The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Official Forums > Community Feedback and Support

Notices

Community Feedback and Support This is the place for your concerns, praises or help relating to the PokéCommunity. Unsure of how to post a thread (though you should find out pretty quickly)? How do you get a blog? Maybe you don’t like a certain feature. Make a thread here and get responses from your fellow members and staff.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 23rd, 2013, 07:45 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexial357 View Post
Maybe this can also speak to some of the general fear of staff/hstaff -- at least those members who aren't necessarily intimidated because of the authority end of it, but are still wary. So does anyone feel that staff basically looks like a big clique? Or feel like we're too involved in a "staff group" as opposed to the community?
Well, you guys are normal people, but you look different so…

Okay, let me use this example. Undercover police! You know how sometimes they go and "act like normal bros" and then arrest people when they slip up? That's basically what we feel like here. You're like "come on! Treat us like friends!" but most of us (me included) feel like we tell you something, and then you come busting in and like "STOP! YOU'RE UNDER ARREST!" or the Internet equivalent (or?).

Yeah, that wasn't a very good example, but my point is just that we feel like you all have something…to hide. However, if I got to know them as a member beforehand, I feel more comfortable with them.

My personal example is Razor Leaf. But Razor Leaf was a mod before I ever saw him. Why do I still get to feel like a friend? What was the difference? He VMed me first…he was my first impression of the forum…that's what's so different about him.

(Now, I'm not saying he's like the god of new member interactions, but that's the only example I could think of…:p)

Old April 23rd, 2013, 07:54 PM
Jak
baby smod

Nature: Timid
Quote:
Okay, let me use this example. Undercover police! You know how sometimes they go and "act like normal bros" and then arrest people when they slip up? That's basically what we feel like here. You're like "come on! Treat us like friends!" but most of us (me included) feel like we tell you something, and then you come busting in and like "STOP! YOU'RE UNDER ARREST!" or the Internet equivalent (or?).
I wouldn't think of us as under cover cops, though. Because you know we're on staff. It's not something that's a secret, like those cop cars that look like everyday cars.

Think of it this way...say you're friends with a cop and they catch you shoplifting. They're bound by their duty to arrest you, even though you're their friend. It's their job. Of course, actual law breaking is more of a serious offense than rule breaking on a forum, but I think you get what I mean. If you break a rule, especially a serious one, and you're a friend of the staff member that saw it, they still need to give you the proper punishment. Believe me, we hate to infract friends or delete their posts because, well, we're friends. But what needs to be done must be done.

I hope that all made sense. >.<

i'm gonna fly like a bird from the night
Old April 23rd, 2013, 08:11 PM
Yusshin
♪ Yggdrasil ♪

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
Believe me, we hate to infract friends or delete their posts because, well, we're friends.
We should all be friends! And then this wouldn't be an issue, because everyone has the same personal "status" for staffies and thus it becomes impersonal.

Yay!

But in all seriousness, I've not had issues with staff members being in a "clique" or, for lack of a better term, being in a kind of union where they "protect their own" and don't socialize with people outside of their user group. The majority of moderators I see are very open and friendly while remaining mature and true to their job requirements. I most certainly do not see them as prowling Krookodiles waiting for a juicy Deerling to come prancing along unwarily, only to lunge themselves on their prey, grab hold of their neck and drag them down into the deepest part of the swamp.

Yay for Pokemon metaphors.

Polaret | Fourette | Ecuret | Axew | Zorua | Nanette [Shiny]
"My scar makes me sassy, child!"
The Big Bang Theory Fan Club - Click To Join!
The French Club
Old April 23rd, 2013, 08:16 PM
tabor62
PONPONPON
Community Supporter

To be honest, until I was modded recently, I was a little intimidated by all staff ('cept Trade ones and Cirno ). Even though I knew that you were all normal people, just with more responsibility and power, it scared me a little haha. Though now that've I actually talked to and gotten know some of you, it lifted the fear from my mind (minus admins, they still intimidate me a tiny bit cuz of their godmode powers). I think the key to bridging the gap and lifting that fear from others is to reach out to members more often so that they get the feel of how you really are and get to know you.

Of course I'll still infract you or warn you, even if you're a close friend of mine.

