The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Official Forums > Community Feedback and Support
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Community Feedback and Support This is the place for your concerns, praises or help relating to the PokéCommunity. Unsure of how to post a thread (though you should find out pretty quickly)? How do you get a blog? Maybe you don’t like a certain feature. Make a thread here and get responses from your fellow members and staff.

Reply
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #26    
Old March 30th, 2013, 08:53 PM
Shiny Celebi
Donator Tier 3
Community Supporter Tier 3
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Internet
Well my take on it is although you're online, you're talking to real people. They read what you say and may judge your posts and you by extension. People develop friendships and relationships on forums like this.

Forum moderators/staff are leaders, and to a new person in an online community, may appear intimidating. Now you may think that is silly, but it happens. When you go online you still have emotions and interact with people the same as you do in real life, only through a computer. If moderators do things to appear intimidating, then people will be intimidated. This is just my take on this and this has happened to me before.
__________________
BMGf Ever Grande City
Reply With Quote
  #27    
Old March 30th, 2013, 08:56 PM
Patchisou Yutohru's Avatar
Patchisou Yutohru
falling down
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by droomph View Post
Wellllllll it's more of a given to some of us.

Like, it's pretty obvious just by a glance to me what the "tone" should be, but maybe for others it's hard.

It's kinda like the body language thing I described earlier. I have trouble understanding body language myself in real life, but I find that it's not much of a big deal. If you can't comprehend it, you'll get by. It's just that you can't truly describe what you feel, but it's not that important.

So my thing is, try to do it, but if you guys find yourselves doing more time analyzing than replying, maybe just don't mind that sort of thing.
I'm just not really sure how someone formats their post really puts that across. I type the way I do because it's easy to read and that's just how I've grown to type over the years. Sometimes when I'm feeling lazy, I don't really use the shift key, but other than that I don't really stray from the way I type with how I capitalize and punctuate my posts. And I don't use smilies much because I just think the ones here (and on all vBulletin forums that don't have custom smilies) are reeeaaally fugly. I think it's really ridiculous to interpret people who type like this as intimidating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternallyAnna View Post
Eh. Not really at all. Please don't use analogies like that. Autism is far to complex an issue to be used off-hand.


Yeah, but it's also just the issue of general communication. It's not so much about people liking you as you being able to accurately convey your meaning with what is actually an extremely limited tool. And in the case of being nervous around hstaff- people tend to fear that if taken the wrong way, they will get in serious trouble. Many of us know this is not at all the case, because we are able to appeal and clarify and take it up with multiple staff members. It is not a one-thing-end-all. But still people feel that that actually is the case. If that makes any sort of sense.

Um one thing as well that actually pertains to staff feedback: Nick you've been coming across a bit "tough **** screw you guys" lately and that's probably not the best way to phrase that at all but what I'm perceiving is kind rubbing me the wrong way. Idrc if you change from that but just so you're aware, that's the kind of vibe I've been getting.
I think if a higher staff member takes your post the wrong way and you get into serious trouble with that, then that higher staff member has some problems that they need to take care of and that problem should be reported to someone of higher authority so that they can deal with it accordingly. But I've never seen that happen once. I've seen (and done) higher staff reply with snarky replies, but that can be said for literally everyone here. We all get snarky from time to time. I just feel like treating higher staff members in particular like you're walking on eggshells around them when you interact with them is just not the way to go about it. Be yourself, do you and just live your life without worrying about how someone on the internet is going to react to that one sarcastic sentence you made in a post four hours ago.
Reply With Quote
  #28    
Old March 30th, 2013, 09:04 PM
Team Fail's Avatar
Team Fail
The fine line between in|sanity
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
I have no idea whether or not that actually answers your question, but that's from my perspective.
I agree with absolutely everything here. Since we use words to convey messages, and not sound clips or something, it leaves an element of anonymity and question in which it's difficult to answer. Think of it this way, and I'd like to see a few replies to this as a proof-of concept. Imagine I randomly VM you (whoever is reading) and I sent you this:

Quote:
Hey! You seem like a cool person, so I thought I'd throw a message your way. What kind of stuff are you into?
What is the first thing that comes to mind after reading it?

I know some people would find it weird that they were VMd that randomly, but others do it to get a few friends here, and (if I'm just unfortunate) I might also send it to the one person that finds me simply obnoxious. Since I have all these factors coming into play, I have a vast array of possible responses, or none at all. All I'd have to go on is the limited knowledge I have of that user. And that's where the intimidation factor comes into play.

