The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Official Forums > Community Feedback and Support

Notices

Community Feedback and Support This is the place for your concerns, praises or help relating to the PokéCommunity. Unsure of how to post a thread (though you should find out pretty quickly)? How do you get a blog? Maybe you don’t like a certain feature. Make a thread here and get responses from your fellow members and staff.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 2nd, 2013, 02:36 PM
Jak
baby smod

Nature: Timid
I hate to be a butt but um...isn't this whole thread topic about this thread thing kinda...detracting from the point of this thread? We're not exactly discussing staff feedback anymore so...just thought I'd say something...

i'm gonna fly like a bird from the night
Old April 2nd, 2013, 02:45 PM
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Sky View Post
Disagree. The same problem could occur within IRC as well, and arguably it could actually be worse. Consider this: You're pushing for activity for the IRC (which is understandable, of course!), but the huge problem with that is that so many people can be talking at once, and not everyone's questions could ever really be answered (in a timely manner, or otherwise). If possible, then the staff could allow exceptions within the revival rule as well as the double-posting rule, allowing staff themselves to revive their AMAs if they died, or to bump it if it becomes too inactive, things of that nature.

I hope I got this right. @_@
Hmm that could be true enough, really.. so what is another solution? If we're going to consider the Questions/ AMA threads, would there have to be a section for it? Or would it just be like one big thread in OT like "Ask the below user a question" sorta thing? But.. now that I think of it, don't we have that already or something similar?

Edit: My bad, is there a way we can move it onto a new thread/ make a new thread about it and move these posts into the new thread?

Sorry for derailing the convo, I didn't expect this to happen.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 02:52 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
If you want you can go for a new thread in this section to discuss the ideas and maybe collect them together in the one post, it's already getting a bit hard to follow it all haha.

Sheep in the Big City: General Specific
Old April 2nd, 2013, 02:56 PM
Axton
hear me roar

Indeed.

Anyway, onward with the staff feedback, please! :D
Old April 5th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143

I don't mean to specifically bring the convo back to making threads, but if the staff bio thread isn't going to happen, do we happen to have a "What is a Moderator" thread? I mean.. we stress this is a kids forum.. and even I didn't know what some of the higher staff of H staff actually do. Maybe not as its own thread, but in the FAQ we can just give a little description of what a mod is there for vs. what higher staff is there for and what their responsibilities generally are?
Either that or it could be put in the staff bio thread on the top as an add-on. :3 Just a thought about it to help give the members more insight if you wanted.

Also.. not sure about this, but are there going to be official blog rules posted? Or am I just blind and they are here already? >_> I hope posting this here is okay anyways.

I'd also like to welcome Bloodex as staff too. I think you guys made an awesome choice as he's a really friendly guy, approachable, easy to talk to and patient, and unbiased too! :3 Welcome as Mod, Bloodex!!
Old April 5th, 2013, 11:16 AM
Echidna
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kura View Post
I don't mean to specifically bring the convo back to making threads, but if the staff bio thread isn't going to happen, do we happen to have a "What is a Moderator" thread? I mean.. we stress this is a kids forum.. and even I didn't know what some of the higher staff of H staff actually do. Maybe not as its own thread, but in the FAQ we can just give a little description of what a mod is there for vs. what higher staff is there for and what their responsibilities generally are?
Either that or it could be put in the staff bio thread on the top as an add-on. :3 Just a thought about it to help give the members more insight if you wanted.
http://www.pokecommunity.com/faq.php...#faq_positions?
Quote:
Also.. not sure about this, but are there going to be official blog rules posted? Or am I just blind and they are here already? >_> I hope posting this here is okay anyways.
Quote:
Blogs

Your blog is like your online diary, for all members to see (you're free to fine-tune your privacy options, however). You're allowed to blog about anything, whether it's about the new Pokémon game you've just bought, commentary on something that's happened in the news, your PokéCommunity life, or anything else. Blogs are available to Tier 2 Community Supporters and staff members, as well as members who have accumulated 5000 posts or more. The PokéCommunity forum-wide rules apply to both blog entries and comments.

