• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Staff Feedback Thread! [read the first post!]

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
If anyone has trouble keeping track of staff, or wants to see who there is, there's the Forum Leaders page which lists us all. It's nice to have, even if I only found out about it the other day.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
Also adding onto what Maruno said, we've started posting staff changes in the updates thread in Announcements now. So it should be much easier to keep track of who gets modded and promoted!

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
I don't know if my opinion counts for anything here, but I don'tfeel someone should haplassly be modded just so the section could have a mod, nor should someone be modded right away because either the excitement is there at first and suddenly dies/ life things come up.. or it's like they're TRYING for mod. A good example of this is Pave Low.. now not to rain on him.. he's a good guy! Was SUUUPER active in VG, but not only that, he knew what VG needed, and he wasn't there just making discussion, he was there trying to promote events and make a change too. Then life took a hold of him and I hardly have seen him anymore for the past few months. Snap, just like that.. and I think although he has a bit more time now.. it wasn't like when he first came back here which is a shame! Going back to members being able tohost events and mods encouraging them to do so, if they felt they had more freedom to make suggestions (which is happening now, thankfully, thanks to threads like this..) then we can see who really wants to make a section thrive and who is really going to do well as a moderator in that section- not because we need someone to make or close threads- but someone who is TRULY passionate about it. If it takes a little longer to wait around for then.. then..I rather wait.
Your argument isn't really valid because Other Tabletop Games had a mod but the section still died on us. So did the anime forum that got merged into G E. Does G.E even have a mod or does mr.catdog mostly oversee it?

So no for modding someone in VG just for the sake of modding. Yes there are a few regulars there but there needs to be some drive, too. Especially since I remember how Captain Fabio was so adamant when he was a regular mod.. we need someone who has that same passion.

I tl;dr digress...
Asfor the announcement thing being added... COOOLL! Ithink it is a nice addition and it is great to see updates! Iam happy to see this added.

edit:if we were gonna mod someone based on activity alone.. then I probably might even be modded because Other Chat and Polls have been my home for ages.. but there are too many factors to think about, like how I would handle a situation. Being active or even wanting to see change isn't the only thing to think about. Most people would think I would be to brash or harsh- which is probably right because I can throw a fit at times/ want things to go my way. And whilst that behaviour would probably be dimmed down if I ever was a mod due to professionalism the point is, because I am a member now, I act how I want because what's important to me isn't looking good for others. I'm not dimming it down because that's not my goal, so I wont be mod, and that's fine with me. (I work full time and I like to have a choice to come here instead of an obligation) When someone's a mod, that changes. Am I suitable for that role? Maybe not because of those reasons. Point is.. we need to find someone suitable for that role from the get-go.. or someone who genuinely changed and NOT changed for the goal to be a mod. Dipu was a good choice because he knows what the section needed, he's active, fair, approachable, and he wants to see change for the better there. Someone who takes others into consideration. That is what we need for modless sections. Are there other people in the same sort of situation as me? Probably. Do I want to see them modded for being modded's sake? Actually.. no. But we shouldn't discourage regular members from wanting to bump activity even if they're not "mod material." I believe you shouldn't have to be a mod to have your voice heard and make a change. I'm happy being a member for that reason (yesand a very loud one at that but heck, I'm Italian,you're gonna hear my voice from a mile away so "whatcha' gonna doabaoutit!"[/italian accent.]
TL;DR.. don't want a mod for activity's sake.. they need to be able to think smartly for the good of the communityand the individuals that approach them.

Last edited:
Years
Can I just say, my policy is if someone isn't fit for the role of Moderator, they don't get my vote. In my opinion, there is no point giving someone a position for the sake of filling the empty gap.

It has been discussed in HQ and doesn't really need any more discussion at this current moment in time, if I am honest.

I am not going to end the conversation, because that is harsh, but that is my opinion on the matter, as I am the ex-moderator of Video Games.​

Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2013
My feedback is : RELAX

You guys take this way too seriously. I've had a few posts deleted, and a few threads locked. When there's technically nothing wrong with any of them.

Nitpicking which section things are in, and nitpicking how long posts are, is just stupid. I dislike overly serious moderators

I don't believe anything should ever be locked or deleted unless it contains offensive content.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years

You guys take this way too seriously. I've had a few posts deleted, and a few threads locked. When there's technically nothing wrong with any of them.

Nitpicking which section things are in, and nitpicking how long posts are, is just stupid. I dislike overly serious moderators

I don't believe anything should ever be locked or deleted unless it contains offensive content.

I think that's understandable. But what I also think perhaps others should get to know is that sometimes, rules are put in place for a reason. Locking and moving off-topic posts and threads as well as deleting short (and generally lack-luster) posts is often necessary to upkeep a quality discussion that almost everyone will enjoy.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023

If you have specific examples or want to appeal against a lock/deletion then send a private message to the moderator that performed the action and they'll give you a more detailed reason of why the action was taken, and you'll have your opportunity to present your reasons for undoing said action. If you're truly not happy with the staff member's decision and you believe they'e not doing their job properly, that's when you private message a member of higher staff with the case and they'll once again explain the situation in more detail and provide a final decision.

