The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Official Forums > Community Feedback and Support

Notices

Community Feedback and Support This is the place for your concerns, praises or help relating to the PokéCommunity. Unsure of how to post a thread (though you should find out pretty quickly)? How do you get a blog? Maybe you don’t like a certain feature. Make a thread here and get responses from your fellow members and staff.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 1st, 2013, 02:34 PM
tabor62
PONPONPON
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Hmm, well I don't come in contact with most staff enough cuz I hole up in Trade Corner all the time. Though, what I can say is that the TC mods and TwilightBlade are awesome staff members and I haven't had any sort of problem with them before (hopefully never). Keep it up guys!

Friend Codes
Y

Trade Reviews
Click Here

Ever wonder what goes through my head as I breed Pokemon? Want to see all the steps and pains I take to provide Pokemon for all of you? Well clicky clicky [here].
Old April 2nd, 2013, 04:34 AM
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kura
Just had another random idea I think would be nice.

Anyone ever thought of doing a Staff/Member appreciation thread in Other Trivia? I can understand it might end up getting a bit spammy so that's why I thought to put it there.. and I also understand that some people use their blogs for this, but I think it's nice for people who don't have a blog, to write something nice about the members/mods especially for thanking them for doing something they thought was outstanding or helpful?

Just a thought.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 04:51 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kura View Post
Just had another random idea I think would be nice.

Anyone ever thought of doing a Staff/Member appreciation thread in Other Trivia? I can understand it might end up getting a bit spammy so that's why I thought to put it there.. and I also understand that some people use their blogs for this, but I think it's nice for people who don't have a blog, to write something nice about the members/mods especially for thanking them for doing something they thought was outstanding or helpful?

Just a thought.
Well, I have a few conflicting feelings about this, and bear with me here, maybe this won't be such a significant worry about all, but there's something that still bothers me:

When you're considering a thread that's going into specific detail about either members or staff, I always fear that either staff or specific members would leave someone out, and then people would end up getting their feelings, hurt, y'know? I mean, in case that doesn't make sense, look at the rule in OVP about not making any threads about specific members. It's because, if say, if a certain moderator is doing an excellent job, but they're not recognized in said staff appreciation thread, they might feel like their work isn't appreciated. Now realize, I might be putting things in the most extreme sense, but that's actually a fairly real possibility, and I'd personally want to avoid something like that at all costs.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 04:58 AM
Cordelia
Banned

Nature: Sassy
I disagree.

Staff don't need to be put on a pedestal by having an appreciation thread. I just like interacting with members on a normal level since I am just a member with duties to the forum.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 05:28 AM
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
I disagree.

Staff don't need to be put on a pedestal by having an appreciation thread. I just like interacting with members on a normal level since I am just a member with duties to the forum.
When I wrote staff/ member, I meant staff and member, not staff-member, sorry for the confusion!
Old April 2nd, 2013, 05:34 AM
Vital
ignore the whisper
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Vital
So a feel good thread basically, Kura, that's open to everyone that can be about anyone? That's not a terrible idea, honestly. I don't see anything wrong with publicly showing appreciation or admiration towards any particular member.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 05:57 AM
Arago
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
I think that's a great idea and worth giving it a shot.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 09:24 AM
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodex View Post
So a feel good thread basically, Kura, that's open to everyone that can be about anyone? That's not a terrible idea, honestly. I don't see anything wrong with publicly showing appreciation or admiration towards any particular member.
Yeah, kinda like Dear anonymous, but doesn't have to be anonymous but only good things can be said.. like "___ is really friendly with trades! Thanks for the awesome Kingler" or "I'd like to send my appreciation to ___ for welcoming me to the forums." Or whatever, really. I guess I can only see it getting messy if people start being like "write things about me!" or is a bit spammy like "I appreciate __ because of HIS AWESOMENESS" but I don't really see that happening all that much, and if it does, the postcount there doesn't matter anyway, so it's fine.
I don't even feel like every post has to be directed at a person.. it can be like "Thanks Pokecommunity, for letting me find lots of friends."
Like I said, I see it in blogs sometimes and it's super cute, so it'd be nice to extend it to people who don't have blogs.

People feeling left out may be something valid to bring up, but maybe that'll inspire them to be more helpful around the community? I guess if we see it going a bad route, we can always lock it and shut it down, no?
Old April 2nd, 2013, 09:30 AM
Vital
ignore the whisper
Community Supporter

I like it a lot. It actually reminds me of a page on Facebook, a "compliments page" where people inbox compliments and the moderator posts it, and the whole thing turned out really nice and cute. What you're suggesting is basically the same thing, and I feel like it's definitely worth a shot. Worst come to worst, we can always close it.

