The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Official Forums > Community Feedback and Support
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Community Feedback and Support This is the place for your concerns, praises or help relating to the PokéCommunity. Unsure of how to post a thread (though you should find out pretty quickly)? How do you get a blog? Maybe you don’t like a certain feature. Make a thread here and get responses from your fellow members and staff.


Reply
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #151    
Old May 4th, 2013, 08:24 AM
Arago's Avatar
Arago
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Old Jersey
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Lax
In most sections, there really aren't that many candidates. More often than not, there's a clear choice that we discuss. Sometimes there's two or three candidates, but rarely ever more.

But forums need a leader and I would rather not wait. Higher staff watch over modless forums but not in the same way that a dedicated moderator would.
Reply With Quote
  #152    
Old May 4th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Team Fail's Avatar
Team Fail
A Little Bit Of Sparkle
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antemortem View Post
Captain Fabio was promoted from Video Games last year and it also still has no moderator, so there's definitely no surplus of 'promoting too soon!'
It's definitely been some time since a blue name has been appointed to that section, yeah, but I think the H-Staff have been considering someone there for a while now.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchisou Yutohru
But forums need a leader and I would rather not wait. Higher staff watch over modless forums but not in the same way that a dedicated moderator would.
I can definitely see where you're coming from there, mostly because Higher Staff have other boards/reports/etc to tend to, whereas a dedicated moderator has only that forum as their baby.
__________________

Platinum Supporter Team Fail




"It is said that Charizard's fire burns hotter if it has experienced harsh battles."



Charizard

Reply With Quote
  #153    
Old May 4th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Shiny Celebi
Donator Tier 3
Community Supporter Tier 3
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Internet
Ive notcied promitions do happen fairly often but I dont see it as a problem. If there are candidates that are good for a forum that needs help, why not?
__________________
BMGf Ever Grande City
Reply With Quote
  #154    
Old May 4th, 2013, 08:48 AM
Forever's Avatar
Forever
let it go
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: http://goo.my/server
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Also we have less staff than other big Pokemon forums, so it's a lot worse on other places. We actually do have a small staff overall so it's easier to get to know all of us imo.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #155    
Old May 4th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Nathan's Avatar
Nathan
too lazy
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Earth
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Nature: Timid
The highest number of mods in a section is 3 so it's good imo. Also there has been more promotions lately but I think it's due to some retirement and forum changes, isn't it?
__________________

nathan @ vm | pm | FF.net | pairs | bishie
Reply With Quote
  #156    
Old May 4th, 2013, 09:23 AM
Arago's Avatar
Arago
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Old Jersey
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Lax
I think it's really important to promote someone as soon as possible, assuming they're the right person. A forum that goes modless for too long loses activity, drive, and (most importantly) direction. A forum that loses those things are much harder to build from after those things are lost, and that responsibility will fall on the new moderator. A great example of that is Video Games. Will was promoted almost a year ago, and his responsibilities on the forum shifted to responsibilities of a higher staff member, which are a lot different than the responsibilities of a moderator. Each forum is it's own sub-community, with its own regulars and ways about communicating and interacting with eachother because of the stark difference in the forum-goers. The way people post in Forum Games is much different than the way people post in Chit Chat & Polls, and the people who post in Chit Chat & Polls post much differently than the people who post in Discussions & Debates. In each of those forums, they have their own respective leaders, and because of that, they have their own specific sub-communities. The perfect example of this is what Sydian has done to the Challenges forum. I think that forum has the greatest sense of together-ness and community on the whole forum.