Friend Codes
Y

Trade Reviews
Click Here

Ever wonder what goes through my head as I breed Pokemon? Want to see all the steps and pains I take to provide Pokemon for all of you? Well clicky clicky [here].
Old April 24th, 2013, 02:16 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
I wouldn't think of us as under cover cops, though. Because you know we're on staff. It's not something that's a secret, like those cop cars that look like everyday cars.

Think of it this way...say you're friends with a cop and they catch you shoplifting. They're bound by their duty to arrest you, even though you're their friend. It's their job. Of course, actual law breaking is more of a serious offense than rule breaking on a forum, but I think you get what I mean. If you break a rule, especially a serious one, and you're a friend of the staff member that saw it, they still need to give you the proper punishment. Believe me, we hate to infract friends or delete their posts because, well, we're friends. But what needs to be done must be done.

I hope that all made sense. >.<
Well, I said that I couldn't come up with a better example, but it just feels like you got something to hide and we're not falling for it. If you can "break the ice", we'll see what you have to "hide", and will feel more comfortable around you guys.

Old April 24th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Antemortem

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Antemortem
We have... something to hide? I don't understand.

Honestly, what makes us any different from a regular member other than the fact our usernames are colored and we have a badge underneath our name? This rift that seems to separate us from you guys - and I use 'you guys' loosely because even that is uncomfortable for me to say - is unnerving because I don't understand it. I've personally never felt segregated from any staff member, as a member, on any forum I've ever been on and this feeling of isolation is completely new to me. I'm sure you guys have tried to explain it off-hand as a result of something else said in the history of this thread's seven pages, but really I'm digging for a reply specifically to this.

I'm genuinely confused. s:

kawaii in the sheets
Old April 24th, 2013, 04:24 PM
Fairy
pixie ・【ピクシー】

I have a question.

Do you guys feel the same way about ex staff? Like you need to be on your best behavior around them too?

Old April 24th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Zorua
Adventurous One.
Community Supporter

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
I have a question.

Do you guys feel the same way about ex staff? Like you need to be on your best behavior around them too?
Honestly, I never really felt that any ex-staff have really...segregated themselves from the community any more than staff would. o.o There's myself and Erica (although I can't speak for her) that post around just like any other member would, really. So I wouldn't really understand if people were to act different around us just because of the positions we've held in the past.
Old April 25th, 2013, 07:50 AM
tigerBLADE
1000://PowHammers

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
I have a question.

Hm... to answer this question, I guess I'll use myself as an example; I mean, even as an ex-mod, at the end of the day, I'm just an ordinary guy, you know? I would sit and chat with people... just like any other person would, so, there really isn't any need for 'proper formalities', and, it's really not necessary to treat me differently. Heck, half the time, I forget who's an ex-staff around here. @_@ I feel the same way about staff members too; even with their powers and general responsibilities, at the end of the day, they're just... people like myself and any other person here. I don't think there's any thing secretive about it. @_@;

*formerly known as Miss Doronjo* NES DiscussionOBJECTION!30 Days of Gaming
Old April 29th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Sir Mister
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Quirky
Saw this thread, and wanted to give props to Tabor62, he's gone out of his way to make me feel welcome and to make the experience of joining a new forum (always delicate, but doubly so in one as structured as this one- not saying structure is a bad thing! Just that it makes you feel like you're walking on eggshells sometimes if like me you actively seek to avoid messing up) as painless and enjoyable as possible. As I feel it is part of the role of a moderator to encourage activity and increase the presence of their "home turf" (doing so is nothing but beneficial to the overall health of the forum), and I am Much more likely to do a great deal more in the trade forum than initially intended due in no small part to his demeanor and actions, it is worth giving the feedback that he is doing an awesome job, especially from my personal standpoint as a newcomer.

Old April 30th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kura
Actually, whilst in the Member Interaction Center thread, I realized we had brought up the moderator bio thread nearly at the same time (if not before that.)

Is anything actually happening with that thread?

Honestly.... I would be a bit peeved if the MIC was put through before this.. because Pokecommunity NEEDS the mod bio thread for reasons said in the feedback thread (make mods less intimidating and approachable.) Pokecommunity doesn't NEED a AMA section. While you can refute that PC doesn't REALLY need either, I think it would benefit more from the former than the latter.. and I will be really disappointed if time and effort got put into the MIC first.

I guess it just feels like, since it was something a staff member brought up themselves, first.. it makes me as a member feel like my opinion isn't as important.. (or isn't really on the priority list) and mods just wanna see what they want to see for themselves.