And this post got me thinking. Perhaps I should try looking beyond a username, and get to know some more of the staff here, let alone more users. I was kinda intimidated myself when I first registered ages ago, but it seems like after almost 4 years here, it's kinda dumb to say I really feel intimidated, because of two things:

1. Personal experience. I've been a mod, and I know what it's like when people see you as intimidating.
2. I feel like there's more to any member than just a username, and having that one-on-one chat helps to reinforce that fact.

I think, as proceed to both my 18th birthday and begin my 5th year as a PC member, I want to stop being such a coward and just be myself. And honestly, I think the H-Staff are doing that. Being themselves. They're all people. They all bleed red (Or so I hope). And I'm pretty sure they're not nearly as mean as someone might make them out to be.

Holy crap that seems waaay off-topic.
__________________
This signature has been disabled.
Signature is protruding into posts below yours on certain themes.
Please review and fix the issues by reading the signature rules.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Reply With Quote
  #29    
Old March 30th, 2013, 09:06 PM
Patchisou Yutohru's Avatar
Patchisou Yutohru
falling down
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Well, since you asked:

"Hey! You seem like a cool person, so I thought I'd throw a message your way. What kind of stuff are you into?"

The first thing that comes to mind is:
a. Oh cool, that person thinks that I'm a cool person and wanted to tell me that.
b. What kind of stuff am I into?
Reply With Quote
  #30    
Old March 30th, 2013, 09:06 PM
Anna's Avatar
Anna
pants on the floor
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ankh-Morpork
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchisou Yutohru View Post
I think if a higher staff member takes your post the wrong way and you get into serious trouble with that, then that higher staff member has some problems that they need to take care of and that problem should be reported to someone of higher authority so that they can deal with it accordingly. But I've never seen that happen once. I've seen (and done) higher staff reply with snarky replies, but that can be said for literally everyone here. We all get snarky from time to time. I just feel like treating higher staff members in particular like you're walking on eggshells around them when you interact with them is just not the way to go about it. Be yourself, do you and just live your life without worrying about how someone on the internet is going to react to that one sarcastic sentence you made in a post four hours ago.
No I agree with that. And that's completely true. But the fact stands that people will be intimidated, people will misinterpret, and people will worry. And a lot of users here are just kids, too- even less confident in themselves, their opinions, and their ability to convey meaning even offline, where they have all their tools available to them. This is why I believe that staff need to present themselves as approachable, in tune with the general memberbase, and- most importantly- as other fairly normal people spending their free time on a Pokémon forum. Your posting style shouldn't matter too much if you are accurately conveying your feelings and your thoughts to others- and that goes for both staff and members.
__________________
PokéAni +
RT/AH Club +
Detroit +
Pairs +
Family +
Nakama +
Signature +
Reply With Quote
  #31    
Old March 30th, 2013, 09:32 PM
Cherrim's Avatar
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Waterloo, ON
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Nature: Relaxed
I think the issue here is less that people are "intimidating" and more that they're "unapproachable". They're two different things, often used interchangeably (even in my post, I think) or blamed for one another, but I don't think anyone on the higher staff (or mods or anyone on PC) is necessarily intimidating... I think the intimidating part is a byproduct of members not knowing HOW to approach the person because they never/so rarely see them interact with other members in a way that isn't srs business or very, very occasional.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchisou Yutohru View Post
Why are people intimidated by people on the internet?
Because at PC, a lot of people put forward just as much of their personality as they do in real life. It's not just "the internet" to a lot of people here and I don't know why it being the internet makes any difference whatsoever.

If someone is in a position of power/superiority over someone else, when they're aloof and don't interact much with those underneath them in the hierarchy, of course they're going to be intimidating! Who's going to seem more approachable, the clerk at a hobby store who's never afraid to strike up a conversation with like-minded people visiting the shop or the one who sits off to the side and only engages in conversation when it's absolutely necessary, like if someone has a problem or they're doing something horribly wrong? This isn't even a good analogy because PC Staff almost always takes the position that they're just members with extra responsibilities, which is true in a lot of ways--mainly they aren't paid, so modding is just volunteer work on top of what they already did for [their] forum. The requirement for almost any moderator is always to foster discussion and keep people interested. That requirement doesn't (or shouldn't) go away as they climb the ranks and it certainly means effort should be made to keep from seeming intimidating.

