao <3

Nature: Impish
Send a message via AIM to Rai
I really love all of the different versions. They all had something unique about them and I associate each with good memories.

If I had to choose which version is the best overall, I would have to go with HeartGold/SoulSilver. I love that any and every pokemon can follow you around and that you can interact with them (I wish this was included in all versions). It also lets you explore two different regions, which no other version (except for the original Gold/Silver) allows you to do. I also love the graphics because they are simple and colorful.
Old April 4th, 2013 (04:03 PM). Edited April 4th, 2013 by CakeGuy.
CakeGuy
Unhatched Egg

GSC or HG/SS

1. You can really see the transition from the first gen, I have played the original Pokemon Red and Crystal versions.

2. The first gen was referenced a lot in the 2nd gen with easter eggs and professor Oak of course and other stuff, Then came the Kanto Arc which really made a connection with the first gen, you can feel that the game is not a game anymore, It became a new world.

3. There's "progress" in the story line. not just the GSC story line but the Pokemon story line as a whole, GSC is actually the sequel of RBY and if you compare BW2 and GSC in terms of playing the role of a sequel. GSC would pwn BW2.

4. You can feel the connection of a pokemon and its trainer, this is because all of the new content is centered around pokemon-trainer relationship. Unlike new contents these days that only caters to those who wants something new, im not against it but i just prefer a game which emphasizes pokemon-trainer relationship. and I think it shows especially when they did a remake (HGSS
wherein your pokemon actually follows you.

5. the battle with red at Mt.Silver is the best trainer battle ever in the history of Pokemon, Red was the only main character that appeared in tons of other generations and GSC started that formula.

6. the key ideas here are that GSC showed progress, TONS of progress in terms of EVERYTHING (contents, gameplay, core value, STORY). Its the only generation where a new typing was born, IIRC it started the dual typing, it also started giving genders as well as breeding and egg hatching, and it was the only generation where you can grab 16 MFKKING gym medals.

the list goes on and on, sure DPP and BW have these innovative contents, but the question is are they really necessary? did they pack that much impact to the whole picture? Battle Frontier was nice, The subway etc etc, but they had no lasting appeal on me unlike the GSC which really made me look at the pokemon series differently.

It's not about EVs or Ivs, which is the best starter, which typing is the best or which generation was awesome and which generation was crap.

If you see a wild Pokemon in front of you, You throw a Pokeball at it. It's that simple
Old April 5th, 2013 (03:39 AM).
Seki
You idiot!

The game that I enjoyed the most on was on Gold back in the good ol' days. That game pretty much summarise my childhood.

VM | PM | MyAnimeList | Theme | Pairs | Previously
Old April 19th, 2013 (12:32 AM).
Pixadom
Unhatched Egg

The very first blue version as it was the first one I played, and as such, the most memorable for me.

PIXADOM - FREE ONLINE 2D PIXEL MONSTER MMORPG

Pixadom is a free 2D online pixel MMORPG where you can fight monsters, meet new people, chat and play games, explore the virtual Pixadom world, battle with other players, complete quests, earn XP, and more!
Old April 21st, 2013 (01:25 PM).
JohSketch
Tech Geek

Nature: Quiet
I have two favorites. Emerald the best because its pretty much the best generation and I love the region. Black 2 coming close just because its the first sequel with a decent storyline but the generation is kinda.... not the same.

Games: Emerald, Red, Diamond, Pearl, Black 2, Heartgold, Black, White, Blue, Ranger, Battle Stadium

Friend Codes:
- Black 2 (3955-7580-0267)
- Pearl (0045-4325-5523)
- Pearl Alternate (0344-5617-0642)

I have alternate friend codes because I have cheated/imported saves on them. I highly suggest not trying to trade with me using the alternate friend codes.

Pokemon Black 2 Team:

Links:
Introductory Post
Old April 21st, 2013 (01:49 PM).
Captain Falcon
Gotta go fast

Nature: Lax
It's a tie between FireRed and Emerald. Gen 3 is my favorite.
Old April 21st, 2013 (03:26 PM).
Fbn11
Unhatched Egg

Pokemon Zafiro is the best for me
Old April 22nd, 2013 (05:08 PM).
Aslan
the pretender

I'd definitely say Heartgold. It was by far one of the most amazing games I have played, even outside of the Pokemon franchise. I felt it had this huge spark, the graphics were amazing and the ability to explore two regions was great. The little additional features thrown in like the Follow-me-feature along with minigames such as the Pokeathlon and other activities was fun. The music was phenomenal as well, I particularly liked the Kanto Trainer theme. Overall it was an enjoyable game and I have always loved replaying it, time and time again. :]
Old April 22nd, 2013 (06:53 PM).
Brittani
Pokefan for life!! (:

Nature: Calm
The most memorable game for me would definitely be Crystal. It was the first pokemon game I've played and it was the game that began my fascination with video games and it gave me tons of memories that make me happy when I look back at them. That, to me, is something special.

"Peace under an illusion is not true peace. It's only meaningful if the real world manages to accomplish it." - Gaara ♥

75% of Pokemon gamers use cheats and specially made codes to make their pokemon battle-worthy. If you are one of the 25% percent that level their Pokemon up legally, put this in your signature.

Old April 22nd, 2013 (07:35 PM).
Rickfields
Togepi

Gold version is my favorite. Transferring my old pokemon from red over was cool, then being able to go back to Kanto and win 8 badges while battling Blue again was cool. Then the "last" battle versus Red atop Mt. Silver was awesome, I never enjoyed a pokemon battle more than that.
Old April 23rd, 2013 (12:12 AM).
Venusawr
Unhatched Egg

It's a relatively easy question. I truly feel like Game Freak has done a good job of improving the games incrementally each generation, so on that criteria alone I'd say Black/White 2 are the best.