If it were up to me, a new moderator (assuming there is a candidate available who we feel comfortable promoting) would be promoted right before we remove the current moderator who resigns or is forcibly removed from their position.
Reply With Quote
  #157    
Old May 4th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Maruno's Avatar
Maruno
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: England
If anyone has trouble keeping track of staff, or wants to see who there is, there's the Forum Leaders page which lists us all. It's nice to have, even if I only found out about it the other day.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #158    
Old May 4th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Axton's Avatar
Axton
hear me roar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Manchester
Gender: Male
Also adding onto what Maruno said, we've started posting staff changes in the updates thread in Announcements now. So it should be much easier to keep track of who gets modded and promoted!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #159    
Old May 6th, 2013, 02:00 AM
Kura's Avatar
Kura
vimeo.com/67501143
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Horsham, UK (orig. Toronto, Canada)
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Nature: Serious
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kura
I don't know if my opinion counts for anything here, but I don'tfeel someone should haplassly be modded just so the section could have a mod, nor should someone be modded right away because either the excitement is there at first and suddenly dies/ life things come up.. or it's like they're TRYING for mod. A good example of this is Pave Low.. now not to rain on him.. he's a good guy! Was SUUUPER active in VG, but not only that, he knew what VG needed, and he wasn't there just making discussion, he was there trying to promote events and make a change too. Then life took a hold of him and I hardly have seen him anymore for the past few months. Snap, just like that.. and I think although he has a bit more time now.. it wasn't like when he first came back here which is a shame! Going back to members being able tohost events and mods encouraging them to do so, if they felt they had more freedom to make suggestions (which is happening now, thankfully, thanks to threads like this..) then we can see who really wants to make a section thrive and who is really going to do well as a moderator in that section- not because we need someone to make or close threads- but someone who is TRULY passionate about it. If it takes a little longer to wait around for then.. then..I rather wait.
Your argument isn't really valid because Other Tabletop Games had a mod but the section still died on us. So did the anime forum that got merged into G E. Does G.E even have a mod or does mr.catdog mostly oversee it?

So no for modding someone in VG just for the sake of modding. Yes there are a few regulars there but there needs to be some drive, too. Especially since I remember how Captain Fabio was so adamant when he was a regular mod.. we need someone who has that same passion.

I tl;dr digress...
Asfor the announcement thing being added... COOOLL! Ithink it is a nice addition and it is great to see updates! Iam happy to see this added.


edit:if we were gonna mod someone based on activity alone.. then I probably might even be modded because Other Chat and Polls have been my home for ages.. but there are too many factors to think about, like how I would handle a situation. Being active or even wanting to see change isn't the only thing to think about. Most people would think I would be to brash or harsh- which is probably right because I can throw a fit at times/ want things to go my way. And whilst that behaviour would probably be dimmed down if I ever was a mod due to professionalism the point is, because I am a member now, I act how I want because what's important to me isn't looking good for others. I'm not dimming it down because that's not my goal, so I wont be mod, and that's fine with me. (I work full time and I like to have a choice to come here instead of an obligation) When someone's a mod, that changes. Am I suitable for that role? Maybe not because of those reasons. Point is.. we need to find someone suitable for that role from the get-go.. or someone who genuinely changed and NOT changed for the goal to be a mod. Dipu was a good choice because he knows what the section needed, he's active, fair, approachable, and he wants to see change for the better there. Someone who takes others into consideration. That is what we need for modless sections. Are there other people in the same sort of situation as me? Probably. Do I want to see them modded for being modded's sake? Actually.. no. But we shouldn't discourage regular members from wanting to bump activity even if they're not "mod material." I believe you shouldn't have to be a mod to have your voice heard and make a change. I'm happy being a member for that reason (yesand a very loud one at that but heck, I'm Italian,you're gonna hear my voice from a mile away so "whatcha' gonna doabaoutit!"[/italian accent.]
TL;DR.. don't want a mod for activity's sake.. they need to be able to think smartly for the good of the communityand the individuals that approach them.
__________________
~Yuugiou Fan~
~Kamen Rider Fan~
♡(´・ω・`)LOVE! ☆

Last edited by Kura; May 6th, 2013 at 02:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #160    
Old May 6th, 2013, 02:05 AM
Captain Fabio's Avatar
Captain Fabio
The Shadow Pokémon
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: London, UK
Age: 24
Nature: Lax
Can I just say, my policy is if someone isn't fit for the role of Moderator, they don't get my vote. In my opinion, there is no point giving someone a position for the sake of filling the empty gap.

It has been discussed in HQ and doesn't really need any more discussion at this current moment in time, if I am honest.

I am not going to end the conversation, because that is harsh, but that is my opinion on the matter, as I am the ex-moderator of Video Games.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #161    
Old May 6th, 2013, 03:11 AM
Krookodile777's Avatar
Krookodile777
Togepi
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Gender: Male
My feedback is : RELAX

You guys take this way too seriously. I've had a few posts deleted, and a few threads locked. When there's technically nothing wrong with any of them.