Generally, a lot of the staff is friendly and outgoing and interacts with members in the exact same ways they always did before being modded, since not only is it part of the job description but everyone on staff is there because they really, really like PC and like to interact with friends and discuss things with the memberbase here. Yeah, there are some extra serious moments dropped in here and there when "official" stuff has to happen, and staff members are expected to be respectful at all times, but it's not like anyone gets (or should get) a personality makeover the moment they become staff. I can't really think of many times (if any?) that people were modded despite being really aloof or never having interacted much with other members at all... so there's no reason it should be a quality that disappears as you climb the ladder, be it just to mod or all the way to admin. Since every single person on staff, save Rukario, was just a member at some point, it's pretty much fact that they can interact with others on a level that isn't intimidating/rude/whatever you want to call it. Obviously, a lot of people find just the bold or italicized names of staff intimidating because it means that person has the power to ~decide their fate~ on PC, and there's nothing that can be done about that, but I'd say from personal experience that username formatting has almost nothing to do with it. It's entirely about how an individual staff member interacts with members and puts themselves out there that deems whether they are intimidating or approachable.

That said, honestly, if I didn't know you really well, I'd find posts like this really intimidating. Your occasional nonchalant attitude is really aloof and cool but it wouldn't inspire me to contact you about... anything, really. Certainly not anything that wasn't strictly business. Even the wording of your question in this post gives off way more of a "wow lol people take the internet seriously? hahahaha lame" vibe than "why do people find [me] intimidating and how can [I] fix it?" I'd hope you're actually in the latter and something from your posts (sarcasm, etc.) just isn't coming across, but most of your (initial) posts in here are sounding like the former. You're brushing off concerns by telling people not to take the internet seriously when for a lot of people, the internet has nothing to do with it. You're presenting yourself in an intimidating way--if I were talking to you IRL and you were as flat and dismissive as you are now, I'd probably stop talking to you pretty quick because you'd be, if not intimidating, unapproachable. I don't think you're doing it on purpose because I know you better than that, but please don't dismiss this as something that doesn't concern you just because you don't believe intimidation is something that should exist on the internet; I can tell from your repeated replies in this thread that you DO care that there is an issue and it concerns you, but some of your posts don't show it at all. You just have to be a little more careful in your interactions because when you give off vibes that you don't care, that [member concerns] aren't important, you make yourself that much more unapproachable and yes, that can be intimidating.

tl;dr
- Staff are much less intimidating when they are out interacting with members just as often as members are interacting with members... because it puts everyone on the same playing field.
- unfriendly/dismissive staff posts don't help, even if the activity is there, whether the attitude was intentional or not :(
__________________

previously known as lightning.
tumblrtwitter

Reply With Quote
  #32    
Old March 30th, 2013, 11:25 PM
Patchisou Yutohru's Avatar
Patchisou Yutohru
falling down
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by EternallyAnna View Post
No I agree with that. And that's completely true. But the fact stands that people will be intimidated, people will misinterpret, and people will worry. And a lot of users here are just kids, too- even less confident in themselves, their opinions, and their ability to convey meaning even offline, where they have all their tools available to them. This is why I believe that staff need to present themselves as approachable, in tune with the general memberbase, and- most importantly- as other fairly normal people spending their free time on a Pokémon forum. Your posting style shouldn't matter too much if you are accurately conveying your feelings and your thoughts to others- and that goes for both staff and members.
Except by conveying my thoughts to others in this thread alone, I have come across to others as unfriendly so I think there's more to it than just being able to convey your feelings. The point I rose in my first post directed towards the intimidation factor was out of misunderstanding. I didn't - and, in fact, I still don't - understand why people found members (higher staff in particular) to be intimidating. I asked why, and I got an answer. I replied to the answer I got with my genuine feelings on the matter. I appreciate the feedback, especially the feedback from people about me in particular since I would like to improve, but I really don't understand how I'm coming across as dismissive (especially since I'm trying my best to acknowledge all of the points) and, more importantly, unfriendly. Especially after reading over my posts and not seeing anything wrong with them or anything that would translate to me, if I was reading it if it was coming from someone else, as such. What about what I'm posting translates as what I'm posting to be dismissive?
Reply With Quote
  #33    
Old March 31st, 2013, 01:17 AM
curiousnathan's Avatar
curiousnathan
they said we could be anything
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Australia
Gender: Male
Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchisou Yutohru View Post
Well, since you asked:

"Hey! You seem like a cool person, so I thought I'd throw a message your way. What kind of stuff are you into?"