The only think I'm not sure about is if it should be in OT. The "posts not being added" portion makes a lot of sense, but to me it just seems like a really weird place to put such a thread.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 09:45 AM
Melody
Singing Nature's Melody
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Melody
Actually OT wouldn't be a weird place to put it if you ask me, because it's an experimental thread, and it would require less moderation in OT than it would elsewhere.

I don't see them going to the trouble to sequester such a thread elsewhere in it's own sub-forum unless it becomes wildly popular and too much for OT. This isn't like Dear Anonymous, where it does NEED to be WATCHED CLOSELY because people might say something disrespectful, since it's almost the polar opposite to Dear Anonymous.

I'd love to have a thread to this effect. It doesn't matter if the thread allows me to drop a name or not anyway, and we could make it anonymous so no one feels left out if that's a serious concern we have. But it'd be nice to have a place to leave positive messages, and a good counterpoint to Dear Anonymous.

Heck, we could put a serious version of it right alongside Dear Anonymous in OVP if Sammi-san doesn't mind, and moderate it for spam. Then have a spammy version in OT for silly ones where we just want to say nice things for no real reason! :P

"It loves to bask in the sunlight. It uses the leaf on its head to seek out warm places."
Chikorita

Old April 2nd, 2013, 10:33 AM
shenanigans
hear me roar

I'm reminded of something that used to be on a forum I'm a member of a long time back. Basically there was a section which was full of threads just asking the thread's creator questions about them, chatting about the answers, etc. If anyone's a Reddit user, sort of similar to IAMA threads. They weren't strictly member fanclubs per se since the aim of those threads was to get to know users rather than to kiss the ground they walk on, but I think you get the idea. They were essentially used to get to know interesting and influential members of the community as well as... just about anyone else, really.

Does this make sense, and how would anyone feel about such a thing on PokéCommunity? Or is it kinda over-the-top? Just a (probably horrible lol) suggestion which I may as well as throw out there.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 12:14 PM
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Leaf View Post
I'm reminded of something that used to be on a forum I'm a member of a long time back. Basically there was a section which was full of threads just asking the thread's creator questions about them, chatting about the answers, etc. If anyone's a Reddit user, sort of similar to IAMA threads. They weren't strictly member fanclubs per se since the aim of those threads was to get to know users rather than to kiss the ground they walk on, but I think you get the idea. They were essentially used to get to know interesting and influential members of the community as well as... just about anyone else, really.

Does this make sense, and how would anyone feel about such a thing on PokéCommunity? Or is it kinda over-the-top? Just a (probably horrible lol) suggestion which I may as well as throw out there.
I like the idea of this a lot, though I kinda worry about the fact that that might specifically become like a popularity contest. Who defines who is "interesting" and "influential"? Aren't we all in our own way? I like IAMA threads on reddit because they can be quite interesting, but maybe we can open something like this up to the IRC.

Maybe we can make the IRC have like a sort of "QUESTIONS EVENT" every once in a while, where up to 3 (or however many) members sign up every Friday to answer questions about themselves on the IRC. That way the IRC gets activity, (I say three in case a couple get suddenly busy, or if the IRC is dead they can always ask questions to each other until someone new pops up,) and it can essentially be like the same thing and whatnot.
It'll take away the whole "My IAMA thread has more posts than yours" and take away who is allowed to have an IAMA thread or who might get ignored if they posted in one IAMA thread in favour for someone with more postcount or popularity or whatever.

Just trying a compromise about this too. What do you think?
Old April 2nd, 2013, 12:17 PM
shenanigans
hear me roar

...ignore the part where I said anything about interesting and influential, haha. The threads'd be for anyone to make so anyone who wants to make one, can make one. Idk why I said that.

As for the IRC idea - at first I saw those dreaded letters and thought it'd be terrible but I like it. It definitely eliminates the issues of the IAMA threads, but at the same time not as many people would be able to see it and after the event's done it's gone, so... idk. There are positives and negatives to both. I think that maybe, while the IRC idea really helps eliminate the issues with such threads, it's not as widely visible to the community as a thread is so maybe it'd not do the job as well as it could.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 12:22 PM
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143

Quote:
...ignore the part where I said anything about interesting and influential, haha. The threads'd be for anyone to make so anyone who wants to make one, can make one. Idk why I said that.