Judging the games based on their own merits, I'd give G/S/C my top mark based on how much they contributed to the series as a whole. 100 new Pokemon, time-based events, two-new Pokemon types (the only games in the series to add new types!), trainer re-matches - but best of all, being able to play through Kanto all over again! They were like two games in one, and part of the generation that solidified my love for Pokemon.

I haven't played Black/White, but I'd give Black/White 2 a close second. I'm glad they made the in-game trainers much more challenging. There is also a lot of flexibility and variety in the types of Pokemon you can catch early-on, versus the Rattata/Pidgey/Caterpie combo we've seen played again and again. I also think giving TM's unlimited uses was the best idea introduced in the series ever since the differentiation between physical/special moves. I'm glad I don't have to worry about TM moves anymore when I'm breeding my Pokes.
Old April 23rd, 2013 (12:20 AM).
Treetwig
Banned for being awesome

Pokemon black2/white2 has a lot of features!So i choose pokemon black2 and white2
Old April 23rd, 2013 (07:37 AM).
Nuke

Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
HeartGold had so many stuff to do in it, 16 badges for a start and unlike the originals obviously there was Gen III & IV pokemon incorporated in the game.

I'm resisting the temptation to say Emerald or Fire Red as Gen III were the first games I bought.

I haven't played B/W 2 yet, but based on the original B/W they probably wouldn't be my favourite. Every game in the main series is brilliant though.
Old April 30th, 2013 (04:20 PM).
Clacla
karp karp karp
Community Supporter Tier 5

If you ask me, Yellow is the best Pokémon game out there. I played it back when I started watching the animé (all the way back in gen 1), so it was pretty cool to play through the game with Pikachu following me, and the ability to get each and every one of the Pokémon that Ash caught along his Journey. After Pokémon Yellow, most of the other games disappointed me, because Gamefreak dropped the Follow-Me feature until almost a decade later. I just love the feeling of nostalgia I get from playing it, lol.
Old May 2nd, 2013 (04:02 PM).
TheAwesomeUserName
Zombie Survivalist Expert

Nature: Modest
My favorite version is White 2. It used to be Emerald though.
Old May 3rd, 2013 (04:28 PM).
Sheep
fix my modesty

Nature: Timid
Emerald! I loved the plot, especially the thunderstorm/drought scene towards the end. This game ate up soooo much of my time. <3

da best | family | my star | twin
club 1 club 2 LV
Avatar & Signature by Achromatic
Old May 3rd, 2013 (10:43 PM).
Dark Pit
Where's your goddess now?
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Dark Pit
Platinum.

I like how there was a twist in the story, with Giratina appearing seemingly out of nowhere, attacking you and opening a portal, which you follow to reach the Distortion World...god, that place was creepy. There was more to do too, including the Battle Frontier, which makes a return from Emerald.

Crystal's also up there for me, too, as it brought small changes like moving sprites, and Suicune and Eusine becoming a main part of the story.
Old May 4th, 2013 (12:20 AM).
Ckbruin

Nature: Quirky
My answers are a bit biased as I haven't experienced much of 1st and 2nd gen, but if I were to pick from 3rd gen onwards I would say:

Black 2 / White 2.

Personally I find the slight changes in battle mechanics (moving sprites (as in constantly moving), more efficient in general) to be the most important difference between 5th gen and previous gens. I also enjoyed playing through Black 2 without having to use HMs (cause those are always a pain to get rid of, and I dislike the use of "HM slaves"), with the possible exception of Surf. I dunno, can't remember if I had to use that in the storyline. xD

Emerald is the runner-up, and HG/SS is a close 3rd. I liked Emerald's plot/story in general, and the starters were pretty decent still (Treecko ftw!). SS is 3rd because: 1) there was a 2nd set of gyms to go through after the initial 8 gyms (time-waster, essentially ); and 2) transferring 1st/2nd/3rd gen starters from there to Black 2.
Old May 5th, 2013 (03:59 AM).
Aurora
Ustom Tuser Citle
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Skype™ to Aurora
FireRed, merely because it was the first Pokemon game I ever laid my hands on.
Old May 5th, 2013 (05:01 AM).
Jomu
center of the stage

Nature: Quirky
Ruby was and still is my favorite Pokemon game. Not only was it full of beautiful scenes, but some of my favorite Pokemon such as Shiftry and Camerupt have been born. The caves and cities look beautiful and it makes me want to see more: unlike Black 2 where everything is too linear (IMO!) and makes me wonder where the end of this cave is, or how many more trainers I should battle. I wonder how Emerald looks like, as I have never played the sequel looks like yet.
Old May 5th, 2013 (03:02 PM).
Shadow Wind
Unhatched Egg

I love in the same way all the pokemon games and for each of them I have good memories, But, only because it was my first videogame I choose Sapphire. The 3rd gen games remake are in the air, two o three years and I can return in my original countr, Hoenn.
Old May 5th, 2013 (03:09 PM).
Recluse
The Harbinger of Solitude
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Platinum. The atmosphere this game had and the fact 4th gen is my most favorite.
Old May 15th, 2013 (06:28 AM).
DarkEmeraldRarity
Love-Crazy and Music Mad

Nature: Relaxed
Hmmmm
Platinum or Emerald
Currently playing a wedlocke on both games
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links