Try to keep your comments positive.
Please keep unnecessarily negative, rude, or meaningless comments to yourself and off the blogs.

Avoid posting more than one blog entry in the same day.
So that others don't have to filter through several meaningless blog entries from the same person, try to post only one entry within the span of a day. If you're the most recent blogger, you should simply add more to your blog post rather than create a new entry.

Word and character limits don't apply.
You should try and ensure that you have meaningful blog posts or comments, but note that we won't be enforcing the four word rule or 25-character limits in blogs.

Do not give out any personal information.
Giving out information such as your full name, your address or telephone number can be very dangerous online. Be cautious when sharing information.

Old April 5th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143

Ooh thanks for that Pedro! I really am blind LOL!

Maybe the rules should be updated to include like.. no snarky blogs about members? I remember a few of them posted over the last few months and them getting deleted so it might be good idea to update it in the rules?
Old April 5th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Ausaudriel
Chief Mechanic

Nature: Gentle
We're going to do the staff bio/introduction thread. 8) We've just got some other stuff going on first.
Old April 5th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Echidna
Community Supporter

Quote:

Maybe the rules should be updated to include like.. no snarky blogs about members? I remember a few of them posted over the last few months and them getting deleted so it might be good idea to update it in the rules?
I remember one a long time ago that pissed me off really. Some guy took a screenshot of something he deemed 'stupid' and apparently worthy of public humiliation, posted it and commented on it and It wasn't even deleted either u_u

And don't worry about it xD

Old April 5th, 2013, 12:00 PM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:

The forumwide rules apply to blogs (I guess that line could be bolded but since every aspect of PC usually contains the line "all PC rules apply here", it never really seemed important). Anything mean/rude to members would fall under the "Respect all members" rule so I don't think it needs to be repeated so specifically under blogs.

Though I guess changing the "keep your comments positive" rule to encompass both blog entries and comments wouldn't really hurt. I don't really like the wording on that one because I don't think it gets the essence of what the rule means, which is not to be malicious in any way. (Because you can still have a comment that's technically negative but still polite and constructive that would be within the rules.)

previously known as lightning.
tumblrtwitter

Old April 14th, 2013, 01:33 AM
marz
ô.o
Community Supporter

Good job reforming the off-topic forum.
Old April 15th, 2013, 04:51 AM
Hoenn
➜is not the last B E A C O N

Send a message via Skype™ to Hoenn
Well honestly I think it's a real hard time for you mods out there especially since you have to be on guard all the time. I mean like, you'll always have to deal with problems with off-boarders and stuff and I respect our staff for such wonderful handling of the community. Nothing better can be done to improve stuff around here, and all the mods are constantly friendly (I'm just quoting what's everyone's opinion).

So, I'll say almost all of the staff people quite frankly intimidate me. And a lot, too. I think other people would feel that way too no matter how friendly/helpful you guys are. Maybe because I don't pick up much conversations or something, but it scares you off to see the Staff's badge below your name. In fact, I'm gonna be real scared right now posting this here.

Of course, I really think that the staff get very active around here, and one thing I really like is that one second and BOOM. There's a mod switch. No warning, no rumors, nothing. Information never leaks out until it's made public. That's pretty tight and I think that's way too cool.

Fortunately, it seems ALWAYS that the right person for the job has the specified position. That way you guys seem to get the people's interest without consulting them.

I think the best stuff I like is all the group activities and things, and this gives loads of opportunities for people to participate and feel part of this community.

I'd like to see more of these kinds of activities around here, tho.

And I think we could expand the non-Pokémon forums more, even though this is a very Pokémon based community, it seems there are loads of things we could talk about to boot.

Previously known as Elaitenstile 
Old April 15th, 2013, 06:22 AM
Ben.
Orange I s l a n d s~
Community Supporter Tier 2

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ben.
Some feedback on all the staff in general
You should really inform the community on happening such as promotion/demotion/LoA. It seems at the minute the only information on this is for promotions is a little thread in the celebrations with huge text. Demotions there is really nothing, and LoA's are only known on vm's by talking to the person with a vm saying "err ma gerr ur not a mod :O" I honestly think it'd be so much nicer to be told about some being promoted and why. I've seen people get promoted with no other due reason than their post count.* Obviously LoA may be more personal and the person may not want to share why, which is perfect understandable. Maybe just interactive with the community, even a thread of these things.
*You can't tell me I'm wrong because no one has told the community any different.