Ultimately if you think that people are deleting too many of your posts/locking too many of your threads, perhaps it's worth taking a look at what you're actually posting before blaming the community for being too strict when 99% of other members get by perfectly fine?

I do agree that some moderators have been overly strict with their judgements in the past, but usually these have either been undone or realised and apologised for so I think if you just try talking to the staff members involved you'll have a better time here :)

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I just want to go ahead and applaud Shivi on his moderating of X/Y. We all know he is a seasoned veteran, but even so, a section that is for the newest Pokémon game being released tends to take a lot of work. There are always off-topic posts, duplicates, spam, and other random stuff that needs to take care of, and he's always on top of it. Having to keep track of the Thread Index is also a giant pain in the butt (I'd imagine at least, since it has to be udpated constantly), and he is doing a fantastic job. He's also incredibly friendly and approachable, which I find to be an important quality.

So yeah, just wanted to throw a random positive message into the mix!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Agreeing with Chris here. You moved 4th Gen into GPGD without telling me back in February. That's lovely and dandy now I'm fine, but it really pissed me off that you didn't tell me. And now there's this mess. Please tell me you at least told those mods...even letting the members know would have been nice. Six forums in GPGD does not look cute, and seven in Off-Topic is just...

kimk_2558400a.jpg

tl;dr Please at least let us know when these things are going to happen.

Reactions: Her

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
hm makes sense to put them all together. gj hstaff.

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
Holy beans o_0 Off-Topic looks so cluttered now! I have all categories other than Official Forums and Off-Topic collapsed 99% of the time because I never frequent the other boards (sometimes I open back up for X&Y if new stuff comes out) because there's too many boards.

Now there's too many boards in Off-Topic. Ergh.

Sydian said it right with Kardashian's granny couch dress. The couch wore it best!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I'm not asking for hstaff to tell us literally everything, but a major forum change is something I feel we should know about. If not the members, at least the mods. After my experience with that a few months ago, I hope you at least told the mods of those forums.

Surely there could have been another way than to make a mega forum though? A renaming of the Entertainment category? Rewording the description? There had to be something.

Edit: Sigh. I don't want to post again, so Belldandy, I just want to say that scrolling is not that difficult.

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
But it's so fugly :( and IMO it doesn't make much sense like this either!

Not to mention, I have to pretty much scroll to get through those boards because there are too many. I only go into like, four or five boards: Member's Lounge, Q&F, CC&P, D&D and XY.

Sooo many boards @_@ and I think Entertainment described them perfectly.

- Video Games
- Internet & Technology
- General Entertainment

All scream Entertainment :( they're all forms of Entertainment (or grant access to Entertainment). They fit where they were. This is unfortunate.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
I hardly see how it's excessive considering an entire forum category just got deleted, but whatever.

Years
  • Seen Jan 2, 2014
Hello.

I know that I am not around here much, but I do wish to say my piece if I may.

My friend Pokemonmasteraaron and I are both visually impaired. Though we are both reasonable and understand that rules exist for a reason, we feel we have been mistreated by select staff.

It started in January when he posted this thread:

[URL="http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=295007"]http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=295007[/URL]
As you can see, Sydian closed this within minutes of its creation.

When Pokemonmasteraaron appealed this via PM, she explained that it broke an unwritten rule. I have never seen such a statement of general etiquette anywhere on the internet where it is frowned upon to make a request for assistance on a forum and see if anyone is interested, so at this point I got involved myself. I carefully read the community rules and guidelines as well as the rules for the hoen section. The above thread didn't break any of them so I PM'd Sydian to ask what this was all about.

She ignored my PMs and so I posted this thread:

http://www.pokecommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-295068.html

The topic was closed and we were asked to discuss the issue privately, which we then further attempted to do.

Later, I received an infraction supposedly for stalking and causing emotional distress. Though I understand how this conclusion came to be (I had sent several PMS over the course of about a week), someone who cannot handle adult-to-adult disagreements and is that uncomfortable when being wrong is simply not moderator material. Since the infraction was issued by Patchisou Yutohru, I proceeded to take it up withhim, asking that he quote the site rule which PMA's post broke. As he could not do so, he overturned the infraction though this was the best I could get. He then promised to investigate the issue and then promptly stopped communicating with me. When TOPM wrote back two months later for an update he simply stated that it was Sydian's decision to lock the topic.

This past weekend he wrote a letter to the webmaster via the contact us link which was also disregarded.

Though I have no solid evidence to prove discrimination in this case, the circumstantial evidence sure does. Even if her decision to close that thread had nothing to do with the fact that we are visually impaired, it definitely was nothing to do with forum rules either as there are none that cover the issue in question. The unwritten rule argument is ambiguous and suggests discrimination as it simply doesn't exist on the internet or in real life. The argument that it wouldn't generate enough discussion has no evidence to back it up since the type of thread it was is unprecedented. Even so, to say it won't generate discussion and then lock it down so to make sure it can't is illogical. I have posted similar threads in other communities which continued to spark discussion for over a year.
If the issue of topics which don't spark is a server space issue (understandable), a solution might be to prune threads which got fewer than X posts and have been dead for X days (most forum platforms have built-in functionality to accomplish this and I am sure VBulletin is no exception).