As for the IRC idea - at first I saw those dreaded letters and thought it'd be terrible but I like it. It definitely eliminates the issues of the IAMA threads, but at the same time not as many people would be able to see it and after the event's done it's gone, so... idk. There are positives and negatives to both. I think that maybe, while the IRC idea really helps eliminate the issues with such threads, it's not as widely visible to the community as a thread is so maybe it'd not do the job as well as it could.
Well it could be ongoing, and people can always sign up for the next week or they can sign up for multiple weeks if they wanted to. I'm sure it or the IRC would be visible if we made an announcement or if we put it on the header of Other Chat or so.

Maybe Celebrations section can then be turned into Celebrations and Community Events and it can be put there? Or have it as another subsection. I wouldnt want to make the sections messy but it's just a thought.

Otherwise the IAMA would have to have its own section like MemberClubs otherwise I can see it overpowering other sections with other discussion going on?
Old April 2nd, 2013, 12:23 PM
Vital
ignore the whisper
Community Supporter

Quote:
I like the idea of this a lot, though I kinda worry about the fact that that might specifically become like a popularity contest.
I think an idea like the one Razor mentioned would inevitable brings shades of popularity into play. I think it's sort of unavoidable, just think about it. A popular thread would mean the person is well known and complimented. If you're a person many people might not know about, then it makes perfect sense that yours won't be so replied too. Does that make sense?

Quote:
Maybe we can make the IRC have like a sort of "QUESTIONS EVENT" every once in a while, where up to 3 (or however many) members sign up every Friday to answer questions about themselves on the IRC. That way the IRC gets activity, (I say three in case a couple get suddenly busy, or if the IRC is dead they can always ask questions to each other until someone new pops up,) and it can essentially be like the same thing and whatnot.
It'll take away the whole "My IAMA thread has more posts than yours" and take away who is allowed to have an IAMA thread or who might get ignored if they posted in one IAMA thread in favour for someone with more postcount or popularity or whatever.
Hmmmmm, I'm 50/50 on this idea. On one half, it solves the popularity issue that you brought up, but on the other, it also makes the thing turn into a game show of sorts. Wrong analogy, but it seems weird. There's also the fact that IRC is dead, but I guess with enough publicizing, we could go over that hill and finally give the IRC some well deserved activity. I like the idea more than I dislike it, that's for sure. It kind of feels like a PC event every week or something. :3

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I like it. =D
Old April 2nd, 2013, 12:24 PM
adventure
in mega we believe

Nature: Naive
Quote:
compliments thread, diary of what nice things has been done to you today etc thread ideas
I just have to say something about this. I don't think it's a good idea. You are all focusing and worrying too much about what others think of you. Online, of all places! Showing appreciation should be done genuinely by complimenting a person because you want to and have the balls to do it. Not because there's a place where you might even be expected to post something because someone might think you're not appreciative otherwise (ok that was a bad case future scenario but still). And if you don't have the balls to compliment someone when you think they deserve it, via PM or VM or by liking a post or by post comments (it's what I do quite often) then just don't! It's no big deal.

Quote:
getting-to-know-staff more kind of thread idea
Good idea. Like "Meet the staff". Just with a little form that mods can fill in (with every field being optional, of course) like age, location, occupation, twitter, tumblr, main interests, favorite word, favorite soup I dunno. And probably a little field where the staff member can type up 100 words or so with a little presentation.

That way there would be an easily accessible place where we can look up who's really controlling our favorite section when a new mod suddenly pops up on the forum leader's page. And smods and admins too, since we maybe don't see admins out posting around sections as much as the local mods and therefore they naturally might feel a bit more unapproachable. Really, it doesn't have to be more complicated than that, no walls of texts (that's what the biographies on their profiles are for if they want, right?) and no members poking their posts into the thread asking stuff they could do in a friendly, personal convo via VM.

The reason I can see for having a thread where a mod makes one such post each (and I guess it gets deleted if they are demodded) is to keep this interesting info in one place rather than have members click around the mod's profiles to check it out, where some things might not be listed anyways. (wasn't there such a thread in the staff forum couple of years ago? I bet it's there still. That was just with contact info though, this could be more fun-like perhaps)

I just kind of mostly wanted to react to this new view a lot of you seem to have - that everything should be questioned and evaluated and personally discussed. Just... We come here in our free time to blow off some steam or whatever. Not to live a second life. lol as if I've not been living my second life here Hope you get what I'm trying to say and not just see this as garble garble rant derp.