Last edited by Mr Cat Dog; April 15th, 2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old April 15th, 2013, 07:21 AM
Ivysaur
The Seed Pokémon

Send a message via Skype™ to Ivysaur
I can accept adding promotions/demotions in the update thread -in fact, when we discussed what should go there we talked about this very point and in the end we didn't go ahead because there was kind of a split on the staff, although we can certainly go ahead if there is a general member support for ir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben. View Post
I honestly think it'd be so much nicer to be told about some being promoted and why. I've seen people get promoted with no other due reason than their post count.
Oh, but the general rule of thumb IS written in the FAQ:

Quote:
Moderators are chosen for their assets to the forum. If you would like to be a potential candidate, be sure to be kind, helpful, and make smart, quality posts. Don't spam and respect all those around you. When a moderator is needed in one of the areas you are constantly active in, you may be asked.
The Modding forum is full of threads with "X guy reports a lot and is very active in Y and writes a lot of thoughtful TL,DR's so let's promote them". Really. We generally watch all forums (or ask the mods who are supposed to), check for regular members who stand out and then discuss them. If a majority of us are satisfied, we go ahead. Is "having a lot of postcount" a valid reason? Not by itself, but it certainly shows activity and interest, which are two things we do value. Then again, we have modded people with less than 600 posts in two years, so postcount is never a valid reason alone.

Also I'd really like to hear names- I know it's easier to smear people when you can hide in the "well you know who I'm talking about" vagueness, but I certainly would like to know who is/are those people you think were unfairly modded, so we can defend our choices.

Quote:
You can't tell me I'm wrong because no one has told the community any different.
That's called argumentum ad ignorantiam and is considered a logical fallacy. The fact that you don't know the reasons why someone was chosen does not imply that your opinions about it must be necessarily true.

Mario | A mí nadie me dijo de vos

Last edited by Ivysaur; April 15th, 2013 at 07:31 AM.
Old April 15th, 2013, 07:54 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
About adding moderator activity status updates to the "Small Changes & Updates" thread, I always thought that was a good idea to do. It's an easy and simple way of keeping members of the community informed about a moderator's status. It also cuts down on the numerous members going to VM or PM said moderator on whether they resigned or if they're just taking a break. It's also a good way in that if a moderator is on a LoA or DLoA, then members at least know to either contact the second mod of the forum (if there is one) or report to a higher staff member for the time being. Honestly, this sort of thing doesn't happen excessively here, so it wouldn't be like the thread would have to be constantly updated either.

There would also be no need to go into specific detail either should the moderator not wish to share why. For example, a simple update such as "Aerilyn is currently on a two week Demotion Leave of Absense" would suffice in my opinion.

PS. Aerilyn is not on a two week DLoA nor plans to be on one anytime soon.
Old April 15th, 2013, 08:14 AM
Arago
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I am okay with updating members when promotions are done. I'm not so sure we need to go into the why, because the why seems fairly obvious to me. They're the best person for the job.

I'm slightly hesitant to post DLoAs because demotions are done as well. Demotions are pretty sensitive things sometimes. To have the entire community knowing that you were demoted can be slightly embarrassing for some, and if we decide to post DLoAs, if someone is suddenly not a staff member anymore, then its safe to assume that they were removed by the higher ups of their rank.

LoAs I don't feel are necessary to post, because when you're on an LoA, you're still expected to do as much as you can when you're on.
Old April 15th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchisou Yutohru View Post
if we decide to post DLoAs, if someone is suddenly not a staff member anymore, then its safe to assume that they were removed by the higher ups of their rank.
I'm not sure what you mean here. If an update was made commenting on a moderator taking a DLoA, I don't see why anyone would assume that staff member would have been fired or removed from staff from a higher up permanently.

In the case of demotions, I was thinking something vague and more along the lines of "_____ is no longer a part of the Community Staff." This doesn't imply that they were fired and it doesn't imply that they resigned. It means what it says, they are no longer a part of the staff team.