Nitpicking which section things are in, and nitpicking how long posts are, is just stupid. I dislike overly serious moderators

I don't believe anything should ever be locked or deleted unless it contains offensive content.
__________________

https://www.pokecheck.org/?p=search&...15-61212-99488
Or 15-61212-99488 (Watch on your DS)
(^Good battle video of mine)
Reply With Quote
  #162    
Old May 6th, 2013, 04:26 AM
curiousnathan's Avatar
curiousnathan
they said we could be anything
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Australia
Gender: Male
Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krookodile777 View Post
My feedback is : RELAX

You guys take this way too seriously. I've had a few posts deleted, and a few threads locked. When there's technically nothing wrong with any of them.

Nitpicking which section things are in, and nitpicking how long posts are, is just stupid. I dislike overly serious moderators

I don't believe anything should ever be locked or deleted unless it contains offensive content.
I think that's understandable. But what I also think perhaps others should get to know is that sometimes, rules are put in place for a reason. Locking and moving off-topic posts and threads as well as deleting short (and generally lack-luster) posts is often necessary to upkeep a quality discussion that almost everyone will enjoy.
__________________
moderator | lovely pair | PC live
Reply With Quote
  #163    
Old May 6th, 2013, 05:03 AM
Major Ziggs's Avatar
Major Ziggs
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: England
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krookodile777 View Post
My feedback is : RELAX

You guys take this way too seriously. I've had a few posts deleted, and a few threads locked. When there's technically nothing wrong with any of them.

Nitpicking which section things are in, and nitpicking how long posts are, is just stupid. I dislike overly serious moderators

I don't believe anything should ever be locked or deleted unless it contains offensive content.
If you have specific examples or want to appeal against a lock/deletion then send a private message to the moderator that performed the action and they'll give you a more detailed reason of why the action was taken, and you'll have your opportunity to present your reasons for undoing said action. If you're truly not happy with the staff member's decision and you believe they'e not doing their job properly, that's when you private message a member of higher staff with the case and they'll once again explain the situation in more detail and provide a final decision.

Ultimately if you think that people are deleting too many of your posts/locking too many of your threads, perhaps it's worth taking a look at what you're actually posting before blaming the community for being too strict when 99% of other members get by perfectly fine?

I do agree that some moderators have been overly strict with their judgements in the past, but usually these have either been undone or realised and apologised for so I think if you just try talking to the staff members involved you'll have a better time here :)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #164    
Old May 6th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Troye's Avatar
Troye
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New York
Gender: Male
Nature: Lax
I just want to go ahead and applaud Shivi on his moderating of X/Y. We all know he is a seasoned veteran, but even so, a section that is for the newest Pokémon game being released tends to take a lot of work. There are always off-topic posts, duplicates, spam, and other random stuff that needs to take care of, and he's always on top of it. Having to keep track of the Thread Index is also a giant pain in the butt (I'd imagine at least, since it has to be udpated constantly), and he is doing a fantastic job. He's also incredibly friendly and approachable, which I find to be an important quality.

So yeah, just wanted to throw a random positive message into the mix!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #165    
Old May 14th, 2013, 09:36 PM
Mariah Carey's Avatar
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter Tier 4
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: 42 wallaby way sydney
Age: 20
Gender: Female
Nature: Sassy
A little heads up about the massive forum change would have been appreciated!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #166    
Old May 14th, 2013, 09:42 PM
Jak's Avatar
Jak
baby smod
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Alabama
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Nature: Timid
Agreeing with Chris here. You moved 4th Gen into GPGD without telling me back in February. That's lovely and dandy now I'm fine, but it really pissed me off that you didn't tell me. And now there's this mess. Please tell me you at least told those mods...even letting the members know would have been nice. Six forums in GPGD does not look cute, and seven in Off-Topic is just...



tl;dr Please at least let us know when these things are going to happen.
__________________

i'm gonna fly like a bird from the night
Reply With Quote
  #168    
Old May 14th, 2013, 09:47 PM
Belldandy's Avatar
Belldandy
ღ Cammybear ღ
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Nature: Timid
Holy beans o_0 Off-Topic looks so cluttered now! I have all categories other than Official Forums and Off-Topic collapsed 99% of the time because I never frequent the other boards (sometimes I open back up for X&Y if new stuff comes out) because there's too many boards.