:]

<<CLOUD v2.0>>
Old April 2nd, 2013, 12:44 PM
Melody
Singing Nature's Melody
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Melody
Quote:

I honestly think that's a great idea. Especially for those members here on PC who simply don't have a blog to use because they're too young to donate themselves! Heck, sometimes it makes sense to have a thread...just because. Post count wouldn't have to matter there either...and you could use a thread like that to interact with people.

Yes, we do have VMs, but not everyone wants to VM silly questions. That and having a thread about one's self would enable people to basically give sort of an expanded bio or whatever other information is pertinent. You could go to town on the CSS and formatting and really list out everything you want to! (Within reason of course) Personally I think VMs are simply better for a quick and non-intrusive message to others, but I would like to have a place I can point the newbies to

But we have blogs right?, some people do anyways. Not everyone can donate, because they're too young. Sometimes even sneaking out a letter to Steve with a few weeks of allowance might be something a kid can't get away with easily. 5000 posts is a pretty tall order too, if you just want a blog and have to attend school 8 hours a day and spend 4 hours on homework too.

"It loves to bask in the sunlight. It uses the leaf on its head to seek out warm places."
Chikorita

Old April 2nd, 2013, 01:03 PM
Echidna
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Wow, both Kura's and Harry's ideas are great! An appreciation thread and a get-to-know-your-fellow-member section! Of course imo, posts shouldn't count in either because they could get pretty SPAMy in a sense. But yes, I do agree that both these ideas could help promote friendliness around the forums as well as remove any of those rank-barriers that newer members see.

Old April 2nd, 2013, 01:06 PM
Vital
ignore the whisper
Community Supporter

Oh, I forgot to say that I do like Harry's idea. Possibly more so than Kura's simply because it's something that people can look back on. I don't know about you, but I'd like to be able to go back to the compliments I get and smile. I hope that doesn't make me sound egotistical or anything.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 01:31 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Disagree. The same problem could occur within IRC as well, and arguably it could actually be worse. Consider this: You're pushing for activity for the IRC (which is understandable, of course!), but the huge problem with that is that so many people can be talking at once, and not everyone's questions could ever really be answered (in a timely manner, or otherwise). If possible, then the staff could allow exceptions within the revival rule as well as the double-posting rule, allowing staff themselves to revive their AMAs if they died, or to bump it if it becomes too inactive, things of that nature.

I hope I got this right. @_@
Old April 2nd, 2013, 01:59 PM
Oryx
Moon Prism POWER
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
Disagree. The same problem could occur within IRC as well, and arguably it could actually be worse. Consider this: You're pushing for activity for the IRC (which is understandable, of course!), but the huge problem with that is that so many people can be talking at once
You haven't been on the IRC lately have you? It's pretty much a ghost town. There's no danger of there being too much activity.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 02:02 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujours View Post
You haven't been on the IRC lately have you? It's pretty much a ghost town. There's no danger of there being too much activity.
Um...however true that is, that was kind of rude. Yes, I know that I haven't been on IRC in a long time, but I still don't understand what having it on the IRC would achieve that having it's own forum wouldn't. But that's just me.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 02:07 PM
Oryx
Moon Prism POWER
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Sorry, I didn't mean it that way at all. :( It was meant as a joke, since it's so completely dead.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 02:11 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toujours View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean it that way at all. :( It was meant as a joke, since it's so completely dead.
Eh, no worries. xD; I kind of took it out of context anyway, so my fault. ^^;;

In any case yeah, I understand (especially since it's pretty much common knowledge now) that the IRC hardly gets any activity at all. Now now, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't oppose it by any means (my last post was disagreeing with the point that "my AMAs has more posts than yours", etc), but I guess I have a hard time of really understanding how it would function in practice. Oraganization is a huge thing for me, and I just have the fear of people asking too many questions at once, and then it becomes hard to keep track of, y'know?

But you visit the IRC more than I do, and to be fair, this is really honestly something I just pulled out of a hat, if anything else. More like a worst case scenario that, given from your post, isn't too likely to happen.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 02:31 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
How about some sort of "Question Box" thing?

I don't know if this is even a good idea honestly, but I'll just throw it out there.

On the IRC, you send a PM to the person that's the questioned, and if they want to, they can answer the question in public.

…yeah, something like that

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links