The first thing that comes to mind is:
a. Oh cool, that person thinks that I'm a cool person and wanted to tell me that.
b. What kind of stuff am I into?
If I may, I'd have to disagree. I've asked about your interests before and you've replied quite sarcastically which really rubbed me the wrong way. I'm not sure if I can offer my constructive feedback -- but I will anyway, and if I can't I'll kindly edit my post. Sometimes I feel you can be very cold, and quite sarcastic. I've heard so many great things about you, but whenever I've tried and made the effort to talk to you etc, I get a real unfriendly feeling in return. I just wish you'd be more open and 'friendly' for a lack of a better word. That's just my honest, no crap feelings, and I think I owe it to anyone who does ask for feedback not to lie. Because well, that wouldn't be very helpful at all.

All that aside however, I can understand how people may see staff as intimidating; and personally, I think it's due to acitivty. Perhaps if the h-staff were seen more around the forums, maybe you guys would be able to develop the mentality that...they're people just like you! What puzzles me more though, is why not get to know us/them first? Send us a VM and PM! We don't bite! Naturally, we'll have days where we'll feel a bit off (don't we all), but please don't let it deter you from sending us a friendly message. Isn't it better to at least get to know us -- and realise we're no different to any other member, than to not try at all?

$0.02

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EternallyAnna View Post
No I agree with that. And that's completely true. But the fact stands that people will be intimidated, people will misinterpret, and people will worry. And a lot of users here are just kids, too- even less confident in themselves, their opinions, and their ability to convey meaning even offline, where they have all their tools available to them. This is why I believe that staff need to present themselves as approachable, in tune with the general memberbase, and- most importantly- as other fairly normal people spending their free time on a Pokémon forum. Your posting style shouldn't matter too much if you are accurately conveying your feelings and your thoughts to others- and that goes for both staff and members.
I agree. But adding onto that, we as staff can only be so approachable. Members play somewhat of a role too in changing the relationship between the two parties. If they're initially worried, intimidated etc, and want to make a positive change, then in order for that to happen they'll need to take action and push through those feelings. It's like learning, a teacher can only do so much as to teach their subject; it's then the student's responsibility to take action and develop their learning even further. In other words, if we want to make a positive change, both sides need to take some action and perhaps some initiative. It's a two way street.
__________________
moderator | lovely pair | PC live

Last edited by curiousnathan; March 31st, 2013 at 01:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #34    
Old March 31st, 2013, 03:03 AM
abnegation's Avatar
abnegation
adventure
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchisou Yutohru View Post
Why are people intimidated by people on the internet?
I'm intimidated by cotton wool. Fear is irrational by nature.
Reply With Quote
  #35    
Old March 31st, 2013, 05:14 AM
waterworks
Previously Fireworks
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Scotland
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to waterworks
I can't really say too much since I'm barely here any more, but I do agree with what has been said before; Nick, I find you to be quite sarcastic, a little rude at times, and sometimes, it makes you seem like a...well, yeah, I can't say that word but you get what I mean.

I also think Nica is way too damn happy! I want to see you RAGE! Turn green and start smashing stuff! Don't just shut the door, SLAM that door!

Other than that not really much I can say, since the only staff member I really had any dislike for is no longer staff. You're all good, wonderful people. <3
Reply With Quote
  #36    
Old March 31st, 2013, 06:09 AM
Cherrim's Avatar
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Waterloo, ON
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchisou Yutohru View Post
What about what I'm posting translates as what I'm posting to be dismissive?
It was more your first few posts that felt dismissive--after that, you seemed to realize there really was a problem and you're trying to figure out what it is so you can fix it. No longer dismissive.