Concerns have been addressed, but there was no workaround even considered. Is it something that staff want to do regardless of the suggestions? Then why even bring it to the suggestions section if we're not going to be able to have a say anyways.. and if you're just going to go through with it anyways? Keep it in the staff forum then.
Old May 1st, 2013, 08:25 AM
Arago
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
I just posted it for the staff to discuss.

Does anyone have any other feedback?
Old May 1st, 2013, 10:17 AM
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kura
Awesome, thank you! Sorry if I sound like I overreacted.. I've been a bit moodswingy lately since I felt like no one was even listening, so I am not sure how I come across sometimes, :c but no hard feelings!
Old May 2nd, 2013, 06:53 PM
Antemortem

Yeah, don't worry - we're getting rolling with the staff bios and trust me, it's coming faster than you might expect.

kawaii in the sheets
Old May 2nd, 2013, 07:03 PM
Dakota
ignore the whisper
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Dakota
^What Ante said! Like, I'm already working on my autobiography. Free copies for everyone on PC. Then again, why you'd want to learn about me is beyond my comprehension.

Seriously though, the staff bio thread is an ingenious idea, that I'm rather shocked wasn't implemented earlier.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 04:45 PM
Gleam Noiyam
Pop Goes the Gleamsel.
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via AIM to Gleam Noiyam Send a message via Skype™ to Gleam Noiyam
I'm sorry, I have to post my feedback. Sorry if it isn't good enough or not cut out or whatever. I've been meaning to post this for a few weeks, but I wanted to hide and not post it.

Okay, so, I feel all the staff do a fine job. They stay within the second they moderate, they do a good job moderating their sections and whatnot and I know the moderators and staff do whatever they can to help their sections stay afloat. I can tell that the staff are determined, and I can tell they love what they do, as long as we have that we can be proud of our moderators and staff here.

What I'm worried about is the amount of promotions go on around here. It seems we gain a new moderator every single month. That always worries me because this forum is big and a lot of promotions are really confusing. Sometimes bulk promotions happen here, that's not bad, but from what I think I always think that the promotions here are very random. Like, out of nowhere. I don't understand that.

But other than that I think the staff do a pretty good job here. You all work together to make this place run properly and you're all out there and that's awesome! Keep it up!

And I'm sorry if my feedback sucks.
Sheep and I fangirl about cute stuff too much. Current theme. Current obsessions.

Old May 3rd, 2013, 05:12 PM
Axton
hear me roar

Personally, I think it's a good thing that the staff's kept fresh with a lot of promotions. Nothing helps a forum out like a diverse staff team! And really it's very, very rare that someone's promoted with no good reason behind it. Usually it's that a section's unmodded, has inactive mods as it is, or has had a big activity jump. Given that more than half the hstaff have to agree with a promotion for it to go ahead, you can rest assured that we don't just promote people on a whim. d:

Why do you feel it's a bad thing that we have regular promotions?
Old May 3rd, 2013, 05:36 PM
donavannj
The Melody Pokémon

I think that having promotions on a regular basis is a natural thing for a larger forum. PC happens to be a larger forum, so its only natural to have promotions on a regular basis. For most staff members, PC is a just a hobby we're quite interested in!
Old May 3rd, 2013, 05:38 PM
Oryx
Moon Prism POWER
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuki's Sword View Post
I'm sorry, I have to post my feedback. Sorry if it isn't good enough or not cut out or whatever. I've been meaning to post this for a few weeks, but I wanted to hide and not post it.

Okay, so, I feel all the staff do a fine job. They stay within the second they moderate, they do a good job moderating their sections and whatnot and I know the moderators and staff do whatever they can to help their sections stay afloat. I can tell that the staff are determined, and I can tell they love what they do, as long as we have that we can be proud of our moderators and staff here.

What I'm worried about is the amount of promotions go on around here. It seems we gain a new moderator every single month. That always worries me because this forum is big and a lot of promotions are really confusing. Sometimes bulk promotions happen here, that's not bad, but from what I think I always think that the promotions here are very random. Like, out of nowhere. I don't understand that.

But other than that I think the staff do a pretty good job here. You all work together to make this place run properly and you're all out there and that's awesome! Keep it up!

