Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Off-Topic Discussions > The Round Table
Reload this Page [News] Airline to increase fares for overweight passengers

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

The Round Table Have a seat at the Round Table for in-depth discussions, extended or serious conversations, and current events. From world news to talks on life, growing up, relationships, and issues in society, this is the place to be. Come be a knight.

Old April 3rd, 2013 (11:23 AM).
just a guy
CS

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy
Does that mean people underweight get discounts? How about the little kids who way next to nothing?

This is kind of silly, in my opinion. Taking weight into account of ticket price is being very specific. Not to mention time consuming. You mean people are going to have to get themselves weighed when checking in their luggage? That's going to anger a lot of people waiting in line and is just going to take up unnecessary time.

Gosh, I hope this isn't something that catches on between other airlines. You know airline companies will look for any new way to get more money and this could be the start of a new fad for them.

I guess there is a bright side to this though. If people start to realize their weight is costing them more money that they don't otherwise need to be spending, then perhaps they will become more aware of their own personal health and obesity issues and work to lose a few pounds.

I still think this is a silly policy though.
Old April 3rd, 2013 (09:22 PM).
Super Moderator
CS

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Stormbringer
This is just plain asking for a discrimination lawsuit from a customer. It's basically profiling.
Old April 3rd, 2013 (10:15 PM).
naughty biscotti
Crystal Tier

Nature: Relaxed
I think price discrimination is usually legal in most places though. And it's clear in the business's policy and they're a private entity, so I don't think you can force them to change their policy.
#363 Spheal
Supporter Collab January 2015
mod of nothing
paired to Axeliira
Old April 5th, 2013 (08:34 PM).
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Gold Tier

Nature: Lax
Quote originally posted by BlahISuck:
I think price discrimination is usually legal in most places though. And it's clear in the business's policy and they're a private entity, so I don't think you can force them to change their policy.
Maybe in Samoa. In the US, it is illegal. Putting something in a "policy" doesn't make you immune from US anti-discrimination law. I can't start a business with a sign that says "company policy is blacks pay double." It just doesn't work that way.

I think this is unfair because weight is not always something that you can control. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. It's unfair to ask someone to pay more for identical service for something they quite possibly don't have any control over. What about tall people? There's a direct correlation between height and weight; this sort of thing would punish you for being taller. That's absurd.

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." - H. L. Mencken, unsourced

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links