Your very first post (the one I quoted) was dismissive because it sounded like you were in disbelief that anyone could feel intimidated on the internet as a medium. It sounded kind of snarky and since I see that kind of post (in an official capacity) from you fairly often (or often enough to remember specific examples), it's easy for me (and others) to assume that was the tone behind it.
__________________

previously known as lightning.
tumblrtwitter

Reply With Quote
  #37    
Old March 31st, 2013, 06:54 AM
Patchisou Yutohru's Avatar
Patchisou Yutohru
falling down
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Oh. That's not what I intended it to sound like. It was just an honest question I wanted to find the answer to because I couldn't really understand why people found others here (and, in turn, on the internet as a whole) to be intimidating. If it was just a "wow lol people take the internet seriously? hahahaha lame" kind of thing, I wouldn't have replied given how seriously I view this.
Reply With Quote
  #38    
Old March 31st, 2013, 08:46 AM
Kura's Avatar
Kura
twitter.com/kuraberrym
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Horsham, UK (orig. Toronto, Canada)
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Nature: Serious
Uur my post deleted when sending. Anyways, I just wanted to add that to me, Nick's been really professional and I feel he comes across as more mature than a lot of staff which is refreshing. Perhaps it is because I know him, so when I see him giving quick replies to others, I just see it as being direct and to the point rather than being rude or mean. I don't mean to poke in just to say this, but I guess it also depends on perspective, and I think Nick's replies are quite well done and I prefer them.

In terms of text, it may be a bit sub-conscious like how a story may be written in a certain way, so you get a certain feeling from the style it's written in.

But Nick, if others are feeling a bit that way about it, it might be a good thing that it was pointed out since now it can be something to be improved and help you grow as an SMod. :3 I like the job you're doing though so don't be deterred by comments.
__________________
~Yuugiou Fan~
~Kamen Rider Fan~
♡(´・ω・`)LOVE! ☆
Reply With Quote
  #39    
Old March 31st, 2013, 09:07 AM
Cordelia
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Nature: Sassy
Nick, one of the ways that you come off as dismissive is just how you are online. I've learned not to take your words that way but I used to not like you and felt you were not exactly the type of person I want to listen to, but as time has gone on and I've learned, that's how you are. You aren't being malicious or anything and I've just come to accept that is the way you are.
Reply With Quote
  #40    
Old March 31st, 2013, 09:22 AM
Magic's Avatar
Magic
DLOA - Please contact Adventure
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Gender: Male
New target!

Mods here are generally really good and helpful, over the years I've been here I've only thought of one as unreasonable, and it looks like he's gone now.

I agree with other members about visibility being key, in most areas that isn't really a problem - but I would say the ROM Hacking section lacks much moderator influence. The only reason you know a mod is there is because threads are being approved... otherwise there isn't much posting going on. From what I've seen of the other sections there are a lot more posts/threads made by the mods.

Saying that I'm sure it takes them ages to sift through thread after thread telling people to include all the necessary bits and bobs.

Someone suggested above a 'meet the mods' kind of post where there is something about each of you. I reckon that could be a good idea, in the same way it helped newbies pick a mentor (wait did that go?). Maybe a brief intro in their section's rules, or in the main site's rules for SMods/Admins.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #41    
Old March 31st, 2013, 09:51 AM
Echidna's Avatar
Echidna
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vaniville Town
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Brave
On the late topic of rudeness, I personally don't see anything wrong about how the staff handle situations. Sure at first I was very intimidated by the staff, and it took a while to get to know some of them and make friends with them. After said point it got much smoother knowing that staff were/are just like us. The only problem I used to have with some former staff which no longer exists, and some may blame this on me but that would be your point of view, is that there used to a certain amount of face-level hatred towards n00bness if you will. I don't wanna go into detail on this because as I said, this hasn't been a problem in a long time and also because I don't wanna say something that I will regret towards former staff. It's just that, everyone was a n00b at one point and there was a time when some people outright expressed their hatred and/or mockery of someone doing something wrong online because they were new to this corner of the cyberverse, and had no idea what was going on. So enough on that topic.

I personally don't take offense at all when a staff member acts firmly to enforce the rules because hey, it's their job. And as long as they do show, albeit somewhere else, that they are in fact fun/humorous, I'm completely fine myself. The problem in my opinion is that this does no register with the newer members.
Here's a quick anecdote:
When I first joined PC, I was completely and utterly oblivious towards the rules. I did something back then that was so stupid, I can't believe I wasn't banned instantly D:
I'm not gonna get into detail about what exactly it was that I did, but I can remember that instead of getting an infraction or even a warning, I simply got a PM from a moderator I can only remember as Nica. YES HER <3 <3
Anyways, she explained to me what I had done wrong, what I should have done and what I could do in the future to fix it. I was so grateful that the situation was handled with that level of care or if you will, sugar-coating.