And I'm sorry if my feedback sucks.
We want you to post feedback, no need to be so hesitant :) Are you suggesting that we just allow sections to go modless for longer, or have certain days where promotions happen, or...? Most of the people that go from being a mod to not being a mod are people that resigned, not were fired, so it's kind of hard to be regular with it, haha.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 05:48 PM
Antemortem

There are a lot of staff, and thus there's bound to be people that quit, retire, or are promoted, which leads to their section having to be covered. These are not always at uniform times, of course, because people don't get tend to together and talk about when they plan to quit so it's more convenient to get replacements all at once, haha! As these happen, they need to be covered accordingly. Though, do you think big promotions are just more confusing, or?

kawaii in the sheets
Old May 4th, 2013, 07:37 AM
Gleam Noiyam
Pop Goes the Gleamsel.
Community Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Gleam Noiyam Send a message via Skype™ to Gleam Noiyam
Well, uh, yeah. Big promotions are the most confusing thing ever, even on a big forum. Let's say you promote ten people. I don't know if I'm allowed to speak for the whole forum as a whole, but I fear that people won't be able to keep track of those ten new staff. But regular promotions sometimes just make no sense to me unless they are most certainly needed, it's not a bad thing at all in any way!

If you ask me, when a section goes modless the staff should wait a few months to decide who should moderate the section because I'm pretty sure that there would be a lot of candidates, right? But not for too long, like six months is too much. I guess the less active forums go moddless for longer, or should get a new three months afterwords. Right away in my eyes is just too fast. For more active sections a month would do I guess. I mean, for a little while the Super Moderators could try to keep a modless section in order until a new moderator candidate is picked... a month for active (or two weeks) or maybe three months for not so active, but I don't know.
Sheep and I fangirl about cute stuff too much. Current theme. Current obsessions.

Old May 4th, 2013, 07:44 AM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuki's Sword View Post
Well, uh, yeah. Big promotions are the most confusing thing ever, even on a big forum. Let's say you promote ten people. I don't know if I'm allowed to speak for the whole forum as a whole, but I fear that people won't be able to keep track of those ten new staff. But regular promotions sometimes just make no sense to me unless they are most certainly needed, it's not a bad thing at all in any way!

If you ask me, when a section goes modless the staff should wait a few months to decide who should moderate the section because I'm pretty sure that there would be a lot of candidates, right? But not for too long, like six months is too much. I guess the less active forums go moddless for longer, or should get a new three months afterwords. Right away in my eyes is just too fast. For more active sections a month would do I guess. I mean, for a little while the Super Moderators could try to keep a modless section in order until a new moderator candidate is picked... a month for active (or two weeks) or maybe three months for not so active, but I don't know.
yeahhhhh I think that's what they do…

Old May 4th, 2013, 07:46 AM
Antemortem

So what you're saying is that bulk promotions are alright unless it's an enormous number, but promotions right after the mod of a section is no more can also be confusing? I was just curious to pull out the meat of what you were saying. =] Also, General Entertainment went quite a long time without a moderator after Mr Cat Dog was promoted to super moderator! Captain Fabio was promoted from Video Games last year and it also still has no moderator, so there's definitely no surplus of 'promoting too soon!'

kawaii in the sheets
Old May 4th, 2013, 07:47 AM
derozio
not an anime connoisseur
Community Supporter

Well, they do give it a lot of time and thought. VG has been modless for a while now. Maybe even more than 6 months. So I'd say that they only promote people when they're absolutely sure that the candidate they're going to appoint can handle the task.

Why is promoting someone right away a problem, anyway? I mean, they obviously do think it through before going ahead with the decision so giving it a 'few months'...idk. Why let a section be modless for 4-6 months if there are some really good candidates who're easily capable of handling the section already available? I don't really get your point. :(

edit; drat, you beat me to the VG thing, Dave! :<
Old May 4th, 2013, 08:07 AM
Sheep
MUFFINS ya pls

I understand where you're coming from, but it does depend on the section. Some places can go modless for months while the higher staff search for the best candidate while others, like The Welcome Lounge, probably do need a moderator right away (especially when the Adoption Center was still open). A lot of factors come into play here, but choosing a new moderator for a board that might need it should, in my opinion, take priority over the fact that we might "overpromote". I guess something like a private message to a candidate saying they've been chosen but won't be modded for a certain period of time would work, but I fear in cases like that things would get confusing since said candidate might lose interest/disappear when it's time for them to be modded or new potential candidates might pop up.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links