If members want to know more than that, then they're always free to ask the person in question should that person want to explain in further detail.

As for Leave of Absences, I agree, I don't think that needs to be included in there. Those occur more often than DLoAs, resignations, and demotions and are more prone to changing at times, whether it be longer or shorter.

I just think it's a beneficial act of keeping the community aware of a moderator's current status from time to time.
Old April 15th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Axton
hear me roar

I don't have time for a huge reply right now but I'll just quickly post to say that I like the idea of promotions in there and wondered why they didn't get included before, but I don't want LoAs, DLoAs or demotions since people might not want widespread attention drawn to those things. If I had to leave for unfortunate reasons, for example, the last thing I'd want is an announcement which'd prompt people to flood me with "omg why u no staff any more?!?!?!" more than they already do. Most people include a small note on their profile, in their sig, or as a forum post to show that they're away for anyone who cares anyway.
Old April 15th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Jak
baby smod

Nature: Timid
I agree with adding promotions, however a demotion is more like negative attention, unless the mod in question wants people to know. But usually when they do, they post a blog about it or something to let people know why they left/were fired. And if they don't want people to know, it shouldn't be spread out to the world. But promotions is a very important thing that I think should be added. After all, it's nice to know who to go to on the forums, especially when it's someone being modded in a section that was previously modless.

edit: LoAs I don't think need to be listed, but DLoAs should be up to the discretion of the staff member taking them as to whether or not they want everyone to know. That's just imo.

i'm gonna fly like a bird from the night

Last edited by Jak; April 15th, 2013 at 08:42 AM.
Old April 15th, 2013, 08:40 AM
Oryx
Moon Prism POWER
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerilyn View Post
I'm not sure what you mean here. If an update was made commenting on a moderator taking a DLoA, I don't see why anyone would assume that staff member would have been fired or removed from staff from a higher up permanently.
I think his point was that if you include DLoAs in the updates thread, then if you see someone is not a mod anymore and there is no update in the DLoA thread, you can draw the conclusion that they're no longer on the staff team without having a post spelling it out for the possible embarrassment of said staff member.

I would be okay with a post that was ambiguous enough to not give details on if it was a forced demotion or a resignation, but I could understand why some people may not like seeing that after making their decision/getting demoted. I think having it note DLoAs and letting members draw the obvious conclusion from that would be a nice compromise.
Old April 15th, 2013, 11:34 AM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Throughout the many years that I've seen people come and go from the PC staff, 9 times out of 10, if they leave, they choose to keep that reason private. Regardless of whether or not it's a DloA, LoA, or anything like that, I personally feel that it's not really our business to know why that specific mod is on a DloA, LoA, or anything like that. Of course, I can completely understand the member's point of view in that yes, it can be confusing to tell whether or not a mod has resigned, or took a DloA, or anything like that, because it all looks the same: They don't have a bold name nor a userbar, so the lingering question is this: what happened to them?

But at the same time, is that really a question that should be asked in public? I mean, I can understand if you're a friend, and if you ask them (albeit, privately), then that's something different, but I agree with the staff that have posted that it would draw unwarranted attention. If the mod wishes to share the reasons behind their DloA/LoA, then that's their business, but by no reason should any reason be obligatory by any means.

So it's a very iffy situation. I mean, ultimately, it comes down to this question: What are the members going to do with that information? We all know the reason why the h-staff needs to know of course: They need to keep track of moderator activity, to keep track of who's active and who isn't, and things of that nature, but what are the members going to do with that information, exactly? I feel like it's more like a kind of thing that members need to know to satisfy curiosity more than anything else, but at the same time, if you look at the opposite side, sometimes it's not always curiosity and more like genuine concern. But again, it's really up the mod in question whether or not they would share those details.

As far as promotions/demotions go, I really feel like my sediments reflect Shivi's exactly. No one needs to know why a mod is demoted, and it can be really embarrassing if the community knew, so why not ambiguously word it? That way, the members would know that x staff member isn't on staff anymore. Sure, the question would still come (and lets be honest, I don't really feel that there's a true way to stop that. There's going to come no matter what, really), but that would reflect back to what I said about the mod having the responsibility on whether or not they would share those details.