So there stands my point. As I mentioned, personally I have no problem whatsoever, at the moment, with the lack of sugar-coating when it comes to some rule enforcing on the moderators' behalf. But I can't say the same for newer members. And from my own experience, if the moderator who handled that situation that happened when I first joined hadn't done so with sugar-coating, I can fairly say that I would not be here today.

Granted not everyone shares my view of things, but if you ask me it would be better to stay on the safe side of things because you never know when a little sugar-coating could potentially save the staff a lot of trouble, as well as give a new member a chance at fixing their ways and growing on the forums.

2cents aaaaand out~ <3
__________________






Reply With Quote
  #42    
Old March 31st, 2013, 10:04 AM
The Prince of Sweet Sorrow's Avatar
The Prince of Sweet Sorrow
The Sorrow is Sweet, as is the Fruit!
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to The Prince of Sweet Sorrow
I don't think I can tell you much of today's staff. I make sure to avoid contact with the mods, that's why, and why is that? Well the mods I have met in the past are the reason, who are now either gone from the community or don't maintain their title. Despite their dashing [internet] looks and attitude, it occurred to me in the past that that was just a mask they wear to hide their insecurity and selfishness, not to mention their overall bad and complex person. I'm mainly talking about the RH section, since that is where I was active the most. Even if they did help the community as a whole, they were mistreating certain people. The 'noobs', if the derogatory term is allowed. And RH was(/is) full of them, so these people were poor choices for that job and were quite undeserving their titles. My point is; please be more careful when choosing the mods. A mod doesn't need to be dedicated only, they need to be nice as well. And 'nice' is not defined by popular and sexy or whatever.

My other complaint is that you mods maintain an attitude which makes me (and probably others) feel mocked, even when I am being completely serious. And this has happened since forever. Like, you're being sarcastic, or random, which I feel is entirely out of place, seeing as your job is not to confound people or pull off stunts. Your job isn't to rule them, either.

/rant.

__________________
*****

Last edited by The Prince of Sweet Sorrow; April 1st, 2013 at 05:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #43    
Old March 31st, 2013, 12:03 PM
Caelus
Gone
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchisou Yutohru View Post
Why are people intimidated by people on the internet?
While I agree that being afraid of someone you'll most likely never meet in person is a little unusual, I can recall being intimidated by the whole staff when I joined. I was 14 at the time so I think it's only natural that users that are older than me - or more experienced - would intimidate me, just like how in high school when you start out as a freshman and you have the upperclassmen who are bigger than you, that can also intimidate a lot of people. It also didn't help that some staff members never posted, never responded to VMs, and when they did post it was usually a thread they had to lock with something witty/sarcastic. That's how I saw it when I first joined.


Now that I'm older I don't find the staff here intimidating at all. Even the ones I used to be intimidated by don't faze me at all anymore. I don't know if that's because I don't take this site as serious as I used to, or if it's because I realize that you guys are just like me: human beings that go through the rigors of the real world. And a lot of you guys are older than most users here so you're going through college/real world stuff, so now I understand why some of you guys don't socialize with everyone, especially when you also got to deal with spam. That's what I see at least.

Compared to other sites I've been to you guys are a lot more approachable. No one's perfect but you guys have been cool with me during my stay here and some of you guys have even talked to me (surprising given how I always see myself as being a little too serious in my posts).

Plus I've never received an infraction here before so I don't understand how users here complain about you guys being strict. Seriously, if I have yet to get a single infraction after 2600+ posts here I don't know how anyone else could get one if they read the rules here, which are pretty lenient. The closest I've gotten to one was a warning I received from Beachboy back when he was a moderator, but that was because I posted twice in a newbie thread and that wasn't even a yellow card warning.


Other than disallowing swearing (which I can understand since it's a forum aimed at kids) I don't have a problem with the rules here; I've seen dumber rules in several other sites and the rules here are pretty easy to follow.

I can't speak for all the users here since I've been pretty inactive this past month and don't plan on being active anytime soon, but from my observations here since I returned (Late January of this year) you guys are doing your job and aren't mistreating other users, even the ones that have joined recently, so like I've said several times already I think you guys are doing a great job given that you're all human and therefore not perfect.