Now there's too many boards in Off-Topic. Ergh.

Sydian said it right with Kardashian's granny couch dress. The couch wore it best!
__________________
FC: 4699-7283-5972
My Bloggy
My Trade Reviews
My Trade Thread
Friend Safari: Munna, Gothorita, Espurr
Native Scatterbugs: Polar, Ocean, Sun
Reply With Quote
  #169    
Old May 14th, 2013, 09:51 PM
Ausaudriel's Avatar
Ausaudriel
Chief Mechanic
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: San Francisco
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
Agreeing with Chris here. You moved 4th Gen into GPGD without telling me back in February. That's lovely and dandy now I'm fine, but it really pissed me off that you didn't tell me. And now there's this mess. Please tell me you at least told those mods...even letting the members know would have been nice. Six forums in GPGD does not look cute, and seven in Off-Topic is just..

tl;dr Please at least let us know when these things are going to happen.
Nobody was informed outside hstaff and I don't think it was particularly necessary. I'm fine with giving people a "heads up" to a degree but there comes a point where it's excessive, so I would appreciate it if you'd bend a little when we bend. I'm not going to fill out a form every time I want to take a breath.

That said, I realize the category doesn't look great as it is and I appreciate that part of the feedback. :( But it makes more sense. The Entertainment category was just silly, it barely described the boards in it and they belong more sensibly all together.
__________________
x paired with sylphiel x
x I am a magnet for all kinds of deeper wonderment x
x changelog x
Reply With Quote
  #170    
Old May 14th, 2013, 09:54 PM
Jak's Avatar
Jak
baby smod
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Alabama
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Nature: Timid
I'm not asking for hstaff to tell us literally everything, but a major forum change is something I feel we should know about. If not the members, at least the mods. After my experience with that a few months ago, I hope you at least told the mods of those forums.

Surely there could have been another way than to make a mega forum though? A renaming of the Entertainment category? Rewording the description? There had to be something.

Edit: Sigh. I don't want to post again, so Belldandy, I just want to say that scrolling is not that difficult.
__________________

i'm gonna fly like a bird from the night
Reply With Quote
  #171    
Old May 14th, 2013, 09:54 PM
Belldandy's Avatar
Belldandy
ღ Cammybear ღ
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Nature: Timid
But it's so fugly and IMO it doesn't make much sense like this either!

Not to mention, I have to pretty much scroll to get through those boards because there are too many. I only go into like, four or five boards: Member's Lounge, Q&F, CC&P, D&D and XY.

Sooo many boards @_@ and I think Entertainment described them perfectly.

- Video Games
- Internet & Technology
- General Entertainment

All scream Entertainment they're all forms of Entertainment (or grant access to Entertainment). They fit where they were. This is unfortunate.
__________________
FC: 4699-7283-5972
My Bloggy
My Trade Reviews
My Trade Thread
Friend Safari: Munna, Gothorita, Espurr
Native Scatterbugs: Polar, Ocean, Sun
Reply With Quote
  #172    
Old May 14th, 2013, 09:56 PM
Mariah Carey's Avatar
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter Tier 4
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: 42 wallaby way sydney
Age: 20
Gender: Female
Nature: Sassy
I hardly see how it's excessive considering an entire forum category just got deleted, but whatever.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #173    
Old May 21st, 2013, 04:18 PM
GenuineCorruption
Unhatched Egg
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Gender: Male
Hello.

I know that I am not around here much, but I do wish to say my piece if I may.

My friend Pokemonmasteraaron and I are both visually impaired. Though we are both reasonable and understand that rules exist for a reason, we feel we have been mistreated by select staff.

It started in January when he posted this thread:

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=295007
As you can see, Sydian closed this within minutes of its creation.

When Pokemonmasteraaron appealed this via PM, she explained that it broke an unwritten rule. I have never seen such a statement of general etiquette anywhere on the internet where it is frowned upon to make a request for assistance on a forum and see if anyone is interested, so at this point I got involved myself. I carefully read the community rules and guidelines as well as the rules for the hoen section. The above thread didn’t break any of them so I PM'd Sydian to ask what this was all about.