My two cents. ^^; Hope it all made sense.

Last edited by Zorua; April 15th, 2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old April 15th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Yusshin
♪ Yggdrasil ♪

I'd love to hear about promotions, but demotions are a bit more of a private thing. I'd not want to know why, but I'd also like to see an ambiguous notice about it that doesn't imply having been fired or having left by self-initiative.

Someone else posted a nice phrase for that i.e. [Username] is no longer part of PC's Staff, but their time in service is fully appreciated and recognized.

Kinda adds a positive thing to a negative while keeping people informed of it all.

In regards to this thread itself,

TwilightBlade is an old acquaintance of mine that I've tried to recently get in touch with. She introduced me to breeding and gave me an Energy Ball Vulpix in HGSS (if I recall correctly). She's fun, knowledgeable and definitely the go-to sMod for me. I think in '10 she was just a bitty Mod. I'm glad you got this promotion, whenever that happened during my hiatus lol

Forever is awesome. So attentive, active, funny and approachable. I've known her for three years (although, we haven't talked in two or so formally), but she's still the same bean she's always been. Really, a great choice on the staff's part.

BinaryPeaches is MIA. I never see her anymore. Where did you go Tara? You were everywhere in '10! Your tentacle reach knew no bounds; yet, nowadays, I've maybe seen you post a handful of times. More activity is needed on your part. As a person, though, you're fantastic!

I don't really know the other staff members enough to be able to comment on their contributions, activity, etc. There are certain staffies that have left since '10 that I'm happy are gone, though. The current staff appears well-constructed and functional, which is always good.

:)

Polaret | Fourette | Ecuret | Axew | Zorua | Nanette [Shiny]
"My scar makes me sassy, child!"
The Big Bang Theory Fan Club - Click To Join!
The French Club

Last edited by Yusshin; April 15th, 2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old April 15th, 2013, 02:11 PM
Melody
Singing Nature's Melody
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Melody
Personally I don't believe there's any harm in denoting when someone takes a DLoA. A permanent demotion/resignation should probably be silent, for it's that member's business to choose when or if they tell anyone who asks.

I don't believe there's any harm in noting the DLoA status simply; nobody is forcing anybody to ask reasons, and it doesn't matter if 5000 people do want to know the reason, they don't have to get one. To want to refuse to do something that would increase overall transparency seems just a tad strange and suspicious if you want to be paranoid about it.

I see no reason to continue a policy that is probably doing more harm than good in the long run, because it makes members uneasy.

"It loves to bask in the sunlight. It uses the leaf on its head to seek out warm places."
Chikorita

Old April 15th, 2013, 04:38 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
I'm fine with promotions being updated/mentioned publically (and always have), and tbh would probably prefer a note about demotions as well. Mods get asked regardless, and there's no need for a reason to be stated with it. I suppose if a mod doesn't want it to be mentioned in the thread that can be allowed too so it'd be up to them on if they want mention... but then I'd rather all one way or the other in the end with demotion notices.

Sheep in the Big City: General Specific
Old April 15th, 2013, 05:11 PM
Logiedan
highly-functioning sociopath

I'm just going to suggest the obvious and what everyone has been trying to say about demotes/promotes is to have a closed thread updated by administrators whenever possible about moderators coming or going. It can be brief and requires no explanation because that's more on a personal level and can be discussed if the demoted/retired mod chooses to discuss about between members and only between members off/on-site.

I would agree what bobandbill said that moderators would get spammed through VMs about how they got demoted, but I just think on a more official level that the thread would be a good timeline that feeds consistent updates and all of the publication of reasons is up to the moderator. I don't think it would be a good idea to have it public though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by post of Staff Update thread
X , moderator of [forum], is no longer part of staff
Y , has joined staff and is now a moderator of [forum]

X , previous moderator of [forum] has been promoted to [blah]
It doesn't have to be wordy, and it's subtle enough to have information undisclosed on how the staff member has left office.

dloa/loa should be kept private at all times imo
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links