Just my 2 cents regarding this thread
__________________
-
Reply With Quote
  #44    
Old March 31st, 2013, 12:40 PM
Antemortem's Avatar
Antemortem
why did Kevin Spacey age
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texas, United States
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Antemortem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Maverick View Post
My other complaint is that you mods maintain an attitude which makes me (and probably others) feel mocked, even when I am being completely serious. And this has happened since forever. Like, you're being sarcastic, or random, which I feel is entirely out of place, seeing as your job is not to confound people or pull off stunts. Your job isn't to rule them, either.
This concerns me. Do you think you could come up with specific instances in which a member of staff has blatantly disregarded or feigned interest in a serious situation that involved you? I do believe there is a fine line between needing to secure a certain serious demeanor and when it's fine to just be human, as all members and staff alike are, but if the times you speak of required the staff member(s) in question to, at the very, very least, give you an earnest moment of their time, they should have and it's unacceptable for them to have done any less.
__________________
creativity tastes different on my tongue
oras ... cm
Reply With Quote
  #45    
Old March 31st, 2013, 01:24 PM
Sydian's Avatar
Sydian
you burn with us
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Alabama
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Nature: Timid
Quote:
I don't think I can tell you much of today's staff. I make sure to avoid contact with the mods, that's why, and why is that? Well the mods I have met in the past are the reason, who are now either gone from the community or don't maintain their title. Despite their dashing [internet] looks and attitude, it occurred to me in the past that that was just a mask they wear to hide their insecurity and selfishness, not to mention their overall bad and complex person.
I really hate that the staff back then has shaped your opinion on them now. If I ever did anything to add to that (I was modded later on in the year you joined), then I apologize. I know you said you were talking mainly about RH mods, but I still can't help but say something. I wouldn't let that turn you away from talking to current mods, though. I think the current mods are much friendlier and more approachable than the mods that were around when I joined and even when I was modded. I know that just sounds like opinion, but I think most people that were here then and still here now can agree that the current mods do come off a lot nicer than they did back then. I can think of a few examples, but it doesn't really matter since none of them are around anymore.

tl;dr I hope that you can see that the current staff is different than it was back then. We're a different group of people, so don't let the sour ones from back then let you have a bad opinion on (almost) completely new people. :)
__________________
Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be
If we met at midnight in the hanging tree

paired to peeta
Reply With Quote
  #46    
Old April 1st, 2013, 09:58 AM
Kura's Avatar
Kura
twitter.com/kuraberrym
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Horsham, UK (orig. Toronto, Canada)
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antemortem View Post
This concerns me. Do you think you could come up with specific instances in which a member of staff has blatantly disregarded or feigned interest in a serious situation that involved you? I do believe there is a fine line between needing to secure a certain serious demeanor and when it's fine to just be human, as all members and staff alike are, but if the times you speak of required the staff member(s) in question to, at the very, very least, give you an earnest moment of their time, they should have and it's unacceptable for them to have done any less.
A perfect example waz when Luke mocked another member in his blog ages ago. The comment i wrote was " not cool, man " then he edited his whole blog so i guess he wouldnt get in trouble by hiding subliminal messages in it like the title being "kura sucks" if you only looked at the first letter of each word. I didnt report it because i thought it was childish and wasn't worth my time, but did screenshot it in case he ever hard deleted it and said it never happened. All i ever did wad stick up for the little guy. Imagine if it were a more sensitive member? I know its not applicable because he is not staff anymore, but doing that while being staff is unacceptable.We are all people and not everyone's gonna like each other but don't be catty and mock others publicly like that when you're supposed to be the guys setting things right.


I have other examples and other proof of mocked behaviour if you need it but im writing from my phone atm.

Btw the blog should still be there without the need of my screenshotlong with a couple other snarky blogs that were dine if anyone wants proof of that.
Hope this helps define what we might mean by being mocked. It should concern you as it really isnt that long ago.


Also just a question. Iknow audy does server stuff and jake does themes and back end stuff too ob pc. But what does syphiel do? I know she is a sweet girl but what is her role as h staff?