I suppose that what I am trying to say is that it is unfair for topics to be closed based on the forum leader's personal opinion on the issue.

I won't get into this but I also posted a save hacking thread in the emulation section which was closed.

These are all examples of topics closed for things which don't break a rule. If rom hacking is permitted but save hacking is not, then let that be known via the forum rules. If it is not appropriate to come on and ask for map-related assistance with the game (where to go, how to get there) then let that be known as well.

We both continue to look forward to a fare resolution to this problem. To be told that a *perfectly on-topic and rule compliant* thread (Gen3 posted in Gen3forums) is simply not welcome on the site is cold and makes people feel unwelcome.
What we both hope to get from this is to have the thread moved to a location where it may be permitted to exist and reopened, or to be permitted to repost it elsewhere.
Thanks,

GenuineCorruption.

Last edited:

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
You do realize that you are obsessing over this, right? Syd closed a thread using her discretion as a moderator. Asking someone to make you a walkthrough is not what the Advance Generation Gaming forum is for. You could ask people in VM or PM, but not in a forum. The forum is built for discussion and his thread was just asking for someone to do something for him.

It's been over four months and until recently, your friend seemed to be fine with it. You, on the other hand, have on and off obsessed over this for months. Personally, I think you should let it go. She was not being malicious with her closure and has only reacted to your provocations and stalking.

Years
  • Seen Jan 2, 2014
Hello,
My obsessing over it may be true. However, I stand for what is right, and being able to post a generation three pokemon game related topic in a generation three pokemon forum regardless of life circumstances is what is right.
I am sure the community would rather have a forum topic about it than having every single user PM'd. If this is the case, then by all means document it ("Making posts requesting assistance with the main game is not permitted in the forums and is to be reserved for private messaging").
My friend and I have been busy with school, we haven't had time to continue. We have however continued discussion of what we should do next.
We are by no means "fine" with it, we were just waiting for a break from real life that would be long enough to get involved with it again.
Besides, what did the community have to gain from having it closed? Nothing? (which suggests it was more of a personal issue). Since he didn't break any rules, his thread being allowed to exist (and hopefully generate some discussion, if nothing more than just cureous questions) caused harm to nobody.
So why couldn't it have just been left alone, and if it got out of hand or caused any other problems (which it wouldn't have), then be dealt with as it was?

Last edited:

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
We just simply don't allow threads asking for such specific help. If someone asked for a Pokemon Black walkthrough in the 5th generation forum I'm sure it'd be locked. Same thing with any of the other generation forums. We are not discriminating against you or your friend in any way, shape or form. It just doesn't really fit as a topic, that's all. I'm sorry, but that's just it. :( It plain does not fit.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
She ignored my PMs and so I posted this thread:

Let me tell you something about this right now, even though I'm sure you won't understand.

You were bothering me. I didn't even want to get on this forum because you were seriously creeping me out and bothering me. I felt like I was in a corner and I felt like I was being harassed by you. You should never in any way, shape, or form make someone feel so uncomfortable for doing an action that you make them not even want to sign on this forum, especially when it's someone that has things to do here. You just don't.

I stand by why I closed that thread. You may stand up for what is right, and that's fine. I definitely understand. But when it was something that happened so long ago and you come back in late May still harping over it, you honestly need to get over it. I gave Aaron another alternative to his thread that I locked. It doesn't and will never belong in any of my forums and that's final. I am not changing my mind.

And let me tell you another thing. I do not discriminate against anyone for anything, especially when it comes to impairments and disabilities. I do not care if you're black, white, blue, blind, autistic, schizophrenic, or a rabbit. I don't care. I treated Aaron's thread how I would treat anyone's thread had they posted a topic asking for someone to create them a walkthrough.

I don't care how harsh this sounds, and I'm normally not like this to members, but really. If you care so much about this thread being locked, and it was months ago I might add, you should reconsider your priorities. You care this much about something that happened on a Pokemon forum? You probably need to take a break from the internet. And clearly the time you spent away from PC since this incident wasn't long enough. But you're debating over something I have explained before, many times, and even gave alternative solutions for. So let me repeat them:

1. I locked his thread because I don't allow people to ask for walkthroughs to be made for them.
2. I told Aaron he could contact Captain Fabio about posting a thread for it in the Let's Plays and Walkthroughs subforum in Video Games. Don't go pestering him about it like you did with me, by the way. I won't stand for you messing with my friends. Feel free to talk to him politely about it though.
3. I stand by my decision. I am not changing it. No one else is changing it. It is final. And if you really don't like it, you can leave.

This sounds harsh I'm sure, but honestly, I am really tired of this. It's gone on for too long and I'm tired of having to explain my reasons over and over to you.

Back