She ignored my PMs and so I posted this thread:

http://www.pokecommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-295068.html

The topic was closed and we were asked to discuss the issue privately, which we then further attempted to do.

Later, I received an infraction supposedly for stalking and causing emotional distress. Though I understand how this conclusion came to be (I had sent several PMS over the course of about a week), someone who cannot handle adult-to-adult disagreements and is that uncomfortable when being wrong is simply not moderator material. Since the infraction was issued by Patchisou Yutohru, I proceeded to take it up withhim, asking that he quote the site rule which PMA's post broke. As he could not do so, he overturned the infraction though this was the best I could get. He then promised to investigate the issue and then promptly stopped communicating with me. When TOPM wrote back two months later for an update he simply stated that it was Sydian's decision to lock the topic.

This past weekend he wrote a letter to the webmaster via the contact us link which was also disregarded.

Though I have no solid evidence to prove discrimination in this case, the circumstantial evidence sure does. Even if her decision to close that thread had nothing to do with the fact that we are visually impaired, it definitely was nothing to do with forum rules either as there are none that cover the issue in question. The unwritten rule argument is ambiguous and suggests discrimination as it simply doesn't exist on the internet or in real life. The argument that it wouldn't generate enough discussion has no evidence to back it up since the type of thread it was is unprecedented. Even so, to say it won't generate discussion and then lock it down so to make sure it can't is illogical. I have posted similar threads in other communities which continued to spark discussion for over a year.
If the issue of topics which don't spark is a server space issue (understandable), a solution might be to prune threads which got fewer than X posts and have been dead for X days (most forum platforms have built-in functionality to accomplish this and I am sure VBulletin is no exception).

I suppose that what I am trying to say is that it is unfair for topics to be closed based on the forum leader's personal opinion on the issue.

I won't get into this but I also posted a save hacking thread in the emulation section which was closed.

These are all examples of topics closed for things which don't break a rule. If rom hacking is permitted but save hacking is not, then let that be known via the forum rules. If it is not appropriate to come on and ask for map-related assistance with the game (where to go, how to get there) then let that be known as well.

We both continue to look forward to a fare resolution to this problem. To be told that a *perfectly on-topic and rule compliant* thread (Gen3 posted in Gen3forums) is simply not welcome on the site is cold and makes people feel unwelcome.
What we both hope to get from this is to have the thread moved to a location where it may be permitted to exist and reopened, or to be permitted to repost it elsewhere.
Thanks,

GenuineCorruption.

Last edited by GenuineCorruption; May 21st, 2013 at 04:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #174    
Old May 21st, 2013, 04:28 PM
Cordelia
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Nature: Sassy
You do realize that you are obsessing over this, right? Syd closed a thread using her discretion as a moderator. Asking someone to make you a walkthrough is not what the Advance Generation Gaming forum is for. You could ask people in VM or PM, but not in a forum. The forum is built for discussion and his thread was just asking for someone to do something for him.

It's been over four months and until recently, your friend seemed to be fine with it. You, on the other hand, have on and off obsessed over this for months. Personally, I think you should let it go. She was not being malicious with her closure and has only reacted to your provocations and stalking.
Reply With Quote
  #175    
Old May 21st, 2013, 04:50 PM
GenuineCorruption
Unhatched Egg
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Gender: Male
Hello,
My obsessing over it may be true. However, I stand for what is right, and being able to post a generation three pokemon game related topic in a generation three pokemon forum regardless of life circumstances is what is right.
I am sure the community would rather have a forum topic about it than having every single user PM'd. If this is the case, then by all means document it ("Making posts requesting assistance with the main game is not permitted in the forums and is to be reserved for private messaging").
My friend and I have been busy with school, we haven't had time to continue. We have however continued discussion of what we should do next.
We are by no means "fine" with it, we were just waiting for a break from real life that would be long enough to get involved with it again.
Besides, what did the community have to gain from having it closed? Nothing? (which suggests it was more of a personal issue). Since he didn't break any rules, his thread being allowed to exist (and hopefully generate some discussion, if nothing more than just cureous questions) caused harm to nobody.
So why couldn't it have just been left alone, and if it got out of hand or caused any other problems (which it wouldn't have), then be dealt with as it was?

Last edited by GenuineCorruption; May 21st, 2013 at 05:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 07:39 AM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.