Edit: Also to make this post a bit more lighthearted:
__________________
~Yuugiou Fan~
~Kamen Rider Fan~
♡(´・ω・`)LOVE! ☆

Last edited by Kura; April 1st, 2013 at 01:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #47    
Old April 1st, 2013, 10:15 AM
roosterman's Avatar
roosterman
Freaking annoying!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The moon
Gender: Male
Nature: Brave
So one thing I notice a lot is that some staff members can be really...touchy, I guess. Lately i'm just not posting a lot on these forums because i'm afraid i'll somehow offend someone and get in another fight. This may just be me but seriously I think everyone just needs to chill out.
__________________

pokemon black 2 friend code: 1979 8164 1100
my best battle video: 72-38989-76548. tell me your thoughts!
"Believe it or not, angels crap much more than other beings. Ever wonder why the phrase "holy crap" is so popular?" -macomuu
Reply With Quote
  #48    
Old April 1st, 2013, 10:22 AM
Went's Avatar
Went
-Omega-
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Madrid
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Send a message via Skype™ to Went
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kura View Post
Also just a question. Iknow audy does server stuff and jake does themes and back end stuff too ob pc. But what does syphiel do? I know she is a sweet girl but what is her role as h staff?
Jess and I mostly do the small day-to-day stuff: uploading emblems, fixing errors in themes, editing usertitles and, in general, anything that gets posted in the Admin Requests thread in the Mod lounge.
__________________

Magma Leader Maxie wants to battle!
Crobat (Lv. 37) - Inner Focus - (Wing Attack, Bite)
Camerupt (Lv. 39) - Sheer Force - (Earthquake, Rock Slide)
November 28th / Staff Collab 2014
Reply With Quote
  #49    
Old April 1st, 2013, 10:23 AM
Ausaudriel's Avatar
Ausaudriel
Chief Mechanic
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: San Francisco
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kura View Post
Also just a question. Iknow audy does server stuff and jake does themes and back end stuff too ob pc. But what does syphiel do? I know she is a sweet girl but what is her role as h staff?
The thing about h-staff and actually admins especially is that we don't all have specific "benefits" to PC or "roles" that we serve. It's great that I have the ability to code new features and that Jake has the ability to create beautiful styles, but neither of those things are a requirement nor are they the sole reasons we were promoted through the ranks and eventually to admin.

The primary role of any h-staffer, honestly, is just to be there. It's our job to form the governing body and lead/shape the community. Jess or any of the other less public h-staff may not visibly contribute in a way that members can see, but every single one of us are responsible for what PC is today by way of contributing ideas, opinions, plans, and other things in the HQ and above. Everything from the rules that members follow to the descriptions in the boards members post in to the guidelines on how to properly moderate the board--all of these are things we've discussed in detail and every single one of us have added to them in one way or the other. My coding or Jake's styles wouldn't mean anything if it wasn't for Jess' calm, unbiassed, and intelligent contributions in choosing moderators or defining rules or contributing a thought-provoking post that takes an issue like "what do we do about board x being so dead?" and turns it into an opportunity to transform and revamp the section.

so yeah. 8)
__________________
x paired with sylphiel x
x I am a magnet for all kinds of deeper wonderment x
Reply With Quote
  #50    
Old April 1st, 2013, 02:06 PM
Adventure's Avatar
Adventure
i n t e r s t e l l a r
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sweden
Gender: Female
Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterman View Post
So one thing I notice a lot is that some staff members can be really...touchy, I guess. Lately i'm just not posting a lot on these forums because i'm afraid i'll somehow offend someone and get in another fight. This may just be me but seriously I think everyone just needs to chill out.
Sounds like you are the touchy one ;) I wouldn't worry too much. As have already been stated kind of in this thread a few times, people don't necessarily type like they speak/act/intend. The written word tends to twist things around sometimes. But I might understand what you mean, if I get into some kind of misunderstanding or disagreement with someone online, I tend to worry more about it than I do about similar situations in real life. Probably just because I don't know the online person as well as I know real life people.

It's not just about staff; if everyone always did their best to think twice before writing something or replying to something possibly touchy-like that others have written, things would be chill. I know I should think twice a bit more often, for instance :> It's just, for staff, the imprint a badly worded or hasted post can make is a bit bigger than for a regular member maybe.


About staff being cocky, I've seen that a lot on other, newer forums. But PC has been around for quite a while now and the (old lol) admins know what they want in a moderator and most of the time have a wide group of people to choose from. They don't need to pick a power hungry person when they can pick friendly, eager people with a healthy portion of common sense built into them. So I just generally trust the H-staff to do just that. And that's that :> There will always be people who dislike others, for whatever minor reasons or events (which I want to refer to as misunderstandings because that's the case 90% of the time).


tl;dr In my world, everyone's a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies.
__________________
mankind was born on earth
it was never meant to die here

Reply With Quote
Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 08:29 AM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.